• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT5| All You Need is Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Or you could sell them when they're first really expensive, and then start keeping them for yourself once the prices have plummeted.

True.

Most people haven't even hit Rank 10 on their Chocobro's just yet, so a lot of people wouldn't need them, at least initially. Anyone in that position is going to have all the incentive in the world to sell them, especially since most the people at Rank 10 are probably hard-cores with at least some gil to burn.

Kenai

Uh, in a super casual game like this and a companion meant to help everyone, the design decision is very strange. Granted, you will probably be able to have a stable with Personal Housing making this moot...but who knows if they will ever get to Personal Housing. They are dragging their shit on that.

Personally housing is still slated for 2.38 so it's not that far away. As long as they can account for the instancing influx it should be fine (although I'm sure there will still be bugs come launch). Flower pots would be nice in the meantime tho, especially since they had that way back in FF11.

I apologize for voting for Limsa in the FC vote.

Mists is garbage. Goblet is the best.

They had to update the zone to make it not suck. Hindsight is 20/20

chrono01

8PM Pacific time = 11PM EDT. We'd still be okay :0.
That's true!

For some reason I was stuck on EDT, despite being on MDT personally. I guess my constant days of hearing the EDT raid-times have ruined me!

I'm sure it will not come to Monday, though. We should have it real soon.

...Damn it, there I go again with the positive-thinking.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
They had to update the zone to make it not suck. Hindsight is 20/20
I wasn't aware they changed it at any point. That's funny.
Truth all over this post.
Never been to Grid so I can't comment on that, but the Goblet is awesome. Mists is a maze of stairs with a beach out front. The Goblet has a centralized area and little water pools you can walk though. It's a neat area all around.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, game is in sale for 20euros on PSN for PS3 but afaik you can still uograde to PS4 for free.

What I was wondering is:
If I start right now, this late in the game's life, have NEVER really played an MMO, will I find any gaffers willing to play the game with me?

I don't want to be forced to play the game solo :/
But I understand that being a lev1 newb might be a tough sell to find people to share the experience, I also don't have IRL friends whom I might be able to bring in (I'm an adult, my fiancée plays only couch-multi games with me and 99% of my friends don't play games unless it's FIFA/PES, ugh)... don't wanna waste time, HD space and money so I'm all ears, what should I do, give up on the idea altogether?

Tomat

Hey guys, game is in sale for 20euros on PSN for PS3 but afaik you can still uograde to PS4 for free.

What I was wondering is:
If I start right now, this late in the game's life, have NEVER really played an MMO, will I find any gaffers willing to play the game with me?

But I understand that being a lev1 newb might be a tough sell to find people to share the experience, I also don't have IRL friends whom I might be able to bring in (I'm an adult, my fiancée plays only couch-multi games with me and 99% of my friends don't play games unless it's FIFA/PES, ugh)... don't wanna waste time, HD space and money so I'm all ears, what should I do, give up on the idea altogether?

It's worth trying at that price for the first 30 days I think. One character gets to be every class, so people are leveling secondary classes all the time. Content scales as well, so a level 50 character can still do low level dungeons. GAF is a huge FC, so make sure you get in there and ask for help if you need it and I'm sure you'll find someone to play with.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Personally housing is still slated for 2.38 so it's not that far away. As long as they can account for the instancing influx it should be fine (although I'm sure there will still be bugs come launch). Flower pots would be nice in the meantime tho, especially since they had that way back in FF11.

Personal housing is a myth. Like DX11. I'll believe it when I see it. =)

chrono01

Regarding housing, I'm really tempted to purchase a room at our FC after the patch is live. I'm not exactly rolling in Gil, and personal housing itself is probably relatively close, but I kind of want a room to myself now that I can decorate and such, and it would be nice to have a room closer to our estate [so I can permanently stay there]. Assuming I don't get [forcibly] removed after I purchase it! Speaking of, have they ever said what would happen if you were removed from the guild after purchasing a room? I'm assuming that it will be a "feature" that's unlocked after you purchase it, so you can go to another FC [if needed] and the room option would be there waiting for you. Not that I have any intention of ever leaving GAF, though. I'm sorry to say, but you're all stuck with me.

Forever.

Oh, the spare room in the FC is 300,000 Gil, right? That should be doable, although I still need to be careful in my Gil-spending.

What I was wondering is:

A healthy MMO has constant influx of new players, not nearly as many as at launch but I saw low level unguilded people all the time while I was FATE grinding for atmas. There are plenty of veteran players leveling up alts and other jobs all the time too.

WolvenOne

I too and probably going to buy a room in addition to personal housing. My personal house is likely to be located in some other region, so it'll be nice to have something closer to the FC.

Basically, my personal housing is going to be treated like a vacation home. XD

Regarding housing, I'm really tempted to purchase a room at our FC after the patch is live. I'm not exactly rolling in Gil, and personal housing itself is probably relatively close, but I kind of want a room to myself now that I can decorate and such, and it would be nice to have a room closer to our estate [so I can permanently stay there]. Assuming I don't get [forcibly] removed after I purchase it! Speaking of, have they ever said what would happen if you were removed from the guild after purchasing a room? I'm assuming that it will be a "feature" that's unlocked after you purchase it, so you can go to another FC [if needed] and the room option would be there waiting for you. Not that I have any intention of ever leaving GAF, though. I'm sorry to say, but you're all stuck with me.

Forever.

Oh, the spare room in the FC is 300,000 Gil, right? That should be doable, although I still need to be careful in my Gil-spending.

Oh I thought personal housing had been turned into getting your own room. I'm glad that's not the case, but it makes me wonder if I want to bother with a room or just wait to get my own house.

Having my own place would be pretty sweet. I bet it'll be expensive though.

Frazley

I'm giddy today! Just got my soundtracks and my time card! So a bunch of items unlocked for me! :D

Do you get anything on Steam for using your Steam wallet to pay? After buying the Steam version on sale I now see the option to pay using Steam Wallet. Sad Steam Wallet is confined to Standard level.

Some of the stuff about how long things take, I know it's frustrating. Some of it is put here to keep us coming back and to give us the sense of long term gratification.

I too and probably going to buy a room in addition to personal housing. My personal house is likely to be located in some other region, so it'll be nice to have something closer to the FC.

Basically, my personal housing is going to be treated like a vacation home. XD

Same, I like Limsa, but Goblet is near my home town. I feel bad after going with Maelstrom instead of Flame for GC.

dramatis

Forever.

Look, the obvious answer to your gil woes is asking Kawazi to hand over a million or two.

With regards to the FC room, there hasn't been much said about whether people can simply move the room from 1 FC to another.

Look, the obvious answer to your gil woes is asking Kawazi to hand over a million or two.

With regards to the FC room, there hasn't been much said about whether people can simply move the room from 1 FC to another.

There are people posting in the official forums wondering if you can kick people with rooms from the FC. If not, there's going to be a lot of awful trolling going on.

Dunan

What I was wondering is:

All the more reason to play with other GAFfers. I too had never played an MMO before this one. All the new concepts, unexpectedly-changed RPG mechanics, and particularly the MMO jargon would have been too much to bear had I not been in our FC ("free company").

As others have mentioned, lots of people want to raise alternate classes/jobs, and there are enough available that you might well be able to find people willing to start new classes just to help newcomers make progress. (I'd gladly do so if I ever decide to try learning the tank role.)

You're going to have a lot of fun; don't sweat it. And don't hesitate to ask questions when the lingo and abbreviations get to be too much!

Could anyone point me to a guide of CT that is representative of strategies that are used today? There seems to be some discrepancies between a few guide.

Ken

What I was wondering is:

yeah of course. people are usually helpful in the GAF FC on ultros

i mean, i probably won't play with you but there's so many others who will!

Lol, Square couldn't possibly be that stupid, right?

Remember when CT1 came out and it didn't have a way to queue as a premade alliance without having to go through hoops? That's finally being fixed for CT2 6 months later....oh wait nevermind, that's still at least a month out from release since it's not coming in 2.3.

The phrase "Square gonna Square" wasn't just created because the higher ups make derpy decisions....it's there because everyone does for every game they've made in the last 10 or so years.

Kenai

Nope, had no idea.

It was like slums. You think Mists is narrow? You couldn't see where you were going because the streets were so tiny and the walls so high, and unlike Mists the entire area was flat so it was like a maze. Uldah's region has some of my favorite music in the game (night music <3) so going in there was super disappointing the first time I did.

I thought you're able to restrict who enters your room...?

Yes. I'm not sure it it's like...flag certain people, or maybe only people in your FL or whatever, but yea.

Oh I thought personal housing had been turned into getting your own room. I'm glad that's not the case, but it makes me wonder if I want to bother with a room or just wait to get my own house.

They were debating doing it at the same time but pushed it back. I'm 99% sure it's because they want to continue to do stress testing on the instancing since that's been a problem for a while now. Since a FC room is more similar to an inn room than a house would be and they already have inn rooms this is probably the go-between.

They mentioned a price around "850k or more" for a house but didn't going into specifics on sizes or size/price correlation.

chrono01

Yeah, personal housing will likely be a nice chunk of Gil. I might just stay with my FC room until later, despite needing/wanting a place in Ul'dah [superior location, IMO.]

Unless a bunch of Gill falls into my lap, personal housing will likely be a while. But, let's face it, it will be a while anyway, considering it likely won't make it into the game for a decent amount of time.

I'm not so sure I would want to trust my loan to someone who doesn't yet have an avatar on the GAF guildworks site. It seems kind of shady, IMO.

There are people posting in the official forums wondering if you can kick people with rooms from the FC. If not, there's going to be a lot of awful trolling going on.
Yeah, if they make it unable to kick someone in the FC if they have a room, there's going to be a lot of trolling for sure. The only thing I can think of is that, as I mentioned earlier, when someone purchases a room, it can be used in any/all FC's. That way, if the guild leader has no choice but to forcibly remove someone from the guild, that booted player still has access to a FC room, but not in that particular guild. All of their belongings and such will remain, since they're stored on their retainer. Of course in-room items will need to be replaced, since that's with the Free Company.

I know they said that a player can't be removed if they have items in an FC room, but if that's true, I can see a lot of "griefing" from discontented players.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

What I was wondering is:

Join us in the Ultros server. We'll help you :D. I think there's space.

Remember when CT originally was released and they didn't have any restrictions on the new Ready Check feature so people spammed it all the time during the boss fights?

Yeah.

Lol, no I didn't know that. I wasn't playing yet when CT was released (or if I was, I was nowhere near unlocking it).

Could anyone point me to a guide of CT that is representative of strategies that are used today? There seems to be some discrepancies between a few guide.

This is my main gripe with reading guides before playing something. It's hard to get up to date stuff. The strategy I read for Turn 1, was useless and in the end it was worse for me, because instead of asking I thought I knew how to do it. On the first boss, no one kills the adds anymore, no one kills the thrash mobs, and the slimes are largely overlooked in the final boss. No guide I found mentioned that.

It's probably better to just ask the people playing with you.

Cmagus

You pay for it then. I'm not contributing to any more pyramid schemes.
Easy now it was just a joke lol. That would be the dumbest idea and way too much work.

I'm not even gonna bother with personal chocobos till personal housing I mean I have one now that works just fine.

iammeiam

Operation Level LTW To Make Gear For Miner somehow turned into me spending a couple of Engineering Manual IIs spamming quick-synth of Iron and Steel Ingots as a BSM.

Crafting is a dangerous pit of interconnected time-thievery.

(and, I know, for jerks. But I'm a jerk. So it's okay!)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It's worth trying at that price for the first 30 days I think. One character gets to be every class, so people are leveling secondary classes all the time. Content scales as well, so a level 50 character can still do low level dungeons. GAF is a huge FC, so make sure you get in there and ask for help if you need it and I'm sure you'll find someone to play with.

A healthy MMO has constant influx of new players, not nearly as many as at launch but I saw low level unguilded people all the time while I was FATE grinding for atmas. There are plenty of veteran players leveling up alts and other jobs all the time too.

Thanks to both of you, appreciated it!

All the more reason to play with other GAFfers. I too had never played an MMO before this one. All the new concepts, unexpectedly-changed RPG mechanics, and particularly the MMO jargon would have been too much to bear had I not been in our FC ("free company").

As others have mentioned, lots of people want to raise alternate classes/jobs, and there are enough available that you might well be able to find people willing to start new classes just to help newcomers make progress. (I'd gladly do so if I ever decide to try learning the tank role.)

You're going to have a lot of fun; don't sweat it. And don't hesitate to ask questions when the lingo and abbreviations get to be too much!

Cool, you've definitely sold me on it :)

yeah of course. people are usually helpful in the GAF FC on ultros

i mean, i probably won't play with you but there's so many others who will!

lol fair enough

Join us in the Ultros server. We'll help you :D. I think there's space.

Well, then it looks like I'm pulling the trigger. Anything else I should know besides choosing Ultros for my character? What this FC you guys mentioned? What's a simple yet fun class to start with? I usually don't really like ranged-heavy classes.

BadRNG

Turn 1 is really the only Turn that has changed dramatically because of the Echo Buff.
What? People were doing no feed well before echo, and frankly dps/heal/tank check wise Turn 1 is nothing compared to what happened to Turn 4 and 5 due to echo.

IvorB

You should be able to train up your current.

Awesome.

So umm, I just had the worst experience so far in this game, regular Garuda kicked our asses and I feel terrible about it, the tank kept saying HEAL!!! and I wasnt able to keep up with it, awww maybe I should persue another/less stressful class lol

Garuda normal mode is no joke. The second time I tried to take her on one of the players rage quit and told the healer they healed like a rock. It was pretty harsh. That attempt was ultimately fruitless. And Titan and Ifrit on normal are such pushovers that it can come as a real shock to people.

Tomat

So umm, I just had the worst experience so far in this game, regular Garuda kicked our asses and I feel terrible about it, the tank kept saying HEAL!!! and I wasnt able to keep up with it, awww maybe I should persue another/less stressful class lol

Pretty much had the same experience the first time I did Garuda, minus the tank giving me shit. I got us killed twice due to bad healing though. Between that and watching people drop in the Cape Westwind trial, I am a broken healer right now.

Carbonox

I'm losing my rag here - my inventory and retainer inventory are filling up ridiculously fast with pretty much nothing else but food and crafting materials. What do I do with the food seeing as I never use them? Crafting is something I'm going to research in to and I have all these materia's from converting old weapons/armor which I see can give my stuff nice benefits but I'll need to also research in to that.

Any recommendations? I see I can only sell 20 items at a time with my retainer which isn't great.

Running out of space quick though so any tips would be great. Primarily on the food and crafting stuff though as they make 90% of my space. :p

Ken

I'm losing my rag here - my inventory and retainer inventory are filling up ridiculously fast with pretty much nothing else but food and crafting materials. What do I do with the food seeing as I never use them? Crafting is something I'm going to research in to and I have all these materia's from converting old weapons/armor which I see can give my stuff nice benefits but I'll need to also research in to that.

Any recommendations? I see I can only sell 20 items at a time with my retainer which isn't great.

Running out of space quick though so any tips would be great. Primarily on the food and crafting stuff though as they make 90% of my space. :p

get rid of everything but gear and bikinis

did you get your second free retainer? if you did you could always buy more retainers for real money :>

What I was wondering is:

I think you will find people who are also new, and as far as finding people who are experienced and will help my experience (with GAF especially) has been positive so far. I also just started playing a week or so ago, and MMOs aren't usually my thing.

On another note, thanks to people in the FC for being so friendly :D

Just keep hq items...and anything like cotton cloth and yarn can be sold since you can buy it easily from vendors. If it's buyable via vendors, sell it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom