• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby2096

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/gamebooks/ff/14_arr_collection2014_sp/

The Official Eorzean Fashion/Lifestyle magazine is released tomorrow, 432 pages. I feel the need to grab a copy! o_o

final-fantasy-xiv-shinsei-eorzea-collection-2014-mirage-prism-h-368125.1.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Puppy pls. The only thing Titan egi does is circumvent tank swapping; the rest of the mechanics are still being executed, I'd hardly compare this to T2 Enrage (which ignore mechanics all together), all this does is givie the finger to players like Grimm.
lol, Grimm <3

Sorry brah but this, It'll probably get patched but /shrug

You haven't tanked this fight.

The final phase gets rough since 4 static orbs spawn. 3 are needed for Rolling Thunder and 3 are needed for tank swap. This starts the delicate game of when to have the tank extend with 1 orb and when to have the orbs ready for Rolling Thunder. If any DPS accidentally takes an orb; it is a wipe.

This makes the fight insanely easy. Way easier than intended.

The fact that Ramuh's tank killing move penetrates Hollowed Ground and Holmgang, but barely touches Titan EGI shows something is really wrong.

It will be patched. You guys will see.

At least while it is bugged I can find more parties to run with; whereas I could only find a few competent enough people to finish before this was well-known.

Ken

For some reason I doubt they'll patch Titan-Egi's tanking ability on Ramuh Ex; it doesn't seem that important of a fight where it would be worth it for them to go back to and make changes (either to the fight or the fundamentals of pets)IMO.

I mean, aside from straight up exploits like freezing the target I don't think they've ever gone back to deal with "mechanic bypasses?" Could be wrong though.

Reknoc

So, since I've been away for a while I've been trying to catch up on content, mostly main story and hildebrand and it's very hard not to notice the massive gulf in quality in the hildebrand cutscenes and the story ones. Even though it's more comedic and wouldn't translate exactly to story cutscene it just seems to do a lot... more. Story cutscenes just seem very static in comparison, like, Bioware standing around talking level.

Still not unlocked levi yet though, so maybe it gets better. The cutscene before the plate head obviously summons him was pretty dope though, made me rather excited for the new class.

Isaccard

For some reason I doubt they'll patch Titan-Egi's tanking ability on Ramuh Ex; it doesn't seem that important of a fight where it would be worth it for them to go back to and make changes (either to the fight or the fundamentals of pets)IMO.

I mean, aside from straight up exploits like freezing the target I don't think they've ever gone back to deal with "mechanic bypasses?" Could be wrong though.

They could just make it so if whoever is holding aggro on Ramuh that doesn't have the buff/stacks/w/e will get one shot

Ken

They could just make it so if whoever is holding aggro on Ramuh that doesn't have the buff/stacks/w/e will get one shot

I guess that could work but eh, I still doubt they care enough to change it. I wouldn't even be surprised if they knew about this beforehand and just left it in for live.

Isaccard

I guess that could work but eh, I still doubt they care enough to change it. I wouldn't even be surprised if they knew about this beforehand and just left it in for live.

I kind of agree, YoshiP was pretty shocked/surprised at T2 Enrage, in spite of community disdain for it, and he let it rock

I hope they don't run out of ivory to build all of these ivory towers people have placed themselves in lately.

Hear, hear.

So, since I've been away for a while I've been trying to catch up on content, mostly main story and hildebrand and it's very hard not to notice the massive gulf in quality in the hildebrand cutscenes and the story ones. Even though it's more comedic and wouldn't translate exactly to story cutscene it just seems to do a lot... more. Story cutscenes just seem very static in comparison, like, Bioware standing around talking level.

Still not unlocked levi yet though, so maybe it gets better. The cutscene before the plate head obviously summons him was pretty dope though, made me rather excited for the new class.

It seems like the Hildebrand scenes are where a lot of the animation effort is going into, but I think they're ramping up the quality of the main scenario and other sub-stories with every patch. Super excited to see what comes in 2.4.

Dunan

With the hunts making dungeon queues impossible, and with hunt participation itself being frustrating -- I got 1 tome, 3 flame seals, and 1 allied seal in the single hunt I made it to in time -- I decided to finally learn a tanking class and spent a couple of hours enjoying the game from a beginner's perspective. Took on both Gladiator and Pugilist at the same time. Wanted to spend more time as a Pugilist, but had never tanked, so I did mostly Gladiator stuff.

Maybe I'm just mis-remembering how things were in the beta -- the last time I did any level-1 stuff -- but the game's explanations are great, and you really do learn how to play the game, with important concepts being fully explained. As a Gladiator, your guildmaster tells you to Flash the enemies because it will take their attention away from your allies and onto you, and the in-game help screens also explain the enmity concept. The level 10 story battle features you defending an ally who will, in mid-fight, exhort you to use Flash again.

After winning that, I took on some guildhests and had no problem with them.

So much fun and so satisfying. I can't wait to run the low-level dungeons and lead a party. Surely there will be a difficulty spike where it becomes hard to tank -- for healers, this is Brayflox NM -- but until that point comes, I'm looking forward to working on this class for a while and putting hunts on the back burner. Any quick tips on tanking? Extra abilities to acquire? So far I've just got Cure 1 from my Conjurer.

With the hunts making dungeon queues impossible, and with hunt participation itself being frustrating -- I got 1 tome, 3 flame seals, and 1 allied seal in the single hunt I made it to in time -- I decided to finally learn a tanking class and spent a couple of hours enjoying the game from a beginner's perspective. Took on both Gladiator and Pugilist at the same time. Wanted to spend more time as a Pugilist, but had never tanked, so I did mostly Gladiator stuff.

Maybe I'm just mis-remembering how things were in the beta -- the last time I did any level-1 stuff -- but the game's explanations are great, and you really do learn how to play the game, with important concepts being fully explained. As a Gladiator, your guildmaster tells you to Flash the enemies because it will take their attention away from your allies and onto you, and the in-game help screens also explain the enmity concept. The level 10 story battle features you defending an ally who will, in mid-fight, exhort you to use Flash again.

After winning that, I took on some guildhests and had no problem with them.

So much fun and so satisfying. I can't wait to run the low-level dungeons and lead a party. Surely there will be a difficulty spike where it becomes hard to tank -- for healers, this is Brayflox NM -- but until that point comes, I'm looking forward to working on this class for a while and putting hunts on the back burner. Any quick tips on tanking? Extra abilities to acquire? So far I've just got Cure 1 from my Conjurer.

Get Foresight from MRD.

Dunan

Get Foresight from MRD.

I shall. I actually played a Marauder (along with Archer and Thaumaturge) in the beta, because then that was the only class you could play if you wanted to see Limsa, and at that time I knew nothing of the MMO "tank" role, I had no idea that enemies could have levels of enmity for individual members of your party, and was mistakenly thinking of the Marauder as a physical fighter-type character. Not until I was defeated a dozen or so times in a row in the level 15 MRD story quest did I finally discover what was going on and what "tanking" was.

It was extremely gratifying to see proper explanations this time around. Supposedly for THM, Astral Fire and Umbral Ice are also properly explained. I didn't understand what was going on with them until the mid-level dungeons, long after the beta.

I hope they don't run out of ivory to build all of these ivory towers people have placed themselves in lately.

They are going to need an extra large shipment this go around lol.

Frontline's is gonna be the new Brayflox speed run for me cause I actually have fun with it.

I haven't done it as much as I'd like to(been hunting and crafting mainly), but it definitely seems like one of the best things to come out of the patch!

And then you still have people resseting the hate at their own convenience.

How is this done? How does it work? I've never seen it.

Yeah, I'm glad they got rid of stupid dungeon speedruns but now the pendulum has swung so far the other way, it's hard to find dungeons for doing books now. I'm actually trying to do books between hunts so I don't waste the Myth and that's a pain the ass right now to get the required dungeons.

Make sure to check the "join quest in progress" box. Since only the last boss is required for books, you should always keep it checked. I've gotten lucky a few times and walked right to the last boss.

People are complaining about hunts, but I feel Frontlines also gives too much of a reward. I've played twice and the first time I didn't even know about PvP skills (so you can imagine my contribution) and you still get 50 myth and 25 sol for a few minutes of running around doing nothing.

How is this done? How does it work? I've never seen it.

Never seen it done either so I could be wrong but I'd guess that whoever has the most enmity runs away from the battle, so the mob follows them. It then resets to it's original position (invulnerable to attack while running back) and resets the entire fight, bringing it's HP to full again and resetting enmity values.

But I could be wrong.

iammeiam

I thought about trying out Frontlines to help with my recent GC Seal shortage (nobody running dungeons + new dungeons being mostly mats means I've done fewer gear turn-ins lately, and ventures ain't cheap.) but it GamersEscape doesn't list GC seals as a reward. Is that correct?

MechaX

Welp, got my sands this morning, so that should free up a sand distribution for my static.

I'm tempted on just stopping hunts now, since I only really wanted the iLvL110 weapon and I only need like two other sands total. Plus, given what I have seen over the weekend (folks doing hunts for like 20+ hours) and also how I was seriously tempted to get up at 3am just to do hunts until I had to go to work at 8am, I think I need to nip this in the bud for my own safety. It was hella easy to get lost in this blur of perpetual search and zerg rushes.

zewone

Welp, got my sands this morning, so that should free up a sand distribution for my static.

I'm tempted on just stopping hunts now, since I only really wanted the iLvL110 weapon and I only need like two other sands total. Plus, given what I have seen over the weekend (folks doing hunts for like 20+ hours) and also how I was seriously tempted to get up at 3am just to do hunts until I had to go to work at 8am, I think I need to nip this in the bud for my own safety. It was hella easy to get lost in this blur of perpetual search and zerg rushes.

I feel the same way, once I get my next sand I will stop. Now I just need to run Syrcus to get a UAT.

studyguy

So far, I haven't run coil seriously in almost a month.
My group seems to be plagued with players dropping out or scheduling conflicts.
On the whole 2.3 really saved me in terms of giving me things to keep me busy, it's nice.

Frontlines has been loads of fun and I hope they continue to expand on the objective based battleground mechanics. Works much better than Arena.

aceface

The funny thing to me about hunts is that even though I've only been in T6 and T7 they don't seem to be huge gear checks. It's all about knowing the mechanics and coordination. Maybe T8 and T9 are different, I don't know. I've done hunts for about one hour total so I've gotten nothing from them and I haven't felt gimped at all in our coil runs.

WolvenOne

Tonight I need to run CT2, to get that blasted Dragoon chest, or something anyway. Does anyone know what chest that drops from? If it's late enough I might be able to do a join in progress.

As for Hunts, yeah, reducing the reward would probably help. Some weeks ago I joked that, if they made Myth drop from Fates, and it was anymore than ten pet fate, the value of Myth would just evaporate.

So, yeah, endlessly repeatable content where even the secondary rewards are excellent. The developers really should have seen how out of hand this would get.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The funny thing to me about hunts is that even though I've only been in T6 and T7 they don't seem to be huge gear checks. It's all about knowing the mechanics and coordination. Maybe T8 and T9 are different, I don't know. I've done hunts for about one hour total so I've gotten nothing from them and I haven't felt gimped at all in our coil runs.

6-7 are not gear checks.
8 is definitely a gear check in the sense that you need to put out around 1750 total group DPS to beat the 11 minute enrage timer.
9 has some DPS checks and ultimately each DPS would do well to go in there with at least an i100 weapon otherwise you might run into the 13 minute enrage.

zewone

Why toss shade at others over sands?

I don't really get this either, I guess because it's harder to organize groups and get into DR/DF, but really, all that shade should be in SE's direction since they are the ones who put this system out in it's currently broken form.

People are just taking advantage of it while they can.
If your DPS is too high in 6-7 and even parts of 9 you definitely need to do this.

Yeah, groups I've been in have had to deal with that at certain phase changes in 6-7.

Haven't done T8-9 yet.

As a DPS, I want to contribute as much as I can, which is why I'm looking to get my Liberator.

Wilsongt

People have always been douchy. I was running Iffy HM last night for trials as a WHM. When nails spawned, I switched to Cleric Stance due to not having an AoE limit break user and helped DPS. After the nails were dead, I completely forgot I had cleric stance on and realized I was low on MP. I asked for a ballad because we had two bards and I eventually saw that I was in CS so I took it off and continued to heal as normal. One of the bards died for some reason or another, but I kept healing.

Anyway, at the end of the fight one of the bards said "If you ask for a ballad, don't be in cleric stance. Scrub" and before I could apologize and said I legit forgot he was already gone.

So, yeah. It's not like I had CS on the entire fight as I've seen some healers do.

So, yeah. People have always been assholes. Hunts just make them that much more noticeable.

draw4wild

Just 62 more marks for me and combine that with my UAT from ct2 and I'll have a welfare book of spades in no time. I really need it for the new expert dungeons.......
But really now I can save alexandrite for ninja instead of getting Novus on smn.

Frontlines is not that hard:

Drones > Outpost

Have 2 groups on middle if you have 2 outpost min, destroy competition, get the kills and repeat....

Is not that to understand...but "OH we lost outpost! get it back!"...."Let's get 3 outpost and is our win!"....

*facepalm*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom