• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's less of a problem with the stables and more of a problem with how chocobo food is tied to gardening. There's a maximum of 3 gardening patches (8 plots each) that can be placed for a large house. Even assuming all 24 plots are firing at full throttle with choco food growing in every plot on grade 3 shroud soil, that's 432 chocobo food every 3 real world days.

If there are 60 chocobos in the stables, that 432 choco food lasts only 7 hours.

People could always buy their own off the market board...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looking at CL's recruitment page:

During progression pushes we require a minimum of 16 hours a day outside of our regular five-day schedule (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sun. 7-11PM EST)

Da fuck

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
This is why they need personal garden pots for rooms or something. Pretty annoying how so much of that kind of thing is tied to FC and not individual.

I think their solution will just be "Buy your own house in 2.38"

Which does work.

Sophia

It is. You find something and get a few seals, awesome, but hear the shouts of where a hunt supposedly is and it's hilarious drama. IOf you don't take it too serious, it's fantastic.

Makes me glad there's not much drama on Adamantoise, as hilarious as it sounds. The worst anyone complains here is just about the FC Mimic, and only because some of their members pull too early. :p

IvorB

Yeah. Everyone has it. o.o

Yeah just googled. I wondered what that key was for. Anyways I think I will stick to my chocobo. The magitek mount is large and ungainly. I also got issued another mount for three month sub but I haven't looked at it. I like my trusty Artax. I would only swap that for a coeurl maybe.

IvorB

Looking at CL's recruitment page:

During progression pushes we require a minimum of 16 hours a day outside of our regular five-day schedule (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sun. 7-11PM EST)

Da fuck

But there are only 24 hrs in a day total. A typo perhaps... maybe they meant "week".

So the health buff really changed nothing then, if people are still having to fiercely guard information. If they'd really pushed to Odin-levels there'd be no reason for this Secret Squirrel BS as even once engaged there's be a decent window to show up and still get credit.

Nope, not really. If you're in a party it's kind of easier to just show up now and get credit, but once the "zerg" engages, the mob is only gonna last about 10-20 seconds longer than it did before.

As most people pointed out, this is a band-aid on a broken arm. They're gonna have to either rework the system, alter the rewards, or simply cap seal gain on a weekly basis or something. I'm not sure what they expected when they added this, but it definitely shows a lack of foresight on the execution of Hunts in general.

This spy drama stuff is actually kind of amazing sounding, lol.

That's why I've gotten so far into it myself. Seeing stuff like people out in the world scouting for oncoming parties on a mob they're trying to hold/hide---it's an amazing thing to look at socially. The drama, the tears, the salt. I love it.

The sands and gear are an afterthought to me behind that stuff.

Koriandrr

Yeah just googled. I wondered what that key was for. Anyways I think I will stick to my chocobo. The magitek mount is large and ungainly. I also got issued another mount for three month sub but I haven't looked at it. I like my trusty Artax. I would only swap that for a coeurl maybe.

Fat Chocobo for life. No regrets.

1557298_10152417284753783_1640291793927080519_o.jpg

Makes me glad there's not much drama on Adamantoise, as hilarious as it sounds. The worst anyone complains here is just about the FC Mimic, and only because some of their members pull too early. :p

The current trend is for NA/CL (mostly, other randoms as well) to pull early or without warning and once it's dead start shouting and pointing fingers at GAF.

Sophia

The current trend is for NA/CL (mostly, other randoms as well) to pull early or without warning and once it's dead start shouting and pointing fingers at GAF.

People are usually pretty good about not pulling here. My guildmate started a Linkshell with the intent of finding A/S rank ones, and allowing everyone to get there before they pull, and for the most part it works. Every so often you get someone jumping the gun and getting a few nasty remarks, but it's not the norm except for Naul.

Koriandrr

Clearly that's just how hardcore they are.

Think about it though - if you spend 16 hours a day (somehow staying awake) to push coil, then you'll push it faster and that's what world first groups do. Then once you've pushed it out of the way, you just do it casually twice a week and get it over with and have more time to do other things, while everyone else spends like an hour 2-3 times a week coiling, taking them overall 3x more time to get it done.

I think from that perspective, if you can take the days off to do it, it's actually saving time in the big picture, plus getting new content out of the way as it comes out.

Zomba13

This spy drama stuff is actually kind of amazing sounding, lol.

We had an amazing spy doing some great work (of their own volition, no one asked them to) who was getting all the sweet hunt locations and then decided to stop for the evening and end with a joke about good luck with us getting any more hunts without them. People got upset at that saying how rude it was. Was completely true though which made it even funnier.

It's less of a problem with the stables and more of a problem with how chocobo food is tied to gardening. There's a maximum of 3 gardening patches (8 plots each) that can be placed for a large house. Even assuming all 24 plots are firing at full throttle with choco food growing in every plot on grade 3 shroud soil, that's 432 chocobo food every 3 real world days.

If there are 60 chocobos in the stables, that 432 choco food lasts only 7 hours.
I'm super disappointed in the gardening. I wish it was more like the chocobo stables, where everyone can use it and help themselves or others. Like, I'd like to be able to plant my own crops while also have other memebers do the same and I'm able to water or whatever theirs and they can do the same to mine. Or at the very least give us pots for our personal rooms like in FFXI. I loved growing stuff (well, it was something cool to do every time I logged in a reason to pop on daily) and was excited about gardening but it's all been locked out and it means if I want to get the food stuff to train chocobos (and get the silly hat for my 'bo) I'm gonna have to spend a lot more on the MB than I would just growing it.

Hope personal housing isn't too expensive for a small home so I can try some gardening.

aceface

I did my first sustained run at hunts last night for about two hours and I don't think it's going to work for me. There's a few reasons: First, I can only come on during Ultros prime hours (9pm Eastern on) and all the marks were absolutely swamped. Second, most of the time I'm playing on an old Macbook that takes forever to load areas. So, because of these things, even though I would port the second the mark was announced on the LS I would only make it around 50% of the time, and all of the ones I made it for were B marks. For whatever reason, people seemed to pull the A's faster so I didn't get full credit for one A. In total I got about 60 Soldiery tomes and I could have gotten at least double that doing dungeons.

It sucks because as a concept I'm not against it. Band of adventurers scouting the world, figuring out where the next mark is going to spawn, it's fun. The scouting runs took me to places I have not been to in months. But because of the sheer zerg mob and not being able to make it in time it was ultimately just frustrating. Maybe it would have been different if S marks were popping.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Best thing about these HNM-type hunts in XIV, is I never bothered to attempt to do the HNM's from XI. So, I'll never do XIV versions. Win-Win.

Sophia

They waited entirely too long to add this.

I dunno. I can see some loner players doing it. Not me tho. I'm happy with my Free Company house and the personal room I have.

It'd be interesting if they tied Personal Housing to the wedding system in any way. Maybe like a house chest to store items that's shared between two couples?

Zalasta

Honestly, if they aren't going to place any limits at all, they should've made the spawn rarer and the rate lower. That way people can't grind on them at all hours. They should not be as frequent as Fates.

Lost in all of the hunt drama, theres a post on the Ultros GAF FC forums for "Fun event ideas!"

Elliott asked me to post and remind people to check it out and give input, so if that sounds interesting go look!

Teknoman

Lost in all of the hunt drama, theres a post on the Ultros GAF FC forums for "Fun event ideas!"

Elliott asked me to post and remind people to check it out and give input, so if that sounds interesting go look!

Yup everyone give it some thought. I do wonder how a chocobo race would work. Or maybe some kinda relay race?

draw4wild

After grinding out the marks I needed for 1 sands I won't be touching hunts. My main issues are:
1. The main component of hunts is time, if you can be on 24 hours a day there is no limit to howmuch you can do. You can't be good or bad at hunts, you just have to be on for them.
2. Still cannot do it solo. I was in queue for CT2 yesterday and an A was up, I didn't want to group but ran over and got there before the pull. It was dead in 6 global cool downs and I got 2 marks for my trouble. If I grouped up it would have cost me the 15 min I was in queue for ct2
3. Logs dropping from mobs. It took me probably 15 hours of hunting to get the marks I needed, had no log drops. Someone could kill 3 mobs in 5 min and have the same result. The only way I would be ok with these dropping is if it went only to the person who actually found the mark, like if we got a non aggro ability to claim a mob for the log. This way solo players who find a mark up doesn't have to be afraid to call people
4. Naul again.... Wtf were they thinking

Finally done Thornmarch Hard. Been putting it off for months because I thought it sounded really difficult, and it was absolutely pants. :s It was very Kingdom Hearty feeling. The music, specifically.

Got 0 commendations even though I tanked perfectly. :'(

Dunan

A day or so ago I was describing my beginner atttempts at tanking and I'm happy to report that my first full attempt at a dungeon resulted in a nice, smooth, easy win. I struggled more to understand the French spoken by my teammates (and even answer at times in my terrible never-actually-studied-the-language pidgin) than anything abttle-related, and can also report that Shield Lob was completely unnecessary, so the goofs I got stuck when I joined at the final boss of my first dungeon were probably just incompetent (and, rather than having been ditched by a bad tank, were probably given up on by a normal tank).

Loving this tanking so far even if I know it will soon get harder.

Regarding rare market goods: My retainers brought back a Goldenfin (green-icon fish) and I looked it up on the market board only to find that none had ever been bought or sold. Listed it for 60,000 gil and after sitting out there for a long time, it sold. I still don't know what it does. Maybe I should have asked for more.

Regarding PVP: Is there a way to set up pre-formed teams in Frontlines? If so, any Immortal Flame GAFfers interested in forming one? I find myself enjoying Frontlines but am still very much a beginner -- I still have no idea what's going on with the "drones". This could a tremendous amount of fun if we were well-coordinated and could learn together.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone playing a Dragoon with a controller in End Game Content have any cross bar setups they find efficient for getting high DPS they don't mind sharing?

1-50 was mostly all about that Full Thrust Combo and some buffs and jumps. I was also including Leg Sweeps for those Stuns+Increased damage, but it lowers the chance for stuns when they are needed so I took it out of my rotation. Now I want to be able to use Heavy Thrust, Impulse Drive Combo, Phlebotomize, Full thrust Combo, while applying buffs and jumps at the most opportune time while doing it in a way that doesn't feel very inefficient and alien on a controller.

A day or so ago I was describing my beginner atttempts at tanking and I'm happy to report that my first full attempt at a dungeon resulted in a nice, smooth, easy win. I struggled more to understand the French spoken by my teammates (and even answer at times in my terrible never-actually-studied-the-language pidgin) than anything abttle-related, and can also report that Shield Lob was completely unnecessary, so the goofs I got stuck when I joined at the final boss of my first dungeon were probably just incompetent (and, rather than having been ditched by a bad tank, were probably given up on by a normal tank).

Loving this tanking so far even if I know it will soon get harder.

Regarding rare market goods: My retainers brought back a Goldenfin (green-icon fish) and I looked it up on the market board only to find that none had ever been bought or sold. Listed it for 60,000 gil and after sitting out there for a long time, it sold. I still don't know what it does. Maybe I should have asked for more.

Regarding PVP: Is there a way to set up pre-formed teams in Frontlines? If so, any Immortal Flame GAFfers interested in forming one? I find myself enjoying Frontlines but am still very much a beginner -- I still have no idea what's going on with the "drones". This could a tremendous amount of fun if we were well-coordinated and could learn together.

drones are a bunch of neutral mobs that spawn at a set time in the center of the map on that huge plateau. If your gc kills one they get some points. One of the spawns is just one huge mob like roshan/dragon in dota/lol that all gc's try and kill and get a bunch of points. This only happens once I believe so you want to kill this

Anyone playing a Dragoon with a controller in End Game Content have any cross bar setups they find efficient for getting high DPS they don't mind sharing?

1-50 was mostly all about that Full Thrust Combo and some buffs and jumps. I was also including Leg Sweeps for those Stuns+Increased damage, but it lowers the chance for stuns when they are needed so I took it out of my rotation. Now I want to be able to use Heavy Thrust, Impulse Drive Combo, Phlebotomize, Full thrust Combo, while applying buffs and jumps at the most opportune time while doing it in a way that doesn't feel very inefficient and alien on a controller.

always use leg sweep if you aren't required/boss can't be stunned. how you gonna get sands/do coil and still be doing that buster dps

dramatis

I thought shes growing alot of that one while experimenting to find other foods/pets or did I get that info wrong?
Yesh. That's why not all of the gardening plots are occupied by Krakka.

So far only managed to crossbreed minions though. I was hoping I could skip the whole choco food process and cross the lowest level food with the highest level plants and get a Thav Onion off the bat. Lol

Finally done Thornmarch Hard. Been putting it off for months because I thought it sounded really difficult, and it was absolutely pants. :s It was very Kingdom Hearty feeling. The music, specifically.

Got 0 commendations even though I tanked perfectly. :'(
Yeah it sounds like Halloween town kinda

Jayhawk

I don't use a controller, but based on how Dragoon plays...

R2:
face buttons: Heavy Thrust and Impulse Drive Combo
d-pad: Blood for Blood, Internal Release, Leg Sweep, Dragonfire Dive

L2:
face buttons: Phlebotomize and Full Thrust Combo
d-pad: Power Surge, Jump, Life Surge, Spineshatter Dive

L2+R2:
everything else

Go read the Rotation Reborn thread on the official forums to maximize that deeps.

Dunan

This is genius.

I say integrate it with the sightseeing. Spotting a rare monster should be worth seals all by itself; imagine a birdwatcher who takes photos of rare birds but doesn't necessarily interact with them.

Maybe taking a screenshot could do the trick. (Castlevania Order of Ecclesia had a mini-game like this, IIRC.) Maybe you could give one kind of seal/mark for seeing the monster and the other types for fighting it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Atmas are so bad they drove me off the game for two days :p. So annoying I think Ill avoid them and start doing story quests and the EX bosses.

zewone

Another thing I never did, and probably never will, are the atmas. Really, any reason to?

There's no reason to do anything but hunts.

But seriously, only need to do Atma if you plan on continuing to Animus, Novus, beyond. Because the Atma weapon pretty much sucks without investing into Animus, as it keeps the same stats of the previous relic.

Curious to see how many GAF groups will be ready for Third Coil in a few months.
We're all waiting for the lack of lock outs and the introduction of Echo, like first coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom