• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

valkyre

I know people will shit on me for this but, as a product, FFXIII is a better game than FFXV.

FFXIII tells a complete story, you may hate the story and the characters but everything is fleshed out and as a product it has strong and complete production values.

FFXV on the other hand is a god damned mess.

It feels as if it is 2 games stitched together, one of them is a Monster Hunter MMO Final Fantasy filled with fetch quests in a barren open world full of lifeless characters, and the other part is a completely fucked up linear FFXIII version of FFXV, minus the actual part of making SENSE whatsoever.

By contrast FFXIII tells its story in great detail, it has a thing called "character development", a concrete lore and a much better pace overall.

FFXV takes some bold steps indeed but SE is completely unable to deliver on so many fronts. Just look at some baffling mistakes here... that fucking camera.... you create a decent action battle system and then you throw that god awful worst camera ever to appear in a fucking videogame ever... smh really...

So, yeah, burn me at the stake all you want, I consider FFXIII a much better and most importantly "honest" product, than FFXV.

MilkBeard

I know people will shit on me for this but, as a product, FFXIII is a better game than FFXV.

FFXIII tells a complete story, you may hate the story and the characters but everything is fleshed out and as a product it has strong and complete production values.

It feels as if it is 2 games stitched together, one of them is a Monster Hunter MMO Final Fantasy filled with fetch quests in a barren open world full of lifeless characters, and the other part is a completely fucked up linear FFXIII version of FFXV, minus the actual part of making SENSE whatsoever.

By contrast FFXIII tells its story in great detail, it has a thing called "character development", a concrete lore and a much better pace overall.

FFXV takes some bold steps indeed but SE is completely unable to deliver on so many fronts. Just look at some baffling mistakes here... that fucking camera.... you create a decent action battle system and then you throw that god awful worst camera ever to appear in a fucking videogame ever... smh really...

So, yeah, burn me at the stake all you want, I consider FFXIII a much better and most importantly "honest" product, than FFXV.

I only have a few words here as a response. Sometimes a game is more than the sum of its parts. Games that have big flaws can be way more fun than those that are competently put together, just from the fact of the systems and stories they tell are more fun or more interesting.

i.e. comparing a "polished turd" to a "flawed gem."

I only have a few words here as a response. Sometimes a game is more than the sum of its parts. Games that have big flaws can be way more fun than those that are competently put together, just from the fact of the systems and stories they tell are more fun or more interesting.

Yep. FFXIII is like a 5-course vegan meal. It looks nice and complete, but it's still vegan in the end.

FFXV is a big, juicy steak that's slightly underseasoned with no veggies or potatoes on the side. But it's still a nice, juicy steak.

valkyre

Yeah what you say is true, apart from the characterizations of "polished turd" and "flawed gem", which subjectively they probably hold true for you, but in my case the terms would be completely different...

Also, I have to note that the camera thing? It was my mistake of mentioning it in my post because it looks as if it is my main complaint, although in reality is just a blemish in comparison to the rest of the problems. Like the lack of a concrete story, of actual character development, of actual Lore, and overall a story that makes sense and is presented decently.

Its fun going after statistical rewards in games, but I am also expecting to receive more worthwhile rewards after completing quests, other than a +32 in strength...

MilkBeard

Yeah what you say is true, apart from the characterizations of "polished turd" and "flawed gem", which subjectively they probably hold true for you, but in my case the terms would be completely different...

Also, I have to note that the camera thing? It was my mistake of mentioning it in my post because it looks as if it is my main complaint, although in reality is just a blemish in comparison to the rest of the problems.

The truth is...opinions are opinions, and some people will like XIII more. It's not a terrible game (in my opinion), and has high production values.

Ochibi

Yep. FFXIII is like a 5-course vegan meal. It looks nice and complete, but it's still vegan in the end.

FFXV is a big, juicy steak that's slightly underseasoned with no veggies or potatoes on the side. But it's still a nice, juicy steak.

Or

FFXV is a wonderful burger without its bread but you can still enjoy the meat and vegetables

Minamu

Gondola Marina : Cygillan Sea Bass, Lucinian Sea Bass, Tide Grouper

Vannath Coast: Giant Trevally, Galdin Trevally, Murk GRouper, GLowing Barrelfish

Crestholm Reservoir : Horned Bluegill, Lucian Catfish, Alstor Bass, Golden Catfish

Neeglyss Pond : Horned Bluegill, Chipped Bluegill, Lucian Catfish, Alstor Bass, Crag Barramundi, King Catfish

Swainsmere: Horned Bluegill, Chipped Bluegill, Lucian Catfish, Alstor Bass

Malacchi Pond: Alstor Bass, Lucian Catfish, Snakehead, Garnet SNakehead

Forgotten Pool : Horned Bluegill, Chipped Bluegill, Rainbow Trout

Daurell Spring: Snakehead, Garnet Snakehead, Jade Snakehead, Alstor Bass, Phoenix Bass, Pink Jade Gar

River Wennath: Cherrycomb Trout, Rainbow Trout, Callatein Brook Trout, Chrome Rainbow Trout

Rachsia Bridge: Chipped Bluegill, ZIpper Barramundi, Alstor Bass, Nebula Salmon

The Maidenwater: Rainbow Trout, Maiden Brook Trout, Nebula Salmon

Caem Shore: Striped Barramundi, Tide Grouper, Dark Allural Sea Bass

The Vesperpool - East Bank: Glimmering Bluegill, Phoenix Bass, Crag Barramundi, Golden Catfish, Sapphire Snakehead, Noble Arapaima

The Vesperpool - West Bank: Glimmering Bluegill, Fan Bluegill, Golden Catfish, Garnet Snakehead, Sapphire Snakehead, Vesper Gar

Myrlwood Falls: Cleigne Brown Trout, Platinum Myrltrout, Maiden Brook Trout, Callatein Brook Trout, Chrome Rainbow Trout
Amazing, thanks ^^

theofficefan99

I 100% agree with you.

Technically post game is chapter 15.

More chapters or dlc can't fix the story in my opinion, the actual chapters needs to be much more fleshed out and some things should be redone (regarding the story), it's my main complain, I can forgive everything else but the story... no, I wonder what the detractors of FFXII think about this game because that one has a hell of a story in comparison.

MilkBeard

i liked ffxiii and i like ffxv and i think they are both good games

shrug
They are, but for wildly different reasons with their own share of flaws. Thus the divide continues.

I feel like XV shares some similarities with VIII in a lot of ways: it has great concepts, but the story was rushed and missing some important polish to make it perfect. Both games had potential to be best FF, but weaknesses crippled them from reaching that point.

XIII is a sound game, but the story is kind of a snooze, and the characters are not really all that relatable. The gameplay is limited to doing pretty much one thing for a long time, so if you want something else, you are shit out of luck.

My take is that XIII is a highly polished average game, while XV is (much like VIII) a highly flawed game that shows flashes of brilliance.

Personally I take the later, all things considered.

I have a feeling that I should have watched the movie and anime shorts. Because I'm on chapter 3? and I must admit I'm not that invested in the story. Does it pick up, or should I just watch the movie and anime to get an understanding?

MilkBeard

I have a feeling that I should have watched the movie and anime shorts. Because I'm on chapter 3? and I must admit I'm not that invested in the story. Does it pick up, or should I just watch the movie and anime to get an understanding?

One of the issues with the game is that the events in Kingsglaive are not in the game, so if you haven't watched it, you likely won't feel invested. The anime is not necessary, but it helps to give further characterization for the main characters.

Spman2099

The bolded points here are absolutely correct.

This part is dead wrong. It may tell the story in great detail, though some of those details are hazy at times, but the character development is stilted, the lore is incomprehensible (unless you delve into buried text), and the story is awfully paced. These are all the things that ultimately drag the game down and earn it so much scorn (especially the pacing, which makes the first fifteen hours of the game truly agonizing). All the polish in the world can't save a melodramatic story, with unlikable characters, and an overly convoluted, nonsensical plot. Everything about Final Fantasy XIII's story essentially needed to be scrapped.

One of the issues with the game is that the events in Kingsglaive are not in the game, so if you haven't watched it, you likely won't feel invested. The anime is not necessary, but it helps to give further characterization for the main characters.

Yeah for some reason I just thought that those events happened sometime before the game starts, not during the game timeline. So it was weird that some major event was happening, yet I see only a clip of it.

Can someone suggest a fast way to gain some lvls before the last fight? I'm in Hammerhead at the moment.

Have to go pick up that Moogle Charm first I guess.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? Cuz I'm pretty sure I've thrown a Fire into the middle of a big ol man pile and had Prompto, Ignis, and Gladiolus all immediately lose 60% of their hp and be on fire. I could be wrong though.
Not sure about 60% depends on their stats I guess But they do receive damage, ice,fire,lightning, they even have the status effect next to their names

valkyre

The bolded points here are absolutely correct.

This part is dead wrong. It may tell the story in great detail, though some of those details are hazy at times, but the character development is stilted, the lore is incomprehensible (unless you delve into buried text), and the story is awfully paced. These are all the things that ultimately drag the game down and earn it so much scorn.

Dont get me wrong. XIII did have its narrative shortcomings, it was far from being a perfect game. But compared to XV? To me it felt like a rollercoaster really...

Yes some of the cast is downright obnoxious like Hope, but at least there is decent effort in trying to explore each character in depth. It may not succeed always sure, but its much better than XV. In XV the only character development takes place in the god damned anime...

There is literally close to 0 moments in game that you explore the characters via a worthwhile dialogue a discussion... something.

All there is is just banter silly jokes and some very awkward dramatic moments that completely fail to engage me. This is not character development at all and if Tabata thinks it is, he better look at some other works.

I will disagree with you on the part that XIII's lore is incomprehensible. Looked pretty spot on to me for the story it was centered around.

The game does drag on though I agree. But nowhere near the incredibly worthless process that is FFXV questing... "go find frogs!" you think its gonna lead somewhere, that this idiotic waste of your time looking for frogs is gonna lead to something, and then you realize its just that... nothing more. Here have a new trinket for this questline.

To me, this is borderline insulting. An absolute disrespect of my time. I would gladly replay FFXIII with all its shortcomings instead of this.

Also XIII had something XV never even quite reaches... it feel like a Final Fantasy game in terms of artistic design. You do visit some absolutely beautiful and fantastical locations. From crystalized forests to frozen cities, to cities in the air to jungles etc. In FFXV you are exploring pretty much an earth like planet that has a few weird looking rocks and a city that is 90% a copy of Venice. Even the god damned gondola drivers are dressed the exact same as Venice - Italy...

Turns out they took that "fantasy based on reality" thing way too far.

I do not consider FFXIII a great FF game, but I consider it a much more coherent FF game than FFXV.

FFXV's world doesnt even make sense. You have Eos that has 2 cities a small town and a crazy road network filled with gas stations... that just circles around. You look at the road network and you feel that if they spent so much money to open tunnels through mountains and build huge bridges, the roads would lead somewhere, only to find out they are just a leisure drive in circle with just a bunch of gas stations. No village, no small settlement, just abandoned farms without any human presence whatsoever.

Honestly its a pretty depressing world to live in. At least Pulse was barren for a reason.

Anyway i am off. I really wanted to like this game, but the nonesensical 2nd part of it, as well as the completely worthless questing killed it for me.

cackhyena

Haven't even considered this until now, and it may be a dumb question, but if I don't have a Royal Arm equipped, can I still use the Armiger Attack? Does that meter still build?

Haven't even considered this until now, and it may be a dumb question, but if I don't have a Royal Arm equipped, can I still use the Armiger Attack? Does that meter still build?
Yes, it works with regular weapons as well.

I'll add to this. Is there any algorithm to getting summons to appear? Or is it completely random? I've gotten the prompt in random hunts I've gone on but not really anywhere else. Is there anything I should be doing to get them to appear?

MilkBeard

Honestly it all boils down to opinion, as I disagree with many of your points. For example, I would say that, despite having some fantastical locations, FF XIII feels the most removed from actually 'feeling' like a Final Fantasy game. You are essentially walking through corridors, hallways that are designed in themepark variety.

XV on the other hand are actually explorable locations (to varying degrees of course, some of them not, sadly), and the aesthetic really reminds me of Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I would argue the opposite in that XV feels more like a proper Final Fantasy, at least the style of which the series maintained in the Playstation era.

Also, even with XIII's higher production, the game limits you to basically one mode of playing, which is to walk halways, fight battles, and watch cutscenes until the very end of the game. Players are given much less choice, which even the most cinematic Final Fantasies in the past have given the illusion of some kind of choice and freedom.

If you like XIII's core delivery of gameplay, then that is good, but I found myself getting tired of the game after playing for an hour. The game had a serious problem with pacing because of its limited scope.

It's actually quite curious to look at both games' flaws and strengths, and how, in my opinion, one can give a better experience because it is more fun. I think personally that XV is more successful as a 'game' because of this.

EDIT: Also, nitpicking XV's world is a bit silly, as you could go and nitpick the world of every Final Fantasy and say that it doesn't make sense. They all consist of seperate cities/towns with people standing in them, all the size of villages compared to real life, with only one or no roads leading between them, despite having things like cars, etc.

Can someone suggest a fast way to gain some lvls before the last fight? I'm in Hammerhead at the moment.

Have to go pick up that Moogle Charm first I guess.

Eat xp buffing good, put on moogle charms, make as many experiacasts as you can, use them on an enemy with lots of hp like bandersnatch north of hammerhead and kujata near the highway in duscae, once you get about 1 million xp go to the 3x xp hotel in altissia.

zarnold56

So I am at the end of chapter 13 I believe. Is there a reason to finish up all the hunts and such before ending the game? I know there is a ton of stuff post game to do, but that is one of my issues with the game. I wish I could do everything before beating the game, as once the story is over I never feel like I need to play the game more.

So I am at the end of chapter 13 I believe. Is there a reason to finish up all the hunts and such before ending the game? I know there is a ton of stuff post game to do, but that is one of my issues with the game. I wish I could do everything before beating the game, as once the story is over I never feel like I need to play the game more.

You can go do all that stuff after beating the game.

Spman2099

]

The game does drag on though I agree. But nowhere near the incredibly worthless process that is FFXV questing... "go find frogs!" you think its gonna lead somewhere, that this idiotic waste of your time looking for frogs is gonna lead to something, and then you realize its just that... nothing more. Here have a new trinket for this questline.

To me, this is borderline insulting. An absolute disrespect of my time. I would gladly replay FFXIII with all its shortcomings instead of this.

I don't think our opinions are going to align at all here; however, I do think you are correct about the quests. They feel like MMO quests from back in the day, which isn't a good thing. It is especially galling after playing The Witcher 3.

I don't think Final Fantasy XV is perfect. There are a lot of problems. Like, A LOT of problems. However, at the end of the day, it was something I enjoyed. It also makes me feel good about Final Fantasy again.

Also, I thought the little pieces of dialogue in FFXV did a nice job of establishing the dynamics of the protagonist's friendship. I enjoyed watching them interact with each other. Though, admittedly, I agree that we didn't see much growth.

valkyre

Honestly it all boils down to opinion, as I disagree with many of your points. For example, I would say that, despite having some fantastical locations, FF XIII feels the most removed from actually 'feeling' like a Final Fantasy game. You are essentially walking through corridors, hallways that are designed in themepark variety.

XV on the other hand are actually explorable locations (to varying degrees of course, some of them not, sadly), and the aesthetic really reminds me of Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I would argue the opposite in that XV feels more like a proper Final Fantasy, at least the style of which the series maintained in the Playstation era.

Also, even with XIII's higher production, the game limits you to basically one mode of playing, which is to walk halways, fight battles, and watch cutscenes until the very end of the game. Players are given much less choice, which even the most cinematic Final Fantasies in the past have given the illusion of some kind of choice and freedom.

If you like XIII's core delivery of gameplay, then that is good, but I found myself getting tired of the game after playing for an hour. The game had a serious problem with pacing because of its limited scope.

It's actually quite curious to look at both games' flaws and strengths, and how, in my opinion, one can give a better experience because it is more fun. I think personally that XV is more successful as a 'game' because of this.

EDIT: Also, nitpicking XV's world is a bit silly, as you could go and nitpick the world of every Final Fantasy and say that it doesn't make sense. They all consist of seperate cities/towns with people standing in them, all the size of villages compared to real life, with only one or no roads leading between them, despite having things like cars, etc.

I will agree that in terms of gameplay mechanics FFXIII is very limited. No I am not a fan of its extreme linearity, it is the reason why the game does not deserve to be called "great" at all.

But, and there is a big but here (pun intended :D )!

In order for something to be worth exploring it has to be interesting and engaging to me. And FFXV's world is not engaging enough. There are not enough interesting things to see. There are very few landmarks and the entire world as I said doesnt make much sense. Its literally all about gas stations... there are no people around, there are some empty farms, destroyed buildings, a leisure hotel (that looks completely out of place compared to the rest of the world) a big crystal and a volcano. Thats it. Those are FFXV's landmarks.

The rest of the land is just rocks, ponds, trees and endless barren locations. There isnt enough to engage me, to make me want to explore. You get a ton of procurement positions on your map and initially i thought they will lead to something interesting, be it lore-wise or quest-wise. And its just "go there loot item which apparently is dropped on the ground for whatever reason" ...

Even the damn chocobo races are depressing.... not even a single human around to watch the race, something to bring a bit of life in this game... its just you running against one of your friends... yay.

Its not compelling enough for me. It doesnt even make sense.

Of course, this is just my personnal opinion but after investing a lot of time in FFXV in hopes to be in love with the game, I was disappointed... and wanted to vent it out a bit. :/

Toth

Okay Tabata, Christmas is over. It's time to start talking about those improvements and at least some idea of what the DLCs will be about. Letting people know that the less developed NPCs in game would be prominently featured would be a smart move if it's true they are.

Pastry

Banned
I just started chapter 2 and I've been stopping to do all of the side quests and hunts, should I be concerned about being over leveled?

I can imagine eventually I'll stop doing every side quest but I like the hints so I'll probably keep doing all of those.

ch4fx_

SPOILER!! SPOILER!! SPOILER!!
spoiler

The bullshit I went through in Chapter 13 was totally worth it in the end when
the main menu logo comes full circle
...HOOOLYY SHITTTT!!!!

I enjoyed the world/side quests much more than the story itself, but I still THOROUGHLY enjoyed my first Final Fantasy game. I look forward to playing a bit of the post game & hopefully (eventually) unlock the platinum.

I just started chapter 2 and I've been stopping to do all of the side quests and hints, should I be concerned about being over leveled?

I was over leveled the entire time & to me it wasn't an issue. However, I would hold off on side quests until Chapter 3 as you will have a much easier mode of transportation available to you at that point.

Okay Tabata, Christmas is over. It's time to start talking about those improvements and at least some idea of what the DLCs will be about. Letting people know that the less developed NPCs in game would be prominently featured would be a smart move if it's true they are.

For real.
I want to explore the world of ruin with Iris, Cindy and Areiana. I want to find out what happened to the Empire and explore those lands. You can definitely see when they just decided to finish the game.

ViciousDS

Banned
I double dipped already (I feel so bad XD). Bought the Xbox One version over the weekend. Only got to do the combat area last night due to download size.

But.....I'm fairly impressed with what SE did to get it running as good as it does on the xbox.

Totally going for 1000/1000 just like my PS4 plat!

Just started playing... so, uh, how do I run away from a battle? Accidentally encountered a Bandersnatch that is clearly too high of for me to tackle right now.

MilkBeard

Duscae region looks much better than it did in the demo. It feels great the way they implemented it.
Unfortunately, the beginning desert area feels pretty bland and ugly in comparison.

ch4fx_

Just started playing... so, uh, how do I run away from a battle? Accidentally encountered a Bandersnatch that is clearly too high of for me to tackle right now.

There's a circular red reticle on your mini-map, running out of it will end your current battle.

Tsosie

I just started chapter 2 and I've been stopping to do all of the side quests and hunts, should I be concerned about being over leveled?

I can imagine eventually I'll stop doing every side quest but I like the hints so I'll probably keep doing all of those.

You can easily over level the main story content. If that is something you are concerned about then play the main story quests within 5 levels of their suggested level recommendations. However, some people (like myself) enjoy massively out leveling main content. The choice is yours to make. Neither is wrong.

Ferr986

Well, got the Balmung on Steryiff sealed dungeon. I want the Frayer too but I have to bail out, I wasn't prepared enough and I don't see myself reachinf to friggin floor 99 with the items I have.

Sucks because I did read progression doesn't save....

Ishida

Banned

I don't think anyone here will debate you if you claim that XIII is more "polished", but don't you think that's kind of a weird comparison to make?

People should really take out their blurry glasses and go play XIII again to be remembered of just how empty and limited that game was. When you are constantly funneling the player from start to finish with little to no chance for detour, of course the experience will feel more straightforward and less disjointed.

Does XV slip in some aspects? Of course, but just take a minute to appreciate all that this game has in comparison to XIII.

How many towns or settlements with NPC's did XIII have? How many dungeons, especially optional? What about the enemy variety? How many times were you able to ride a Chocobo in XIII? XV not only allows for Chocobo use in plains, forests, swamps, deserts and even the skirt of a volcano, but the Chocobo can also aid you in battle and hell, you can even attack while you are riding it, horse-fighting style.

How much character interaction was there among the XIII cast? Did it feel charming and endearing? Or even fun at all?

How many minigames/distractions/extra activities did XIII have?

Again, people are really, really forgetting how limited in scope XIII was. I enjoyed the game for what it was, and had a great time playing it, but I completely disagree that it captures the feeling of "Final Fantasy" more than XV.

From using the Chocobo in larger parts of the game, to the magnificent enemy design reminiscent of the older SNES games, to the beautiful homages to the Crystal/Prelude theme, to the lighthearted sense of humor, to the towns and settlements inhabited by NPC characters, to the Summons, to the sense of wonder. All of these evoke a more classic Final Fantasy feeling that XIII ever could.

Top Bottom