• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

I got yelled at last night for attacking Bloody Mary without waiting for people. I wasn't in a party or anything. She was in my way of my treasure map. I'm not even sorry.

Zalasta

Yeah the Hunts fix was obviously to detoxify the community. I'm glad that Yoshi is showing that he already has the knowledge and maturity of an experienced MMO designer who cares about his players by not knee-jerk nerfing the Hunts as some people have called for. Instead he is making the Hunts more accessible to the players. Now instead of maniacally chasing them to the point of homicidal tendencies I can hang back and work on books for my Animus and hunt casually to get the Myth for my next book as needed.

Sorry, just because they made the bowl bigger so more people can eat out of it, doesn't mean the original design wasn't flawed. This is similar to when Fate's experience gain was dispropotionally more rewarding than anything else in the game so everyone is grinding it 24/7 at the expense of other contents. The simple fact that you can cap soldier in a few hours of hunt should be more than enough proof that there is a balance issue in the rewards vs how much effort you put into.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sorry, just because they made the bowl bigger so more people can eat out of it, doesn't mean the original design wasn't flawed. This is similar to when Fate's experience gain was dispropotionally more rewarding than anything else in the game so everyone is grinding it 24/7 at the expense of other contents. The simple fact that you can cap soldier in a few hours of hunt should be more than enough proof that there is a balance issue in the rewards vs how much effort you put into.

It remains this definitely. Glad to see they said they will continue to monitor the situation and act accordingly.

MechaX

I'm not surprised they buffed the HP levels of Hunt targets. It's an easy band-aid fix solution to the problem while they decide how to rework the system later on.

That's pretty much how I view it. Given how long it took the team to fix egregious shit in FFXI, from what I have heard, it's interesting that they gave some swift response. They are probably in big talks about adjustments to the seals, but they couldn't think of anything equitable on such short notice, so might as well address the toxicity issue of marks dying too fast.

Of course, it sucks that it pretty much solidifies marks as the path of least resistance for right now and continues to screw dungeons/etc.

studyguy

People won't be happy till they basically make it so everyone has to line up to take a single shot for 3 hours and we all get full credit for every spawn. There are simply going to be losers in the NM game. That's how it was in XI, it was a flawed concept then and it's flawed now.

Accessibility is the key, but at this point, people are mad that they aren't being handed sands, oils and tomes on a silver platter while others are mad that the same items are being given away so easily. It's a shitshow all over.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
People won't be happy till they basically make it so everyone has to line up to take a single shot for 3 hours and we all get full credit for every spawn. There are simply going to be losers in the NM game. That's how it was in XI, it was a flawed concept then and it's flawed now.

Accessibility is the key, but at this point, people are mad that they aren't being handed sands, oils and tomes on a silver platter while others are mad that the same items are being given away so easily. It's a shitshow all over.

Open world stuff just doesn't work in this game as it is constructed. This is why they came up with FATEs. In a game where they control every single bit of how you progress, for them to just go willy nilly is so strange to me that the results aren't that surprising.

They could have kept the spirit of what the Hunt is, while keeping some sort of structure to it. Again, some great suggestions such as group leves based on daily/weekly bills and more have been given. I love that idea. Daily Bills could be a mix of normal, B and A marks. While weeklies as S marks. Each member of the party can start things up like a leve and everyone can get credit for helping and each can get a turn. They can design fun and interesting NMs with some fun mechanics when using the leve based system. It would be fair, fun and keep within the structure of the game they have trained people on since relaunch.

Currently, it's a shitshow.

It is mindboggling how this team of smart people can come up with such a braindead idea as the Hunt currently is. Very disappointing.

studyguy

You can't blame them for wanting to bring back the spirit of the NM game. So much of the community asked for NMs back I'm sure it became a priority considering how willing they are to appease the fans. Still, I didn't like them back then and I sure as hell don't like them now.

I personally have nothing against the hunt, if I happen upon a monster I'll down it and I'll poke around in a hunt group while watching Netflix when I have downtime. It's just not worth the headache to take so seriously.

zewone

Open world stuff just doesn't work in this game as it is constructed. This is why they came up with FATEs. In a game where they control every single bit of how you progress, for them to just go willy nilly is so strange to me that the results aren't that surprising.

They could have kept the spirit of what the Hunt is, while keeping some sort of structure to it. Again, some great suggestions such as group leves based on daily/weekly bills and more have been given. I love that idea. Daily Bills could be a mix of normal, B and A marks. While weeklies as S marks. Each member of the party can start things up like a leve and everyone can get credit for helping and each can get a turn. They can design fun and interesting NMs with some fun mechanics when using the leve based system. It would be fair, fun and keep within the structure of the game they have trained people on since relaunch.

It is mindboggling how this team of smart people can come up with such a braindead idea as the Hunt currently is. Very disappointing.
I can get behind this entire idea.

Tonight, like everyone else, is ST ( I don't like calling it CT2 since it's not even the same tower I think) and hunts.

Sophia

That's pretty much how I view it. Given how long it took the team to fix egregious shit in FFXI, from what I have heard, it's interesting that they gave some swift response. They are probably in big talks about adjustments to the seals, but they couldn't think of anything equitable on such short notice, so might as well address the toxicity issue of marks dying too fast.

Of course, it sucks that it pretty much solidifies marks as the path of least resistance for right now and continues to screw dungeons/etc.

I think Unknown Soldier put it best. Put simply, Yoshida knows MMOs as he's been there both as a developer and player. Which is why we always get swift responses to things that are issues. Like Frontlines and Marks. I will not be surprised if such things are big topics at the Live Letters.

That said, I'm starting to wonder if Primal is a crappy data center or something. I haven't see marks significantly screw over dungeons in Aether's party finder. It's as fast as always here.

You are making an unusually large amount of assumptions about a group of developers which you know little about.

iammeiam

Honestly, my beef with hunts boils down to how they are structured to actually encourage players doing that to the exclusion of all else. You will not get full credit without a party. Getting in a hunt party via PF looks pretty easy, but if you're in a hunt party, you're not going to be doing non-hunt content. Not only does this kind of suck the casual out of casual content, it actively hurts DF participation for everyone because you miss out on nothing by doing only hunts.

Depending on the actual impact if the S-rank health buff, it may be possible to get into a party on-the-fly, which will help a little. It's not that I don't want people to get sands, or that I want them for free, it's that I don't want to devote all my play time to hunting because I don't care about gear that much and the mob approach makes things kind of tedious, and the widespread obsession actually hurts the parts of the game I do enjoy.

Reknoc

Tonight, like everyone else, is ST ( I don't like calling it CT2 since it's not even the same tower I think) and hunts.

ST seems more CT than labyrinth was though lol

plus ST just makes me think of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Teknoman

CT2 is the actual tower. The Labyrinth of the Ancients was that little "maze" surrounding the tower, and Sycrus is the actual main spire.

Crystal_Tower_-_WM.jpg

Mature

I couldn't really tell, but at the end of Syrcus
was that the top of the tower with Xande? I could see them doing more "Crystal Tower" content with the voidsent stuff, but I couldn't tell if you were necessarily at the top.

ReaperXL7

Great now SMN is back to being a one trick (Garuda) pony. Such bullshit that everyone "has" to play the game the exact same way.

Experimental gameplay should be encouraged not hindered.

The over structure of every single thing in the game so far is what I am tired of and why I love hunts as they are. Having people actually explore the zones instead of just following the magical fate/treasure map marker is a good thing for me. Having an alternative thing to do with my time other then waiting in the mists/reverent toll for an instance queue is a good thing for me. Can't the game also have something that appeals to people like me instead of everything being markers and lines and forced spawns?

People won't be happy till they basically make it so everyone has to line up to take a single shot for 3 hours and we all get full credit for every spawn. There are simply going to be losers in the NM game.

This is exactly correct, and I am fine with it. I don't want hunts to be just another thing you wait in queue, or you use your item to spawn. People are getting overly mad because so far in the game that is how everything has been and they arn't use to the concept of not just having your content handed to you and limited. Well or they don't like people getting dat hardcore raider loot without having to kill the bosses. Allagan was the badge of a raider before when there was equivalent ilvl from tomes and High Allagan is now. I'm sorry for those that don't feel as special when others can get the same ilvl that they have.

Kintaro

You are making an unusually large amount of assumptions about a group of developers which you know little about.

Assumptions I'm making based on the game they have presented in front of me. Assumptions I'm making based on the reactions from the community at large when presented with the content.

Or do you know them on a much better level and care to inform us? By all means, I'm all ears. I mean, surely the developers who won't even let us premake our own alliances for CT, or continue to be baffled by a system they created that doesn't allow us to queue for DF while our chocobo is out or <insert the many other baffling design decisions in the game> can't possibly be on the wrong track with this idea?

Taruranto

FFXI didn't have instant warp everywhere, so it really isn't the same thing. I mean, going to camp Hoo Mjuu the Torrent or the Spook meant to get to Windy/Sandy every time, which took time and money.

Can you imagine if half population of the server could warp to King Ranperre's Tomb everytime they felt like? No to mention the reward/effort ratio is extremely screwed.

That said, I actually prefer hunt to "dungeon" shit. At least we actually have people wandering in the game world (wandering, not following a FATE mark like an horde of zombies) and talking to each others (even if just to insult, i guess).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

To be fair, there are certain development philosophies Yoshida has been following and publicly commented on for some time now.

Assumptions I'm making based on the game they have presented in front of me. Assumptions I'm making based on the reactions from the community at large when presented with the content.

I don't know friend. I know I party all day with people who are enjoying the hunts and only complain about jerks being jerks. I know I enjoy talking to people I'm running around with. Then I also know that I come on here and see people complaining about how bad hunts are. Even with all that I can't speak for the feelings of the community at large. Do remember you are in kind of an echo chamber with only a few dissenting voices and that people go to forums to complain more then they do to talk good about stuff that they could be enjoying instead.

That said, I actually prefer hunt to "dungeon" shit. At least we actually have people wandering in the game world (wandering, not following a FATE mark like an horde of zombies) and talking to each others (even if just to insult, i guess).

Thank you.

Teknoman

That is one of the pluses, exploration. It would be nicer if they were in unexplored corners of the world though (out of the way places in the zone with no quest content/zone/instance entries).

WolvenOne

Anyhow, two cents.

1: Shame I never got to see the no Tank Ramuh strat at work, but it's just as well. While I'm slowly getting better at my DRG, I still prefer tackling high level content as a WAR.

2: Increasing the HP of hunts and decreasing the amount you need to contribute to get full credit will help, they'll at least make the A's and B's last longer, so the solo and unaffiliated players have more of a shot at them.

3: Okay, "have," they increased the rewards for daily hunts, or are they just thinking about it? I'm seeing some people talking like it's a done deal, and others talking like it's a hypothetical.

4: They're increasing S-Ranks to Odin/Behemoth levels of HP? Oh lord, there are going to be so many people wiping on these! XD

Kintaro

I don't know friend. I know I party all day with people who are enjoying the hunts and only complain about jerks being jerks. I know I enjoy talking to people I'm running around with. Then I also know that I come on here and see people complaining about how bad hunts are. Even with all that I can't speak for the feelings of the community at large. Do remember you are in kind of an echo chamber with only a few dissenting voices and that people go to forums to complain more then they do to talk good about stuff that they could be enjoying instead.

We have fun within a lot of the silly design decisions made in this game (how about those Zodiac quests eh?). It doesn't make them not silly. Speaking of silly, why can't hunting groups make alliances? Why are the daily and weekly bills so pathetic?

Also, I believe these threads are more positive than negative in general.

See, my real beef is that the hunts are nothing but unofficial FATEs. I'm not sure how thats different from people zerging FATEs are since people are just mindlessly combing zones for these things, call them out, meet up and its ZERG TIME. how is this different from the FATE Zergs of 2.0? I meet a lot of people in FATE parties then too. Guess what? That was silly then too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Thank you.

Plenty of people don't like the hunt system. You enjoy it, that's fine, but people can have opinions on what should be done to change/improve things all they want. No opinion is "terrible" either.

ReaperXL7

Anyhow, two cents.

1: Shame I never got to see the no Tank Ramuh strat at work, but it's just as well. While I'm slowly getting better at my DRG, I still prefer tackling high level content as a WAR.

2: Increasing the HP of hunts and decreasing the amount you need to contribute to get full credit will help, they'll at least make the A's and B's last longer, so the solo and unaffiliated players have more of a shot at them.

3: Okay, "have," they increased the rewards for daily hunts, or are they just thinking about it? I'm seeing some people talking like it's a done deal, and others talking like it's a hypothetical.

Even with the Titan egi strategy you could have still done the content as there will always be people who want to do things the real way.

All they did by nerfing Titan is ensure that summoner is back to always being expected to use Garuda only for end game content. It's a shame that the Tank summon is not allowed to tank end game content.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Even with the Titan egi strategy you could have still done the content as there will always be people who want to do things the real way.

All they did by nerfing Titan is ensure that summoner is back to always being expected to use Garuda for end game content. It's a shame that the Tank summon is not allowed to tank end game content.

You can use Ifrit in Turn 8 actually.

WolvenOne

All they did by nerfing Titan is ensure that summoner is back to always being expected to use Garuda for end game content. It's a shame that the Tank summon is not allowed to tank end game content.

Titan Egi strat removed several of the fight mechanics, so it's not as if people were just swapping one job class for another.

zewone

I hope even the hunt naysayers can agree that the S ranks basically being new Odin/Behemoths is pretty cool.

I've always loved these two mobs and now there's a new one for every zone which involves the community to unlock.

Zalasta

To be honest, I'm having a lot of trouble with the glamorized idea that the hunt system encourages exploration. Sorry if I come off as skeptical but with how competitive the hunting scene is, it's really hard for me to believe the people who spent hours doing it are simply roaming the zone hope to find targets by chance without any kind of tools to assist. The truth is without any structure or limit, the player base will always take it to the extreme and exploit things as much as they can. People just cannot help themselves.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To be honest, I'm having a lot of trouble with the glamorized idea that the hunt system encourages exploration. Sorry if I come off as skeptical but with how competitive the hunting scene is, it's really hard for me to believe the people who spent hours doing it are simply roaming the zone hope to find targets by chance without any kind of tools to assist. The truth is without any structure or limit, the player base will always take it to the extreme and exploit things as much as they can. People just cannot help themselves.

There is other content that promotes exploration: maps, Atma farming, Animus books, FATEs, quests.

ReaperXL7

You can use Ifrit in Turn 8 actually.

I have seen Summoners get torn apart for pulling out anything other then Garuda. I'm sure there are people who are cool with different strategies, but many people just seem to want Monkey See, monkey do content with no experimentation allowed.

Sophia

Or do you know them on a much better level and care to inform us? By all means, I'm all ears. I mean, surely the developers who won't even let us premake our own alliances for CT, or continue to be baffled by a system they created that doesn't allow us to queue for DF while our chocobo is out or <insert the many other baffling design decisions in the game> can't possibly be on the wrong track with this idea?

Somehow I don't think technical or design issues that are still being worked out are quite related to them being on the wrong track. Especially in regards to technical issues which you don't understand any better than I do. :p

Instead of jumping the gun because one system didn't work out well implemented, why not give them some time? We have a live letter coming up next week and you can be sure this will be a topic of significant importance during it.

Or you can continue to make callous and disingenuous comments about the development team, I guess. :\

That is one of the pluses, exploration. It would be nicer if they were in unexplored corners of the world though (out of the way places in the zone with no quest content/zone/instance entries).

In regards to the daily hunts, this is actually something I'd kind of like to see. When you're going through the leveling up process, you constantly come across monsters that are higher level than the average for the area you're in. But once you hit about level 45, these types of monsters disappear entirely. There are virtually no normal enemies above level 50, and no real sense of danger because of that. Instead of tying these daily hunts to easily killed mobs, why not introduce level 53-58 enemies and stick them in obscure corners of the world for players to hunt? Something that can still be solo'd, and still has a normal spawn timer, but only appears in small amounts in specific locations. Like Bolders Down having some rare giants that are 53 or 55? Or the beast tribe areas having a few out of the way level 55s? Or Northern Thanalan or any area where the Garlean Empire has a presence.

That would be pretty awesome, and it'd invoke a sense of danger to the world again that is currently lacking. Of course, the rewards would need to be increased too. At the very least bump all daily hunts up to 2000 gil so that going out of your way makes a profit.

Teknoman

In regards to the daily hunts, this is actually something I'd kind of like to see. When you're going through the leveling up process, you constantly come across monsters that are higher level than the average for the area you're in. But once you hit about level 45, these types of monsters disappear entirely. There are virtually no normal enemies above level 50, and no real sense of danger because of that. Instead of tying these daily hunts to easily killed mobs, why not introduce level 53-58 enemies and stick them in obscure corners of the world for players to hunt? Something that can still be solo'd, and still has a normal spawn timer, but only appears in small amounts in specific locations. Like Bolders Down having some rare giants that are 53 or 55? Or the beast tribe areas having a few out of the way level 55s? Or Northern Thanalan or any area where the Garlean Empire has a presence.

That would be pretty awesome, and it'd invoke a sense of danger to the world again that is currently lacking. Of course, the rewards would need to be increased too. At the very least bump all daily hunts up to 2000 gil so that going out of your way makes a profit.

This would be a pretty nice mini update.

Wilsongt

I couldn't really tell, but at the end of Syrcus
was that the top of the tower with Xande? I could see them doing more "Crystal Tower" content with the voidsent stuff, but I couldn't tell if you were necessarily at the top.

It's the top. They are playing it like FFIII. The next area is Forbidden Land Eureka.

WolvenOne

In regards to having +lv50 mobs for daily hunts.

That'd be really nice, but I'm not certain the world is big enough to have all that many, "out of the way corners," so to speak. Currently most the locations in the world are designed to be a leveling ground for people going through the story, so sticking lvl55 mobs right next to lvl20's, would be a problem. Sure there are some places with level50's, and it wouldn't be a big deal to stick higher level mobs there, but then you'd always know where to go, and it wouldn't be much of a hunt.

Hopefully, during the next expansion, they put in at least a few zones that're not designed to be a leveling ground for getting people to the next cap. Assuming that the level cap is only going to 60, this, "should," be doable.

WolvenOne

BTW, been meaning to ask.

What are the chances that they'll introduce additional defense stats, say during an expansion, or whatnot? Right now the only two defense stats, (see stats that actually reduce incoming damage,) are Parry and Phy/Mag Defense, the later of which really can't be speced.

It's be nice if there was an Evade or Fortitude stat, so that us tanks had itemization options beyond stacking a ton of parry, if we want to make life easier on healers.

Jayhawk

For tank itemization, Paladins have block strength and block rate and there were some debates on which shield was better during different stages of this game.

The design team of this game keeps insisting that they make the stat system in this game simple, so I doubt they will complicate it much further.

Wilsongt

Oh wow I didnt think about that. I wonder how that will be organized since it wont or shouldnt be an enclosed area.

Probably like LoTA where there are four corridors and you ahve to clear one to go to the next. Or, they will get creative and make it you can choose which of the four dark crystal guardians you want to take on first.

And the primal data center will do it incorrectly.

WolvenOne

For tank itemization, Paladins have block strength and block rate and there were some debates on which shield was better during different stages of this game.

The design team of this game keeps insisting that they make the stat system in this game simple, so I doubt they will complicate it much further.

Yeah, if WAR's had that it'd make itemization more interesting for them, but since we're not using shields it doesn't really affect us. Guess us WAR's have to settle for having more interesting gameplay instead. XD

It's the top. They are playing it like FFIII. The next area is Forbidden Land Eureka.

They are skipping Eureka. We're heading straight to the World of Darkness next:

DengekiOnline Interview with Yoshida said:
&#8213;&#8213;It was surprising to see Xande appear as a boss so quickly. Didn't think it'd go that far (laugh).

Yoshida: That part was meant to be the prelude to the last dungeon, so we figured it would be the appropriate place for Xande.

The only way I can see them adding Eureka would be if they combined the two areas into one somehow.

Jayhawk

Same here, I was doing coil 3 of the last 4 nights, tonight it's time to get my hunt on.

Are you and Choco in the FC's hunt LS yet? Make sure to ask for an LS invite before getting your hunt on. The linkshell and the FC mumble are usually how hunt pop information is shared.

Wilsongt

They are skipping Eureka. We're heading straight to the World of Darkness next:

The only way I can see them adding Eureka would be if they combined the two areas into one somehow.

Looking over a map of FFIII and Eureka I can see that now. As the four bosses in Eureka are our current 4 bosses of Syrcus tower.

There are still two parts of CT left, though. So perhaps we deal with the four crystal guardians, then the last part deals with CoD and
Nero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom