• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Zakalwe

Banned
True but this tech is for all weapons and add so much more to Noctis combat capabilities. Not just for dodging bullets.
Check it out: Passive Blinking

I though to too. I made a save and compared stats. There is a difference but not a huge amount.

Never actually had that happen yet

Neat video. I've been doing this for a while now, it's aspects of the combat like this that aren't explained that cause many of the "combat is clunky/cannot flow" type comments.

coopolon

About two hours in. I like everything except the combat...Combat feels really hectic, even with wait mode in. I can't even see anything with so many things moving at the same time, like I leterally cannot see my character or who I am attacking.

It's much better when just fighting one bad guy.

Question: does the road trip AP still trigger when you fast travel, or only when your actually sit through the drive?

Edit: also, any penalty for easy mode? I imagine I'll stick with normal, but just wondering in case I ever hit a wall.

If I leave
costlemark
and save, will it keep the progress I've made in the cubes?

Really don't wanna replay this if I die or lose progress cos of a glitch or something

Spent the afternoon watching Kingsglaive, and actually really liked it. Did not expect that hah. Picked up XV in the eu psn sale, just need to watch brotherhood while it downloads now haha.

LordKasual

Banned
I've been working on the combat non-stop and now that I've finally beaten the game. I can start making the tutorial videos. I found this back when the game came out but wanted to wait until I beat the game and to see if it would be "patched out" in the December update. But I've found some tech so that people can do consistent blinks with minimal effort. This allows for some serious combat depth especially for air combat, buffering, dodges and more.
60wQHTT.gif

I'll post the tutorial once it done :)

The 2 most significant skills in this game are definitely Infinite Airstep and Impervious.

Impervious is such a significant skill that on my next playthrough i'm probably going to rush it. The one thing that took hardest to get used to in FFXV is a lack of a tech roll / aerial recovery when getting knocked down, like in Kingdom Hearts or DMC. Now that I finally have it endgame, the combat feels so much smoother. When you get knocked down so often, it takes control from you and I can see why people think the combat is clunky as a result. But with Impervious, you have control of Noctis 100% of the time UNLESS the attack results in Danger state. (Which then increases the importance of defense/HP once you have the skill)

If you're playing endgame, everyone needs to get Impervious ASAP. Seriously. They should have made this a low-level skill that only heals like 25/50% of the damage taken, and made the 333AP version just recover 100% like it does now. Hopefully if they ever release a "Final Mix" of FFXV they'll do that.

otapnam

If I leave
costlemark
and save, will it keep the progress I've made in the cubes?

Really don't wanna replay this if I die or lose progress cos of a glitch or something

Lol I did an extra lap and it spawned 3 red giants and a Naga. Good thing ramuh saved me. Good ol' ramuh

Just pause and put your ps4 on rest mode

Clockwork

About two hours in. I like everything except the combat...Combat feels really hectic, even with wait mode in. I can't even see anything with so many things moving at the same time, like I leterally cannot see my character or who I am attacking.

This is me.

Like I said previously I have been out of the FF universe for a while but I much prefer the turn based battle systems used in older JRPGs than this real time garbage.

Maybe I am just too old for this shit.

Lol I did an extra lap and it spawned 3 red giants and a Naga. Good thing ramuh saved me. Good ol' ramuh

Just pause and put your ps4 on rest mode
Finished it, used a guide to get straight to the boss lol

Same thing happened to me including the Ramuh save, was burning through my good items in that fight

Massive xp boost though. Might go back to fight the 4 if I need xp

Zakalwe

Banned
The 2 most significant skills in this game are definitely Infinite Airstep and Impervious.

Impervious is such a significant skill that on my next playthrough i'm probably going to rush it. The one thing that took hardest to get used to in FFXV is a lack of a tech roll / aerial recovery when getting knocked down, like in Kingdom Hearts or DMC. Now that I finally have it endgame, the combat feels so much smoother. When you get knocked down so often, it takes control from you and I can see why people think the combat is clunky as a result. But with Impervious, you have control of Noctis 100% of the time UNLESS the attack results in Danger state. (Which then increases the importance of defense/HP once you have the skill)

If you're playing endgame, everyone needs to get Impervious ASAP. Seriously. They should have made this a low-level skill that only heals like 25/50% of the damage taken, and made the 333AP version just recover 100% like it does now. Hopefully if they ever release a "Final Mix" of FFXV they'll do that.

Good post and great suggestion.

Impervious - or rather the mechanic as you suggest - should absolutely be made more prominent, it's an essential part of making the combat flow.

Wow grinding from 75-99 was surprisingly easy, didn't time it or anything but I'd say it took no more than an hour. No clue if I did it optimally or whatever but it worked for me, I did:
Saved all of my EXP boosting spell stuff over the course of the game, made spells out of them, ate the 100% EXP boost food in Altasia, did a hunt in Altasia, entered the fight, cast a spell, left battle zone, repeat. Then slept in 3x hotel. 3 of my party members had Moogle Charms

Level 99 doesn't feel that special to be honest. I don't have all of the stat boosting Ascension stuff maxed out, but it just feels pretty "meh" overall. I'll probably take a break for a bit then come back to do super bosses / dungeons / rare weapons.

wmlk

I think Final Fantasy XV's given me a deeper appreciation for rest areas along the freeway lol. I'm at one right now and just realized it.

Vic_Viper

Question about how the nil-experience band works:

So you can wear it before camping and it won't tally your XP? Can I go to a hotel later and still get all the XP from before? It doesn't just stop you from getting XP altogether?

rataven

Question about how the nil-experience band works:

So you can wear it before camping and it won't tally your XP? Can I go to a hotel later and still get all the XP from before? It doesn't just stop you from getting XP altogether?

You'll keep earning experience just as you always have, you just can't cash it in and consequently level up when you have the accessory on. It'll accumulate until you take it off.

zakujanai

Still trudging through chapter 13, just got a
sword back

The whole thing with
Ravus
perfectly encapsulates the problems with the story for me. They appear in approximately 30 seconds of story throughout the entire game and then suddenly
I find him dead.
I read some newspapers that explained why this came about but the fact I never at all connected with the character before now and that every single important aspect regarding them occurs off screen only for me to read a little blue box about it perfectly sums up the entire story of this game, it's all such an after thought.

Do I have much longer to endure? Man I can't wait for Yakuza 0 now.

zakujanai

An XV themed version of this would be a perfect example of marketing synergy.

But I can't decide whether Aranea, Iris, Shiva or Cidney would be the best fit.

Surely Gladiolus so he could tell you all about the ultimate flavour experience of cup noodles.

Tenrius

It's interesting that quite a few people even in this thread seems to be strongly disliking the game, even on the last few pages of this thread. Personally, I'm pretty much blown away as it hits all the right spot for me. Of course, I'm just 25 hours in and haven't made much progress into the main story, but I have a decent idea of what to expect.

Dimmle

I think the game is great in what it achieves while simultaneously recognizing and bemoaning where it fails, sometimes spectacularly.

Toth

TIL FFXV is a flop because it's the best selling console game in Japan this year but didn't sell all of its initial shipment. Pack it up folks.

Is there any place in the open-world where I can still have fun fights at level 67, or am I limited to dungeons now? My best memories of this game are when I first arrived in the Cleigne region and had enjoyable, drawn-out battles against crabs and giraffes while the fantastic battle theme played in the background. Now it feels like trips in the open world are a chore, and from what I've explored, there aren't really any (normal) enemies that don't die in a couple warp-strikes. Am I looking in the wrong places, or is there just a lack of challenging normal encounters out there?

iFirez

I honestly hate Costlemark, the end puzzle with the cubes is the worst - I've had to fight off hordes of enemies in a room
3-4 times now. I'll finally get to the boss, one day.

Dimmle

Is there any place in the open-world where I can still have fun fights at level 67, or am I limited to dungeons now? My best memories of this game are when I first arrived in the Cleigne region and had enjoyable, drawn-out battles against crabs and giraffes while the fantastic battle theme played in the background. Now it feels like trips in the open world are a chore, and from what I've explored, there aren't really any (normal) enemies that don't die in a couple warp-strikes. Am I looking in the wrong places, or is there just a lack of challenging normal encounters out there?
Try touching down on the secret landing strip north of the volcano region's rest stop.

Also hunts!

Neat video. I've been doing this for a while now, it's aspects of the combat like this that aren't explained that cause many of the "combat is clunky/cannot flow" type comments.
The combat is awesome. I'm thinking of doing a NeoGAF CMV for this game much like we did for DMC4:SE.

Damn I will have to look into that more. Will do now!

An XV themed version of this would be a perfect example of marketing synergy.

But I can't decide whether Aranea, Iris, Shiva or Cidney would be the best fit.

You know you said Cidney right?

jchung55

So I just reached chapter 9 and I have some major questions about the plot and I was wondering if I'm dumb and missed something or its just not written well.

Why does the gang still trust Ardyn to get the missing ore for the ship knowing he's the chancellor of the empire?

Why do they trust Arenea enough to go into a cave with her if she just tried to murder them a couple days ago? Also, is her character just "mercenary leader"?

That "brotherhood" speech by Cid. I'm assuming him and Cor were Regis's bros back in the day and he wants Noctis to know how important bros are but that speech seemed... Kind of awkward? Everyone's just standing around and nothing really warranted it.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Ok I'm finally done the game, but before I continue I want to say this first.

Fuck Castlemark Tower. Screw that dungeon. I thought all four cubes were "trials" and had to beat the bombarment of enemies 4 times before proceeding. Not fun.

Anyway, FFXV is up there as one of my favorite final fantasy games (1, 2, 4). Its story is unfortunately not its strong points but the character writing and exploring the world immensely made up for the story's shortcomings.

One thing that bothers me, is it me or should most of the optional dungeon be mandatory?
At the very least, getting all 10 crystal weapons should be a requirement in continuing the story since they made such a big deal about it. It felt weird when we would just get 5 of them and said "Yup good enough, continue".

rataven

Chapter 8ish spoiler....

Yooo some guy named
Tony just creeped up on me at like 2 in the morning when I was out harvesting some carrots for Iris haha. He's apparently a restauranteur......by day. Crazy carrot obsessed person by night. Was he just hiding in the bushes waiting for me? lol

Jinroh

Yeah that's crazy. The guys owns restaurants and he stays next to a small garden 24/7 for a few carrots. It's the kind of details that break immersion in a game.

Ok I'm finally done the game, but before I continue I want to say this first.

Fuck Castlemark Tower. Screw that dungeon. I thought all four cubes were "trials" and had to beat the bombarment of enemies 4 times before proceeding. Not fun.

Anyway, FFXV is up there as one of my favorite final fantasy games (1, 2, 4). Its story is unfortunately not its strong points but the character writing and exploring the world immensely made up for the story's shortcomings.

One thing that bothers me, is it me or should most of the optional dungeon be mandatory?
At the very least, getting all 10 crystal weapons should be a requirement in continuing the story since they made such a big deal about it. It felt weird when we would just get 5 of them and said "Yup good enough, continue".

Yeah, some of the sidequest dungeons could have easily been mandatory. Granted, I like that there are a good number of unique, optional areas (stuff like like the Gelnika and the Ancient Forest in FFVII or the Deep Sea Lab in VIII are some of my favorite FF sidequests to draw comparison to other titles), but some of them could have definitely been a part of the main game.

Qurupeke

I'm about 5 hours in the game and I'm somehow still on Hammerhead. The game is impressive, the landscapes rival Uncharted 4 and this is an open world game! Just wow. So many things to do and so many places to visit, and the majority of the map isn't even unlocked yet.I also found my first dungeon, though I had to abandon it because the boss was overleveled. lol

So far so good.

GeeTeeCee

Is there ever a point where travelling at night becomes less of a pain? I don't use the car because a daemon will inevitably spin out the car and prevent me from getting back into it safely. I'm level 30 (at Chapter 3) and was pleased when I was finally able to fight amd beat an Iron Giant... only for the game to start spawning Red Giants and Tonberrys far beyond my level.

Zemm

I finally completed chapter 1 after like 3 hours, what a slog and what a terrible way to open the game. MMO like fetch quests being the worst part of it, an uninteresting setting being the second worst. Hopefully chapter 2 isn't as boring, it started to pick up at the end so I have a bit of hope.

Randolph quest line is really good in post game and sounds like what you want. Good rewards too.

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there ever a point where travelling at night becomes less of a pain? I don't use the car because a daemon will inevitably spin out the car and prevent me from getting back into it safely. I'm level 30 (at Chapter 3) and was pleased when I was finally able to fight amd beat an Iron Giant... only for the game to start spawning Red Giants and Tonberrys far beyond my level.

Yes.

You can get headlights that prevent spawns in the road. Plus you get powerful enough to farm night time daemons if you want.

BOTEC

I pressed the button to take off in the car, as it was ascending it hit a lamp post and crashed and burned. Game over. I ain't even mad, this game is silly.

Is there a break damage limit for Noctis? Feel like magic would do a lot more damage.
Yes. You have to craft magic with a certain item. I'll put it in spoilers just in case
Combine Adamantite with Fire to get Flare, with Ice to get Freeze and with Thunder to get Electon.
. These are Limit Break spells.

HeeHo

Wow, chapter 13 is so tedious and annoying so far.

Gotta say, it almost soured me on the entire game. It seems like they were going for an effect where chapter 13 is so bad that chapter 14 seems even greater.

Thankfully chapter 14 makes it seem like it was worth it.

Top Bottom