• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Alright. I've heard bad things about Kingsglaive but I guess it's worth a try.

It's really not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It's standard summer action-flick quality. Skip the platinum demo, it's an unoptimized PoS that doesn't really add anything.

Kouichi

Just finished the game after 40 hours, and I loved it! After 10 years, the Final Fantasy game I was most excited for totally delivered. Despite the flaws, the strengths of the combat and gameplay, along with your awesome crew easily made up for them. I even enjoyed the overall story, and am really looking forward to the season pass stuff and the narrative updates. Once Square adds everything they want, I'm definitely going to try new game plus. XV is my favorite FF thus far, and a game I plan to play for a long while.

Now to go watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood!

Ishida

Banned
Just finished the game after 40 hours, and I loved it! After 10 years, the Final Fantasy game I was most excited for totally delivered. Despite the flaws, the strengths of the combat and gameplay, along with your awesome crew easily made up for them. I even enjoyed the overall story, and am really looking forward to the season pass stuff and the narrative updates. Once Square adds everything they want, I'm definitely going to try new game plus. XV is my favorite FF thus far, and a game I plan to play for a long while.

Now to go watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood!

This is pretty much my exact same opinion. It's not the best in the franchise, but this game single handedly restored my faith in Final Fantasy after XII and XIII. Even after finishing the main story, I cannot put the controller down.

Running around the vast fields of Eos, fighting amazing, fun battles, being surprised when a Summon decides to lend me a hand, discovering new dungeons, flying the Regalia over the hills, mountains and forest, being delighted by the amazing music, hearing the banter of the four bros, experimenting with my combat skills by switching weapons in mid combos, trying out different combinations of weapons and magic, practicing air stepping and parrying...

I haven't felt so happy and satisfied while playing a Final Fantasy game since X. This game just oozes charm, passion and fun.

Zakalwe

Banned
Appreciate, thanks for the replies.

In the middle of a dungeon currently so I was wondering if I could access them right away. Glad that's the case!

EDIT: The +AP for A+ items are great. I can't see myself ever using the Resistance band, I might play around with the tech bar accelerator a little too.

Need to unlock those x3 accessory slots for sure now...

Wagram

Okay, the Chapter 14 boss was not expected at all. In addition, easily the best story boss of the game in my opinion (at least to this point).

So how do you unlock the
post game dungeons?
I beat the game and all the dungeons regularly
and went to talk to Ezma
and nothing happens

Zakalwe

Banned
Looks like it's:

+1 AP for Timing A+
+3 AP for Finesse A+
+2 AP for Offense A+

My average games are usually:

Timing A+
Finesse D-B
Offense A+

Or

Timing D-B
Finesse A+
Offense A+

Which is 3 and 5 AP points per battle respectively. That's a pretty hefty amount of AP if you can keep you scores high.

SoYczxt.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
So how do you unlock the
post game dungeons?
I beat the game and all the dungeons regularly
and went to talk to Ezma
and nothing happens

Castlemark, Crestholm, Daurell, and Balouve. Beat the bosses in each dungeon and you'll pop the quest.

just bear in mind that the secret door in Daurell is currently bugged or badly designed. The only way to access it is during the boos encounter of the standard dungeon. You need to warp to the platorm above his head and wait there till he dies so you can drop the ladder to climb to reach the area it's in.

If you kill the boss without doing this, there's no current way to access it (unless they fixed this in the patch? I haven't checked...).

zakujanai

I'm on Chapter 12 and have absolutely no idea what this game is about

Why am I on a train?
Where am I going?
What am I supposed to be doing there?
What is the significance of the ring from Luna?
Why did Noctis attack the Chancellor when he was perfectly fine helping him before?

Edit: wait I actually do know this don't I. I didn't really pay attention in the Italian place but was it the Chancellor who stabbed Luna? I pretty much checked out of that whole section since I didn't even know why I was there. The fact I was meant to care about her when she's been on screen for a total of about 3 minutes was ludicrous.

Why do I need to meet the summon things? Only thing I've ever been told to do is collect royal arms by Cor, not that I have any idea why other than to become stronger.
Why are people saying Noctis is their favourite FF protagonist? I warmed to the bros far more than I ever thought I would, but Noctis is incredibly bland (we're talking Vaan territory) and never dies anything decisive.

I could go on but even some answers to these might help me make sense of this. Normally I love story more than anything in an RPG but in this I actually miss the aimless fetch quests that had me cruising round the open world exploring.

I'm worried about reaching Chapter 13 since it's apparently terrible, I don't see at this point how it could be any worse. I feel like I've skipped all of the cutscenes and I'm eking by on scraps gleamed from incidental conversations.

Ishida

Banned

Why am I on a train?
Where am I going?
Why did Noctis attack the Chancellor when he was perfectly fine helping him before?
Why do I need to meet the summon things? Only thing I've ever been told to do is collect royal arms by Cor, not that I have any idea why other than to become stronger.
Why are people saying Noctis is their favourite FF protagonist? I warmed to the bros far more than I ever thought I would, but Noctis is incredibly bland (we're talking Vaan territory) and never dies anything decisive.

I could go on but even some answers to these might help me make sense of this. Normally I love story more than anything in an RPG but in this I actually miss the aimless fetch quests that had me cruising round the open world exploring.

I'm worried about reaching Chapter 13 since it's apparently terrible, I don't see at this point how it could be any worse. I feel like I've skipped all of the cutscenes and I'm eking by on scraps gleamed from incidental conversations.

All your questions have already been explained by the game itself, or will be explained.

Beat the game last night. Still processing everything. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it all in all, it really was fun, although some things definitely tested my patience. But man, I loved the guys. Iggy holds a special place in my fav FF character list.

So I should probably ask this in the spoiler thread, but this seems more active so maybe someone here as some insight. Chapter 14:
what the heck was the deal with the Bahamut summon?? He comes swooping in with all that flourish, nearly defeats Ifrit, then eyes Noctis and.... what, just leaves?? I'm assuming this was another test for Noctis to prove his worth or something but I feel like he had to do that an awful lot. Anyway I was so tired by this point I just wanted an easy win with a Bahamut summon haha.

Iggy is best bro can't wait to play his dlc

What is the name of the song that plays on the title screen
after you beat the game
?

Noctis

Wagram

Final boss wasn't that memorable to me. The ending was decent, but I was expecting a lot more considering how much people were propping it up there.

KupoNut

Did yesterday's update improve chapter 13? Also read in the patch thread that
some people discovered an additional Jared scene was added.

Ishida

Banned
Did yesterday's update improve chapter 13? Also read in the patch thread that
some people discovered an additional Jared scene was added.

Chapter 13 hasn't been touched yet. That is one of the long term commitments, so don't expect it anytime soon.

I haven't seen any new cutscenes, but some people claim to have seen it. If there is, it should be on Youtube by now.

Cheers man, very helpful.

I live to serve.

That'll be 20 dollars.

KupoNut

Why am I on a train?
Where am I going?

Edit: wait I actually do know this don't I. I didn't really pay attention in the Italian place but was it the Chancellor who stabbed Luna? I pretty much checked out of that whole section since I didn't even know why I was there. The fact I was meant to care about her when she's been on screen for a total of about 3 minutes was ludicrous.

Some more backstory, I suggest you watch a recap of Kingsglaive because there are bound to be more things which you might find confusing or random.

You're on the train heading to the enemy to take revenge for Luna, and hey they have your stolen Crystal too, so might as well reclaim that. The ring is Noctis' father's, it was used to keep up Lucis' magic barrier protecting them from the Nifflheim empire. Watching Kingsglaive you'll learn this ring gets into Luna's hands, if she can get it to Noctis he gets great power as the ring is sort of an embodiment of Noctis' father and the rulers before him. Not everyone is fit to wear the ring, only those chosen to be worthy.

These things get explained but stay very shallow in the game, although they might improve upon that with future patches.

zakujanai

Some more backstory, I suggest you watch a recap of Kingsglaive because there are bound to be more things which you might find confusing or random.

You're on the train heading to the enemy to take revenge for Luna, and hey they have your stolen Crystal too, so might as well reclaim that. The ring is Noctis' father's, it was used to keep up Lucis' magic barrier protecting them from the Nifflheim empire. Watching Kingsglaive you'll learn this ring gets into Luna's hands, if she can get it to Noctis he gets great power as the ring is sort of an embodiment of Noctis' father and the rulers before him. Not everyone is fit to wear the ring, only those chosen to be worthy.

These things get explained but stay very shallow in the game, although they might improve upon that with future patches.

Thanks, this clears things up a little. When I first started feeling I didn't have a full grasp of what was happening I was going to order Kingsglaive but then life got in the way and I kind of forgot. It's such a shame because I was expecting to hate the game due to it being action-based and had genuinely been enjoying the open world stuff.

zakujanai

Chapter 13 now.

Did I actually just witness a tragic death scene, complete with sentimental flashback
for a car
? This game is hilarious, the sooner I wrap this up the better.

Jennipeg

Cheers man, very helpful.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know the answers to any of this either. I had to ask the thread.

I'm at the end of chapter 13, and to be honest I haven't played in a couple of days and I don't really feel the urge to. I'm pretty much at the end and I can't be bothered to finish it. This has never happened with a FF game before. Shows what I think of the plot, or lack of plot.

Chapter 13 now.

Did I actually just witness a tragic death scene, complete with sentimental flashback
for a car
? This game is hilarious, the sooner I wrap this up the better.

In fairness, that is more to do with
Regis
. The person Noctis should have been crying about all along.

Finished up, around 51 hrs, will continue to do some side stuff, has that Kingdom Hearts feel for combat for sure, personally I wish it were more like FF 12 but I really enjoyed. If I had to score I would give a 8.5,

Curious, did anyone like 13/13-2 better, I didn't but would like to know.

Dimmle

I did and they don't, at least they didn't for me... unless you have to trigger something specific for this to happen like a hunt?

Well, I completed the caverns during the story and returned in postgame. I'm not sure if that affects anything.

Jennipeg

Finished up, around 51 hrs, will continue to do some side stuff, has that Kingdom Hearts feel for combat for sure, personally I wish it were more like FF 12 but I really enjoyed. If I had to score I would give a 8.5,

Better than XV?

At this point i'd say I enjoyed XIII better yeah. My opinion of this game has sunk very low, and it gets worse each time I play it. I haven't played in a few days and i'm fine with that.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well, I completed the caverns during the story and returned in postgame. I'm not sure if that affects anything.

I did the same. No enemies are spawning in the area I need them to (the part with the ladder).

If anyone has any ideas about this I'd really appreciate it.

All that's left to do for the platinum now is defeat
Adamantoise

I'm level 84 currently, should I try it or try to level up a bit more? How long of a fight am I realistically looking at here?

If anybody has any tips or strategies for this battle that would be awesome.

All that's left to do for the platinum now is defeat
Adamantoise

I'm level 84 currently, should I try it or try to level up a bit more? How long of a fight am I realistically looking at here?

If anybody has any tips or strategies for this battle that would be awesome.

Level 99 might speed stuff up a little if you have the increased strength ascension stuff. Eat food that guarantees all crits, equip all strength stuff (including outfit), and use the crossblades from the quests.

zakujanai

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know the answers to any of this either. I had to ask the thread.

I'm at the end of chapter 13, and to be honest I haven't played in a couple of days and I don't really feel the urge to. I'm pretty much at the end and I can't be bothered to finish it. This has never happened with a FF game before. Shows what I think of the plot, or lack of plot.

In fairness, that is more to do with
Regis
. The person Noctis should have been crying about all along.

This is why I'm trying to maintain the momentum. I had fun in the open world parts in spite of the story so it'd be nice to be able to finish.

I get what that scene was realty all about but I honestly have more attachment to the car than to
Regis
, at least the car has been in the game.

Jennipeg

This is why I'm trying to maintain the momentum. I had fun in the open world parts in spite of the story so it'd be nice to be able to finish.

I get what that scene was realty all about but I honestly have more attachment to the car than to
Regis
, at least the car has been in the game.

I've been building up XP, and I just need to go to the rest spot that gives 3X XP. I will be ready for the final boss then. I do want to finish it as i'm getting Last Guardian for Christmas, I don't like starting a new game while I'm still working on another. One more push should do it. I've heard good things about the ending so hopefully I will finish on a positive note.

Yeah I can't blame you for preferring the car lol. I was just relieved to see Noctis emote about
his father, his angst about Luna felt really misplaced since he seemed to forget his father pretty quickly. I found it bizarre to be honest.

Wagram

Yes. I liked both XIII and XIII-2 more. They're more cohesive experiences.

I liked the XIII trilogy just fine, but XV is so much better.

Ricker

I am out of here...too many people with big untagged spoilers,I swear it seems like some do it on purpose...omg did I just witness the death of...etc etc....smh.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
About the sidequest A Meat Most Magnificent and the catoblepas item needed. Is it automatic or I must break specific parts to get it? thx

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I liked the XIII trilogy just fine, but XV is so much better.

I'm conflicted about this, for how low budget LR is I think it did alot of things better than XV (level design and BS over everything else). FFXV is probably better than XIII overall but I'm not sure is better than its sequels. It's definitely something I have to think about when all is said and done.

Top Bottom