• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

So I started this game yesterday. So far so good, but is there any decent sidequest guide/listing that lists them by chapter in which they become available? I want to at least do all the sidequests, but I'm pretty sure I've skipped at least a couple (or, way more than a couple).

Also, how worried should I be about being underleveled? I'm lvl 17 at the start of chapter 3 but I'm not sure if that's something I should worry about.

Side quests appear as big question marks on the map aside from a few hide-and-seek ones scattered about. Zero are missable.

You literally have zero chance of being under leveled unless you are using the nix xp ring or running from every fight and intentionally not leveling up. Level 17 should get you all the way through chapter 9 with ease.

Fireblend

Banned
Side quests appear as big question marks on the map aside from a few hide-and-seek ones scattered about. Zero are missable.

You literally have zero chance of being under leveled unless you are using the nix xp ring and intentionally not leveling up. Level 17 should get you all the way through chapter 9 with ease.

Ah, huh. I swore I found a quest (the one about getting the wax for the Regalia) walking around the gas station at Hammerhead without it being shown on the map before. Same for some guys with broken down cars in the road.

If I don't care about customizing the Regalia (I love the default look, honestly), can I safely sell the items used for paint?

I suppose I'm wondering this: Is there an actual gameplay reason to customize the Regalia outside of the upgrades (headlights and the like)?

Ladekabel

After getting my presents and eating with the family I fought the Adamantoise.

Holy shit that fight was awful! Not because it is long but because the targeting is all over the place. A few times I went half around the thing with warp-strikes. And Noctis didn't want to start an attack-chain when holding down a button.

In the end I concentrated on one spot on its leg. Whacked it, when ready I used Armiger to get my chain up for more damageand immediately used Overwhelm with the bow. Every shot >1000 damage that way. Fight was under an hour for me that way.

Ferr986

If I don't care about customizing the Regalia (I love the default look, honestly), can I safely sell the items used for paint?

I suppose I'm wondering this: Is there an actual gameplay reason to customize the Regalia outside of the upgrades (headlights and the like)?

Nope, you're never forced to do any Regalia customization.

Also, all the items can be re-obtained again anyways.

entremet

Just started this game. Never played demos or watched trailers. All I can say so far is that the game is very wacky.

It really seems it should've been a PC game given the tiny text in the HUD. Anyone know if that can be adjusted?

And the waypoints and all that makes it feel very weird for a FF game. It's a great QoL thing, but this doesn't fell like a FF game.

I watched the mediocre CGI film, so I'm more into the story thanks to that.

It's still to early to judge the game, but this is different!

Just started this game. Never played demos or watched trailers. All I can say so far is that the game is very wacky.

It really seems it should've been a PC game given the tiny text in the HUD. Anyone know if that can be adjusted?

And the waypoints and all that makes it feel very weird for a FF game. It's a great QoL thing, but this doesn't fell like a FF game.

what's wacky?

and tiny text? everything is pretty good for me..

there are no options for the HUD stuff but tabata said a patch in the future he HOPES to add will allow text size changes

Are you my wife?

She said exactly the same things for her first impressions. (Yes, she played all of the PS1 & PS2 FF games).

entremet

what's wacky?

and tiny text? everything is pretty good for me..

there are no options for the HUD stuff but tabata said a patch in the future he HOPES to add will allow text size changes

Just the tone is wacky. The food stuff. Cindy lmao etc. They whole package. Granted I'm early. I'm very compelled to play it and it seems better than FFXIII already.

And the game does embrace its wackiness. But this seems more like spinoff, which was the original conceit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Btw if you get the "increase strength by the number of levels gained" stat at level 99, you will get 99 strength. No need to get that stat early. The description is kinda stupid.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
For those playing on XB1, how blurry is the game? I have a PS4, but I am hoping this will get a "Scorpio" patch at a later time.

I played through the main game only on XB1. I wanted to do the side content, but couldn't stand looking at the blurry graphics any longer. I bought the PS4 version for my regular PS4 and am playing through it again doing all the side content. The XB1 version looks so bad the PS4 version seems like a generational leap over it.

Hum... fellas, idiotic question here: How do you call
Umbra?
I've finished the game and save manually, I go back to that save point and leads me to moments before the final battle, I tried to leave but I can't and
I don't see how I can summon her.

Edit: Nevermind, googled it. :p

Ourobolus

Banned
Btw if you get the "increase strength by the number of levels gained" stat at level 99, you will get 99 strength. No need to get that stat early. The description is kinda stupid.
I believe it is scaled to whatever level you are, so getting it at 40 increases it by 40, and when you hit 41, etc., you'll get the extra points.

Zakalwe

Banned

It gives you any levels previously earned and scales up as you continue to level.

I just completed the tutorial and realised I think I've made a huge mistake getting this game. The combat system is bananas, I have absolutely no idea what is happening, there's way too many button combinations and things to remember, for me I just ended up mashing and hold everything and getting through it. I couldn't even remember which button was attack half the time and couldn't parry at all except during the actual sub-tutorial on how to parry.

D:

entremet

I just completed the tutorial and realised I think I've made a huge mistake getting this game. The combat system is bananas, I have absolutely no idea what is happening, there's way too many button combinations and things to remember, for me I just ended up mashing and hold everything and getting through it. I couldn't even remember which button was attack half the time and couldn't parry at all except during the actual sub-tutorial on how to parry.

D:

LOL. You're not alone there, bud. I just mash so far lol.

It's not very fun either. Hopefully, it opens up. Doesn't give me confidence in FFVIIr.

Ingeniero

51 hours in, less than a week, holy shit!!!
Chapter 9.
I'm level 60, I have some AP points stored, which are some must have end game Ascension abilities?

I was thinking of getting the 3x accessories thingy...

What's the one that let's you over 9999 dmg?

entremet

No he means team. Just because it's SE(the publisher) doesn't mean it's the same ppl working on every game

SE Japan has multiple different teams with competently different staff working on separate projects.

Oh I'm aware they do. I just haven't jived with any SE action rpg game since the SNES Mana series. I found the KH games way too mashy for my tastes and that's the same director we're talking about here. Let's not forget that Versus started as a Nomura game too. Tabata only finished XV.

To me mainline FF has always been about more menu driven systems and I was one of the ones initially skeptical at the action focus of XV. But we're veering off topic.

Just installed patch 1.03 and noticed it introduced fucking black bars all around the screen. Fist time I see an issue like this happening in a Ps4 game. And changing the display setting area from the video options makes the game more blurry and messes the other games so it's not a real solution. Hope Square fixes this bullshit soon because it worked fine before the patch.

entremet

Just installed patch 1.03 and noticed it introduced fucking black bars all around the screen. Fist time I see an issue like this happening in a Ps4 game. And changing the display setting area from the video options makes the game more blurry and messes the other games so it's not a real solution. Hope Square fixes this bullshit soon because it worked fine before the patch.

It wasn't like that before? I thought that was weird. But I started playing yesterday.

Permanently A

D:

I've gotten a lot better at it simply by prioritizing holding dodge (L1) instead of attacking. It just works out much better to attack only when the enemy is staggered. You can also try the turn based Wait mode gameplay if it doesn't click.

LordKasual

Banned

D:

You....couldn't remember which button was attack?

Combat system in FFXV is fantastic. It's not on the level of DMC or Bayonetta, but after you get the hang of it combat is just plain fun.

Wont be surprised if there will be a few videos here and there on how good looking fighting can be too. Hell some of Sunhi's gifs shows what can be done if you properly use the mechanics the devs give you.

Clockwork

D:

LOL. You're not alone there, bud. I just mash so far lol.

It's not very fun either. Hopefully, it opens up. Doesn't give me confidence in FFVIIr.

ATB is sorely missed.

:(

entremet

Combat system in FFXV is fantastic. It's not on the level of DMC or Bayonetta, but after you get the hang of it combat is just plain fun.

Wont be surprised if there will be a few videos here and there on how good looking fighting can be too. Hell some of Sunhi's gifs shows what can be done if you properly use the mechanics the devs give you.

I'm not ruling it out. I'm sure it gets better. I see the potential. I just hope it's not a FFXIII slogfest until it get interesting combat wise.

XIII's combat system was amazing at high levels and when fighting challenging encounters like the hunts. However, its best elements were not exposed until later.

I'm not ruling it out. I'm sure it gets better. I see the potential. I just hope it's not a FFXIII slogfest until it get interesting combat wise.

XIII's combat system was amazing at high levels and when fighting challenging encounters like the hunts. However, its best elements were not exposed until later.

You do need to open up a few grids for it to start getting fantastic though. Also thankfully, there are a lot of moves that gives you invincibility frames that you can exploit.

I love it to death. Sometimes I get bored and spam bow + Ignis' Overwhelm, but honestly I find a few good combos can actually take down an enemy faster than it.

Gothos

So, question about frame pacing on PS4 Pro. Is it really that bad in Pro version that I will be forced to play "lite" version?

So, question about frame pacing on PS4 Pro. Is it really that bad in Pro version that I will be forced to play "lite" version?

I tested out both versions, i prefer the lite mode, but by no stretch of the imagination is the high mode "unplayable". Bloodborne has the same issue and it didnt stop people from loving that game and giving it 10s.

coopolon

I've gotten a lot better at it simply by prioritizing holding dodge (L1) instead of attacking. It just works out much better to attack only when the enemy is staggered. You can also try the turn based Wait mode gameplay if it doesn't click.

Isn't l1 techniques? I've seen it mentioned as dodge a few times and played through the tutorials and don't remember anything about dodging, just using square for block and blink.

Koozek

You mean director? Both games are made by SE in Japan. Anyways, I don't expect FFVIIr until 2018 at least given Nomura's track record.
Lol, you know that all FFs aren't made by the same people at SE, right? SE has several teams of hundreds of people. BD1 is the FFXIII/Mobius team, BD2 the FFXV/Type-0 team, BD5 is the FFXII/FFXIV (and most likely the FFXVI) team etc.

FFVIIR is mainly developed by CyberConnect2, who make the Naruto games and have a lot of experience with action games, and it's overseen by some key members from BD1 like Kitase, and Nomura. APZonerunner had interesting posts on Mognet on this recently:
APZonerunner said:

APZonerunner said:

Top Bottom