• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Just got
Ramuh

Question for those further. Does the game ever get.... I guess harder?

Sure I've had lots of hard battles and been out into critical mode 101 times as this stage but it's extremely easy to recover from it. I haven't had one game over screen yet.
As long as you stock up, you'll never really be in threat of a game over. The challenge stems from you trying to be as efficient and stylish as possible, IMO. Every fight, I would try to aim for no damage taken, which was very challenging. Unfortunately, this is more of a self-imposed challenge, and I think the developers should have capped on how many potions you can take into a dungeon.

BadHand

Just got
Ramuh

Sure I've had lots of hard battles and been out into critical mode 101 times as this stage but it's extremely easy to recover from it. I haven't had one game over screen yet.

I played the entire game on normal and didn't once see the "game over screen". I was very disappointed, there is very little need to strategize on boss fights... just make sure you're recommended level and have a bunch of potions available at all times.

I'm hoping for a hard mode and a cool-down timer on items (like magic) or at least don't let it pause the fighting.

Wagram

Just got
Ramuh

No. The game is incredibly easy for the most part. The final boss is laughable.

Side note: I really can't stand 1 hunt at a time. It's killing my motivation to want to do end game hunts.

hohoXD123

Just got
Ramuh

It's a very cheese-able game. Basically, if you have an endless amount of hi-potions, some elixers and phoenix downs, you're basically not going to get a game over unless if you're very underlevelled. Couple that with having access to -aga spells from the beginning and you're essentially in god mode for most of the game with the right preparation.

Even if you somehow manage to fuck up, you have the summons to save your ass a lot of the time.

Zakalwe

Banned
The difficulty in this game is acing the ratings, killing stuff as efficiently as possible, and avoiding chugging potions by playing skillfully.

It's not the most difficult game, but it is very satisfying when you find a rhythm and score A+s across the board.

If you're saying "It's too easy because you can just chug potions" you're showing that you're not playing well enough. Perhaps because you don't find it engaging/enjoy it at all, but the game being forgiving with death doesn't mean there isn't any challenge.

Ishida

Banned
If you're saying "It's too easy because you can just chug potions" you're showing that you're not playing well enough. Perhaps because you don't find it engaging/enjoy it at all, but the game being forgiving with death doesn't mean there isn't any challenge.

Yeah, I agree with this. If you are burning through your healing inventory, then you are simply sucking hard at the game.

The difficulty in this game is acing the ratings, killing stuff as efficiently as possible, and avoiding chugging potions by playing skillfully.

It's not the most difficult game, but it is very satisfying when you find a rhythm and score A+s across the board.

I completely agree. Most FF games really have a number of fights you can count on one hand that can't be won by hitting attack and heal in reactive sequence, but for most of them, and FFXV in particular, you're going to have a miserable victory doing this.
FFXV is like other action games in that you shouldn't just want to win, but you should want to look good doing it.

My
Final Fight with Phase 1 Ardyn
was amazing, as i was able to continuously use the warp-strike, point warp, counters and weapon switching to make it look incredible, like the best parts of Kingsglaive, both for me and my brother who was watching.

Or you could mash O and Hi-Elixir. You'l get mostly the same victory result but i know which i'd enjoy more.

I always seem to talk about the same thing when I pop into the thread but hard locking doesn't seem to work anymore?

R1 + R3 under control type A did the trick, but now all I get is the map no matter what :/ Were there any changes made to the control schemes? I haven't found any thorough patch notes to read.

EDIT: never mind, I got it working. i can't believe I'm still switching control types just to settle on one. My last handful of posts have literally all been about control setup problems, I'm soooo afraid I'm going to eventually give up on this game for not getting it

Ugh the sidequests are just so bad. Maybe Ill just skip all of them :( I just dread doing them and dread is not a feeling I'm looking for when playing a video game.

hohoXD123

I completely agree. Most FF games really have a number of fights you can count on one hand that can't be won by hitting attack and heal in reactive sequence, but for most of them, and FFXV in particular, you're going to have a miserable victory doing this.
FFXV is like other action games in that you shouldn't just want to win, but you should want to look good doing it.

My
Final Fight with Phase 1 Ardyn
was amazing, as i was able to continuously use the warp-strike, point warp, counters and weapon switching to make it look incredible, like the best parts of Kingsglaive, both for me and my brother who was watching.

Or you could mash O and Hi-Elixir. You'l get mostly the same victory result but i know which i'd enjoy more.

The trouble is that these restrictions have to be self-imposed. Ideally a game would give a range of difficulty settings to give the right balance between challenge and ease, rather than relying on the player to do that.

BadHand

I disagree. I enjoyed the game very much, but I'm not going to set artificial boundaries for myself to make the game harder. A+ ratings are easy to achieve, I have had some really rough fights where I at least get 2 A+ ratings and it surprises me.

The game would have been perfect if the item usage had a cool-down timer, preventing overuse. But if I'm about to die I'm not going to resist hitting R2 and drinking a potion (apparently I'm not playing the game it was meant to be played).

orioto

Good Art™
So i played again, many hours. I'm beginning to appreciate some of it or at least the usual rpg stuffs begins to do its effect.

It's surprising how irregular is the difficulty of the game. it's somewhat nice and also frustrating.

Like, the magitek guys coming from ships. Even when you level up pretty much, they'll still kill you in no time if you're fighting them straight forward it seems.

i'm generally surprised by how sometimes your life jauge stays full for some fights and suddenly, you don't really notice it and you're like 'what ? what happened i'm at zero already..."

But that's more of my problem with the game (and maybe modern game in general i'm too old for this shit). I can't really keep track of all the visual infos in a fight.

Now what's frustrating is that it makes your leveling kinda useless as enemy level is really variable so it's not like you'll win some levels and notice you can kill enemies moer easily in a zone.

But i'm still early, chapter 2, level 18. Maybe i'm too impatient.

Also what the fuck with sidequests they give you and you cross the whole map to realize you can't go where you're meant to go...

Meliora

I lovehate
Pitioss
. I think I was near the end but I had to stop or lose my mind. Kept rolling off that same edge arrrgh.

The trouble is that these restrictions have to be self-imposed. Ideally a game would give a range of difficulty settings to give the right balance between challenge and ease, rather than relying on the player to do that.

In a way, but i have a hard time putting myself in the shoes of someone who would willingly choose to mash their way through the hard fights. And the game is (sort of) balanced around the way it handles items, since in many harder fights if you play "poorly" you and your team will instantly eat shit and at that point in the fight it's either normal mode "use item" or a theoretical hard mode "instant lights out".

In my opinion, if FFXV was way harsher with items, i think it would be incredibly hard. Probably harder than Dark Souls.

Adaren

I mean, let's not kid ourselves. Parrying and Warp Strikes aren't exactly difficult either. If anything, getting triple A+ happens more often when I'm playing more defensively and just sneaking around fishing for Link Strikes.

Like, the magitek guys coming from ships. Even when you level up pretty much, they'll still kill you in no time if you're fighting them straight forward it seems.

Yeah, when my Magitek ships got their first "upgrade" (higher level spawns) I was getting wrecked for a bit by them to. Trying to fight them head-on was a death sentence if you ever let go of Dodge, and they drain MP like crazy since there are so many. My NPC buddies were dead mere seconds into the fight.

Thankfully, lol magic.

Zakalwe

Banned
I disagree. I enjoyed the game very much, but I'm not going to set artificial boundaries for myself to make the game harder. A+ ratings are easy to achieve, I have had some really rough fights where I at least get 2 A+ ratings and it surprises me.

The game would have been perfect if the item usage had a cool-down timer, preventing overuse. But if I'm about to die I'm not going to resist hitting R2 and drinking a potion (apparently I'm not playing the game it was meant to be played).

Playing efficiently and skillfully consistently and not getting hit to negate potion spam is not "artificial". It's 'playing well'.

You use potions too often? You're not playing well.

I get you might not find it engaging enough to bother or whatever, but this fact remains.

SougoXIII

Playing efficiently and skillfully consistently and not getting hit to negate potion spam is not "artificial". It's 'playing well'.

I get you might not find it engaging enough to bother or whatever, but this fact remains.

While I agree with this, I do note that I spend the majority of my potions healing up the team mates cause the AI want to block everything with their face.

Zakalwe

Banned
While I agree with this, I do note that I spend the majority of my potions healing up the team mates cause the AI want to block everything with their face.

You can't avoid them taking damage, but managing their damage is part of the system.

/You/ can avoid/negate damage, and some attacks that would hit multiple targets can be nullified entirely if Noctis manages to dodge

Timing techs, link ups, Armiger, accessing the health kits and unlocking actions/attacks for the bros, all these things allow you to massively reduce and efficiently manage damage.

Using these things you can make no damage runs often, and if you're keeping that level of play up the times you absolutely need potions (you cannot avoid damage entirely) becomes much less and the potion system itself becomes much less prominent.

So... I just remembered that vita can remote play on ps4... Holy crap does this game look good on the little oled while the kids are hogging the tv. Stamina band is kind of necessary, but it's a small price to pay.

orioto

Good Art™
I mean, let's not kid ourselves. Parrying and Warp Strikes aren't exactly difficult either. If anything, getting triple A+ happens more often when I'm playing more defensively and just sneaking around fishing for Link Strikes.

Yeah, when my Magitek ships got their first "upgrade" (higher level spawns) I was getting wrecked for a bit by them to. Trying to fight them head-on was a death sentence if you ever let go of Dodge, and they drain MP like crazy since there are so many. My NPC buddies were dead mere seconds into the fight.

Thankfully, lol magic.

Yeah i'm not using magic yet. I made the mistake of giving them to gladiolus but then he's just throwing it randomly and burn everyone -_-

Also i'm cheap and i don't like to use things when they are limited.

Zakalwe

Banned

Yeh, isn't difficult, but playing consistently well and making the combat look and more importantly /feel/ good is a challenge as to achieve this you need to do things like avoid damage whenever you can, set up links, one techs, use magic, etc...

This will naturally give you high scores, which is a bonus (especially with the new AP ratings accessories).

Yeah, Pitioss was designed for Super Meat Boy tight controls lol. Amazing dungeon and better plattforming than any modern Uncharted and Tomb Raider combined. FFXV has pretty good controls but Noct sure tends to take a step too many which is a problem in Pitioss.

Best FF dungeon ever.

SougoXIII

You can't avoid them taking damage, but managing their damage is part of the system.

/You/ can avoid/negate damage, and some attacks that would hit multiple targets can be nullified entirely if Noctis manages to dodge

Timing techs, link ups, Armiger, accessing the health kits and unlocking actions/attacks for the bros, all these things allow you to massively reduce and efficiently manage damage.

Using these things you can make no damage runs often, and if you're keeping that level of play up the times you absolutely need potions (you cannot avoid damage entirely) becomes much less and the potion system itself becomes much less prominent.

Well yeah the problem is that Notics have too many tool to reduce damage while the bros have zero. You have dodge roll, phasing and warp strike to pretty much negate all damage coming to you while I'm dropping 30+ potions to keep the 3 team mates up when fighting high level mob.

BadHand

I'm not using potions too often. My gripe is that you can avoid death at any point by using various items. You can also avoid any negative status ailments in the same way. Megalixers, megapotions and megaphoenixes are utterly useless when you can insta-pause the game and drink 4 Potions/Elixirs/Phoenix downs.

This has nothing to do with not "playing well", (though I'm not sure what this means to you as I've already pointed out getting A+ is an easy feat.) It's about items not being implemented well enough into a battle system that rewards efficiency and skill.

Adaren

Limited healing items would really have made the game more fun. It already has half the trapping of a "survival" game; it would be cool if you actually had to worry about managing healing items while exploring.

Lightning Returns did it a few years back, so the concept isn't foreign to Square Enix. Ironically, I feel like Lightning Returns (hot mess that it is) actually executed a lot of its gameplay concepts better than FFXV. Limited healing, better tells on attacks, more responsive defense, better balance of action and strategy, side quests that were more integrated into the world, better hunt system.

I'm at a point right before Chapter 9 and I'm wondering if I should just take off or stick around in the open world for a bit.

I'm getting the feeling I'm WAY overleveled for the story at this point (in the 50s).

Game finished! (The main story at least)

I could say a lot of bad things about this game, but as a gamer I feel this is one of those those titles where I can "give it a pass", and not only because of fact that this game somehow still exists even after it´s tormentous development cycle (whatever the reasons might have been for that); but also because despite all of it´s shortcomings in story and gameplay FFXV still gave me a fair share of great/cool moments, mainly through the amazing production values (summons are some of the most visually impressive stuff I have ever seen in a game, and the OST is simply superb).

And the ending was nothing short of greatness, easily among the best that medium has to offer, beautifully realized and incredibly satisfying. It makes the whole experience (again, with it´s ups and downs) totally worth it.

It was my first FF game ever, and it has definitely earned a spot in my Top 10 for this year and forever in my memories.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm not using potions too often. My gripe is that you can avoid death at any point by using various items. You can also avoid any negative status ailments in the same way. Megalixers, megapotions and megaphoenixes are utterly useless when you can insta-pause the game and drink 4 Potions/Elixirs/Phoenix downs.

This has nothing to do with not "playing well", (though I'm not sure what this means to you as I've already pointed out getting A+ is an easy feat.) It's about items not being implemented well enough into a battle system that rewards efficiency and skill.

You can limit your potion usage simply by playing well. That challenge exists whether they actually limit them in the game or not.

Mindset, that's all. It works for me, I appreciate it doesn't for you.

BadHand

You can limit your potion usage simply by playing well. That challenge exists whether they actually limit them in the game or not.

Mindset, that's all. It works for me, I appreciate it doesn't for you.

Change the record. Using potions does not mean you're playing badly. I've already pointed out I don't spam items, but the way in which they exist make the other mechanics meaningless.

They could have placed a heavier reliance on things like heal-casts, accessories with regen and status ailment protection, element defence etc... it already exists in the game.

What your suggesting is that I not use items when I need to, just so I can replay and implement the various strategies above. That sounds like artficial difficulty to me.

Can someone link me to the thread where it details the plans for upcoming patches? I unexpectedly got this as a gift yesterday and I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting a few months before playing.

J3ffro

A buddy of mine was going to loan it to me when he finished, but I got impatient and with the PSN flash sale I went ahead and picked it up. I did the tutorials last night, started the game and got to the point where we dropped the car off to get repaired.

Then I watched Kingsglaive. Holy shit, that was great. I watched the Brotherhood shorts a few weeks ago, this is easily the most psyched I've been for a game in a while. I understand the gripe about separating the supplemental stuff, but if you take the time to watch it all, seems like it really increases the amount of depth in the world and with the characters.

AEREC

Do saves from the physical version work with the digital version?

I thought I would be done with this game after the story but it looks like one I'll keep coming back to.

Zakalwe

Banned
Change the record. Using potions does not mean you're playing badly. I've already pointed out I don't spam items, but the way in which they exist make the other mechanics meaningless.

They could have placed a heavier reliance on things like heal-casts, accessories with regen and status ailment protection, element defence etc... it already exists in the game.

What your suggesting is that I not use items when I need to, just so I can replay and implement the various strategies above. That sounds like artficial difficulty to me.

And I explained why I consider it a mindset thing. Much like the rest of the game, there are refinements that could be made but there are ways to play around a lot of it.

And I'm not suggesting you don't use items, I'm saying you can play so you don't need to use them often enough for it to be an annoyance.

I've explained what I meant by playing well, you're free to disagree. I find this satisfying, I can understand if you don't.

Jake2by4

Yeah! And just forget about turning him around, he's gonna do his little three step dance off the edge then.

This lol. Wouldn't mind adlc dungeon. If they could make one that uses warp that would be cool.

The overscan stuff dissapeared but the black bars are still there, changing the setting on the PS4 menu doesn't change anything and nothing happens when i select display area on the game either ��

Rebooted my ps4 in safe mode fixed this.

Do saves from the physical version work with the digital version?

I thought I would be done with this game after the story but it looks like one I'll keep coming back to.

It will make you delete and real download and install the game, not sure about the save file.

Astral Dog

The overscan stuff dissapeared but the black bars are still there, changing the setting on the PS4 menu doesn't change anything and nothing happens when i select display area on the game either 🙀

Top Bottom