• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zomba13

Still learning SMN, and remaining really confused about how to deal with short-lived targets out of Bane's range that need to go down very quickly, like spears in WPHM (occasionally) or Astrea in KotL. I'm not sure if there's enough time to dot and Fester targets like those, and in the case of spears, they can sometimes come out before I can get Aetherflow stacks back if the boss is getting DPSed fast enough to throw them out in succession. Is some combination of Bio/Ruin 2/auto-attacks/Energy Drain/pet the way to go here? People seem to recommend Energy Drain and Ruin 2 a lot, but it rarely feels like it's quite enough, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's because of the other DPS ignoring the target. I'm leaning towards blaming myself since I'm still new at this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not really a great SMN but I usually make Garuda attack the target, throw up a bio and miasma 2, spam Ruin 2 a bit and/or energy drain. That way you've got some quick instant DoTs up, your pet is attacking it (can also use it's cooldown attacks) and you're using ruin 2/ energy drain for damage.

I dunno if the damage is better to get all three dots up and then fester then ruin 2/energy drain or not. It's hard to tell sometimes how quick the add is going to go down and if it'll be worth it putting all the dots on.

VoidVR

Banned
So.. I'm considering picking this game up. I have lots of MMO experience and used to raid hardcore for many years in the past in WoW and other games, but don't have the time to do that anymore, so I'll be going casual this time and have a few questions.

What's the leveling experience like for a solo player? Are people patient in the lower dungeons with newcomers or is it rush rush rush? Are there any alternative things to do at max level besides raiding? Any recommendations on EU servers and maybe guilds (or whatever they're called here) that take in newbies and casual people?

What's the leveling experience like for a solo player? Are people patient in the lower dungeons with newcomers or is it rush rush rush? Are there any alternative things to do at max level besides raiding? Any recommendations on EU servers and maybe guilds (or whatever they're called here) that take in newbies and casual people?

In lower level dungeons, it's kind of a crapshoot. You can't really rush that much because level sync prevents you from outgearing them much, though there are optional parts and skippable packs if you're in the know. You'll get a combination of lower-level players and end-game players doing low-level roulette for tokens, and the latter may be a little more impatient. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it, since I think every game is going to have people like that.

If you're new, then outside of raiding (Coil) at max level you have:
- the next arc of the main story line after you hit 50 and finish the levelling-up story (this also unlocks dungeons and bosses as you make your way through it)
- level 50 dungeons (there's a lot of them) and casual 24-man raids (Crystal Tower), grinding for tokens to get better gear
- boss-only instances for horses and other trinkets (Primals)
- levelling up other classes (you can switch to any class very easily on a single character)

Other things to do:
- crafting and gathering, which are pretty huge and time-consuming
- fishing, which will permanently scar your soul
- standing around hub towns looking pretty

Can't really advise on EU servers, I'm afraid.

Wilsongt

I'm not really a great SMN but I usually make Garuda attack the target, throw up a bio and miasma 2, spam Ruin 2 a bit and/or energy drain. That way you've got some quick instant DoTs up, your pet is attacking it (can also use it's cooldown attacks) and you're using ruin 2/ energy drain for damage.

I dunno if the damage is better to get all three dots up and then fester then ruin 2/energy drain or not. It's hard to tell sometimes how quick the add is going to go down and if it'll be worth it putting all the dots on.

Even with the MP reduction, there really isn't a reason to spam Ruin II over Ruin unless you're actively moving.

Even with the MP reduction, there really isn't a reason to spam Ruin II over Ruin unless you're actively moving.

I see. I did most of my Arcanist levelling via SCH easy-mode low-level roulettes without doing much to learn the ins and outs, so I'm doing a ton of catch-up now. I thought Ruin 2 would be better to avoid losing auto-attacks during the casting time, but it did feel very awkward to spam it rather than just using it to weave oGCDs or mitigate movement.

Valor

Still learning SMN, and remaining really confused about how to deal with short-lived targets out of Bane's range that need to go down very quickly, like spears in WPHM (occasionally) or Astrea in KotL. I'm not sure if there's enough time to dot and Fester targets like those, and in the case of spears, they can sometimes come out before I can get Aetherflow stacks back if the boss is getting DPSed fast enough to throw them out in succession. Is some combination of Bio/Ruin 2/auto-attacks/Energy Drain/pet the way to go here? People seem to recommend Energy Drain and Ruin 2 a lot, but it rarely feels like it's quite enough, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's because of the other DPS ignoring the target. I'm leaning towards blaming myself since I'm still new at this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shit SMN here with my expert advise:

I guess it depends on what encounter you're talking about. The best way to figure out whether or not to dot it versus life lived is to calculate the potency of the cast based on how many ticks you're liable to get on it. I'm sure this applies to summoner as well. For example, a full cast of Bio II effectively has the potency of 350 versus a ruin cast of 80. For burst damage it seems like it's pretty prudent, I think, to drop all three dots and fester, since you're looking for a quick burst of damage and it should take around 6 seconds to get to a fester accounting for 2.5 second cast times for Bio II and Miasma. Bio is instant and Fester is off-gcd (I think?) so you can drop those back to back. Fester is a quick 300 potency attack if you have all three status' up, so it's a decent burst attack, but once Fester is spent you're left to dot ticks and ruin, plus you'll have blown an aetherflow stack on something you might not have needed to blow it on? I dunno.

Other than that, if the enemy is living about 18 seconds, I think it may be most prudent to just drop Bio and spam with Ruins. In theory it looks like the potency would be 240 for a full 18 second tick of Bio (versus 210 for Bio II/Miasma) and around 640 potency worth of attacks from Ruin cast. (Assuming around 8 of those in an 18 second window)

Don't use Ruin II, because the mp cost is way more and you're still waiting on GCD cooldown for the same potency as Ruin. Alternatively, perhaps a Rouse/whatever for the pet with Enkindle? That would be a decent way to spike damage as well.

Again, I'm a Bard/Ninja/Bard again and not a SMN, so who knows what I'm talking about.

Grisby

At about lvl28 now with my conjurer and had my first party member die in a dungeon
(the one where your trying to save the little elder sprite from that spider)
, :(

Man, when poison starts flying all over the place it gets real difficult to keep everyone alive. My main problem is the controller and targeting specific peeps. I've been using the touch pad to try and target guys but it can get messy when they're standing so close to the enemy.

Also ran out of mana too for the first time in a dungeon. Chugging ethers doesn't help too much since they restore such a low rate. Guess I should look into alchemy to make better ones or just buy them since I have like, 40,000 gil at this point.

dramatis

At about lvl28 now with my conjurer and had my first party member die in a dungeon
(the one where your trying to save the little elder sprite from that spider)
, :(

Man, when poison starts flying all over the place it gets real difficult to keep everyone alive. My main problem is the controller and targeting specific peeps. I've been using the touch pad to try and target guys but it can get messy when they're standing so close to the enemy.

Also ran out of mana too for the first time in a dungeon. Chugging ethers doesn't help too much since they restore such a low rate. Guess I should look into alchemy to make better ones or just buy them since I have like, 40,000 gil at this point.
Up and Down on the Dpad moves solely through your Party Members. You don't even have to set up a Target Filter for that. For Enemies or Objects/NPCs, it might be prudent to look into setting up Target Filters, which will help you a lot for controller play.

Conjurer/White Mage is a class/job in which MP management is an important part of it. If you ran out of MP in a lvl 28 dungeon, chances are that you are undergeared (gear with Piety on it increases your MP pool) or using too many spells in the timeframe you have and thus expending too much MP. It's also possible that your party members are taking damage they shouldn't be (namely, poison).

scy

Ruin 2 is still around a ~20-ish DPS increase if you're able to get auto-attacks in. There's no reason to not use it, especially in fights that you're not MP starved in.

As for the discussion on spike damage, if there's not enough time for you to get full DoTs up, why do you care about your spike damage on them? Miasma + Bio is usually my go-to "it only lives for a little bit" rotation with Ruin into Ruin 2 spikes. Most of planning for adds, though, is knowing how long they'll live.

Wilsongt

Ruin 2 is still around a ~20-ish DPS increase if you're able to get auto-attacks in. There's no reason to not use it, especially in fights that you're not MP starved in.

As for the discussion on spike damage, if there's not enough time for you to get full DoTs up, why do you care about your spike damage on them? Miasma + Bio is usually my go-to "it only lives for a little bit" rotation with Ruin into Ruin 2 spikes. Most of planning for adds, though, is knowing how long they'll live.

I don't know what GAF's obession with SMN Book Smacks is.

Usually if I want some extra umph in my damage I'll do Ruin followed up by Ruin II. Or Ruin II -> Fester -> Back to Ruin Spam.

T.O.P

Banned
Went to find my old account to start anew on pc

Can't remember my fuckin Username and also forgot the secret question =_=

Gonna contact support tomorrow

Grisby

Up and Down on the Dpad moves solely through your Party Members. You don't even have to set up a Target Filter for that. For Enemies or Objects/NPCs, it might be prudent to look into setting up Target Filters, which will help you a lot for controller play.

Conjurer/White Mage is a class/job in which MP management is an important part of it. If you ran out of MP in a lvl 28 dungeon, chances are that you are undergeared (gear with Piety on it increases your MP pool) or using too many spells in the timeframe you have and thus expending too much MP. It's also possible that your party members are taking damage they shouldn't be (namely, poison).
Well I didn't know about the up/down on dead deal. That should make things easier.

It's possible my gear isn't up to snuff. I've been mostly using quest gear and I finally had to buy a chest piece of the auction house last night because loot just wasn't coming my way. Everything on the AH seems pretty slim too. W

scy

I don't know what GAF's obession with SMN Book Smacks is.

Usually if I want some extra umph in my damage I'll do Ruin followed up by Ruin II. Or Ruin II -> Fester -> Back to Ruin Spam.

Ruin->Ruin 2 isn't a DPS increase unless you're squeezing in an attack before Trick Attack fades or a jump will happen before another Ruin cast finishes.

And my fascination with book smacks is that it's a free source of damage that I have no reason to not do. Putting it in another perspective, it's around a 20% increase in damage to Ruin 2 + Auto attack vs Ruin with no auto. The cost is fairly minimal and there's so few fights you can't auto-attack so it's basically always available.

Stuart444

ILtiLG9.jpg

Finally got my Longinus Zeta. All that work has paid off.

Now I don't need to worry about weapons for a few months (on my DRG at least) :D

Quick question, are there any more content updates planned before expansion? Or is the main story done until then?

Main story is done. The only patches to be expected from here on out 'til the expansion are hotfixes (of which we have one later today) and possible quality of life.

Aselith

For shortlived targets it's best to put down Shadowflare. then hit them with ruin and energy drain imo. I wouldn't bother with poisons if it's going to go down before you even use a few ticks. It's best to start anything with Shadowflare first as it will continue to tick while you do other things. You should basically always have that running even vs single targets.

Edit: oh wait sorry missed the part about range. Ok so my preference is to throw down the Shadowflare dome on them which has a really long range and then run at them while spamming Ruin 2 and Energy Drain since those can be used on the move. How exactly is Astrea out of your range in KotL though? You shouldn't have to move very much to get her in range at all since the fight area is so small. Also, if you have level 26 thaumaturge, you can swiftcast the Shadowflare while running which is going to make it even better for that specific situation.

xxczx

For EU servers, I'm on Cerberus and it's a good server + plus really, really active. Always a queue to log in at peak times, you'll just have to make a character at non-peak time (7am?). Most people I've come across on this server have been helpful as hell, training groups for boss fights/end-game raids are always happening.

If you decide, shoot us a friend request (Dark Falz) and I'll help you out :)

Just got the game, downloading now, will start playing tomorrow. I'll most likely roll on Ultros server so that I can play with GAF.

What classes are the most "fun" to play, and do you have any good beginner tips?

TRI Mike

Hey everyone, I'm about to start the game after a long time wanting to join but as usual when starting MMOs, I have a few questions:

1) I got a PS3 Collector's Edition and a PS4 regular one, can I transfer "The Waning of the Sixth Sun" content to the PS4 version¿ (I have no idea what Wot6thS is tbh)

2) I played a lot of FFXI back in the day with a Taru focused on mage jobs, especially black mage, so I'm planning on having a male Lalafell that will eventually become a black mage, what do you guys recommend to achieve that¿

3) What server should I use¿ I tend to follow Kagari's site and twitter account so I'd like to play in her group here in NeoGAF since I have no real-life friends to play this with.

4) Is it better to play with Dual Shock or should I focus on a keyboard like I did in FFXI¿

Thanks in advance.

Stuart444

3) What server should I use¿ I tend to follow Kagari's site and twitter account so I'd like to play in her group here in NeoGAF since I have no real-life friends to play this with.

4) Is it better to play with Dual Shock or should I focus on a keyboard like I did in FFXI¿

Thanks in advance.

3. Ultros is where most of us at GAF are but you may need to wait until the off hours to get onto the server. (early hours of the morning)

4. Whatever is more comfortable. Plenty of people use controllers and do perfectly fine. Plenty prefer kB+M. You can always try both and see how you feel.

Hey everyone, I'm about to start the game after a long time wanting to join but as usual when starting MMOs, I have a few questions:

1) I got a PS3 Collector's Edition and a PS4 regular one, can I transfer "The Waning of the Sixth Sun" content to the PS4 version¿ (I have no idea what Wot6thS is tbh)

1) The waning of the sixth sun is just a video re-cap of 1.0.

For shortlived targets it's best to put down Shadowflare. then hit them with ruin and energy drain imo. I wouldn't bother with poisons if it's going to go down before you even use a few ticks. It's best to start anything with Shadowflare first as it will continue to tick while you do other things. You should basically always have that running even vs single targets.

Edit: oh wait sorry missed the part about range. Ok so my preference is to throw down the Shadowflare dome on them which has a really long range and then run at them while spamming Ruin 2 and Energy Drain since those can be used on the move. How exactly is Astrea out of your range in KotL though? You shouldn't have to move very much to get her in range at all since the fight area is so small. Also, if you have level 26 thaumaturge, you can swiftcast the Shadowflare while running which is going to make it even better for that specific situation.

Out of Bane range is what I was talking about, not out of casting range. Thanks for the tip re: Shadowflare though. o/

Grisby

Did not know that there could be multiple acts to a FATE. Pretty cool.

Is there a plot summary I could read somewhere on what happened in the first game? I'm watching this and I'm seeing a lot of characters from RR.
I mean, I know someone sent them into the future but I wouldn't mind reading something if it were available.

Zhao_Yun

Any recommendations on EU servers and maybe guilds (or whatever they're called here) that take in newbies and casual people?

For EU servers, I'm on Cerberus and it's a good server + plus really, really active. Always a queue to log in at peak times, you'll just have to make a character at non-peak time (7am?). Most people I've come across on this server have been helpful as hell, training groups for boss fights/end-game raids are always happening.

I am also on Cerberus and really can't complain. Pretty active server and a very helpful community. Can send me a friend request as well if you should end up there (Tyr Silverbergh). In terms of Free Companies (guilds in this game) you shouldn't have any problems with finding a newbie/casual friendly one, since there are quite a lot of them out there. The FC I am in, is also mostly catered to new and casual players so you'd be welcome to join if you liked ;)

Ruruja

Did not know that there could be multiple acts to a FATE. Pretty cool.

Is there a plot summary I could read somewhere on what happened in the first game? I'm watching this and I'm seeing a lot of characters from RR.
I mean, I know someone sent them into the future but I wouldn't mind reading something if it were available.

Someone somewhere posted a recap vid done by a guy a few days ago, lemme try find it.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZgp8mUrog

Is there a photo mode for the PS4 version?turning off huds seems a tad bit annoying when doing one at a time.

I wanna participate in the free giveaway. :)

Ruruja

Is there a photo mode for the PS4 version?turning off huds seems a tad bit annoying when doing one at a time.

I wanna participate in the free giveaway. :)

If it's the same as controller on PC, it's L1+Select to remove HUD and L1+Start to take a picture.

EDIT: seems it isn't. ^^

ViciousDS

Banned
Yay my video card sucks and it's overheading so that would be cool.
Such a pretty game. If only I could post multiple!

Love this place.

Ishgard before sunrise. I couldn't get a good first person shot when I took this months ago.

The city had a sort of glow to it.
in retrospect, it fits great with the ending of 2.0 story line.

I'm sure others have much better screenshots but what the hell. Took this one two years ago lol.

The Floating City of Nym

This is one of my favorite places in the game, and it holds a special place in my heart for other reasons besides the fact that it's pretty.

One of the first screenshots I took post-beta, and the first time the game wow'd me visually.

Going to just keep adding them to this post to make it easier for myself later on. I may extend till Tomorrow night as everyone seemed to be busy with the Call of Duty shindigs going on today XD

BTW, do not worry if its not uber 4K screenshots.....I'm going by styling and direction as mostly. GFX can only do so much....you are entering to take better screenshots anyways ;)

SkyOdin

2) I played a lot of FFXI back in the day with a Taru focused on mage jobs, especially black mage, so I'm planning on having a male Lalafell that will eventually become a black mage, what do you guys recommend to achieve that¿

Thanks in advance.
1) I think the Waning of the Sixth Sun is just a collection of movies from the 1.0 version of the game. It isn't actually game content, just a bonus DVD or something. Transferring it shouldn't be necessary.

2) To get the Black Mage Job, you just need to level Thaumaturge to level 30 and Archer to level 15. Black Mage is the upgrade to the Thaumaturge class, and uses all of the Thaumaturge's abilities. Optionally, getting 5 or so levels of Arcanist can help, since you can use a few of its spells as a Black Mage.

I would suggest starting as a Thaumaturge, so you can get used to the class early and figure out if it is your cup of tea. I like the class myself, despite the fact that I am not particularly good at it. It is certainly the class for people who like large damage numbers from individual spells.

3) Server choice mostly comes down to if you have friends in any specific place to play with. I had a few friends who went to Leviathan, so I went there. I enjoy being part of a small, tight-knit FC, but if you want to be part of a large FC, the GAF FC is probably an option.

4) You can play the game perfectly well on a controller. My brother uses a controller to play, and he does fine in high-end content. Keyboard vs controller is simply a matter of personal preference. I do highly recommend having a keyboard just to chat with though.

What do you mean¿ The server is not available at all times¿
In order to balance server populations, the devs periodically prevent new players from creating characters on some of the more populous servers. If you are persistent, you wait until the restriction is removed. There are always servers that are accepting new players though.

VoidVR

Banned
In lower level dungeons, it's kind of a crapshoot. You can't really rush that much because level sync prevents you from outgearing them much, though there are optional parts and skippable packs if you're in the know. You'll get a combination of lower-level players and end-game players doing low-level roulette for tokens, and the latter may be a little more impatient. Overall, I wouldn't worry about it, since I think every game is going to have people like that.

If you're new, then outside of raiding (Coil) at max level you have:
- the next arc of the main story line after you hit 50 and finish the levelling-up story (this also unlocks dungeons and bosses as you make your way through it)
- level 50 dungeons (there's a lot of them) and casual 24-man raids (Crystal Tower), grinding for tokens to get better gear
- boss-only instances for horses and other trinkets (Primals)
- levelling up other classes (you can switch to any class very easily on a single character)

Other things to do:
- crafting and gathering, which are pretty huge and time-consuming
- fishing, which will permanently scar your soul
- standing around hub towns looking pretty

Can't really advise on EU servers, I'm afraid.

I am also on Cerberus and really can't complain. Pretty active server and a very helpful community. Can send me a friend request as well if you should end up there (Tyr Silverbergh). In terms of Free Companies (guilds in this game) you shouldn't have any problems with finding a newbie/casual friendly one, since there are quite a lot of them out there. The FC I am in, is also mostly catered to new and casual players so you'd be welcome to join if you liked ;)

Hey thanks a lot for the answers! I'll hit you guys up when my schedule frees up and I get in game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom