• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

BriGuy

I beat the game last night. I suppose I enjoyed it for the most part, I mean, it's one of like three games I bothered to finish this year so that's something. But messing around in the post game, I feel like there's this vast chasm between what the game should be and what it actually is.

Tenrius

I'm in chapter 2 and I'm not allowed to drive the car manually for some reason. I think it was like this ever since the first visit to Galdin Quay. I was able to drive manually before. Is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any explanation for this.

I'm in chapter 2 and I'm not allowed to drive the car manually for some reason. I think it was like this ever since the first visit to Galdin Quay. I was able to drive manually before. Is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any explanation for this.
You'll get it back soon. It's not a glitch or anything.

DarkKyo

My god chapter 13 is killing me very, very slowly.

Talk about hyperbole! I feel like people who struggle with this chapter have no patience and can't just enjoy the ride. It's a long and tricky chapter but it's interesting and thematically cool.
The setting is super atmospheric and haunting

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Costelmark Tower is seriously giving me a serious headache. What's this shit... I don't understand how to get how of the loop without an hint of sort or an actual visual/level design that HELPS the player at least finding his way. Horrible dungeon. Also is the progress saved if I leave?

Ludens

Banned
Castlemark Tower is seriously giving me a serious headache. What's this shit... I don't understand how to get how of the loop without an hint of sort or an actual visual/level design that HELPS the player at least finding his way. Horrible dungeon. Also is the progress saved if I leave?

The number of pillars near each gate. It should be 4-3-2-1.

Leunam

Talk about hyperbole! I feel like people who struggle with this chapter have no patience and can't just enjoy the ride. It's a long and tricky chapter but it's interesting and thematically cool.
The setting is super atmospheric and haunting

I had the patience to do it in one sitting.

Forcing combat down to either stealth or slow spellcasting was a terrible decision for more than a few engagements. The setting was hallway after hallway. There was a lot of promise early on where you got glimpses of a blacked out city and you get none of that once you enter the facility. After seeing the same hallways and security upgrades over and over whatever haunting quality the chapter had is quickly lost and the whole thing becomes boring.

mauaus

Im ready to finish the game tonight, chapter
Level 80 across the board, safe to say im going to steamroll it. So close to that platinum.

I have reaaaally enjoyed this game :)

DarkKyo

Forcing combat down to either stealth or slow spellcasting was a terrible decision for more than a few engagements. The setting was hallway after hallway. There was a lot of promise early on where you got glimpses of a blacked out city and you get none of that once you enter the facility. After seeing the same hallways and security upgrades over and over whatever haunting quality the chapter had is quickly lost and the whole thing becomes boring.

For me they switched up the types of encounters and moved along with exposition just enough to keep it interesting without being overly tedious. I almost feel like the amount of exposition in that chapter(between Ardyn talking, reuniting with the boys and Prompto, the data logs you find everywhere, finding Ravus/the sword, and finally getting to the crystal) would have been cheapened if the chapter went by faster than it did. I mean the whole point of the chapter was that it was supposed to be a dark, lonely struggle for Noctis/the player.

rataven

Still in Chapter 13. I don't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would based on reactions, but it's definitely loooong as heck. Just came across
Ravis's dead body. That seemed random, even reading the little notes around him I don't quite get what he was up to. I thought he was a bad guy based on the movie. He sure didn't seem to treat his sister well. But then here he's concerned about her sacrifice. I guess because he didn't think Noctis was worthy of it? Don't know why he'd assume that though.

BriGuy

I didn't hate chapter 13 as much as I expected to, but it did kind of overstay its welcome. Letting you move faster than "oops, I crapped my pants" speed would have helped immeasurably.

Man, racked up 600 ap in less than 30 minutes thanks to the DLC items with the wolf + shield trick.

Should i break Prompto's limit so I can get ridiculous damage with Overwhelm or is there a better way to amplify my damage? Im at the post game here, already level 99.

Jennipeg

Wasn't it a lab? Where was all the lab equipment? That really bugged me. Such a dull setting. The security upgrades felt so old fashioned. Well it was the Shinra building except not as good.

Still in Chapter 13. I don't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would based on reactions, but it's definitely loooong as heck. Just came across
Ravis's dead body. That seemed random, even reading the little notes around him I don't quite get what he was up to. I thought he was a bad guy based on the movie. He sure didn't seem to treat his sister well. But then here he's concerned about her sacrifice. I guess because he didn't think Noctis was worthy of it? Don't know why he'd assume that though.

Basically, Ravus blamed Regis, and by extension Noctis, for Tenebrae falling to the Empire when he was a kid. As he got older he seemed to realize that it was the Empire's fault it all happened but still resented Lucis and the royal family for "abandoning" Tenebrae to hide in Insomnia rather than trying to fight the Empire off.

By FFXV he's working from within the Empire to try and take it down but he still REALLY doesn't like Noctis and doesn't think he has what it takes to get the job done. His original plan was to do it all himself by assuming the mantle of the King of Lucis but was violently rejected by the ring (hence his robot arm). I guess he eventually came around to Luna's side as we see in his last note that he was holding on to Regis's sword to give to Noctis in case he was able to get Leviathan's blessing.

Of course, most of that really only makes sense in hindsight and I wouldn't say they did the best job conveying it to the player. Maybe if Ravus had more screen time.

-Horizon-

Does anyone know what the trick to costlemark tower is? I've heard that you can get stuck doing giant bosses rather than getting to the real boss with the royal arm. And I've heard that you can avoid almost all the giant fights. But Google isn't helping :/

Ricker

Okay,first dungeon thats giving me problems makes me realise I dont fully understand the battle system but whats really annoying is not being able to save or anything in them...30 minutes of fighting and crawling in slow motion through cracks and what not only to have to redo all that when you die is pretty rage quit...how was I suppose to know I would get Toaded lol...

Man, racked up 600 ap in less than 30 minutes thanks to the DLC items with the wolf + shield trick.

Should i break Prompto's limit so I can get ridiculous damage with Overwhelm or is there a better way to amplify my damage? Im at the post game here, already level 99.

Explain lol.

Also, how do I access the DLC? I downloaded it off the store but nothing is showing up in their items list anywhere.

What's this trick, not heard of it before?

I'm so disappointed in the Nyxperience Band. it doesn't stop you from gaining EXP, it only stops it from giving you the levels. I was hoping I could just only gain EXP from mandatory stuff but I can't do that now. I can't believe I waited a whole month for this when I could've just played the game instead.

I'm just going to not pick up the stat ascension nodes other than the 10 AP Health Level that I already had.

DarkKyo

I guess because he didn't think Noctis was worthy of it? Don't know why he'd assume that though.

Well, Noctis is basically just a dumb rich kid who hasn't proven himself yet(by the time those flashback cutscenes take place where Ravus is talking to Luna), it's pretty natural to be apprehensive about him when you don't know he's the main character of the world you exist in.

rataven

Basically, Ravus blamed Regis, and by extension Noctis, for Tenebrae falling to the Empire when he was a kid. As he got older he seemed to realize that it was the Empire's fault it all happened but still resented Lucis and the royal family for "abandoning" Tenebrae to hide in Insomnia rather than trying to fight the Empire off.

By FFXV he's working from within the Empire to try and take it down but he still REALLY doesn't like Noctis and doesn't think he has what it takes to get the job done. His original plan was to do it all himself by assuming the mantle of the King of Lucis but was violently rejected by the ring (hence his robot arm). I guess he eventually came around to Luna's side as we see in his last note that he was holding on to Regis's sword to give to Noctis in case he was able to get Leviathan's blessing.

Of course, most of that really only makes sense in hindsight and I wouldn't say they did the best job conveying it to the player. Maybe if Ravus had more screen time.

That makes so much more sense now.
I can't exactly blame him either, at least for his initial feelings when he was young. I remember watching that part of the movie and thinking Regis seemed cowardly for leaving them behind, especially with his powers. But then his sister ends up engaged to Nocits so I assumed amends had been made.

Ravis's story does seem like it largely has to be inferred and that's kind of a shame because when it's explained out, it's rather interesting for a side character.

Well, Noctis is basically just a dumb rich kid who hasn't proven himself yet(by the time those flashback cutscenes take place where Ravus is talking to Luna), it's pretty natural to be apprehensive about him when you don't know he's the main character of the world you exist in.

But Noctis comes from a royal blood line that was deemed worthy of wielding that power ages ago, right? I mean, I get proving yourself, like he had to do with Leviathan, but it seems like it would be inherent in him, to some extent. Like he would be given the benefit of the doubt.

Hobbes211

Costlemark's hidden door is going to give me a goddamn stroke trying to kill these 4 iron giants. I did it the other night and then died against the 4 Brainflayer guys in the next room.

I've already finished
Pitios
and I guess I only have the volcano dungeon left to do after that, but god damn that dungeon is annoying.

h3ro

I'm so disappointed in the Nyxperience Band. it doesn't stop you from gaining EXP, it only stops it from giving you the levels. I was hoping I could just only gain EXP from mandatory stuff but I can't do that now. I can't believe I waited a whole month for this when I could've just played the game instead.

I'm just going to not pick up the stat ascension nodes other than the 10 AP Health Level that I already had.

On the other hand, the band will make grinding easier and quicker. Since levels won't build and EXP won't be spent, we can camp as often as we want to cycle forward to the next day while getting Recipe points/levels with Iggy.
Cactuar is about to get it.

mauaus

Whats the trick? Please share!

Ricker

Also guys,when Noc's Armiger thing is ready by hitting L1/R1 do I need to keep hitting O to attck and point in directions or does he just goes bat crazy by himself...?

On the other hand, the band will make grinding easier and quicker. Since levels won't build and EXP won't be spent, we can camp as often as we want to cycle forward to the next day while getting Recipe points/levels with Iggy.
I'm glad you like it, I still feel like I wasted a whole month of putting off a game when it ended up being pointless because I don't plan on taking advantage of the accessory to use the inn multipliers.

cackhyena

So what are we talking about here?

Guys,

It's just the three canyons AP trick but with the Blitzer's Fanfare + Warriors Fanfare items from the DLC. It gives you 3AP extra if you get A+ grade on Time and Offense.

Got another 600 AP while waiting for advice on what to level up.

So what are we talking about here?

The Nyxperience band doesn't actually negate EXP gained, it only stops it from giving you levels when you camp, so you can just have it equipped, gain as much EXP as you want even after you camp, and then take off the accessory and use an inn with a high multiplier.

cackhyena

The Nyxperience band doesn't actually negate EXP gained, it only stops it from giving you levels when you camp, so you can just have it equipped, gain as much EXP as you want even after you camp, and then take off the accessory and use an inn with a high multiplier.

Oh, that's sweet. Thanks.

Doombear

No, that stuff is free except the framed photos.

Everything that I am seeing says otherwise, and that the Ring of Resistance is part of the paid DLC/Season Pass. The only four free items are Warrior’s Fanfare, Nixperience Band, Carnival Passport, and the Choco-Mog Tee. Having to pay more to negate friendly fire is kind of awful I think.

h3ro

Everything that I am seeing says otherwise, and that the Ring of Resistance is part of the paid DLC/Season Pass. The only four free items are Warrior’s Fanfare, Nixperience Band, Carnival Passport, and the Choco-Mog Tee. Having to pay more to negate friendly fire is kind of awful I think.

Honestly, I doubt I'll use it. If you use Iggy's Regroup for quick heal and to reposition the party, friendly fire isn't much of an issue any longer.

Guys,

It's just the three canyons AP trick but with the Blitzer's Fanfare + Warriors Fanfare items from the DLC. It gives you 3AP extra if you get A+ grade on Time and Offense.

Got another 600 AP while waiting for advice on what to level up.
So that makes things what, twice as quick on average? Still ages, but I guess 7 to 8 hours is an improvement over the 15 or so hours it'll take to max things out. Maybe something to do while listening to podcasts.

Valonquar

I feel like someone at SE said "Let's make 70% of the game take place in the dark with flashlights to hide the simple dungeon layouts"

hohoXD123

Finished at 23 hours, did a few side quests but not a lot. Quite liked the ending, but the pacing was all over the place in the last few chapters.

Koozek

Wait, what am I missing? :D What does it matter that you gain EXP if you don't level up?

Koozek

Also guys,when Noc's Armiger thing is ready by hitting L1/R1 do I need to keep hitting O to attck and point in directions or does he just goes bat crazy by himself...?
Just press attack. He will fly around automatically and attack a target until it's dead AFAIK and then switch to the next, nearest one. I think you can change his general direction and current target with the left stick, but I can't confirm it.

Try hitting the L1/R1 again.
No, that would only activate the Execution finisher attack (the fuller the Armiger bar the stronger this finisher is). I usually only activated it when the gauge was almost depleted, that way I could use as much of the Armiger as possible and then top it off with the Execution, which wasn't that much weaker than if you used it at full bar as far as I could tell at least.

Wait, what am I missing? :D What does it matter that you gain EXP if you don't level up?
I wanted to do my first playthrough with being able to do side quests without overleveling, but I also didn't want to do a level 1 run, so the idea was to only gain EXP from mandatory quests.

I can't do that, so I have to compensate elsewhere now.

Majmun

HELP!!!

I have a Ps4 Pro. After buying the season pass and installing both packs, the game went back to OG Ps4 settings. The resolution went to shit, screen looks smaller now.

Is this a known bug, and how can I fix this?

-Horizon-

Ok, never mind, found a video to help with the tower dungeon. Oh man that was not worth it. Cramped hallways and mobs of enemies that can knock off half an HP bar is ridiculous.

Who thought it was a good idea to have a small room filled with those electric ball things that seem to multiply as well as those almost one shot sword dudes?!

HELP!!!

I have a Ps4 Pro. After buying the season pass and installing both packs, the game went back to OG Ps4 settings. The resolution went to shit, screen looks smaller now.

Is this a known bug, and how can I fix this?

Go to the patch thread, its related to the overscan fix
And they show you how to fix it.

Koozek

I wanted to do my first playthrough with being able to do side quests without overleveling, but I also didn't want to do a level 1 run, so the idea was to only gain EXP from mandatory quests.

I can't do that, so I have to compensate elsewhere now.
Ahh, I see. Hmm, maybe play until you're around level 45-50 in chapter 9 and then use the item to stay on that level for the rest of the game. I think that level is enough not to be too overpowered for the second half and not too low to do most of the quests and hunts.

Thanks Pshyco! I love every FF for their own merits (yes, even FF2) so I have yet to be disappointed. I am rather amazed what they were able to bring together in this messy project into a pretty cohesive package that can get away with being a little rough around the edge. Where 13 impressed me with world design, battle system, and deep lore, 15 impressed me with the really strong bonds the four bros shared through the game. This was a journey we all took together and Eos was well worth the wait to experience. Having a fantastic villain certainly helped, along with some amazing setpieces.

Though I still do not care for Tabata's story telling, I am feeling good about improvements planned for the game to further solidify the story threads and explore the bros more deeply. Seeing new FF players really getting into the game is refreshing as well.

tumblr_mkxxxisIUb1qc04l9o1_500.gif

If I wasn't so lazy I would make some gifs. But this is impressive nonetheless. :D

Top Bottom