• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Wander around like Eorzea like an idiot. Wonder why I'm doing this. In the middle of Thanalan. Decide to log out for the night. Log back in the morning. Find this:

ffxiv_07172014_1300254xeyt.jpg

Being a complete ditz worked in my favor!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People hunting be like

dog-running-kid-falling.gif

When I'm hunting, I be like

corgi-slide-2.gif

Thank you for the seals, it is time to leave.

IvorB

Added a new column to our FC's hunt tracking spreadsheet for the A ranks that determines the approximate time when the next spawn will be for a monster. I am using a 3 hour 30 minute respawn time for the calculation, since that seems to be about the average. I don't think I have seen a 2 hour respawn since we actually started tracking data.

What spreadsheet is this? Can I get in on it? :)

Hasney

Thanks! I already found it there.

What are the tips for the newbie hunter?

/shout OMW DON'T PULL YET
/shout IT'S DEAD?!? OMG U ****S

Get in a hunt LS and a party within that, or pick one up on Party Finder and go to the co-ords where they say there is a hunt

Ahaha, the Sarg one was so helpful last night, I knew it would never survive until morning :(

Yeah, got lots of A's and even a few S yesterday.

Never knew where it come from, some guy in my party was calling A's open times in every possible region.

Thanks! I already found it there.

What are the tips for the newbie hunter?

- Go WAR.

- When someone tries to "reset" the hunt, by moving it away from it's aggro area, use Holmgang.

- Proceed to laugh at people at i110 level people that resets only in their best interest and calls "early" pulling when their friend "train" isn't there.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Whatever glaring design flaws inherit to the hunt system, and there are a ton of em, I'd say tonight was the most fun I've had outside of coil in this game in a long long time. It's also the most interaction/playtime I've gotten with the FC as a whole ever. Hunting/patrolling areas, experimenting trying to get S ranks to pop, finally getting them to, then trying to survive them while not being able to see the mob half the time. The glitchy/brokeness of it's current state made it all the more intense. Of particular note is Safat(who we FINALLY got to spawn) where I was lone healer and people kept getting this nasty stacking 1m poison. Lots of esuna and medica spam and we still had people dying, was fun. The added HP has helped quite a bit, even when late I can often get full or near full credit on many mobs when in a full group. This was the first time I've done these late night hunts and I noticed while there is still a zerg, there are a lot more people willing to wait, even if for a brief period longer. This lowers the frustration factor considerably as there isn't as much warping to "dead" announcements.

I also got into a nice conversations with some non-GAF people who were defending us in shouts, and generally calling out the BS witchhunts that we have been subjected to. Someone asked earlier in the evening why were we even bothering to announce to people/wait anymore and I'd say that is good enough reason, people are dumb but they notice things eventually. I saw a lot of people calling out actual culprits rather than the scapegoats. There is hope.

S rank night too hype. (thought I did take several breaks) I've been busy on all the previous days following resets where the S rank action is, I am glad I got to be a part of it this time. Even got some logs at last.
Yeah I'm having tons of fun with the hunts even with the current issues and the GAF mudslinging that has come from it. Yesterday was just crazy with everyone trying to hunt down the S marks.

When I hear you talk about ppl investigating to get S ranks to pop, playing together to fight the S ranks, ppl waiting, is like I'm hearing some alternate world.

In Sarg, every method to pop S has been discovered, no experimientation needed, everyone shouts how to do it or there's one LS that already does the method by themselves, there's no team play: You need Esuna? Too bad, Healers are busy spaming Medica II so they got max reward. People dosn't wait, as long their party is there is fine, the zerg fest makes imposible most of the time to see S ranks and get more than 5 seals.

There's just bitterness, madness and rage.

Oh and runnin around, lot's of running around of pure boredrom.

Thanks goodness I'm out for a while of that. Got my sand and my Noct Lorica and forget about all this.

Definetly the worst content of the game so far.

It really makes no sense why there are mark bills for the elites when that crap's pointless (yeah, yeah, I'm late to discovering this). These really should just work like leves - make them an instance you can only engage in if you picked up the bill.

I don't know how anyone can find them fun at all as they are currently.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
When I hear you talk about ppl investigating to get S ranks to pop, playing together to fight the S ranks, ppl waiting, is like I'm hearing some alternate world.

In Sarg, every method to pop S has been discovered, no experimientation needed, everyone shouts how to do it or there's one LS that already does the method by themselves, there's no team play: You need Esuna? Too bad, Healers are busy spaming Medica II so they got max reward. People dosn't wait, as long their party is there is fine, the zerg fest makes imposible most of the time to see S ranks and get more than 5 seals.

There's just bitterness, madness and rage.

Oh and runnin around, lot's of running around of pure boredrom.

Thanks goodness I'm out for a while of that. Got my sand and my Noct Lorica and forget about all this.

Definetly the worst content of the game so far.

SE's silence is pretty irritating at this point.

iammeiam

It's pretty funny that the chicken nugget lightning rod nerf was so fast and thorough, while the hunt adjustments so far have been fairly ineffectual and pointless.

Wander around like Eorzea like an idiot. Wonder why I'm doing this. In the middle of Thanalan. Decide to log out for the night. Log back in the morning. Find this:

Being a complete ditz worked in my favor!

See this stumbling across the mob at random and calling in help is kind of cool. Not going to be terribly common in the current environment, but cool.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's pretty funny that the chicken nugget lightning rod nerf was so fast and thorough, while the hunt adjustments so far have been fairly ineffectual and pointless.

See this stumbling across the mob at random and calling in help is kind of cool. Not going to be terribly common in the current environment, but cool.

Titan-Egi was robbed. ;-;

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The concept of hunts is great, it's really the implementation and subsequent balancing that leaves so, so much to be desired.

I agree with others in that hunting can be really fun, but its negative impact on all areas of the game are indefensible.

While in my 17 years of MMO gaming experience I've never once seen devs take anyone's ideas and implement them to change or fix anything this is how I would do it:

Easy fix: Limit seals per week. Some have mentioned limiting the high end rewards per week but the same people would keep farming unabated just to get all the other stuff and for the sole reason of denying others.

Better but more complex fix:

Leave S Rank as is for the most part. The real problem(s) on these are the rendering problems and the predictable pop times allowing for a time monopolization.

Change A ranks to be force pop through items. Make the weekly hunt bills different for each character rather than the same for all. These bills can be used to spawn a party-limited A mark similar to guildleve mobs. Make other A Rank pop items drop from FATEs, treasure hunts, and other open world content. Allow use of an amount of guildleve allowances to purchase A Rank pop items.

Leave B Ranks as is but make more than one per zone. Add B Ranks to guildleves as they are sort of already in as the bounty monsters.

Increase the rewards for daily marks to be worth doing.

I think that would cover all the bases without making everyone abandon open world content.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It really makes no sense why there are mark bills for the elites when that crap's pointless (yeah, yeah, I'm late to discovering this). These really should just work like leves - make them an instance you can only engage in if you picked up the bill.

For me personally, half the fun is finding/getting to the mark before the horde does and making sure me and the rest of the people in our linkshell get credit before the mark explodes. Last night for example we had several groups all scouting, racing against the horde, and trying to make the S ranks spawn. The teamwork that took is where I got my fun from, not from blowing up a dumb oversized mob. Even when we didn't get there in time, I was still having fun cause the mad rush to the mark with the horde is hilarious to me.

I will say though that the mark bills are completely screwed up the way they're currently implemented. Dailies should be bumped up to reward a bonus 20 seals when you complete them all. While the billed elite mark should spit out a bonus 50 and be buffed up to an S+ lv at the start of the week so they can last longer against the horde and more people can get credit. As the week progresses it should lose power until the last day when it hits B lv power and to discourage the same people killing it over and over again it shouldn't spit out any seals or logs if you've already completed the bill.

Titan-Egi was robbed. ;-;
As a SMN i can't disagree

I think that instances would solve the problems BUT it would kill the reason why the made the hunts that way ..i think you need to drop the hunt system all together while this is reworked.

To be fair, and I'm sure it's the same for a majority of people; 90% of the time an S rank pops it's impossible to target people because everyone is getting culled. Medica is about all the healers can do.

When I have 3 WHM in my pt, I expect at least one of them, to navigate the party list and throw an esuna instead of letting me run like an idiot for 10 seconds from Terror.

Sophia

"Calling in help" in this case meant calling an entire linkshell and then some, as the person in that screenshot is owner of one of the biggest Hunt LSes on Adamantoise. But we're pretty good about it. I found it for example, so I got the right to tag it and nobody complained.

I was never been a fan of farming in Bray hard. I'd rather do a few roulettes every day than farm the same dungeon over and over. And now this was fixed, new dungeons are fun, they barely can get SR, but they have the right length.

At least you played the "game" in bray, 90% of time in hunts you're running around...

When I have 3 WHM in my pt, I expect at least one of them, to navigate the party list and throw an esuna instead of letting me run like an idiot for 10 seconds from Terror.

That's because unless you've talked about it before , each Healer in a big groupe should have role priorities.

If you have a SCH and a WHM it's easy to do , but when you have only SCH or only WHM , the healer need to talk and decide.

Who is focusing on healing the tanks ? Who is healing the dps ? ( in case you need to do both ).
WHo is treating party afflictions ? Who is prioritising groups heals ?
This stuff like that

Things is , if you don't talk about it , you are bound to find problems like this.
Esuna or leeches aren't bad, but 2 in a row is a waste , so people need to discuss.

Thing is , people don't discuss those things.
As a SCH i focus on healing the tanks and i left the rest of the party to a WHM.But that's just me. If i play with another SCh and he is already doing that i focus on the rest of the group

Again, it's not always possible in such a big crowd. When players get culled, we can't target you at all, no matter how hard we want to take that Terror off of you.

Taruranto

As an healer, I can tell you that most of the times I can't even see half of my party members during S ranks.

Be grateful they are spamming Medica II, at least you'll get healed regardless.

Edit: ninja'd by devious.one

That's because unless you've talked about it before , each Healer in a big groupe should have role priorities.

If you have a SCH and a WHM it's easy to do , but when you have only SCH or only WHM , the healer need to talk and decide.

Who is focusing on healing the tanks ? Who is healing the dps ? ( in case you need to do both ).
WHo is treating party afflictions ? Who is prioritising groups heals ?
This stuff like that

Things is , if you don't talk about it , you are bound to find problems like this.
Esuna or leeches aren't bad, but 2 in a row is a waste , so people need to discuss.

Thing is , people don't discuss those things.
As a SCH i focus on healing the tanks and i left the rest of the party to a WHM.But that's just me. If i play with another SCh and he is already doing that i focus on the rest of the group

Hunts is not really content you can't talk things. People wants their max reward, healers just spam their AoE heals, because is the easiet way to get max reward. They don't care about priorities or anything, which action will led me to get max seals? that's all in their mind. Is the easiest route and in the very few instances where some of the S ranks mechanics can be bothersome...well, they don't really care.

Hunts is not really content you can't talk things. People wants their max reward, healers just spam their AoE heals, because is the easiet way to get max reward. They don't care about priorities or anything, which action will led me to get max seals? that's all in their mind. Is the easiest route and in the very few instances where some of the S ranks mechanics can be bothersome...well, they don't really care.

They don't talk , they don't care ...for me it's the same things really ..
I understand what you mean , the hunts as they are now are not "teamwork" since everyone just want their reward and nothing else.

iammeiam

Claiming things you don't like are broken is.

I feel like it's impossible at this point to deny that the hunt system is broken--the entire daily/weekly mark thing is obviously messed-up, and they essentially emergency patched out the only viable solo content in it to try and adjust to player reaction. Also S-ranks literally do not function properly in the current environment. They don't display half the time due to system limitations. Broken.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun with it in its broken state, and maybe they'll leave it broken long-term, but this isn't a game system that is functioning anywhere near intended.

Non-hunt bitching: Seriously why doesn't Frontlines give GC seals? The hell? I'm going to battle for these people!

Who admitted what? I see radio silence and I'm loving it.

There's was already a fix and more to follow.

That's basically admitting there's something very wrong with it.

Of course we still waiting for YoshiP to appear and basically say the need to rework the damn thing.

I feel like it's impossible at this point to deny that the hunt system is broken--the entire daily/weekly mark thing is obviously messed-up, and they essentially emergency patched out the only viable solo content in it to try and adjust to player reaction. Also S-ranks literally do not function properly in the current environment. They don't display half the time due to system limitations. Broken.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun with it in its broken state, and maybe they'll leave it broken long-term, but this isn't a game system that is functioning anywhere near intended.

Non-hunt bitching: Seriously why doesn't Frontlines give GC seals? The hell? I'm going to battle for these people!

You know what they could give? Allied seals...maybe that way we shouldn't start battles with half the players in one or two teams...

If I have one negative thing to say about hunts, it's that it somehow became more important to do hunts than helping others in the FC with non-hunt activities. Seriously, you can't take 15-30 mins off from hunting to help someone complete a dungeon or trial? Especially when the queue wait times are now ridiculous? Hell, there were S hunts occurring while I was doing a dungeon yesterday, but I never left the damn thing (and I've never left the middle of a dungeon if Odin popped up).

Sorian

Banned
There's was already a fix and more to follow.

That's basically admitting there's something very wrong with it.

Of course we still waiting for YoshiP to appear and basically say the need to rework the damn thing.

What more to follow? Seriously, I'm not trolling or anything I've heard of nothing else to follow. They needed an HP buff so that they could survive for more than 1 second and we got that. No other issues. You can't patch out greed and trolls.

Just because you like it doesn't mean it doesn't have problems.

Having problems and being broken are different, and a blanket statement on content that many people are enjoying, along with wanting to change it in ways that would no longer be enjoyable to those people is "bitching".
I know the world's got problems, I've got problems of my own. Not the kind that can't be solved with an atom bomb

Devs basically admitted is broken.

Time to let it go.

Ni shagu nazad.

Those are very clear problems, but not the kind people seem interested in fixing. Applying the odin/behemoth priority deal to S ranks should have been something that they did right from the getgo. Something should also be done about the daily/weekly mark thing since they provide such a small reward. Imo make it so they too give a sand to make it worthwhile.
I kid.
Nether of these things make the base system of hunts broken though. I still think one of the best solutions would be to add more hunts. Bs should be all over the place so much that people wouldn't be losing their shit gathering people when they see one. Should be the cool nonstandard mob you can find. Making it so the system is caped, or another "use item to spawn boss" are terrible ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom