• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

A buddy of mine was going to loan it to me when he finished, but I got impatient and with the PSN flash sale I went ahead and picked it up. I did the tutorials last night, started the game and got to the point where we dropped the car off to get repaired.

Then I watched Kingsglaive. Holy shit, that was great. I watched the Brotherhood shorts a few weeks ago, this is easily the most psyched I've been for a game in a while. I understand the gripe about separating the supplemental stuff, but if you take the time to watch it all, seems like it really increases the amount of depth in the world and with the characters.

The only problem i have with Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, which i both enjoy, is that they do the most good for characters that are already fine in the game (Bros, Ardyn,), while offering lessfor many characters that suffer in the game like Luna, Gentiana Ravus ,Aldercapt and the ancient Lucii. It also introduces and removes Glauca and Nyx, who are great characters who i really think should have also been in the game.

Qurupeke

The sidequests are taking a toll on me. The fact that the bounties are spread out or that there are certain long quest chains that are basically "Go to a place and bring me that item" is beyond than annoying.

Ishida

Banned
Never really understood people pushing themselves through things they don't like. Side quests are, for the most part, 100% optional. If you have no fun with them, why doing them at all?

"Because I need the trophies/Platinum", you might say.

Why? Isn't gaming about having fun and enjoying the game? Pushing yourself to complete something you dislike that much will only make you overly bitter and cynical about it.

"But I already spent money on this, I HAVE to complete everything the game has." No, you don't. You can sell the game and at least recover some of the money you spent on it.

The side quests are trash? Ignore them. Finish the main story and keep the game if you liked it, or sell it if you disliked it.

To each its own, I guess, but I will never understand the "because I need to complete it" mentality. I think it's the unfortunate side effect of the addition of Trophies/Achievements to gaming.

Sinistral

Finished the main story last night... Decided to sleep on it before posting anything.

What a disappointing mess. A disjointed, forced and underdeveloped story, with gameplay and systems that are just not fun or good.

As someone who started playing these games on the SNES (FF2/4), I am saddened. The Final Fantasy brand has finally lost it's lustre for me. Questioning the relevancy of Square Enix as a developer. Not to be confused by Square Enix the publisher. After being burned by XIII, XIV 1.0, and now XV, I do wonder where XVI will go but, the faith is completely depleted.

I could say a lot more, but it's mostly been said. I can just say that I hated more than I liked. Off to play other games.

Never really understood people pushing themselves through things they don't like. Side quests are, for the most part, 100% optional. If you have no fun with them, why doing them at all?

Why? Isn't gaming about having fun and enjoying the game? Pushing yourself to complete something you dislike that much will only make you overly bitter and cynical about it.

"But I already spent money on this, I HAVE to complete everything the game has." No, you don't. You can sell the game and at least recover some of the money you spent on it.

The side quests are trash? Ignore them. Finish the main story and keep the game if you liked it, or sell it if you disliked it.

To each its own, I guess, but I will never understand the "because I need to complete it" mentality. I think it's the unfortunate side effect of the addition of Trophies/Achievements to gaming.

I finished the game in 35hs with more than 20hs of side quest, recommended lvl for final story mission is 45, I finished it at lvl 43. I guess I needed all those side quests.

Either way, taking those missions away, a FF with less than 15hs of story is a disgrace in my book.

Ishida

Banned
I finished the game in 35hs with more than 20hs of side quest, recommended lvl for final story mission is 45, I finished it at lvl 43. I guess I needed all those side quests.

Either way, taking those missions away, a FF with less than 15hs of story is a disgrace in my book.

You don't need the side quests to level up. Also it's clear that most of the people are just doing them for the sake of completion. That's what my post is about.

Are Zu Beaks harder to farm since the update? I read a rumor on Reddit that the new paid item is required to get them to drop with any consistency. I just farmed him 5 times and all I got was the meat.

You don't need the side quests to level up. Also it's clear that most of the people are just doing them for the sake of completion. That's what my post is about.

Oh well, not my case. I do like hunts (but I hate thet you can only take one at a time). The rest is lame but I do like the world and the combat is a beatufil mess so it does entertain me. I would prefer much better side quest though but it's not unplayable.

Toth

I noticed the same thing from a lot of people playing FF13. If you don't like it, why spend 120 hours or so platinuming it.

Final Fantasy fans have always tried to complete all of the post game stuff in the series. I know I have. The addition of trophies is more of an incentive to some to do them. The secret bosses, ultimate weapons, and side quest are pretty weak in this game. At least for me they were. I still played through some of that just to see what else the game had to offer since the main quest was pretty disappointing.

Ishida

Banned
Oh well, not my case. I do like hunts (but I hate thet you can only take one at a time). The rest is lame but I do like the world and the combat is a beatufil mess so it does entertain me. I would prefer much better side quest though but it's not unplayable.

I agree with you on that. I do the quests not because the context of the quest is interesting (It's not, most of the time), but because I love the combat system, and I love to be surprised at the monsters the game is going to throw at me (The blacksmith quests at Lestallum were fucking awesome) and I love to traverse the beautiful world and hearing the funny banter between the bros, and to test and experiment with the combat system.

This is the reason I mainly ignore Dino's quests. They are boring as all hell. If I'm not having fun with a series of quests (Again, like Dino's) I simply don't do them.

I find the concept of doing a completely optional quest that you hate, just for the sake of complaining about it, kind of useless really.

I noticed the same thing from a lot of people playing FF13. If you don't like it, why spend 120 hours or so platinuming it.

Exactly. I guess games these days are not really about enjoying them, but completing them at all costs. Kind of sad, really.

Astral Dog

Never understood this mentality tbh, for example i could not get why somebody said once he spent 100 + hours on Hyrule Warriors only enjoying the first 20 but somehow had to keep playing until everything was complete.

Like, i understand everybody likes to complete things, i do but you already got 20 good hours out of a game why 80 annoying ones? Something doesn't add up

I agree with you on that. I do the quests not because the context of the quest is interesting (It's not, most of the time), but because I love the combat system, and I love to be surprised at the monsters the game is going to throw at me (The blacksmith quests at Lestallum were fucking awesome) and I love to traverse the beautiful world and hearing the funny banter between the bros, and to test and experiment with the combat system.

This is the reason I mainly ignore Dino's quests. They are boring as all hell. If I'm not having fun with a series of quests (Again, like Dino's) I simply don't do them.

I find the concept of doing a completely optional quest that you hate, just for the sake of complaining about it, kind of useless really.

Exactly. I guess games these days are not really about enjoying them, but completing them at all costs. Kind of sad, really.

Most of the time I travel on the Regalia and tune the soundtrack of the whole franchise, can't get enough of that.

Ishida

Banned
Never understood this mentality tbh, for example i could not get why somebody said once he spent 100 + hours on Hyrule Warriors only enjoying the first 20 but somehow had to keep playing until everything was complete.

Like, i understand everybody likes to complete things, i do but you already got 20 good hours out of a game why 80 annoying ones? Something doesn't add up

Yep, exactly. But perhaps we are just old men yelling at clouds? Maybe this is how the younger generations do their gaming? At least for me, gaming is all about having fun and being entertained. If a game doesn't do this, I don't play it. If a segment of a game I like has an optional boring section, I don't do it.

Most of the time I travel on the Regalia and tune the soundtrack of the whole franchise, can't get enough of that.

That's also a real pleasure!

Voliko

I think the music selection in the car was a little weak. Too many battle themes and only the most popular tracks. To be expected I suppose.

Because FF has always had a big focus on the main story. Side stuff was organically integrated and felt like bonus events. In FF15 the "side" quests literally make up the majority of the game. Trying to fill the void of a meager main story I guess. I did end up selling the game after finishing the main story though. Don't see a reason to play something I don't enjoy.

Ishida

Banned
Because FF has always had a big focus on the main story. Side stuff was organically integrated and felt like bonus events. In FF15 the "side" quests literally make up the majority of the game. Trying to fill the void of a meager main story I guess. I did end up selling the game after finishing the main story though. Don't see a reason to play something I don't enjoy.

Well then you agree with me.

Qurupeke

Tbh, I didn't even know Side Quests in this would be that bad. I really like doing Sidequests because it's a motive to explore new areas and find hidden stuff, while most of the time it means that you don't really need to grind randomly. It's just a matter of how I'm used to play, I just don't want to run through the game, I want to get the most out of it. FF XV, unfortunately, seems to have a ton of them and in my 20 hours, only 1-2 of them were cool. Fuck dog tags, fuck frogs, fuck Takka, fuck all those vendors that can't do their job and they need me for everything. Even the Bounty hunts are more interesting, because most of the time you meet new enemies through them.

What's the max Hunt rank? Also how many level 99 hunts are there besides the adamantoise? Just did the one for the
general
and am itching to do more.

Ishida

Banned
Tbh, I didn't even know Side Quests in this would be that bad. I really like doing Sidequests because it's a motive to explore new areas and find hidden stuff, while most of the time it means that you don't really need to grind randomly. It's just a matter of how I'm used to play, I just don't want to run through the game, I want to get the most out of it. FF XV, unfortunately, seems to have a ton of them and in my 20 hours, only 1-2 of them were cool. Fuck dog tags, fuck frogs, fuck Takka, fuck all those vendors that can't do their job and they need me for everything. Even the Bounty hunts are more interesting, because most of the time you meet new enemies through them.

This is the exact same mentality I don't understand.

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying it's "wrong" or anything, just that I don't get it. "I'm doing them because I need to complete it". It's about completion, not about having a good time.

If you think the Takka quest, the frog quests, the vendors quests are crap, then simply skip them. You are not forced to do them. Forcing yourself to do stuff you find boring for whatever reason will only make you cynical and even more negative about the game than normal. And you know it will happen, but you still do it.

If you are ignoring those particular quests, then you are not in the group of people I'm referring to, btw.

This is the reason I sold The Witcher 3 to a friend even after pre-ordering it and being hyped about it. I found that I was just not having fun. I was not entertained and found it a chore to play, so I sold it instead of forcing myself to play and becoming overly cynical. This is the reason you won't see me in any TW3 threads complaining about it.

LordKasual

Banned

Yeah. I played this game for 123 hours (no guides, no nothing) and managed to unlock and defeat all the endgame bosses and dungeons.

I didn't bother with any of those sidequests and i'm only like hunter rank 5. By the time i got to endgame I had no problem selling items for money and EXP is too easy to come by with Moogle Charm / Expericast / Just playing the dungeons. So i ignored them.

Yeah i'm not using magic yet. I made the mistake of giving them to gladiolus but then he's just throwing it randomly and burn everyone -_-

Also i'm cheap and i don't like to use things when they are limited.

Magic isn't as limited as you think. Element points are far apart but you probably have tons of monster parts lying around to make it stronger.

If you're running low on elements, equip Engine Blade or a weapon that absorbs elements.

You don't have to dump 99 elements into a spell. Just put like 10 or 15 and throw a few items in. I didn't realize until after i beat the game that you can infuse more than one of the same item into a spell, increasing potency, effect, and sometimes even the number of casts. An effect like Dual/Quint cast will always make it worth the damage.

Minamu

Anyone playing with the PlayStation Gold Headphones? Should I have the game settings set to home theater to get the best virtual surround sound?

ViciousDS

Banned
Finally got the platinum. Took me 75 hours, will break for a few days then do the sealed dungeons.

I'm stuck on fishing and survival. Fishing is easy......survival I might just have to do a rubber band trick and switch the channel to something else for an hour or two

Unreal

Ww3je8h.gif

Majmun

Why does the menu have its own music??? It's so boring and disrupts the atmosphere.

I hope a patch removes the theme.

Gbraga

Why does the menu have its own music??? It's so boring and disrupts the atmosphere.

I hope a patch removes the theme.

I like it, the only think I'd change is to make the overworld theme take priority over it, like the battle theme, that doesn't stop playing when you open the menu to change skills or weapons.

JayEH

I'm stuck on fishing and survival. Fishing is easy......survival I might just have to do a rubber band trick and switch the channel to something else for an hour or two

I had gotten survival up to 8 until it was the last thing I needed to do...then I did the rubber band trick.

Majmun

I like it, the only think I'd change is to make the overworld theme take priority over it, like the battle theme, that doesn't stop playing when you open the menu to change skills or weapons.

That's why I don't like it. It disrupts the very rare overworld themes. I wait with opening the menu when a theme is playing, otherwise it's gone.

Astral Dog

This game is truly gorgepus (some areas look a bit simple but still ok) , and despite framepacing i think it looks "smoother" than Bloodborne, the last one i played, it was more noticeable there.

This game is truly gorgepus (some areas look a bit simple but still ok) , and despite framepacing i think it looks "smoother" than Bloodborne, the last one i played, it was more noticeable there.

The game mostly runs 30 fps even if the pacing is off. Bloodbourne also has bad frame drops.

Top Bottom