• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I say integrate it with the sightseeing. Spotting a rare monster should be worth seals all by itself; imagine a birdwatcher who takes photos of rare birds but doesn't necessarily interact with them.

Maybe taking a screenshot could do the trick. (Castlevania Order of Ecclesia had a mini-game like this, IIRC.) Maybe you could give one kind of seal/mark for seeing the monster and the other types for fighting it.
I assumed hunts would work a bit like the sightseeing log, and they were testing features with it. Monster spawns depending on certain conditions and the like.

Dunan

Curious to see how many GAF groups will be ready for Third Coil in a few months.

I can't even get past the first half of the first coil -- no PUGs will do Turn 5. Fortunately there's so much other fun stuff to do that it isn't so bothersome.

There's no reason to do anything but hunts.

But seriously, only need to do Atma if you plan on continuing to Animus, Novus, beyond. Because the Atma weapon pretty much sucks without investing into Animus, as it keeps the same stats of the previous relic.

Is there any way to get a more powerful weapon without ever doing Atma? Because I'd love to not ever do Atma. I have a ton of materia that I could use for that materia-infusing part, but don't think I will ever have the dozens of hours required to do all those hundreds (thousands?) of FATEs.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can't even get past the first half of the first coil -- no PUGs will do Turn 5. Fortunately there's so much other fun stuff to do that it isn't so bothersome.

Is there any way to get a more powerful weapon without ever doing Atma? Because I'd love to not ever do Atma. I have a ton of materia that I could use for that materia-infusing part, but don't think I will ever have the dozens of hours required to do all those hundreds (thousands?) of FATEs.

Coil
Soldiery Tome + Unidentified Allagan Tomestone Weapon
Soldiery Tome and Unidentified Allagan Tomestone Weapon + Sands of Time

iammeiam

UAT from CT2 + 3 weeks soldiery saved up gets you an i100 weapon; then do hunts, get your welfare sands, and get to i110, putting you on parity with Novus iLevel-wise at least.

Mature

I'm under the impression that the relic weapon will ultimately something you'll want to invest in since it's something that will probably continue to develop in the future.

Teknoman

With the current echo, I still say we should team up on Friday and try to get this done.

zewone

Turn 5 and Levi Ex will drop i95 weapons which are stronger than base Atma.

Levi Ex also drops a Mirror which can upgrade Levi weapons into i100 (very rare).

Ramuh Ex drops i100 weapons.

And as other people have mentioned, you can get a UAT and 1,300 Soldiery to get an i100 weapon, which can be upgraded to i110 with a Sands of Time.

I'm under the impression that the relic weapon will ultimately something you'll want to invest in since it's something that will probably continue to develop in the future.

It will, but the Atma grind sucks, Animus grind sucks, Novus grind sucks. There are quicker, more enjoyable ways of getting comparable or better weapons.

I'm sure when the next relic is available, we will have opportunities of getting weapons with comparable iLevels.

Mature

It will, but the Atma grind sucks, Animus grind sucks, Novus grind sucks. There are quicker, more enjoyable ways of getting comparable or better weapons.

I'm sure when the next relic is available, we will have opportunities of getting weapons with comparable iLevels.
Can't argue with that. For me, having played some intensely RNG based and grinding based Korean MMOs in my day, the Atma grind is almost pedestrian.

Item Box

mUE9uGg.png

well then

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First of what I'm sure will be several stupid questions now that I've returned to the game.

Why is it I can only select one duty in Dutyfinders sometimes, and select up to 5 other times?

aceface

mUE9uGg.png

well then

Frontlines ends when one team loses (or wins) yes?

I was playing around with an idea for speedrunning for tomes which involves your team getting purposely smacked around as fast as possible.

Edit: Dr. Forester ^^ The types of duties you can sign up for depend on how many people you have in your party, what jobs those people are on, if you've done your roulettes that day and the like.

Noi

I'm not sure why people say that the HP buff on Hunts was worthless. That extra HP has been the difference between not having enough time to get a lowsy 2 seals to consistently getting 13 Seals as a solo Tank on A ranks.

First of what I'm sure will be several stupid questions now that I've returned to the game.

Why is it I can only select one duty in Dutyfinders sometimes, and select up to 5 other times?

You can only queue for one Duty Roulette at a time (which is technically queueing you to more than 5 of the that type of content with the exception of Expert/Main Scenario), but can queue up to 5 Dungeons/Trials/Raids/Guildhests at once.

Hasney

I'm not sure why people say that the HP buff on Hunts was worthless. That extra HP has been the difference between not having enough time to get a lowsy 2 seals to consistently getting 13 Seals as a solo Tank on A ranks.

I still can't get above 2 solo. And that was on Naul.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You can only queue for one Duty Roulette at a time (which is technically queueing you to more than 5 of the that type of content with the exception of Expert/Main Scenario), but can queue up to 5 Dungeons/Trials/Raids/Guildhests at once.

That be it. Thanks.

Reknoc

yesssssss
iR0Vv6v.png

yessssssssssssssssssssssss

now I guess I'll just work my way down or get whatever whenever. Just a week to go ._.

Noi

I still can't get above 2 solo. And that was on Naul.

I just got 30 Seals for doing the N. Thanalan S Rank solo. Then again, I was tanking it (red aggro) for half the fight.

2 Solo for B ranks sounds par for the course seeing how they're only worth 5 in the first place!

Ken

Think about it though - if you spend 16 hours a day (somehow staying awake) to push coil, then you'll push it faster and that's what world first groups do. Then once you've pushed it out of the way, you just do it casually twice a week and get it over with and have more time to do other things, while everyone else spends like an hour 2-3 times a week coiling, taking them overall 3x more time to get it done.

I think from that perspective, if you can take the days off to do it, it's actually saving time in the big picture, plus getting new content out of the way as it comes out.

100% true.

Also add in that these guys are going in blind and you can see why so many hours are needed.

lordxar

Someone in my FC used to talk about getting his T9 weapon or Levi mirrors and scoffed at the ATMA grind. A couple months later he's finished his Animus, gotten to Levi but not beaten much less farmed, and is stuck at T6 or T7. The moral is, yes there are other i100 weapons besides Animus but getting them is a bitch. It is easier now since the last patch with ST dropping UAT but the Atma/Animus/Novus effort is something to build without doing high end content grinding. Yes its a grind...but it can't be easy or the other stuff would be ignored a la hunts.

BLCKATK

Nice read. I understand all the points that they are making, but my desire for content outside of coil that can help endgame progression still stands. I just don't really know what the best way to design it would be. I'd be completely open for the cost of sands and oil to be increased but I just feel a cap doesn't fix anything.. I was enjoying the fact that I knew I could do the content as much as I wanted without hitting a wall and being unmotivated to continue.

The Hunt, even through all the bullshit and drama that has ensued on my server Balmung, has still been an enjoyable experience for me. I have grown closer to FC members, met several new players through hunt LS, and even through the negative the positive shines through when working together scouting, figuring out how to get everyone the maximum credit, or finally figuring out how to spawn an S Rank. It's the content I've always wanted in this game though not executed as well as I'd liked. I just hope they do not remove it or take away too much from its roots.

But this game really needs a way for people that like to push endgame to do work on their own. In the beginning of 2.2, there were absolutely ways to do so, with Leviathan, Moogle and Soldiery gear, but once we reached Turn 9 with tons of duplicate drops and people suffering from not being geared through coil, I knew they needed to add some kind of a system for players to work on their endgame progression at their own pace. Hunts gave players the power to do that. Maybe a little too much power, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I didn't read the article yet but CT2 would have fulfilled this role.

Right, CT is the perfect place for that sort of stuff especially since you can run it as much as you want to get the reward you want rather than relying on RNG.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Issue with CT is being limited to one reward per week. When you get your one item, then what?

That's not an issue in my opinion. It allows you to plan out progression and if you are doing coil you can supplement CT drops with whatever you didn't get in coil that week as well.

aceface

I thought the Relic weapon stuff was for people who want endgame progression outside of coil.

As for gear you can get up to i100 without setting foot in second coil, I think that's fine.

Ken

Issue with CT is being limited to one reward per week. When you get your one item, then what?

Then you go try to make progression with your piece of CT gear and all of the soldiery gear you've been accumulating over time?

Coil limits you to 2, 4, 6, and then 8 pieces of loot a week (not counting sands, oils, and UAT) split among 8 people, with no guarantee that loot is equally distributed or useful. CT2 can give a group potentially 8x upgrades a week. CT2 is supplemental to soldiery and Coil gear progression, I feel.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I thought the Relic weapon stuff was for people who want endgame progression outside of coil.

As for gear you can get up to i100 without setting foot in second coil, I think that's fine.

That's just it, relic IS for people who want weapon progression outside of coil. It's also the reason why the Ramuh and Leviathan (upgraded) weapons were also an option. For 2.3, CT is another way to do that with the addition of the unidentified tomestone but more importantly you can get some i100 gear that is in a lot of cases better than the soldiery equivalent.

Jayhawk

They obviously wanted to add another option for end-game progression on top of the relic quest chain. Let us not pretend that having players repeatedly speed-running Brayflox was great game design and a positive for the community.

Hasney

I just got 30 Seals for doing the N. Thanalan S Rank solo. Then again, I was tanking it (red aggro) for half the fight.

2 Solo for B ranks sounds par for the course seeing how they're only worth 5 in the first place!

Haha, whoops. Thought Naul was S the way people bang on about him.

Currently doing frontlines and I'm the only person going middle... Jesus. Congrats guys, we got the most holdings!!! ... But we're losing still

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They obviously wanted to add another option for end-game progression on top of the relic quest chain. Let us not pretend that having players repeatedly speed-running Brayflox was great game design and a positive for the community.

New dungeons plus increased myth rewards were meant to help those with the rest of the relic progression. Brayflox was never going to be the only option.

Jayhawk

New dungeons plus increased myth rewards were meant to help those with the rest of the relic progression. Brayflox was never going to be the only option.

And how the hunt system is currently used is not how they envisioned it to be like, but the community will always go towards the most efficient ways of getting rewards.

BLCKATK

I didn't read the article yet but CT2 would have fulfilled this role.

That is true, and it is definitely better this time around than during 2.1.

Well, I hope that in their solution to fixing Hunts they don't destroy what makes it fun.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
And how the hunt system is currently used is not how they envisioned it to be like, but the community will always go towards the most efficient ways of getting rewards.

Which is exactly why they need to do something about it because it's impacting game balance.

Ken

Honestly, I think the foundation for this whole discussion is based on how much gear players and SE believe is needed to clear the current tier of Coil.

That is true, and it is definitely better this time around than during 2.1.

Well, I hope that in their solution to fixing Hunts they don't destroy what makes it fun.

Yeah CT1 was a bit of a misstep in aligning intention with release time so it's hard to gleam anything valuable from that. CT2 is a definite improvement and I'll be curious to see how feedback will be implemented in regards to CT3.

iammeiam

The problem with relic as a progression option is that from Atma on, it's pretty terrible content. It's not like you can push past Atma and get to the fun stuff--you push past Atma and your reward is a crapload of Animus books. Survive that and you get to do Novus which is both a grind and either expensive or amplified to be even more of a grind. Hunts are probably an example of why it has to be terrible--people cannot keep their shit together if loot can be had without suffering--but it's still not much fun.

Coil is both content that can be enjoyable, as I understand it, to do and a way to gear up. Relic is just a thing you endure to get to loot. Hunts were a misguided attempt to find balance. CT is better, but trying to add more options isn't terrible. They just need to not fail so badly at it.

Jayhawk

The main thing I do like about the introduction of hunts is that it actually gets players communicating more with players on their servers - positive or negative. Outside of hunts, you would often limit your gameplay and interaction within a small clique like your static and a few friends. People would barely communicate in Duty Finder or Party Finder groups. Hunts have people coordinating what zones to scout, rivals to look out for, etc.

The players being negative in shouts for hunts have always been there. They were the players being elitist in speed runs and harassing players for slowing them down. I prefer having their negativity in public, so their behavior becomes more well-known. Plus, the victim of the harassment will end up having some more support when there is a bigger group of people witnessing the harassment.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with relic as a progression option is that from Atma on, it's pretty terrible content. It's not like you can push past Atma and get to the fun stuff--you push past Atma and your reward is a crapload of Animus books. Survive that and you get to do Novus which is both a grind and either expensive or amplified to be even more of a grind. Hunts are probably an example of why it has to be terrible--people cannot keep their shit together if loot can be had without suffering--but it's still not much fun.

Coil is both content that can be enjoyable, as I understand it, to do and a way to gear up. Relic is just a thing you endure to get to loot. Hunts were a misguided attempt to find balance. CT is better, but trying to add more options isn't terrible. They just need to not fail so badly at it.

People wanted FFXI-style grinds and they got them.

Jayhawk

People wanted FFXI-style grinds and they got them.

If they wanted to keep people playing, they had to add grind content. Once people were done with their weekly content, there was no incentive to keep people playing the game if they were not interested in other classes or jobs.

I just bought this game on PS4 because I have too much time on my hands and was desperate for something to play on my console.

I like RPGs a lot, but was burned badly when I bought the special edition of the original FFXIV for PC at launch :(

Looking forward to playing with you guys :)

one thing I'd like to know is how is this game's sense of open world? Is it fun and wierd to explore like WoW or is it more just focused on refined gameplay loops within instanced areas?

zewone

Before the hunts, I would only log in once a day to do my Expert daily until I maxed Soldiery. The hunts have actually made me excited to play again.

Hasney

Before the hunts, I would only log in once a day to do my Expert daily until I maxed Soldiery. The hunts have actually made me excited to play again.

Since hunts and frontlines came out, I've maxed my weekly soldiery for the first time. Very fun ways to do it.

BLCKATK

Absolutely. The Hunt has brought a lot of good things to the game but it has definitely disrupted the 'calm' in the game that we were all used to. Now it's up to the FFXIV team to decide if this is how they want things to go from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom