• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of stupid dungeon speedruns but now the pendulum has swung so far the other way, it's hard to find dungeons for doing books now. I'm actually trying to do books between hunts so I don't waste the Myth and that's a pain the ass right now to get the required dungeons.

Can't get anyone in the FC to help?

Looks pretty active on Ragnarok. Granted, there aren't many BRAYFLOX SR FARM 2 BOSSES party, but I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Yes I'm very happy that none of the new dungeons are really speed run friendly...well I think Hullbreaker might be but they're short enough as is.

dcye

Best part about hunts is all the myth I've been rolling in. All classes fully kitted out in i90 ty based Yoshi.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Ramuh Extreme is pretty fun. Much better than mindless hunts.

This is what gets me. It does show that for all the platitudes some people may belt out about wanting new content, they're largely in it for the loot, and if there's a brain dead way to get it they will. Forget the satisfaction of actually beating interesting, challenging content, as long as they get that shiny new staff or whatever, they're good.

Hopefully I'll hit level cap soon and can actually join you guys for some FC runs of whatever, though I do worry it may take longer to unlock stuff , getting through all the old EX fights and whatnot, with people not queueing from much of anything and doing hunts instead. >_<

20 minute tank queue for Hullbreaker

this is pretty sad. especially for a new dungeon.

This is what gets me. It does show that for all the platitudes some people may belt out about wanting new content, they're largely in it for the loot, and if there's a brain dead way to get it they will. Forget the satisfaction of actually beating interesting, challenging content, as long as they get that shiny new staff or whatever, they're good.

Hopefully I'll hit level cap soon and can actually join you guys for some FC runs of whatever, though I do worry it may take longer to unlock stuff , getting through all the old EX fights and whatnot, with people not queueing from much of anything and doing hunts instead. >_<

yes, lots of people are only in for the reward. they don't care how bad the content is they're spending time with.

Home

Restarted my sub and made a new character on Ultros to play with some friends. Had no idea that there was a GAF FC on this server, and assumed it was a coincidence that the tag was GAF until I actually looked at the profile hah.

Sophia

Le sigh. Two hours spent on Moggle Mog Extreme. Three close attempts. Not a single kill. And the second healer we had was trying to "lecture" me when I had spent the previous attempt basically single healing.

I hate players sometimes.

i've been playing a bit of frontlines between all the world cup hype. it reminds me of the smaller battlegrounds in early WoW. the map is a bit simple, but still good enough for a first time effort. it's a bit tedious to run around as a melee all day and have casters sprinting away from you all the time. at least hit detection works better than expected. i do get lag spikes when too much stuff is going on, but i assume everyone gets those at the same time. oh and healer teams can suck it.

with all that myth/soldiery rain, there is no reason to skip this. everyone should try a few games and see how they like it.

IT'S MINE! AHAHAHAHA! *fallsover.*

grats. did you log how long it took total time? :D

I really need to give Frontlines a try. After capping soldiery and getting some overmelds done, there isn't a lot to do. Are melee at a big disadvantage?

Sophia

I really need to give Frontlines a try. After capping soldiery and getting some overmelds done, there isn't a lot to do. Are melee at a big disadvantage?

No. Melee are actually very useful because they can harass casters, stopping their spells and forcing them out of key locations.

WolvenOne

I started a few days after the quest-line was made available. So, about a month I guess. Actually forced myself to slow down after awhile, since all those Bray speed runs were driving me batty.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've heard Tanks are kinda pointless in Frontlines, this this true?

Yes.

When a White Mage can protect themselves better than I can protect them, well, why even bother?

My strategy for frontlines is to just mark SCH/WHM and then Stun/Silence them whenever they try to do their bullshit. Occasionally, I throw Cover/Tetsudo on the nearest allied healer.

Once the healer is down, I just pick whichever DPS has the lowest HP and spam Shield Bash.

Sophia

I've heard Tanks are kinda pointless in Frontlines, this this true?

Marauders can do decent damage. Paladins are pretty much worthless outside of harassing healers and casters, although they are exceptional at that. I haven't tried Gladiator yet but I imagine the results is better thanks to cross-class skills giving you some actual ability.

rocketobear

Neo Member
Tried Ramuh EX for the first time and got some good practice in. Finally got passed the add phase after a ton of wipes, but it was fun. :D Thanks all to the gaffers that were in the party. :3

iammeiam

Le sigh. Two hours spent on Moggle Mog Extreme. Three close attempts. Not a single kill. And the second healer we had was trying to "lecture" me when I had spent the previous attempt basically single healing.

I hate players sometimes.

Spent the weekend wiping in Levi EX, and realized "slow DPS" is the explanation for everything in that fight. Healer dying before spumes every time? Slow DPS. Nobody pushes the button because tank runs over to it and then just hangs out? Slow DPS. Everyone but me ignoring the fear add? I shoulda been faster and prevented a couple of fear puddles and an AOE fear (give me a stun I will stun the shit out of that guy but, alas.)Also had one run where the MT just decided to stop tanking before anyone died because he figured a wipe was inevitable.

I just want to see beard-man combat Titan Egi. ;_;

Taruranto

oKNJV4J.jpg

<.<

plds can output the same amt of dmg as mrd in the long term. plus actually cover and tetsudo is pretty useful in frontlines. Defensive cooldowns also allow me to soak up a bunch of dmg while killing ppl.

Like today I was half health and solo'd two ppl since I'm just that good with pld

edit: but like with mrd you will need to put points into strength otherwise you're worthless

Qvoth

i've been on vacation for about a week, seems like things have gotten out of hand with the hunting situation :(
hope tonberry's not so bad

CLBridges

I've been having some good fun with this new patch. Frontlines is pretty much what I think PVP should have been from the start. So easy to get Marks, Myth and Soldiery just doing that for a couple of hours. My last couple of days have been spent wiping in Ramuh X, but it's been fun doing so.

I can't help but feel that if voice chat was easily accessible for all FFXIV players, content would get cleared more easily. I'm sure the first people to down Ramuh X was a static group with voice comm. Oh well, it is what it is.

ReaperXL7

Man I wish I had given summoner a fair shake sooner then I had. I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying playing ACN. It's really cool that I can fill various roles depending on which Summon I have active in the moment.

Yesterday while leveling we had a pretty poor MRD tank when I did my Low DF and he just could not seem to get the mechanics of his class worked out and then dropped because he decided to rage quit. We were going to wait to see if another tank popped in but as it turns out Topaz Carby is fully capable of tanking Tam Tara NM so myself, a LCN, and a CNJ cleared it with my Carby picking up the Tank role.

I also find managing my dots,support skills,and pets to be a lot of fun. I don't know if it will replace PLD as my main job but so far it's the job that had the best chance of doing so.

Is there any information on wether or not Summoners will get Levi or new Summons any time in the future?

Considering burst is king in PvP I'm not sure how much that argument holds.

it holds up pretty well in front lines where you have target multiple ppl. short CDs on cos and spirits within are very nice. also full swing+sword oath+fof+glory slash and those two also does significant DMG burst. having a 13 second stun was super useful till the nerf

Apoptomon

Is there any information on wether or not Summoners will get Levi or new Summons any time in the future?
I think they've said that Levi-egi and Ramuh-egi will be released around expansion time, when all classes and jobs will get more skills alongside a level cap increase. How they'll work given that the current ones have fairly well defined roles and uses is another matter, but I believe they're looking into that too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
How to fix the hunts
- Dynamically increase HP on Elite Marks as more people approach the vicinity of the monster. This shouldn't be an impossibility for the engine considering FATEs already have a range.
- Increase the payout on personal dailies by 10 (are 1 seal things a practical joke?)
- Increase the payout on weekly to 50, personalize it
- Add daily reward to Duty Roulette for completing Low Level, Main Scenario, Trials, High Level and Expert equal to 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 seals respectively
- In accordance with a player being able to earn 270 seals solo daily, increase the price on the most sought-after items by one or two blood-spattered logs and/or remove them as random drops.
- (optionally) Do not weigh the seal payout against personal damage/enmity contribution

Boom, people are back in instances and aren't jumping each other's throats as much.

Nah, we'll just find something else to be vile about.

Seriously back to non-Hunts discussion...that new healing robe from the new dungeons is too good.

MogCakes

tam-tara HM is horrible for a SMN. The final fight - how the hell am I supposed to kill the adds fast enough? They take only 8 seconds or so to reach the center, and that's about the amount of time it takes for me to get a fester in. Then I have to spend another 7.5 seconds setting up for a fester on another add....the fight is a burst DPS check, which SMN is sorely lacking in. How do I get past this part?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
tam-tara HM is horrible for a SMN. The final fight - how the hell am I supposed to kill the adds fast enough? They take only 8 seconds or so to reach the center, and that's about the amount of time it takes for me to get a fester in. Then I have to spend another 7.5 seconds setting up for a fester on another add....the fight is a burst DPS check, which SMN is sorely lacking in. How do I get past this part?

Does Miasma not slow them down?

ReaperXL7

I have seen a few people say that using Tri Disaster on the zombies can bind them which should give some time to work through their hp. I have not tried this myself just yet though since i'm still working on getting to 50 on SMN

I agree with this. Gave some feedback to a friend at SE Japan so we'll see what comes of it.

Oh god no. Your ideas have been terrible.

Hunts and their rewards are fine, and everything suggested to change them are short term fixes that will make the game worse long term when hunts become old hat and no longer have hordes of people. Especially when people are on the next tier of content and now an old way to get some lover ilvl gear has been nerfed because some people didn't like casual players to get sands easily. I don't know why people are saying duty finder is dead either, I've even been going DPS lately instead of tank and have had 5 minute ques for the new dungeons all week.

Reknoc

Casual players aint getting shit from hunts since i doubt most of them want to deal with the idiot baby horde that seems to have been attracted to hunts

BadRNG

Oh god no. Your ideas have been terrible.

Hunts and their rewards are fine, and everything suggested to change them are short term fixes that will make the game worse long term when hunts become old hat and no longer have hordes of people. Especially when people are on the next tier of content and now an old way to get some lover ilvl gear has been nerfed because some people didn't like casual players to get sands easily. I don't know why people are saying duty finder is dead either, I've even been going DPS lately instead of tank and have had 5 minute ques for the new dungeons all week.
Casuals getting geared easier doesn't bother me, though the current speed is a bit much, the real issue is that hunts are currently the best way to progress in every PvE aspect of the game. That seems extremely broken considering they are basically fates that don't appear on the map. The rewards are simply too good for how easy it all is, which yes does include sands (getting 3-4 sands a week for this is ridiculous considering coil lockouts), but also includes the bucket-loads of myth/soldiery on top of Alexandrite. And that's just for the veteran players, the new ones benefit hugely as well due to how cheap the old AF2 gear is. Really it trivializes all other PvE avenues in the game. Why even run dungeons at all?

Also do you not think they will add new rewards in further patches? Or that somehow myth/soldiery won't always be in high demand? I've heard the idea that people will just get tired of hunts and move on so many times now, but I don't know why you'd think that with how it is currently set up. No alternative exists that can compare to what you get in hunts, and no matter how grindy it is people have proven they will do it if it means new shiny gear. Look at all the people who kept fate farming again and again for Atma/Animus/Novus, or the constant Bray HM speed runs, they were the best/most efficient options available and so most people did them.

Casual players aint getting shit from hunts since i doubt most of them want to deal with the idiot baby horde that seems to have been attracted to hunts
There are tons of players who have either never stepped foot in coil or have barely progressed in there at all running around with multiple sands already. Casuals are amongst the horde, nearly everyone is at this point.

Reknoc

There are tons of players who have either never stepped foot in coil or have barely progressed in there at all running around with multiple sands already. Casuals are amongst the horde, nearly everyone is at this point.

oh. I don't really see how someone can't be bothered to do coil but can deal with the hunt drama.

I'm not going to bother with hunts unless I'm already by it, not enough time in the day to deal with that much babee crying

IMBored

Our video of the Titan Egi tank strategy with Ramuh: http://www.twitch.tv/nova_crystallis/c/4660096

Titan-Egi is the real wellfare system of FFXIV.

oh. I don't really see how someone can't be bothered to do coil but can deal with the hunt drama.

One of the biggest challenges of second coil is getting a static and committing to set raid times, lots of people can't or don't want to do this but can just join a hunt linkshell and follow hordes for 2-3 hours a day without any commitment. It helps that hunts are the best way for myth and sold right now, the only things that are used are gil and sanity. I got enough for 2 sands this weekend, capped myth 3 times, and will only be back to get myth for my last book.

Hasney

I'm not going to bother with hunts unless I'm already by it, not enough time in the day to deal with that much babee crying

Meh, it's fairly simple to deal with by just ignoring it or laughing at it. Set chat filter for just your party and FC for ignoring, hit up the hunts and if you screw up and pull early, manderville while everyone around you starts crying.

Reknoc

Titan-Egi is the real wellfare system of FFXIV.

One of the biggest challenges of second coil is getting a static and committing to set raid times, lots of people can't or don't want to do this but can just join a hunt linkshell and follow hordes for 2-3 hours a day without any commitment. It helps that hunts are the best way for myth and sold right now, the only things that are used are gil and sanity. I got enough for 2 sands this weekend, capped myth 3 times, and will only be back to get myth for my last book.

Oh, fair enough then.

Meh, it's fairly simple to deal with by just ignoring it or laughing at it. Set chat filter for just your party and FC for ignoring, hit up the hunts and if you screw up and pull early, manderville while everyone around you starts crying.

actually I guess hunts are the best content

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
i've been playing a bit of frontlines between all the world cup hype. it reminds me of the smaller battlegrounds in early WoW. the map is a bit simple, but still good enough for a first time effort. it's a bit tedious to run around as a melee all day and have casters sprinting away from you all the time. at least hit detection works better than expected. i do get lag spikes when too much stuff is going on, but i assume everyone gets those at the same time. oh and healer teams can suck it.

with all that myth/soldiery rain, there is no reason to skip this. everyone should try a few games and see how they like it.

Played my first game a couple nights ago, skewered a few mages in a row as a DRG, had a blast. Got a win for the Twin Adders. Was amazing.

I'm definitely going to play more. It's a lot of fun.

IvorB

Not really. Been doing DF to collect tomes the last couple of weeks, but now that I was able to bang out the rest of the tomes in basically a couple of hours there just is no incentive for me to play anymore. I don't know, I could try to get more mounts or something, but seriously it just crossed my mind after equipping my last i100 gear yesterday, why am I still playing this. I've gone from addicted to basically zero interest; it's really weird.

That is really weird, man. What is the point of collecting all that gear if you're not gonna actually go to the fight and use it? You should play Warframe next. I think you would like it since you love the straight up, never-ending loot grind.

Soooooo... I see we are still b*tching about hunts. How soon before Square fixes it you reckon?

This weekend I didn't get to play at all :-(. Whenever I decide to go out and get wasted I always end up in trouble so I think it's better for me to just binge on FF all weekend. Next weekend I'm gonna play this game properly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom