• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Now imagine if you could level from 1 - 50 only doing hunts. You really enjoy these false equivalence arguments relating the downsides of fates to hunts and vice versa, don't you?

If people could do so, they would. =)

The two activities are very similar. It's an activity that provides a way to skip a massive amount of content. You can skip levels or you can skip ilvls. I've already seen some very bad players the past couple of days who admitted they geared up quickly through The Hunt. YMMV. I don't care.

Perhaps you could enlighten me why Hunts aren't simply unmarked FATEs?

Hasney

Quick NOOB question...

Where do I get my soldiery weapons? I want to get the Weathered Laevateinn :p

Revenants Toll. Go north, hut on the right, girl on the left for the weapons, right for the armour. You need a shit-ton of soldiery for all the tokens to buy the weapon though, and a UAT.

If people could do so, they would. =)

The two activities are very similar. It's an activity that provides a way to skip a massive amount of content. You can skip levels or you can skip ilvls. I've already seen some very bad players the past couple of days who admitted they geared up quickly through The Hunt. YMMV. I don't care.

Perhaps you could enlighten me why Hunts aren't simply unmarked FATEs?

You oversimplify that last point. The fact that they aren't marked, and have more then just the same static spawn point is what defines them and makes them different then Fates. They aren't just a map marker you follow, or a spot you wait on to spawn. That combined with how the rewards they offer are actually good and worthwhile are the defining factors of them. This isn't enlightenment, it just isn't oversimplification for the sake of argument. If you don't enjoy them, that is fine, but a part of a game doesn't have to change just because some people don't enjoy it, especially when it is fully optional. I've never liked the fate system, or the duty finder system, and even when each of those were (and still are to an extent) the only way to get certain things done I didn't call them broken and expect the game to cater to only me.

Zalasta

Wait, do you not realize that people aren't getting high allagan gear from the hunts? They get an item that upgrades their gear sol tome gear to high allagan ilevel? You still have to buy the base gear with sol tomes that are caped every week.

Like he said, you are in no way addressing the question he asked.

Yes, but myth vs. allagan is not the same as (unweathered) soldier vs. high allagan. The problem lies in the extra step as someone had pointed out, the oil/sand that was previously only obtainable in Coil. So now you have Coil-only items available elsewhere, which is unprecedented and cannot be compared to the previous implementation. Furthermore, there is no limit (no lock out, no cap) placed on oil/sand through hunt and I think that is wher the sore spot is for many people.

If you don't enjoy them, that is fine, but a part of a game doesn't have to change just because some people don't enjoy it, especially when it is fully optional. I've never liked the fate system, or the duty finder system, and even when each of those were (and still are to an extent) the only way to get certain things done I didn't call them broken and expect the game to cater to only me.

You seem to ignore how hunt is negatively impacting the other systems in the game. It's not just about how good the reward is, it's the fact that people are utilizing it to the extreme at the detriment of all other contents. So the more people that participate in hunt and exclusively in hunt, the less population there is to do other things. FATE was definitely broken when it overshadowed everything else in the XP gain. It is the same here. It's not about enjoyment of it, it's how they affect everything else in the game.

Yes, but myth vs. allagan is not the same as (unweathered) soldier vs. high allagan. The problem lies in the extra step as someone had pointed out, the oil/sand that was previously only obtainable in Coil. So now you have Coil-only items available elsewhere, which is unprecedented and cannot be compared to the previous implementation. Furthermore, there is no limit (no lock out, no cap) placed on oil/sand through hunt and I think that is wher the sore spot is for many people.

The lockout is already there in the form of sol tomes. I still maintain that the only downside of this system is that it didn't launch along side coil2 and sol tomes to make it so that you could always get the same ilvl as the raid gear without raiding. The way they added sands to hunts fixed the mistake of needing that extra step in the first place.

Have three primal weapons for the same job (all from primal hard modes). Should I just dump the two with the lowest ilvls? They're taking up space in my retainer's inventory

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You oversimplify that last point. The fact that they aren't marked, and have more then just the same static spawn point is what defines them and makes them different then Fates. They aren't just a map marker you follow, or a spot you wait on to spawn. That combined with how the rewards they offer are actually good and worthwhile are the defining factors of them. This isn't enlightenment, it just isn't oversimplification for the sake of argument. If you don't enjoy them, that is fine, but a part of a game doesn't have to change just because some people don't enjoy it, especially when it is fully optional. I've never liked the fate system, or the duty finder system, and even when each of those were (and still are to an extent) the only way to get certain things done I didn't call them broken and expect the game to cater to only me.

It isn't oversimplifying in my book. There are so many players doing this right now that spawns are found immediately. Everyone waits to zerg it down. Then they move on. Spreadsheets have been made and marks found with increasing precision. In a week. S Ranks has already had their spawns and forced spawn methods figured out and noted. They offer no challenge. They offer no resistance. They offer all of the rewards.

It's brain dead content that had potential to be awesome and interesting. If you enjoy it, which you obviously do, that's great. I'm not judging you. We disagree. That said, I will always think that in its current form, The Hunt is sloppy, lazy and pathetic content that is just a rehash of something they tried to curb once before, but eventually just shrugged their shoulders about and used as a crutch (FATEs). So, of course its also the quickest, fastest way to gear up in almost every possible way for almost every job.

Zalasta

The lockout is already there in the form of sol tomes. I still maintain that the only downside of this system is that it didn't launch along side coil2 and sol tomes to make it so that you could always get the same ilvl as the raid gear without raiding. The way they added sands to hunts fixed the mistake of needing that extra step in the first place.

I am not going to argue for or against the oil/sand idea in the first place, but you are willfully ignoring the fact that those items were previously and still are locked behind the weekly clear for coil. The extra step is much harder for a coil raider vs. a hunting casual now. That is where the problem lies.

Zalasta

Have three primal weapons for the same job (all from primal hard modes). Should I just dump the two with the lowest ilvls? They're taking up space in my retainer's inventory

If you intend to level your desynthesis at all, you should keep them because they can be desynthesized for rare materials. Otherwise there would be no reason to hold on to them.

Tabris

Oh also, to certain people here whom are in my static. I've decided to go ahead and get my UAT out of CT2 this week. So a certain singing Paladin can go ahead and get/use their UAT next week, for their monk.

No no don't. Please don't.

1) Waste of a CT2 lot
2) I don't need mine for 3 weeks due to 1300 soldiery requirement. So I'll get my UAT in 2 weeks.
3) Don't feel bad, you're now pimped and that's a good thing for our group!

Tabris

So with maintenance, are S ranks now available? I assume a bunch are already killed then? I have to work for next 4hrs at minimum

dcye

For me its not so much the people have the same ilvl its more the speed at which they have been full decked out in it.

I have only just last week finished getting full i110 on my paladin and i have not missed a single week of second coil sine it was released.

This is a player who has been raiding non stop every week in an FC which has world top 10 on Second Coil turn 4 since day one. I only got my second sand of time like 3 weeks ago.....

I guess that makes a lot of sense, I never really thought about it from a tanks perspective. In practice any random can be almost closer to BIS as a PLD than any of you who pushed coil for weeks at a time just because PLD BiS requires so much Sand. Should roll one of your other 8 classes for 2.3 :p.

dcye

How was it not addressed? Part of 2nd paragraph was a response to your question. Myth and Allagan gears are separate, just because they are the same ilevel, it does not take away raider's accomplishments because you can't get Allagan anywhere else. You either do coil, or you go after Myth. It has always been known that comparable endgame gears are available to everyone, it's a standard in MMO. Back then there was also limits, raiders have lock out, casuals have caps. Everyone has to put in the time.

Re-read my posts dude. This is the exact point I am making. You're completely missing it. I'm saying that I don't understand the outrage from a lot of endgame raiders because its not like the scrubs doing hunts 20 hours a day are taking away their accomplishments, their world top tens and hours of work. That's why I compared it to the Allagan/Myth situation.

Jayhawk

For people saying that everything has been figured out regarding hunts, I would guess that only a handful of people in the hunt LS actually know about the spawn conditions and respawn timers. Plus, the S rank in Central Thanalan still has not spawned on Ultros.

orion434

DET > CRIT for MNK and pretty much every dps job in this game

The thing about melding is that a Savage Might IV will give +6 Determination vs Savage Aim IV's +9 Critical Hit Rate. If I could Penta-meld all of one stat which would be better?

+45 Critical Hit Rate or +30 Determination?

So what it's still equal with with how it was pre2.2 except with a higher level. Honestly did all this complaining(I'm not gonna use the b word this time) go around pre2.2 about casuals being able to get i90 gear. the only difference is that they just had it them i90 out the bat and didn't have it i80 with a coil item to make it i90. Should of been more complaining back then as oppose to right now cause they at least had a barrier inbetween casuals and HC raiders even if it was just for a patch

Tabris

I guess that makes a lot of sense, I never really thought about it from a tanks perspective. In practice any random can be almost closer to BIS as a PLD than any of you who pushed coil for weeks at a time just because PLD BiS requires so much Sand. Should roll one of your other 8 classes for 2.3 :p.

Opposite actually. PLD BiS requires 3 sands only (Body, Belt, and Legs).

Jayhawk

The thing about melding is that a Savage Might IV will give +6 Determination vs Savage Aim IV's +9 Critical Hit Rate. If I could Penta-meld all of one stat which would be better?

+45 Critical Hit Rate or +30 Determination?

For BRD? Current stat weightings from the community favor the 45 crit. Spine of the Vortex bow is one with skill speed. You should have made another bow!

IvorB

Yup, been that way with each maintenance reset. Fortunatley, that means I can hunt when I wake up in the morning GMT Saturday and see if we can't get some S ranks like I did last time. Mwahahaha.

Yeah gonna jump on tomorrow during the day and beat the North America rush. I really want in on this hunt thing, man. But it occurs to me that all I will get is sands of time which is entirely useless to me right now. Do we get soldiery for hunts also?

Hasney

Yeah gonna jump on tomorrow during the day and beat the North America rush. I really want in on this hunt thing, man. But it occurs to me that all I will get is sands of time which is entirely useless to me right now. Do we get soldiery for hunts also?

You get Soldiery, Myth and Seals. Seals can be used towards Sands, Oil and Alex which is also awesome. There's also a minion and a Ultima Weapon minature for a desk in housing/personal room!

You may as well stock up on sands and alex while you can as it will stop some of the grind later on.

aceface

Yeah get on a good run of hunts and you can cap soldiery in a day.

The past two days, my experience with hunts has been like this : 10 A's in a row, nothing for two-three hours, 10 A's in a row, nothing for three hours, etc. It's good if you can ride the A wave but if you miss those and are on in the time in between you are boned.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ramuh weapons should be i105 perhaps or maybe make the accessories i110.

Some of the Ramuh weapons are pretty good, even at i100. The bow for example is super good with crit/determ. Some of the rings are pretty good too, like the slaying and healing ones.

Hasney

Yup, been hunting when it's quiet as I can't be arsed with the zerg rushes and then Frontlines after and the cap is easy by the end of the day.

Basically my after work grind involves getting a book done, trials roulette, dailies, Frontlines and then have enough myth to buy my next book. Pretty productive evenings.

IvorB

You get Soldiery, Myth and Seals. Seals can be used towards Sands, Oil and Alex which is also awesome. There's also a minion and a Ultima Weapon minature for a desk in housing/personal room!

You may as well stock up on sands and alex while you can as it will stop some of the grind later on.

Wow. To cap soldiery, that just seems like a distant dream.

iammeiam

Have casual/S-rank-only hunt linkshells started popping up yet? 0 interest in hunting 99% of the time, so there's no point in trying to occupy a spot in to a dedicated LS, but if something big pops or becomes poppable with effort during the quiet hours it might be nice to know/help spawn it since queue times continue to suck for me.

Go to iLevel 91. Everyone arguing and here I am just enjoying the goddamned game. Also got Scylias Casting Boots so... w00t.

Feel ready to tackle a few challenges now. Will do all the EX Primals and start working on the coils even though I have no interest in a static group. Too time consuming. Will also forego Atmas until it gets better, right now I am wasting hours on that. Haven't gotten ONE. Screw that :p

I'm in the exact same boat as you, even the same iLvl, although I am doing Atma.

Anyone on GAF in a hunting LS on Sargatanas?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Its not about the gear lvl, that doesn't matter at all don't get me wrong.

I'm not even a HC raider but its somewhat strange that SE made it so easy for people too obtain alot of stuff that was originally for the raiders that put time into learning tactics wiping etc.

Now you just need alot of time, a good hunting party en some luck with CT2 UA drop.

I don't mind that stuff being in CT (because it gives people a reason to do CT) or even purchased from seals but there still needs to be a limit from the hunts. People with 5+ sands from hunts already will be the ones crying about there being nothing to do in a month so get ready.

I don't mind that stuff being in CT (because it gives people a reason to do CT) or even purchased from seals but there still needs to be a limit from the hunts. People with 5+ sands from hunts already will be the ones crying about there being nothing to do in a month so get ready.

How do you even get a sand from hunts? I see no option to purchase them from the dude at my GC.

Zalasta

Re-read my posts dude. This is the exact point I am making. You're completely missing it. I'm saying that I don't understand the outrage from a lot of endgame raiders because its not like the scrubs doing hunts 20 hours a day are taking away their accomplishments, their world top tens and hours of work. That's why I compared it to the Allagan/Myth situation.

Because it's not simply about accomplishments, it's mostly the ease of attainment of the same exact item (which your allagan/myth example doesn't really compare). Let me boil it down simply to a very specific situation. A person has only enough time in the week to log on and do coil with his static. Depending how far they get, he gets at most 2 chances at oil and 2 chances at sand, which he has to roll against 7 other people (but let's face it, at best the average group has only clear up to T8, so that's 1 and 1 on oil/sand). Now compare to someone else who only does hunt, he is guaranteed his own oil/sand and could possibly obtain more in the same week. So given everything else is equal (both players having to deal w/ the soldier cap), why does a raider-only has to be limited with a weekly lockout and rolling against other people when a non-raider gets it much easier?

As for people that already have their gear, well, I guess they are sore that it took them a lot more time and luck? I don't necessarily hold this view, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to ignore the disparity between the two methods.

IvorB

Capping soldiery is easy! Just doing an ex roulette every day will get you there.

I can't play everyday and I don't have expert unlocked (gonna do that this weekend). What little soldiery I have has trickled in so painfully slowly. I have about 300 now after collecting for weeks. Now you talk about capping in one day. Unbelievable.

Hasney

I can't play everyday and I don't have expert unlocked (gonna do that this weekend). What little soldiery I have has trickled in so painfully slowly. I have about 300 now after collecting for weeks. Now you talk about capping in one day. Unbelievable.

I was in the same boat. I managed to cap it in 2 days after 2,3 doing purely Frontlines & dailies. Frontlines probably gives you the most bang for your soldiery buck as you get a nice chunk for only 20 minutes work, win or lose and there's usually minimal queuing.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Reported some tank for pulling a huge chain in Hullbreaker just so he could die and begged us to kick him because he didn't want to take the penalty. GM responded to that pretty quick, I was surprised.

IvorB

I was in the same boat. I managed to cap it in 2 days after 2,3 doing purely Frontlines & dailies. Frontlines probably gives you the most bang for your soldiery buck as you get a nice chunk for only 20 minutes work, win or lose and there's usual minimum queuing.

Sweet. Maybe I'll check out frontlines too this weekend. The myth reward looks good also. Can I just use my character as is or are there a bunch of PVP specific skills I'll need to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom