• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

creid

Not sure if there was a change in 2.3 or if I've just had tremendous luck, but I got a wind-up tonberry the other day from a chest, and today an unhidden leather map which got me a Nutkin minion. Only 2 have been on the market board, one sold for 2.5 mil.

Good night, sweet potato.
Fixed.

zewone

Ahaha, SE just made hunts more attractive by increasing your chances of being able to earn rewards even on trash marks.

Oh, Square.

Jayhawk

Ahaha, SE just made hunts more attractive by increasing your chances of being able to earn rewards even on trash marks.

Oh, Square.

Those marks add up! The myth and soldiery rewards are awesome too, especially since the week just reset.

EDIT: I was thinking of a spawn tracking Google spreadsheet for A and S hunts on Ultros, but I don't want to give edit access to everyone. Who wants to share responsibility of posting hunt spawns?

zewone

Those marks add up! The myth and soldiery rewards are awesome too, especially since the week just reset.

EDIT: I was thinking of a spawn tracking Google spreadsheet for A and S hunts on Ultros, but I don't want to give edit access to everyone. Who wants to share responsibility of posting hunt spawns?
I don't mind B's at all. Much easier to cap. Looking forward to even more seals now with the patch.

iammeiam

It sort of sucks that they buffed HP to promote/support the roaming mob approach but are 'still investigating' buffing the daily/weekly rewards. The dailies I would actually probably do if the rewards weren't total shit, because you could fit them in around doing other things. Something to do during queue times beyond sit in the house synthing cornmeal.

Oh well maybe the HP buff will mean I can get in on some easy and low-drama late night kills late night this weekend? Probably not, but it can't make things worse.

(Also the new dungeons desperately need a loot table fix.)

Do you mean a shared cross hotbar that's displayed on all your gear sets? You can set which ones are shared under the hotbar settings.

If you want something like the ability to switch l2+r2 to pvp and pve on the fly you can try writing a /crosshotbar macro that will copy a hotbar to your l2+r2 hotbar.

I just saw something like that on reddit. I'll look into to it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Total and complete misfire on The Hunt "fixes." I may as well not even queue up for lottos anymore.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This week went off as planned. Got my welfare UAT from CT2, got my welfare sands from hunts, got my welfare book of spades first week of patch. Now I'll be so good at expert dungeons

Now I can go back to playing casually and just do my expert and trials roulette daily. I'll probably aim for an oil from CT2 for the next 4 weeks.

I'm also contemplating buying a moogle and Levi clear so I can learn Ramuh with everyone else instead of playing catchup after all the learning parties disappear

Those two fights are easier to do than Ramuh and don't take much time to clear at all...

Sophia

I'm not surprised they buffed the HP levels of Hunt targets. It's an easy band-aid fix solution to the problem while they decide how to rework the system later on.

creid

I have a feeling this is a band-aid fix for hunts, and probably as much as they could do on short notice. I would expect bigger changes in the next few weeks if people are still freaking out over hunts.

Isaccard

This week went off as planned. Got my welfare UAT from CT2, got my welfare sands from hunts, got my welfare book of spades first week of patch. Now I'll be so good at expert dungeons

Now I can go back to playing casually and just do my expert and trials roulette daily. I'll probably aim for an oil from CT2 for the next 4 weeks.

I'm also contemplating buying a moogle and Levi clear so I can learn Ramuh with everyone else instead of playing catchup after all the learning parties disappear

Shakes_head,_walks_away.gif

zewone

I have a feeling this is a band-aid fix for hunts, and probably as much as they could do on short notice. I would expect bigger changes in the next few weeks if people are still freaking out over hunts.
A weekly cap would have been a band-aid fix. This has the opposite effect. It increases chances of getting credit on the marks.

studyguy

I've never been a big fan of open world NMs, for as much fun as they were through the rosetint... in practice I can only remember the hours spent waking up at odd times fighting for a claim with whoever woke up in the middle of the night.

I can't help but see hunts as slightly more accessible NMs with all the exact same issues. Overhunting, 3rd party apps and claim disputes popping up everywhere. The fact that they at least attempted a fix a week after they launched rather than the old XI adage of DON'T FIX SHIT IGNORE EVERYTHING at least gives me some hope. Still, it's just sort of whatever. I can't be arsed to take hunts seriously.

iammeiam

Those two fights are easier to do than Ramuh and don't take much time to clear at all...

Mog is getting lots of PF love right now because nobody did him pre-patch (although it seems like the same people PFing him nightly so I'm guessing they're not doing too well), but Levi is a total bitch to get around at the moment. DF is usually a disaster, PFs are rare and usually a mess, and the couple of times I've snuck into a GAF group have not ended in victory.

There's just no reason for people with clears to run Levi right now--he can't offer anything that compares to hunts, and CT2 UATs/Ramuh weapons make his drops even less relevant--and the removal of Ifrit EX as an unlock requirement is introducing a lot of relatively unprepared people to the fight. I don't think it's necessarily "need to buy a clear" bad (after enough echo even DF groups can push phases so fast dodge requirements drop drastically), but it's also not all that quick to get around.

Sophia

A weekly cap would have been a band-aid fix. This has the opposite effect. It increases chances of getting credit on the marks.

That's the intent. They don't want to neuter the system into the ground, so they're just fixing aspects that make it harder for casual players to receive credit.

Dunan

The hunts fix is a band-aid but at least it's something.

Completely unrelated: help me with some low-level tanking progression! I'm enjoying learning this totally new job but ran into a problem with my first attempt at a dungeon. Signed up for Sastasha in DF as soon as I hit level 15 -- haven't been here in a long time; the pirates have probably forgotten what I look like -- and, having joined in progress, was put in the boss battle right at the beginning.

The three party members had just had their tank quit on them and told me they had a bad tank. I said I had some bad news for them: this was my first time ever tanking in a dungeon.

So we took on the boss. I had very few MP and had to space out my Flashes, I could keep the boss occupied, along with two or three of the Baleen things that spawn from the bubble spouts, but once there were more than about six or seven of the Baleens, I couldn't Flash them all.

During previous visits here as a ranged DPS, I would keep an eye on two bubble spouts at once, and could usually get to them before the enemies spawn, so I've never seen a tank having to contend with large numbers of them. How big is Flash's area of effect? I could Flash five or six enemies in the first Guildhest without problems, but those were all right in front of me.

We failed twice in a row and the original three disbanded the party before we could try again.

The Gladiator really doesn't have many abilities so early in the game, so the solution must be something simple. I need to keep aggro on more than six enemies, in disparate places, at once -- what do I do?

creid

I don't think they could've implemented a weekly cap this quickly. Raising mob HP is easy. For the time being they've "fixed" the part that seems to be pissing people off the most.

studyguy

The Gladiator really doesn't have many abilities so early in the game, so the solution must be something simple. I need to keep aggro on more than six enemies, in disparate places, at once -- what do I do?

Flash your heart out. And when you're all pooped out of MP, ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT or RIOTヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Ken

If you're always expecting that many adds for whatever reason, don't spam flash when there's only 1~3. Just keep up your Fast>Savage Blade combos on them as you should have a good enough enmity lead on the boss to ignore him during those first few adds. When more start to pop up, throw out Shield Lobs to reel them in and then spam Flash, hoping your DPS burns the boss down.

aceface

Completely unrelated: help me with some low-level tanking progression! I'm enjoying learning this totally new job but ran into a problem with my first attempt at a dungeon. Signed up for Sastasha in DF as soon as I hit level 15 -- haven't been here in a long time; the pirates have probably forgotten what I look like -- and, having joined in progress, was put in the boss battle right at the beginning.

The three party members had just had their tank quit on them and told me they had a bad tank. I said I had some bad news for them: this was my first time ever tanking in a dungeon.

So we took on the boss. I had very few MP and had to space out my Flashes, I could keep the boss occupied, along with two or three of the Baleen things that spawn from the bubble spouts, but once there were more than about six or seven of the Baleens, I couldn't Flash them all.

During previous visits here as a ranged DPS, I would keep an eye on two bubble spouts at once, and could usually get to them before the enemies spawn, so I've never seen a tank having to contend with large numbers of them. How big is Flash's area of effect? I could Flash five or six enemies in the first Guildhest without problems, but those were all right in front of me.

We failed twice in a row and the original three disbanded the party before we could try again.

Why weren't they hitting the bubbles to keep the adds from popping?

Madchad

Boss was done wrong. There should be no more than 2 adds up ever durring the entire fight. DPS or healers need to disbale the bubbles by clicking on them which stops the adds from spawning.

Gladiator does indeed have very little to keep agro at low level. Archers can be a pain to hold threat from when you only have Fast > Savage when tanking multiple mobs.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Because they're more fun? At least they are to me. Hunts are a bit of a snoozefest.

Yeah, my point was that no one is queuing up for these much. My question is the same question people are asking themselves, then they join hunt groups.

Dunan

Flash your heart out. And when you're all pooped out of MP, ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT or RIOTヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

If you're always expecting that many adds for whatever reason, don't spam flash when there's only 1~3. Just keep up your Fast>Savage Blade combos on them as you should have a good enough enmity lead on the boss to ignore him during those first few adds. When more start to pop up, throw out Shield Lobs to reel them in and then spam Flash, hoping your DPS burns the boss down.

I don't think I have Shield Lob yet; I'm a fresh L15. Fast Blade, Savage Blade, Riot Blade, Fight or Flight, and Rampart are my abilities, and then I gave myself a Cure spell and the Archer's poison attack as additionals. Those last two can't be essential to win because tankers doing their first-ever class won't have them.

Riot Blade brings back MP, but too slowly. Should I be drinking Ethers? That can't be the solution.

Hasney

Yeah, my point was that no one is queuing up for these much. My question is the same question people are asking themselves, then they join hunt groups.

Fair enough, but I've had no issues with queues. Maybe I've been lucky, but I haven't been outside the 20 minute queue window for DPS, which is the same as I was getting pre-patch.

Even the "pointless" level 50 dungenons gear-wise were fine when I needed them for my book.

I don't think I have Shield Lob yet; I'm a fresh L15. Fast Blade, Savage Blade, Riot Blade, Fight or Flight, and Rampart are my abilities, and then I gave myself a Cure spell and the Archer's poison attack as additionals. Those last two can't be essential to win because tankers doing their first-ever class won't have them.

Riot Blade brings back MP, but too slowly. Should I be drinking Ethers? That can't be the solution.

Do your class quest, get Shield Lob. It's really important and kinda a must have for even the first dungeon.

studyguy

Riot blade always brings enough MP back for 1 more Flash per rotation.

Just focus your shitty Savage Blade combo towards enemies that either the DPS are focused on, changing targets every so often to make sure you spread the hate around and ensure that you mark your targets. If the DPS are being dicks and not following your marks, and they're still pulling off you with flash then you're just basically gonna have to deal with it. Flash Flash Flash is something you'll be doing to well beyond your early levels.

GLD generally feels sort of bleh until you get Halone. Also keep up with your class quests, they give you two extra skills by 30.

Dunan

Why weren't they hitting the bubbles to keep the adds from popping?

Boss was done wrong. There should be no more than 2 adds up ever durring the entire fight. DPS or healers need to disbale the bubbles by clicking on them which stops the adds from spawning.

Gladiator does indeed have very little to keep agro at low level. Archers can be a pain to hold threat from when you only have Fast > Savage when tanking multiple mobs.

I'm starting to think that, and that their 'bad tank' who ditched them was in fact just frustrated with their play. They might not have stopped a single one of the spawns, looking back. I was good at that part, having been a ranged DPS and healer, two classes that get a good far-off view of the bubble spouts and that will learn how to deal with them.

I'll try again soon, and if any GAFfers are also making their first attempts at low-level dungeons, or are doing so with new classes, I'd be happy to party up so we can learn together.

(Edit: Studyguy, is Riot blade always brings enough MP back for 1 more Flash per rotation always true? Unles I'm mis-remembering, Flash costs 22 MP and Riot Blade recovers 10-14 MP... when it hits, which isn't 100%.)

Ken

It might be tied to your level 15 job quest.

Riot Blade should be enough. I can't say I've ever popped an ether in that dungeon lol.

As for hitting the buttons, the last few Sastasha I ran had people not do that so I just kind of dealt with it.

These queue's are pretty much the same for me pre 2.3 as a dps. I'm just glad they're so many more options for Myths and Sol now cause I'd go crazy joining hunt parties and doing that. I couldn't even do the Bray runs for that long of a time period or the DD/AV farms cause they're so fucking boring to do.

It might be tied to your level 15 job quest.

Riot Blade should be enough. I can't say I've ever popped an ether in that dungeon lol.

As for hitting the buttons, the last few Sastasha I ran had people not do that so I just kind of dealt with it.

I can't say I've ever popped an ether, ever. :eek:

Aeana

How does that crow taste Egi "strat" supporters?

Or am I still in that ivory tower?

As long as you are so quick to elevate yourself and look down on other people in the game, you will always be in the ivory tower. I'm not surprised you missed the meaning of my post entirely. It was never about "supporting" a particular strategy (at the time, I had never even attempted Ramuh Extreme, and was determined to try it the normal way for personal reasons regardless), it was about being tired of the way people like you are talking to/about other players. And it isn't limited to you, either. Get over yourself and have some respect for other people.

Sophia

People have gotten way more respectful about handling the marks. Noticing people are generally waiting now, and the increase to HP means you can get there in time.

The rewards are still too good however. ><

Yeah the Hunts fix was obviously to detoxify the community. I'm glad that Yoshi is showing that he already has the knowledge and maturity of an experienced MMO designer who cares about his players by not knee-jerk nerfing the Hunts as some people have called for. Instead he is making the Hunts more accessible to the players. Now instead of maniacally chasing them to the point of homicidal tendencies I can hang back and work on books for my Animus and hunt casually to get the Myth for my next book as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom