• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Not on Sargatanas, some people must want i110 gear for all their 9 jobs....

Well, I think the biggest thing to change, is that most people aren't shouting Hunts anymore. This is both a good and bad thing. It's good for the hunt LSs, because targets aren't getting zerged down as quickly, and groups are more likely to wait for a decent number of people arriving. Before, we were seeing a lot of random stuff face pulling, or pulling when there was only a single party or so around.

It's bad, because it makes it more difficult for casual players to get on board.

To this end, I really hope they improve the reward for doing daily hunts. Really, if people complete thier dailies for a week or two, they should get a Sands. Itwouldn't be as lucrative, but for players that don't want toto eat into a formal hunting LS, itd be a good consolation.

zewone

Can someone explain what exactly the problem is with the hunts? I've been trying to follow but I'm lost.

You kill certain mobs to earn seals. It's very easy when coordinated with a large group of people.

You turn in the seals for items that were previously locked behind Second Coil and there is no cap, so you can earn quite a lot of good items very quickly.

Can someone explain what exactly the problem is with the hunts? I've been trying to follow but I'm lost.

Is content that is bringing a lot of toxic in the community and is also, "controlled" by a small bunch of dicks in several servers, leaving with a great part of users with very little chances of getting seals without wasting several more hours into it.

Also cheating, lots of it.

Well, I think the biggest thing to change, is that most people aren't shouting Hunts anymore. This is both a good and bad thing. It's good for the hunt LSs, because targets aren't getting zerged down as quickly, and groups are more likely to wait for a decent number of people arriving. Before, we were seeing a lot of random stuff face pulling, or pulling when there was only a single party or so around.

It's bad, because it makes it more difficult for casual players to get on board.

To this end, I really hope they improve the reward for doing daily hunts. Really, if people complete thier dailies for a week or two, they should get a Sands. Itwouldn't be as lucrative, but for players that don't want toto eat into a formal hunting LS, itd be a good consolation.

Exactly is getting worst by the day instead of better.

Unless you are in one of "those" LS, you are gonna run around like a headless chicken.

iammeiam

You kill certain mobs to earn seals. It's very easy when coordinated with a large group of people.

You turn in the seals for items that were previously locked behind Second Coil and there is no cap, so you can earn quite a lot of good items very quickly.

To expand, it also rewards myth and soldiery tomes, which means an easy and direct path to content people used to have to do their daily roulettes for, which sucks some of the air out of dungeons.

Additionally, because the seals are awarded to potentially multiple groups of people, you wind up with an uneasy meld of cooperation (if EVERYONE follows the unofficial rules, rewards are maxed) and competition (wanting to make sure you don't miss out because some other jerk can't follow the unwritten rules.) Given how good the rewards are, people get pissed at each other, fast. GAF wound up becoming the server whipping boy for bad behavior, likely due to FC size more than reality. It's created some tension. Now people are playing Top Secret with their info.

Basically it was designed to be chilled-out casual content, but the rewards are so good it's become the most serious of business and impossible to do solo (SE just buffed the previously-soloable monsters in part to combat the Zerg.)

It was really funny watching Naul and the other smaller hunt targets getting evaporated the moment they spawn. There's something surreal about watching a Odin-sized group waiting for a big stupid flying monster to appear so they can bop it out of existence.

I will stick to my Syrcus Tower/Roulettes/Maps/Beast Tribe Quests/Frontlines for my Myth, Sol, and Oil needs, as well as some pug t7s.

No need to be involved with all of the buttholes for hunts.

Yup, that's my strategy too.

I hate this A.D.D. hunt crap.
(If there weren't so many cheaters, I wouldn't mind so much.... Because the cheaters are ultimately upsetting balance in the game)

Jayhawk

Just a friendly reminder that you don't need full credit to get a log in A or S hunt...

log.jpg

That is why I try to make it out to an A or S hunt just for the potential 250 seal drop, even if I miss out on the mob.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Somehow I don't think technical or design issues that are still being worked out are quite related to them being on the wrong track. Especially in regards to technical issues which you don't understand any better than I do. :p

Instead of jumping the gun because one system didn't work out well implemented, why not give them some time? We have a live letter coming up next week and you can be sure this will be a topic of significant importance during it.

Or you can continue to make callous and disingenuous comments about the development team.

Try critical. They gets props when they do great and criticized when they dont. Well, guess what? They havent done well with this at all imo. I am certainly not the only one who is critical of many of their design decisions.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just a friendly reminder that you don't need full credit to get a log in A or S hunt...

log.jpg

That is why I try to make it out to an A or S hunt just for the potential 250 seal drop, even if I miss out on the mob.

Good to know. I've been wondering about this.

I've farmed 591 seals and have yet to see one of those logs.

WolvenOne

With this sort of content, it's impossible for everyoneto walk away a winner. As such, my only concern is with maximizing the number of winners. It's harder to do that when there are so many players rushing to a mere B rank, that nobody can get a full rotation in before it's dead.

Simply put, unless marks just spawned constantly, without pause, there isn't going to be enough for everyone. So sue me if I'm not upset that some of the smaller, disorganized groups out there have given up. Yes, I'd love to see an alternate method for them to grind out the same rewards, but the experience is overall much better.

Besides, Bs were never meant to be Shout Zerged anyway.

iammeiam

It's Naul.

No, I'm not confusing last weeks with this weeks.
Yes. It's Naul again.

Yes. It will be Naul next week too.

It would be cool if Naul was blessed with the Echo and every week he came back bigger and stronger.

Instead it just kind of feels like the GCs are picking on the poor guy.

Jayhawk

Another point I want to bring up regarding hunts is that getting credit is similar to how you get credit in FATEs. As a DRG in a full group actively participating, I can get full credit just from 1 off-GCD attack on B hunts. WHMs can get full credit doing one Medica II if the rest of their party has hate on the hunt mob. I assume PLD can get full credit with a Shield Lob + Circle of Scorn.

With this sort of content, it's impossible for everyoneto walk away a winner. As such, my only concern is with maximizing the number of winners. It's harder to do that when there are so many players rushing to a mere B rank, that nobody can get a full rotation in before it's dead.

Simply put, unless marks just spawned constantly, without pause, there isn't going to be enough for everyone. So sue me if I'm not upset that some of the smaller, disorganized groups out there have given up. Yes, I'd love to see an alternate method for them to grind out the same rewards, but the experience is overall much better.

Besides, Bs were never meant to be Shout Zerged anyway.

There were tons of LS for hunt, now most of them are dead. Pretty hard to compete with people placing 10 players in a zone they know an A is gonna spawn in a few minutes (or a S), and that's not even considering cheaters into ecuation. Maximizing the winners is an utopia right now, always the same people are getting most rewards.

The experience is shit for 90% of players. Maybe if the content worked like it was intended it could be fun, right now is a shitfest.

And yeah, B can now be zerged.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Another point I want to bring up regarding hunts is that getting credit is similar to how you get credit in FATEs. As a DRG in a full group actively participating, I can get full credit just from 1 off-GCD attack on B hunts. WHMs can get full credit doing one Medica II if the rest of their party has hate on the hunt mob. I assume PLD can get full credit with a Shield Lob + Circle of Scorn.

As DRG I usually pop Blood for Blood then start with Dragonfire Dive, Spineshatter Dive, then Jump.

The mob is usually dead after the Spineshatter. but I get full credit.

Tabris

Why is it OK for others to bad talk the FC I'm in here when I was told to not talk to FC drama and this thread was about the game and not FC drama?

zewone

log.jpg

They also drop from B hunts as well.

BadRNG

BTW: an additional reason why I'd like to see additional defensive stats, is because, if I understand it correctly, parry is going to eventually be maxed out anyway.

The stat is basically a Reverse-Crit on incoming damage, and like Crit-Rate, eventually you should reach you'll reach the point on Parry where you're Reverse-Critting about as much as possible, during which point stacking more parry simply won't do you much good.

Granted, you can stack Strength, which will increase the amount of damage you parry, but once we hit that point defensive itemization will essentially be a thing of the past, as far as I understand it.

So adding another defense sub-stat, say, reverse Determination. (Fortitude: decreases incoming damage, increasing incoming healing.) Would make sense by then.

Though I guess they could just, alter how parry works.
I am not aware of any diminishing return system on parry, or crit for that matter. If you have data indicating otherwise please share, but as far as I know you get an (estimated, we don't know exact numbers) 0.078ish chance of parry per point and this stays that way no matter how much parry you have. If you were hypothetically ever reach 100% parry chance then yeah it would be pointless to stack more, but you'd need nearly double the current possible max parry/max acc set up. By the time we'd ever get that kind of parry, we'd of increased the level cap, and any logical MMO gear system scales stat benefits based on character level.

And no sane person will ever stack strength to increase amount of damage parried/blocked. It works on a tiered system, so you need X amount of strength to reach % amount parried/blocked. Any extra points before next cap is useless for the purpose of mitigation. And that's on top of the fact that STR is a main stat, so outside of sacrificing a ton of vit and wearing dps accessories you couldn't ever specifically try to stack it, and the people who do that aren't doing it to tank. It's to increase damage.

Parry is fine as is, or at least fine in the current secondary stat system, which is pretty bad in my opinion but that's a whole 'nother thing.

Pretty much. 7PM needs to come sooner so I can be in coil. Still need to get my CT drop and do my Expert Roulette but those avenues are still super chill.

How do you know when the CT2 loot restriction lifts? Is it at the same time as the soldiery cap?

In other news, is there any point to stabling chocobos? When the FC leaders ask which buff to put on next I always ask for chocobo exp only to always get laughed at. I guess some people reeeeaaally like their food buff, which I don't really get. Plus food isn't needed for like 99% of the content and thus 99% of players, yet everyone has a chocobo, but I digress.

I was told to stable it instead. I did. I used one of those fruits you get on the unlock quest. I was able to sell 2 for 15k on the first few days after the patch, now they're at around 6k, which is still a pretty penny. So I used it and my chocobo gained a whopping 4k experience. Then I couldn't use it in an hour. Considering I need around 400k experience just for rank 6, it seems a little underwhelming. Plus you can gain way more than that just doing dailies and books in way less than an hour.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I know that you can unlock levels higher than 10 (I don't even want to speculate how much those onions are gonna be), but for leveling it seems pretty useless, unless I'm missing something.

Sorian

Banned
Few things -
Goody they nerved Titan Egi as intended.
Second - I feel immediately turned off by this hunt thing. Im just getting the jist of how it works. I called out a monster and it was a fate. I got egged on by a bunch of people saying i shouldn't, especially in private tells... Well shit, i didnt fucking know.. People treating me like I SHOULD know. Fuck it. GAF LS is really on edge with this hunt shit. Almost decided to leave. But I'll stick around. Im not putting names out there for who said what, for ill just leave it as so. Maybe it was due to the fact that others were hunting and their hunts weren't going so well.

I hate to go back but I just saw this. I'm confused what the issue was (don't know what was said in tells) but I see nothing wrong with what was said publicly. You kept posting FATE mobs in a linkshell meant for hunts. Of course we were going to tell you to bring it somewhere else, when coordinates get posted, people should expect that they lead to a hunt mob not a fate.

I hate to go back but I just saw this. I'm confused what the issue was (don't know what was said in tells) but I see nothing wrong with what was said publicly. You kept posting FATE mobs in a linkshell meant for hunts. Of course we were going to tell you to bring it somewhere else, when coordinates get posted, people should expect that they lead to a hunt mob not a fate.

They could have explained it in a reasonable matter. Give it a rest

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

About six people told him in quick succession in varying states of passive-aggressiveness. Including, looking back, probably me. We need to stop snapping at people in the LS as a general thing, and anyone who sent him tells is going way too far.

WolvenOne

While I haven't been online yet, it sounds like Bs still don't hold up very long if there's a couple dozen full parties going at it.

Now, putting out a shout for an A, makes sense, especially if you need more people to take it down without risk, and people should definitely put out Shouts for an S.

For Bs though, nah, get 4 to 6 parties there, make certain nobody in those parties is still dashing on in, and pull. Even with the additional HP, a hunting pool much larger then that isn't going to be reasonable .

studyguy

While I haven't been online yet, it sounds like Bs still don't hold up very long if there's a couple dozen full parties going at it.

Now, putting out a shout for an A, makes sense, especially if you need more people to take it down without risk, and people should definitely put out Shouts for an S.

For Bs though, nah, get 4 to 6 parties there, make certain nobody in those parties is still dashing on in, and pull. Even with the additional HP, a hunting pool much larger then that isn't going to be reasonable .

Unless a B was in my area, I normally didn't bother porting for it. They die in no time flat.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

This is really uncalled for. He made an honest mistake.

dark_chris

They could have explained it in a reasonable matter. Give it a rest

Yeah I honestly didnt know and I was trying to get the jist of how these hunts worked. And from a technical sense, the mob in the fate was a hunt mob. Didn't know there were elite type of creatures to hunt until later on.
But yeah, the bolded could have worked.
Lets move on.

Jayhawk

I posted a link to a spreadsheet on the GAF guildwork forums. It will be for tracking spawn times for Ultros GAF, along with some general tips and notes. A lot of content is copied from the popular spreadsheet used by many servers. I want to restrict edit access to only a few people, after what happened before on PVP events when edit access was unrestricted.

WolvenOne

My friends and I got 5, but now it looks like one can't go. When I confirm it I can sell you one if you would like.

Anyone coordinating GAF meetup at FanFest? If not, I'd be glad to handle it.

Go ahead and PM me if that ticket becomes available, we'll see if we can work something out.

Kenai

In a nutshell, it's both the best place to get myth/sold/seals and also uncapped/very easy for the effort required. so folks can ignore almost everything else in the game. Too much of a one stop thing

The drama regarding pulling early/blamegaming and shutting out solo players and small groups and the scanning app cheaters all don't help either, but I feel the main problems are the first couple of points.

Sophia

I've never understood why the hunts award both Allagan Tomestones and Seals. Seems like it'd be an easy fix to just have the tomes purchased for seals.

scosher

I like that hunts have encouraged open world exploration. I like that hunts created a sense of server community, even if a hostile one. WoW was best in its early vanilla/TBC days when you had guild rivalries and open world pvp skirmishes between Alliance and Horde. Now most MMO's are just town hubs with instanced dungeons/battles.

Square had the right mindset with hunts, it's just the implementation was piss poor. Rewards were too good to the point that it overshadowed all other content; rewards from daily/weekly bills were so awful that it wasn't even worth your time to hunt them; and marks died so quickly that it would actually hurt your seal/tomestone gain if you waited for too many players to show up (especially if you weren't in a hunt group). All of the above combined is what created the toxicity in the community, in my opinion. Ironically, what was something that I assume was meant for casuals ended up being taken over by the hardcore, especially this being easier to gear up to iLvl 110 than Second Coil.

Teknoman

So...when do you guys think the first expansion will hit? I know the Ninja patch is probably going to be huge, but just out of curiosity. Also when are we going to be able to duty find as an alliance?

Hi guys. Just a couple of questions, I've been considering trying out FF14 but am a little unsure about making the leap!

1) How's the game on PS3, or should I wait until I get a PS4 in a year or so? Work okay on wifi?
2) Is it playable at all in 1-2 hour bursts, or do you really need bigger segments of time?

Thanks in advance!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hi guys. Just a couple of questions, I've been considering trying out FF14 but am a little unsure about making the leap!

1) How's the game on PS3, or should I wait until I get a PS4 in a year or so? Work okay on wifi?
2) Is it playable at all in 1-2 hour bursts, or do you really need bigger segments of time?

Thanks in advance!

PS4 for sure. And this game is playable in smaller bursts of time, but any MMO usually requires more of a time commitment nearing end game.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So...when do you guys think the first expansion will hit? I know the Ninja patch is probably going to be huge, but just out of curiosity. Also when are we going to be able to duty find as an alliance?

I'm going to guess mid-late next year with a few more decent content patches in the meantime.

squadr0n

The only problem is for people already level 50 btw. I'm a lvl 36 Pali and I haven't noticed a single change in wait times for the duty finder. Since you have to be level 50 to even access the hunt system it hasn't changed my experiences yet.

Some people are saying some areas are just barren now but I still haven't noticed this yet. Trying so hard to hit 50 but it's becoming a huge chore. The story line quests in this game is soo freaking long!

I posted a link to a spreadsheet on the GAF guildwork forums. It will be for tracking spawn times for Ultros GAF, along with some general tips and notes. A lot of content is copied from the popular spreadsheet used by many servers. I want to restrict edit access to only a few people, after what happened before on PVP events when edit access was unrestricted.

This spreadsheet could be useful for another reason. The other FCs of any notable size on this server coordinate their Hunters so that people patrol parts of each zone to watch for spawns. Hunters who are online in the LS can sign up to patrol a certain part of a zone, with bigger zones like Coerthas, Central Shroud, and Southern Thanalan divided into areas covered by multiple Hunters. That way GAF can be everywhere at all times watching for pops, when one is spotted the mark can be called in the LS, everyone hunting ports in, we'll kill it, and resume our patrols. As people leave and arrive, they simply add and remove their names from the spreadsheet at an available not covered zone.

We have over 500+ people in this FC, there is no reason why we couldn't dominate and control the Hunts on Ultros if we could organize like the smaller but still large FCs like NA and CL. The server already hates us, we could really make them mad if we wanted to.

Thanks in advance!
If you're gonna get it get the ps3 version as it's cheaper and upgrades for free to the ps4 version. Basically their's no penalty for buying the ps3 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom