• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Not really sure. But if you aren't using yours I would greatly appreciate one! But they just started sending them out yesterday, so maybe mine's still on the way?

if you don't get one or get tired of waiting shoot me a PM and i'll probably give you mine

adv. tickets go on sale on the 8th according to email

Cmagus

For accuracy, you only need as much as it takes to not miss. You don't gain anything from having surplus accuracy, so it's a waste to have too much of it. Here's a list of accuracy caps:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

The range from T5 to T9 is 432 - 471 accuracy -- quite a broad range. Up to T8, you can get by with 432 plus HQ food to boost your accuracy up to the level needed for T6 and T7. By the time you're doing T8, you should have some soldiery or high allagan pieces to nudge your accuracy up, and eventually the Weathered Laevateinn, which comes with a bowel-shattering 40 accuracy.

If you want to go down the BIS rabbit hole, here's Purostrider's BLM stat weight spreadsheet, which a lot of people swear by but is obnoxious (you'll see what I mean):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqG_cUArVwt5dExEVEJIRmJHd2lrczg4cnZxTDVkM1E#gid=50

It seems that if you're after BIS for BLM, it'll cost a lot of soldiery and a lot of sands of time. You might want to be conservative about your soldiery purchases for the moment because CT2 is around the corner, and there may be some good interim drops from there, allowing you to put off purchases for the moment. T5 to T9 is a very broad range, anyway, so I think for the time being you can get by just fine by planning your purchases around your immediate accuracy requirements and saving for the soldiery weapon when it looks like your group will be able to beat T7 soon.

Ultimately, though, it's all gravy. It is good to aim for BIS and build around your best stats, and you should try and do what you can to get the best out of your class. However, there isn't really a huge scope for customisation, and skill with your class and experience with mechanics/fight memorisation are the most important factors for Coil, especially in the case of BLM. Provided that you're generally up to date and comfortable with a particular fight, your armour/accessories are not going to be a make or break difference unless you're dying at the drop of a hat, or can't hit anything. The main threats to your DPS are a) being dead, b) not knowing what to do, and c) not using your skills smartly.

My own BLM gear is astonishingly poorly optimised at the moment (accuracy through the roof, which is a waste), and I don't consider myself a particularly stand-out BLM, but I've been doing well in SCOB so far and I owe this to heaps of experience and practice.

Awesome thanks for the info this really helps. I was fairly low in the acc department but i brought it up yesterday so I will continue to tweak and figure out what it is I need.

Also managed to finally clear T5 today with a PF group. It took us many tries but the last run was flawless which was really nice and the dps all round was very good. I also noticed a good boost after I brought up my acc. At least now I can enter the second coil and hopefully grab some much better gear.

Am I ready to start the coils or should I keep gear grinding now? Thanks.

For what it's worth, Coil 1-5 also drops i90 gear but some pieces are better for summoner than the mythology items. Given equal item level, the item with determination (or critical hit rate) that DOESN'T have spell speed is flat out an upgrade for a summoner. As long as you meet the required minimum item level, you are fine to go into Coil 1-5. Just keep in mind they are a lot tougher encounters than things like CT. It might be helpful to read a guide or watch a video so you know what you're doing, especially since your gear level will be lower than most others.

I recently worked on getting summoner geared up as I intended to switch from bard to summoner, so here's a list I had made of interesting items worth picking up:

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/MZPT

Nothing from Second Coil, just Coil 1-4, soldiery, and myth stuff, but getting these items will boost your damage up pretty nicely.

Note: I listed the saurian gloves there. They're crafted and slightly expensive but they're not overmelded so not TOO expensive.

zewone

For accuracy, you only need as much as it takes to not miss. You don't gain anything from having surplus accuracy, so it's a waste to have too much of it. Here's a list of accuracy caps:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

The range from T5 to T9 is 432 - 471 accuracy -- quite a broad range. Up to T8, you can get by with 432 plus HQ food to boost your accuracy up to the level needed for T6 and T7. By the time you're doing T8, you should have some soldiery or high allagan pieces to nudge your accuracy up, and eventually the Weathered Laevateinn, which comes with a bowel-shattering 40 accuracy.

If you want to go down the BIS rabbit hole, here's Purostrider's BLM stat weight spreadsheet, which a lot of people swear by but is obnoxious (you'll see what I mean):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqG_cUArVwt5dExEVEJIRmJHd2lrczg4cnZxTDVkM1E#gid=50

It seems that if you're after BIS for BLM, it'll cost a lot of soldiery and a lot of sands of time. You might want to be conservative about your soldiery purchases for the moment because CT2 is around the corner, and there may be some good interim drops from there, allowing you to put off purchases for the moment. T5 to T9 is a very broad range, anyway, so I think for the time being you can get by just fine by planning your purchases around your immediate accuracy requirements and saving for the soldiery weapon when it looks like your group will be able to beat T7 soon.

Ultimately, though, it's all gravy. It is good to aim for BIS and build around your best stats, and you should try and do what you can to get the best out of your class. However, there isn't really a huge scope for customisation, and skill with your class and experience with mechanics/fight memorisation are the most important factors for Coil, especially in the case of BLM. Provided that you're generally up to date and comfortable with a particular fight, your armour/accessories are not going to be a make or break difference unless you're dying at the drop of a hat, or can't hit anything. The main threats to your DPS are a) being dead, b) not knowing what to do, and c) not using your skills smartly.

My own BLM gear is astonishingly poorly optimised at the moment (accuracy through the roof, which is a waste), and I don't consider myself a particularly stand-out BLM, but I've been doing well in SCOB so far and I owe this to heaps of experience and practice.
Damn DRG Sold gear has way too much accuracy. I have like 30+ more accuracy than I need. Not sure what I can do.

Kandinsky

Is it me or are folks really quiet in this game?, nobody ever talks in dungeons for example, and only discuss strategies if something bad happens, it's really weird.

Ken

Is it me or are folks really quiet in this game?, nobody ever talks in dungeons for example, and only discuss strategies if something bad happens, it's really weird.

50/50 really

most people just want to get the dungeon done and leave

50/50 really

most people just want to get the dungeon done and leave

Plus for controller players it's either typing or playing. Since I'm the tank I figure most people would rather I just keep moving forward. They never wait for me when I have to say something...

gryvan

You should see my alt SCH spamming heals like no tomorrow with my lvl 5 armor and lvl 25 hat in dzemael darkhold

Too busy to talk or else tank dies!

WolvenOne

If you're using a controller, you can't really easily chat while gaming, at least not via a keyboard anyway.

I can manage it, a little, but most people only type things out between pulls.

Kandinsky

It sucks, because I'm doing most of the dungeons for the first time and I keep asking about strats and they keep ignoring me, for example there was this Minotaur in one that casted doom on everyone and well I had to check on my tablet where to stand lol.

WolvenOne

It sucks, because I'm doing most of the dungeons for the first time and I keep asking about strats and they keep ignoring me, for example there was this Minotaur in one that casted doom on everyone and well I had to check on my tablet where to stand lol.

A lot of parties really aren't used to dealing with new players, which is unfortunate. Usually when I suspect somebody is new I'll ask before a boss fight.

Occasionally people won't say anything though, and I don't realize they're new until the achievement pops. It's not a big deal though, I just kinda wish people would speak up. XD

Granted, sometimes people will leave if they hear somebody is new, so staying quiet night make sense. :p

suzu

If there's a newbie, I give a simple rundown before the boss whether they ask or not. lol

It says at the beginning of the dungeon if there's a new person. Sometimes I'll click on the characters and check their search/class info to see who it is, while waiting for everyone to finish loading.

Yeah, I know but I wanted them to increase sol. also. >_>

Considering everyone and their mother will be running CT2 for equivalent ilvl gear, there's really no reason to increase soldiery either by how much you get per instance or even the cap. You'll be getting soldiery from more sources in 2.3 which is more than enough considering it will no longer be the only ilvl 100 gear. They want you to go after the new CT gear, not bypass it on every alt you have by getting nothing but soldiery gear.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm surprised that so many people are getting in groups where parties don't help newer players. Groups I've been in pipe up right away, and seem to pay attention to the note in chat that it's someone's first time in the dungeon. It's not like it takes a huge amount of time to explain that stuff. Boggles my mind the lack of patience some people have, then they'll have the gaul to complain about inexperienced players after. >_<

One way why I can see why people may not have much patience for new players is a lot of us had to figure this stuff out on our own...or just looked up the information online. It's not that hard to just power up the google machine and find the information there. I'll help others out but I won't hold their hand and I'll try to point them in directions where they can learn even more or what not.

But being rude doesn't get you anywhere.

Qvoth

Image is broken, yo.

oops lol

here it is
zcwbY7G.jpg

Teknoman

I think its best to give people a hands on explanation, and then they can google it later for more info. Kinda kills communication imo if you just google a dungeon / boss before even trying it once, but thats an old argument.

When it comes to that, I just don't really feel like wasting my and the other people's time by being unfamiliar with a fight or a dungeon. Obviously this doesn't apply when they just came out, I had fun trying to figure out the 2.1 dungeons with GAF folks the day they came out. For the most part, I would rather just be familiar with anything before trying it (I have this same attitude with single player games too)

Qvoth

purostrider's bis needs acc food to hit the acc cap (he uses 470), since acc food is more expensive and i still have a lot of buttons, i'm going to try and aim for the 474 acc set with either 519 or 490 ss, just try using ariyala's gear calculator

Item Box

You're playing again? I don't believe it.

Yep, at least when I have the time to. Obviously I'm not as active as I was circa 2.0, but I'll be back in September, since I'll have more time to play then.

One way why I can see why people may not have much patience for new players is a lot of us had to figure this stuff out on our own...or just looked up the information online. It's not that hard to just power up the google machine and find the information there. I'll help others out but I won't hold their hand and I'll try to point them in directions where they can learn even more or what not.

But being rude doesn't get you anywhere.

Doing this always sucks, takes part of the fun out of the battle. But hey, if you're late and you're playing with others who know it, you're in the minority there and will most likely end up being told what to do anyway. It's why I try to do newer content as early as possible, it's exciting figuring out what's supposed to be done during a fight.

You could always say find a group that's learning it, but the longer you are late to the party, the harder it is to find one since everyone already knows it.

dcye

The most offensive part of the Novus quest for me is that after grinding all that bullshit myth for so long is that straight up to even access the quest you need to pay another 1500 myth. Fuck you Yoshida.

Yep, at least when I have the time to. Obviously I'm not as active as I was circa 2.0, but I'll be back in September, since I'll have more time to play then.

Doing this always sucks, takes part of the fun out of the battle. But hey, if you're late and you're playing with others who know it, you're in the minority there and will most likely end up being told what to do anyway. It's why I try to do newer content as early as possible, it's exciting figuring out what's supposed to be done during a fight.

You could always say find a group that's learning it, but the longer you are late to the party, the harder it is to find one since everyone already knows it.

It sucks yes but that is the reality for a lot of these new players. And quite a few are willing to hop into a farm group instead of joined a learning group first.

The most offensive part of the Novus quest for me is that after grinding all that bullshit myth for so long is that straight up to even access the quest you need to pay another 1500 myth. Fuck you Yoshida.

It's better than having to rely on a random drop from FATE's.

dcye

It's better than having to rely on a random drop from FATE's.

You don't have to grind fates for Alex if you don't want to. They give you options for the rest of the quest. Finally having gotten animus after 13500 myth and being told straight away that to even begin the next stage I have to spend another 1500 made me really pissed off. Its just unoriginal and a slap in the face.

dcye

Speaking of things that pissed me off, got the High Allagan Boots yesterday for my Bard finally so I decided I'd convert my old Saurian Boots because I couldn't do anything else with it. got Water Materia of course. Stupid boots had 2 Savage Aim IV's in them :(.

This game is pushing me to quit it lately. Really shitting me up the wall.

Ken

Speaking of things that pissed me off, got the High Allagan Boots yesterday for my Bard finally so I decided I'd convert my old Saurian Boots because I couldn't do anything else with it. got Water Materia of course. Stupid boots had 2 Savage Aim IV's in them :(.

This game is pushing me to quit it lately. Really shitting me up the wall.

at least you have HA boots

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Chocobo Raising preview is up.

122ZZNs.png
thB7GHF.png

Training Your Chocobo

Your chocobo, as well as those of your free company members, can be trained while stabled to earn experience points. Chocobos can be trained once per hour, and will demand one of the following fruits or vegetables as a reward for their efforts:

Krakka Root / Curiel Root / Sylkis Bud / Mimett Gourd / Tantalplant / Pahsana Fruit / Thavnairian Onion

Experience granted will be the same regardless of the item selected, though stable conditions may affect experience gains. These fruits and vegetables can be obtained through gardening.

Chocobo Level Cap

For chocobos that have already attained the maximum rank, rewarding them with a Thavnairian onion following training will increase this upper limit by one.

* A Thavnairian onion is required each time you wish to raise the maximum rank.
* Chocobo companions cannot exceed rank 20.

Alchemist Class got a bit of a raw deal in the crafting long imo. Hit Level 14 and I've pretty much crafted everything in the class log. Not a lot of stuff to craft in the 15-17 department which means not a lot of added exp for a new entry

BadRNG

We don't know yields yet but unless they are absolutely insanely high, this is going to suck majorly. How do you decide who gets to use the item in a large FC? Especially if they go as fast as one an hour. Making the level cap increase vegetable from gardening is fine, not many people have level 10 chocobos and the demand will be slow/low, enough time to grow enough for most people over long enough time. But even the basic ones?

This would make more sense if we actually had the personal housing and could have our own gardens, hell even a miniature garden in our private rooms would of been alright, but since they are taking their sweet time on that front this seems poorly designed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Checking in for the new thread. My army on Yojimbo grows. Mwahahaha!

Totally jazzed for 2.3. Looking forward to all the new content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom