• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMBored

Hit 45 Miner last night and decided to check the Market Board to see what I'm looking at for gear at 50. It came out to like 230,000 for everything HQ non-melded; all the BiS excluding main hand is crafted, right, so I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay?

I figure any gear introduced by the patch will end up being more expensive, at first, so waiting doesn't make sense.

You can always level up crafting and craft it yourself :)
That's what I did, just weaver and leather worker give 9 of the 12 necessary pieces, I ended up asking gaf to meld the off hand and bought the goldsmith accessories. That and the materia burned me less than 60K I think.

I'm just curious if there is any good resources for class builds. I want to respec my BLM but when it comes to stats and stuff it gets confusing as I'm hearing and reading a lot of conflicting things. I hear that high ACC is is important from some but others say not really so I just wanted some advice or a good resource if anyone knows. Mainly wanna focus on T5-T9 with the build.

For accuracy, you only need as much as it takes to not miss. You don't gain anything from having surplus accuracy, so it's a waste to have too much of it. Here's a list of accuracy caps:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/278dx2/accuracy_cap_for_everything_coil_19/

The range from T5 to T9 is 432 - 471 accuracy -- quite a broad range. Up to T8, you can get by with 432 plus HQ food to boost your accuracy up to the level needed for T6 and T7. By the time you're doing T8, you should have some soldiery or high allagan pieces to nudge your accuracy up, and eventually the Weathered Laevateinn, which comes with a bowel-shattering 40 accuracy.

If you want to go down the BIS rabbit hole, here's Purostrider's BLM stat weight spreadsheet, which a lot of people swear by but is obnoxious (you'll see what I mean):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqG_cUArVwt5dExEVEJIRmJHd2lrczg4cnZxTDVkM1E#gid=50

It seems that if you're after BIS for BLM, it'll cost a lot of soldiery and a lot of sands of time. You might want to be conservative about your soldiery purchases for the moment because CT2 is around the corner, and there may be some good interim drops from there, allowing you to put off purchases for the moment. T5 to T9 is a very broad range, anyway, so I think for the time being you can get by just fine by planning your purchases around your immediate accuracy requirements and saving for the soldiery weapon when it looks like your group will be able to beat T7 soon.

Ultimately, though, it's all gravy. It is good to aim for BIS and build around your best stats, and you should try and do what you can to get the best out of your class. However, there isn't really a huge scope for customisation, and skill with your class and experience with mechanics/fight memorisation are the most important factors for Coil, especially in the case of BLM. Provided that you're generally up to date and comfortable with a particular fight, your armour/accessories are not going to be a make or break difference unless you're dying at the drop of a hat, or can't hit anything. The main threats to your DPS are a) being dead, b) not knowing what to do, and c) not using your skills smartly.

My own BLM gear is astonishingly poorly optimised at the moment (accuracy through the roof, which is a waste), and I don't consider myself a particularly stand-out BLM, but I've been doing well in SCOB so far and I owe this to heaps of experience and practice.

So my Dragoon got to 41 but then I decided to try a black mage type class and I'm probably in trouble, can't stop playing my THM (already 19). THM + Physick = awesome

What's Ultros GAF rules on alts (for the time being an alt anyways)

Zalasta

Hit 45 Miner last night and decided to check the Market Board to see what I'm looking at for gear at 50. It came out to like 230,000 for everything HQ non-melded; all the BiS excluding main hand is crafted, right, so I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay?

I figure any gear introduced by the patch will end up being more expensive, at first, so waiting doesn't make sense.

Or you can just spend the money on the ingredients and have someone craft them for you?

iammeiam

You can always level up crafting and craft it yourself :)
That's what I did, just weaver and leather worker give 9 of the 12 necessary pieces, I ended up asking gaf to meld the off hand and bought the goldsmith accessories. That and the materia burned me less than 60K I think.

I've got LTW at like 29, everything else at 15-ish, but was kind of hoping miner could stand on its own for a while as all the crazy cross-class requirements made leveling any one craft to produce usable level 50 stuff seem pointless without doing the others, too.

But thanks for the advice! I'll see where I am leve-wise after finishing off miner and see if I can drag at least LTW along for the ride.

Or you can just spend the money on the ingredients and have someone craft them for you?
This might work too; do you know if the recipes are easy enough to HQ with NQ mats?

IvorB

Prepare for a horrible speedrun where you'll have no idea what's going on the whole time (if my experience is anything to go by).

Really nervous about doing the last story dungeon. I want to experience it properly but there's no way I'll be able to assemble that many people from the FC.

My run of the final mission was textbook bad so if you are assembling FC/understanding people to run it I would be happy go again.

Well you're the first one to speak up, so let's do it! We can start the relic train with Ifrit at 9:00pm eastern if that works for you.

Anyone else on Ultros got stuff they would like help on for this Friday?

Sounds great. See you there!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Meld 8 pieces of equipment in front of him, in the general vicinity.

You should have been crafting sooner, darn it!

Yeah, like in 2.0!
All blame falls to the Animus quest.

Honestly I'm already so hopelessly late I might as well take it at my own... er, rather at the pace of leve regeneration!

IMBored

As long as they aren't green/1 star items, any decently geared crafter should be able to HQ regardless of the material quality.

They are the level 55 green miner gear, so a bit dificult to HQ with all normal mats, at least for me (not a master crafter). However, because they all have craftable base components, if you have the materials to make these, it's much more easier to HQ. I did all my HQ crp, ltw, wvr and bot gear almost at the same time, even if some ended up with 75-80% HQ chance.

Requiem

Played CT for the first time last night. Not sure if it's because I'm new to the dungeon but I had a lot of fun!

Hearing about how people troll that dungeon had put me off but my run went super smooth. It'd be awesome to do a GAF only CT run

Crystal Tower gear is a measly i80? I take it's really easy in there then? I got my entire myth and relic set just by doing roulettes so I'd have decent gear before going in, and it looks like I needn't have bothered. :(

Tabris

Crystal Tower gear is a measly i80? I take it's really easy in there then? I got my entire myth and relic set just by doing roulettes so I'd have decent gear before going in, and it looks like I needn't have bothered. :(

You generally want to do the opposite. Spam CT before roulettes.

Wilsongt

CT is only as hard as your alliance makes it.

Some of the gear looks like, though. Good for glamors.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Should just level up Miner for now then.
If I am to make 14 HQ Elm Macuahuitls I need for leves, then I absolutely need HQ mats for this and there's no HQ obsidian on MB.
Why is life so hard.

IMBored

Should just level up Miner for now then.
If I am to make 14 HQ Elm Macuahuitls I need for leves, then I absolutely need HQ mats for this and there's no HQ obsidian on MB.
Why is life so hard.

Yes, you'll need to level your miner to the amazing level of 8. That's a solid week of work right there.

Qvoth

finally!!!!
zcwbY7G.jpg

Hey guys; this is my current gear set.

i1StUBcObXUMV.JPG

I have no problem with the Crystal Tower Raid. Am I ready for additional raids at this point (I think the Binding coils would be next)?

All of my gear on the left is i90 - it's the accessories on the right that are dragging me down. I'm close to having enough tomes of solidarity for i100 body gear. I'm also collecting tomes to replace all of my accessories with i90. Am I ready to start the coils or should I keep gear grinding now? Thanks.

Jomjom

Banned
Has anyone gotten their codes to purchase tickets for the Fan Festival yet?

Also I'm guessing someone will organize some kind of GAF meetup yes?

Ken

Hey guys; this is my current gear set.

http://i2.minus.com/i1StUBcObXUMV.

I have no problem with the Crystal Tower Raid. Am I ready for additional raids at this point (I think the Binding coils would be next)?

All of my gear on the left is i90 - it's the accessories on the right that are dragging me down. I'm close to having enough tomes of solidarity for i100 body gear. I'm also collecting tomes to replace all of my accessories with i90. Am I ready to start the coils or should I keep gear grinding now? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You're gonna wanna get rid of the dated accessories and then you should be fine all the way up to T6 definitely.

WolvenOne

Shame I probably won't be able to afford going, going to try swinging it anyway but, having the money in advance would be tough.

Question though, other than the expansion unveiling, what are people expecting from this event?

creid

Has anyone gotten their codes to purchase tickets for the Fan Festival yet?

Also I'm guessing someone will organize some kind of GAF meetup yes?
I got mine yesterday. Can't afford to go to both this and PAX, so I hope they have one on the east coast in the future.

WolvenOne

I was considering it, but I was also thinking there'd be a separate style of pajama's for male characters, rather than just a night gown. I mean it's cute, but it'll look strange on same races/genders.

Besides, I would have only used it when I was about to log off, in an inn room. XD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I was considering it, but I was also thinking there'd be a separate style of pajama's for male characters, rather than just a night gown. I mean it's cute, but it'll look strange on same races/genders.

Besides, I would have only used it when I was about to log off, in an inn room. XD

The styles are different. The female one has ribbons.

WolvenOne

The styles are different. The female one has ribbons.

Yes well, I somehow got the impression that the male one was going to be a robe and flannel bottoms.

Edit: No I don't know how I got that impression, it might have simply been wishful thinking.

Kenai

Not sure about wearing the whole outfit, but that hat has some combo potential with other sets at least.

So my Dragoon got to 41 but then I decided to try a black mage type class and I'm probably in trouble, can't stop playing my THM (already 19). THM + Physick = awesome

What's Ultros GAF rules on alts (for the time being an alt anyways)

Hmm? You aren't logging on a totally different toon to switch jobs are you? Gaf doesn't really care about switching jobs around, several of us have multiple 50 jobs.

The problem might be totally different toons since that takes up more FC space when it is limited, but unless you join a static for Coil or something no one is gonna care about job changing. It's built into the game to be easy to switch if you like, one of the best perks of it. There's no need to get on an alt to job change or anything like that, so having alts is somewhat rare if you aren't avoiding Coil 2 lockout restrictions.

IvorB

Yeah it looks so dumb when the character jumps into bed wearing all this hardcore gear and weapons.

iammeiam

I do think the pajama design will be super popular Lala vanity (that style seems to be popular with that segment if the playerbase) but less so with everyone else.

Gaf is truly hardcore roleplay

Not gonna lie; back when the house had a bedroom I'd hop in a bed and /doze prior to logout. Now I usually just go sit in a planter.

dramatis

I do think the pajama design will be super popular Lala vanity (that style seems to be popular with that segment if the playerbase) but less so with everyone else.

Not gonna lie; back when the house had a bedroom I'd hop in a bed and /doze prior to logout. Now I usually just go sit in a planter.
Could drop a bed down again if you want. Bedroom was shuffled out because personal rooms be coming.

iammeiam

Could drop a bed down again if you want. Bedroom was shuffled out because personal rooms be coming.

I really appreciate the offer but it's totally not necessary--personal rooms will definitely let me get my hardcore napping role play on in about a week. Lord knows my retainer likes bringing me furnishings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom