• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

adz2ka

What's the best guide to use to go through all the optional content?

I've just reached Chapter 14 so I imagine I've only got a couple hours left so want to prepare.

Spoiler (but no story spoiler)
Should I complete the game, then use Umbra at the last available save point to go and finish all the optional content?

Epcott

Finally made it to Chapter 14 last night after the endless 13.
Longest dungeon ever.

Now I'm getting
FF6 end of the world vibes. If I were at an insanely higher level, would I have been able to explore the entire region of eternal night on foot instead of hopping in that truck?

I'm also disappointed with Chapter 10. During loading it explains that
Noctis and friends are traveling through a land of desert and glaciers a mere few miles apart and that they need to make it through as soon as possible. I got the feeling the land was more explorable and even traversable by foot... but no, it's only by train :(

And Altissia feels like such a wast of potential. I kept thinking there was more to explore
like the entire city and not just a few districts and night hunts. I feel bad that I didn't bother with the colosseum.

I'm excited to see how this ends. You guys are making the ending sound amazing.

Zakalwe

Banned
What the hell is up with the story? This is shit, even by FF standards.

I also feel like I won't enjoy side quests in a game for a long, long time, until developers start to emulate games like The Witcher III.

What a shame, because I enjoy the battle system and some of the side quests, and the music is serviceable.

TW3 side quests can be boiled down to the exact same things: go here, interact with x, etc... mechanically most of them are standard ROG filler.

The main difference being TW3 puts more effort into writing a lot of the time even for smaller side quests.

However, XV's actual gameplay is much more fun. It has its own issues like the battle camera and lock on, but overall traversal and combat in XV is leagues better than TW3 which was both awkward and bland at once in both of those regards.

I had much more fun exploring XV than I did because of this. Story is important to me, but gameplay more so.

Nydius

Now I'm getting
FF6 end of the world vibes. If I were at an insanely higher level, would I have been able to explore the entire region of eternal night on foot instead of hopping in that truck?

Nope, sadly. That part is as linear as the previous chapters.

A real missed opportunity, IMO, as I wrote in a much, much earlier post. I would have really loved to see the World of Ruin as a second open world act with the sealed dungeons and access to the Randolph quests becoming accessible before the final confrontation.

Part of me hopes they make a quasi-sequel that takes place during the 10 years between the end of Chapter 13 and the beginning of Chapter 14, but part of me also hopes they don't because that'll just piss me off in that it should have been in the original game....

Kazdane

So the DLC that was getting released today, is it already available? I'm interested in picking up the ring, since I'm level 36 in Chapter 5 and it'd help me for the rest of the game.

Epcott

Nope, sadly. That part is as linear as the previous chapters.

A real missed opportunity, IMO, as I wrote in a much, much earlier post. I would have really loved to see the World of Ruin as a second open world act with the sealed dungeons and access to the Randolph quests becoming accessible before the final confrontation.

Part of me hopes they make a quasi-sequel that takes place during the 10 years between the end of Chapter 13 and the beginning of Chapter 14, but part of me also hopes they don't because that'll just piss me off in that it should have been in the original game....

That would be amazing. I'd definitely buy the season pass/sequel/expansion for that. There's so much they could expand upon in DLC.

Apt101

How tedious is it to get the sturdy helixhorn required for
Ultima Blade?
... and is it worth the effort?

Use the mother and child rice bowl, use Sword of the Wise and warp strike the head of the Duplicorns to break them, then kill. Dropped for me after three tries. Trying without the food and Sword of the Wise I killed them like 20 times with no drops. Just grab the hunt in Old Lestallum, save before you attack, and repeat.

neoism

soo guys where the hell is the holiday dlc in the store i cant find it??? ������

Ricker

Just did the Infamous E3 fight last evening...jesus christ,that camera,I understand the poor guy demo'ing this now lol...I did it without dying but I am not sure how exactly hehe...

Now that we are pretty sure the Pro patch is not coming anytime soon,I will jump in full steam on the game,Chapter 5 now,liking it a lot so far.

Audioboxer

The comment section:

9Phy7j3.jpg

LOL.

YT comments section redeemed for once.

theofficefan99

Just did the Infamous E3 fight last evening...jesus christ,that camera,I understand the poor guy demo'ing this now lol...I did it without dying but I am not sure how exactly hehe...

Now that we are pretty sure the Pro patch is not coming anytime soon,I will jump in full steam on the game,Chapter 5 now,liking it a lot so far.

The Titan fight is TERRIBLE.

neoism

Final Fantasy XV Premium Edition and Season Pass holders will receive the following:

Ring of Resistance – A protective piece of jewelry that renders the entire party to be resistant to magical friendly fire.

Tech Turbocharger – A device for Noctis that accelerates the tech bar replenishment rate, but freezes the Armiger bar.

Armiger Accelerator – A device for Noctis that accelerates the Armiger bar replenishment rate, but freezes the tech bar.

Blitzer's Fanfare – A scroll of sheet music containing a song of jubilation that provides additional AP for earning an A+ in Time outside of training.

Tactician's Fanfare – A scroll of sheet music containing a song of jubilation that provides additional AP for earning an A+ in Finesse outside of training.

Key of Prosperity – A lucky charm that increases the rate at which fallen foes leave behind items of value.

Stamina Badge – A device that enables Noctis to sprint and hang without expending stamina.

Carnival Passpor t – An adorably adorned ticket that whisks the bearer away to a fun-filled carnival for a limited time.

Festive Ensemble (available late January) – A fancy and fun outfit perfectly suited for enjoying the festivities. The darling design puts all who see it in high spirits.

Holiday Pack + Exclusive Photo Frames (available late January) – Additional themes the player can add to Prompto's photos when sharing over social media.

ok guddamn �� if i buy the season pass can i get these items right now... i just have the base game, and still cant find the Holiday DLC?? ��

MechaX

Damn, I suck at this game lol, how do I play like that? Is the Infinite Airsteps skill or just skill?

It's literally just infinite airsteps. You can actually cheese a fair amount of enemies up to and including multiple optional bosses with that skill alone.

It looks nice for sure, but I wouldn't necessarily say it would come close to skill (and when I think that in these kind of games, I think of something like this.

Neiteio

OK, so I've been going back and taking screenshots, and I'm encountering black bars that weren't there before, despite my TV being in "Just scan" and me having adjusted the borders in screen settings:

I don't mind too much, since I can crop the black borders and then I shrink the massive PS4 Pro images anyways, but anyone know what's going on here?

rataven

Whelp, I'm about to start the infamous Chapter 13. I know nothing about it other than it's everyone's nemesis, so we'll see how this goes.

I'm currently making my way through chapter 10 and there's a few things I need to talk about.

I just got summon #4 for a progress point.

Good:
Game really punches you in the gut with Ignis out of commission. The switching from protecting Noctis to Ignis, missing his abilities, and watching him struggle is heartbreaking.

Bad:
I have no idea what the hell is going on. I get that the Empire attacked us, attacked Tenebrae, whatever. But how is Ardyn magically disappearing and reappearing? What's his damn motive? Also, I thought Shiva was dead, so how am I meeting with Shiva? Is Ardyn actually dead now? Probably not. Just confused.

Edit: A few seconds later and I see
Ardyn
is
still alive
. Still confused.

I completed these chapters a bit ago, plus the two immediately after it, and really have to agree. All the events that take place after leaving for
Altissia feel almost on rails. It all happens so fast and it's not plotted well, yet it's not something I wanted to take a break from and go back to side quests and fetching beans for Takka. It's frustrating because this is where the story is finally coming out of the oven yet it hasn't baked long enough.

Oh, but the stuff with Iggy. Just broke my heart. I kept doubting that his blindness would stick. How could our group cook and driver lose his sight?!? And watching him struggle behind and his voice lines in battle....heartwrenching. I'm actually glad they haven't magically healed him though. It gives it more weight. And most of this game's attempts at that have faltered.

benzy

OK, so I've been going back and taking screenshots, and I'm encountering black bars that weren't there before, despite my TV being in "Just scan" and me having adjusted the borders in screen settings:

I don't mind too much, since I can crop the black borders and then I shrink the massive PS4 Pro images anyways, but anyone know what's going on here?

Go to the ps home setting -> display and sound -> change display size to max

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What got me through these chapters was the ability go for back to the past and do useless sidequest haha

neoism

go to screen and sounds in the ps4 system menu... then go to display and max it out... then restart ff15.

Neiteio

Same happened to me. Enlarging the PS4 screen setting to max fixes the black borders for video and screenshot capture.
But isn't this a catch-22? Wouldn't this mean that, while my screens and video will look fine, the actual TV display during gameplay will be too zoomed in? And for other games, even more zoomed in?

Dysun

Finished the game last night. Chapter 14 was superb, felt like the game finally put it all together for a nice stretch.

I will look back on the game fondly, even though it has a ton of obvious faults. Better than the sum of its parts

benzy

But isn't this a catch-22? Wouldn't this mean that, while my screens and video will look fine, the actual TV display during gameplay will be too zoomed in? And for other games, even more zoomed in?

Look at where the game HUD is on your TV. If they're in the right position from the TV border then it's not zoomed in.

Some guy pointed out I had overscan issues on my TV settings and I had to switch it from 16:9 mode to Screen Fit. Now I can see the white borders in the PS4 display setting at max enlarge setting.

adz2ka

I've just reached Chapter 14 so I imagine I've only got a couple hours left so want to prepare.

Should I complete the game, then use Umbra at the last available save point to go and finish all the optional content?

Anyone?

Jake2by4

Just had something weird happen. Took on a hunt, then the game slowed down to a crawl. During the fight, the screen cut to the loading screen.

LordKasual

Banned

Just beat the game. It'll put you in a save point right outside the start of the final fight.

You can then go back and do everything.

Raven117

When is the best time to run through all the open world quests? I'm currently level 40 at the end of chapter 8....

Should I stop now to level up for the final push of the game? Push forward a bit more (into 9)

Zakalwe

Banned
When is the best time to run through all the open world quests? I'm currently level 40 at the end of chapter 8....

Should I stop now to level up for the final push of the game? Push forward a bit more (into 9)

There's no best way. You can return to the open world at any Inn during c9-14 and post-game retains access to all quests and activities.

Toth

TIL Too Much is Never Enough is IN the game. It plays in all its glory during the Credits portion that you select from the main menu. Mind blown lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So I made it to the part in Chapter 13 where you
get all your boys, and your weapons back, so you can summon Umbra, and so I went back to the open world

I'll be honest, it dragged on a bit long and the art style/environment design was a little too "forgettable Xbox 360 linear shooter" but the tonal shift in Chapter 13 was certainly interesting:

I actually had my first jump scare ever in an FF, when one of the MTs lying on the ground grabbed me. Also I like how you finally get to the Empire's capital city, and nothing remains but monsters. This gave me major Arc the Lad 2 vibes, when you finally reach the Empire in that game and, due to experimentation, only demons remained in there.

Well, back to do more side quests and hunts. I'd like to go for the Plat in the game, though not necessarily do every single hunt.

Could someone suggest some good fishing guides? Most of my abilities are level 8, fishing is at level 2.

iFirez

I'm still addicted to side quests. I'm 28 hours in, started playing on Tuesday morning. Today I climbed a volcano, defeated a Red Giant Daemon at night and explored the unexplored (well for me anyway).

I'm at Chapter 7 or so I think, the actual chapters seem to pass pretty quick but the time I spend in them is elongated by the amount of side quests I do.

The dungeons in this game is were it shines the strongest for me, they're often unique and varied from a design point of view. The bosses at the end of them are fun challenges, even though I'm overlevelled for this point in the game.

Well, back to do more side quests and hunts. I'd like to go for the Plat in the game, though not necessarily do every single hunt.

Could someone suggest some good fishing guides? Most of my abilities are level 8, fishing is at level 2.

You don't need the hunts to get plat.

I never used any fishing guides and maxed out pretty quick. Just make sure to buy the best rod and reel you can (The shop in the middle of the vesperpool coast) and every lure you can. Then it's just a matter of trial and error. Once you get hits, stick with that lure till you fish an area dry, then leave then immediately go back, rinse and repeat.

Dlc is up? Damn I just stopped playing for the day.

Top Bottom