• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Toth

Hey Guys is XV the worst FF ever and XIII a masterpiece yet?

I've seen millions of posts with a strange positiveness about XIII.

FF cycle in full effect. Lol

On Topic, how do you unlock the ominous doors inside dungeons?

Of course. However, XV is still in the flawed but excellent game phase, just where XIII was back in the day!

Though FFXV is getting a lot of positivity too despite the development hell and that's really nice to see.

Keyouta

I kind of feel like I'm too low level, I'm 24 right now on chapter 5. I wanted to do more quests to level up but it's difficult without the car and not being able to fast travel.

Are any of the blue sidequests worth it? I went into the game thinking it would be like Inquisition where a lot of filler was forgettable but there would be a few good story lines buried in there. After 7 hours in XV it seems like every sidequest colored blue in the quest log is worthless. At best they'll direct you to an interesting place on the map. Any reason not to stick to hunts and the main story from here on?

Hey Guys is XV the worst FF ever and XIII a masterpiece yet?

I've seen millions of posts with a strange positiveness about XIII.

FF cycle in full effect. Lol

Lets meet in the middle and all praise XIII-2!

Ishida

Banned
Ooooh man! I had never seen that cute little cutscene that plays when you rest at the
hideout at Cape Caem!

This game just keeps surprising me with the little details. Can't believe that I have finished the main story already, and I'm still finding out new scenes, places and events.

Thank goodness for FFXV. I was missing stuff like this in the franchise. :)

EDIT: Damn! I also had never been to the top part
of the pier! Just a beautiful vista from the top of the lightouse and one majestic photo with the friends. :D

Formosa

Am I the only person who thinks the
old
Noctis character design is very very bad? I mean come on... His
head
is huge.

This game has its share of FF3 references (still in Chapter 3)
first Cor Leonis' Kikuichimonji and Kotetsu which were a possible pair of weapons that Dark Knights could dual-wield, and now there is an entire volcano dungeon that leads to a nest of eggs at the top of the peak.

Ooooh man! I had never seen that cute little cutscene that plays when you rest at the
hideout at Cape Caem!

This game just keeps surprising me with the little details. Can't believe that I have finished the main story already, and I'm still finding out new scenes, places and events.

Thank goodness for FFXV. I was missing stuff like this in the franchise. :)

EDIT: Damn! I also had never been to the top part
of the pier! Just a beautiful vista from the top of the lightouse and one majestic photo with the friends. :D
Wait, what?
hideout? Pier? Explain, please. :eek:

DPtheGod

Eat xp buffing good, put on moogle charms, make as many experiacasts as you can, use them on an enemy with lots of hp like bandersnatch north of hammerhead and kujata near the highway in duscae, once you get about 1 million xp go to the 3x xp hotel in altissia.

Thanks for this! Expericast only affects the person using the spell, right?

Finally got the platinum today. I ran out of all potions during the adamontoise fight and thought I might have to start all over... then I realized I had like 70 hi-elixirs lol. I was level 75 and that shit still took me well over an hour.

All the talk on here couldn't prepare me for Costlemark. Holy shit is that dungeon trash. My god. Who thought that was a good idea?

Debating whether or not I should do the locked dungeons. I liked the game overall but I'm also glad I'm "done" with it. For now.

cj_iwakura

Rewatched Kingsglaive again with a friend, and a lot of that film still makes no damn sense, but the second act(and the epic treaty signing) is easily my favorite. The finale is just... all out chaos, and not the good kind.

Ishida

Banned
So I'll ask again.

Is it possible to do the Dragoon Jump with Noctis? Or was the skill removed since the Duscae demo?

Also, is there a way to consistently getting the X-Strike link attack with Ignis?

jackdoe

Rewatched Kingsglaive again with a friend, and a lot of that film still makes no damn sense, but the second act(and the epic treaty signing) is easily my favorite. The finale is just... all out chaos, and not the good kind.
You could really tell that the treaty signing was straight up re-purposing CGI from the old Versus stuff; the animation quality had a slightly different look during those particular scenes when compared to the rest of the movie.

So I'll ask again.

Is it possible to do the Dragoon Jump with Noctis? Or was the skill removed since the Duscae demo?

Also, is there a way to consistently getting the X-Strike link attack with Ignis?

I haven't played Episode Duscae and I haven't seen anything about Dragoon Jumps being a standalone skill, but finishers for airstep lance combos resemble Dragoon jumps.

How's vanilla Costlemark Tower? The dungeon before the locked door. Crestholm was easy at my level, but just wondering about Costlemark, since I want to unlock the secret dungeons.

It does feel weirdly cool to be liking XIII now.....god damn, I love Final Fantasy life XD.

You don't have to like XIII, I still think it's terrible. XD

Anyway, this game is still a ton of fun. I'm totally enjoying the "road trip" aspect of it, and the four main characters are pretty likeable to me. I'm like 16 hours in now and have been roaming around doing the every side quest and hunt I can find. I like the Fallout-style random traveling and doing stuff aspect. No, the side quests aren't The Witcher-tier or anything but I enjoy doing them all the same.

I also like that the game pulls no punches and you can easily get laid out by standard enemies if you aren't careful, but you can also pull a win out against something much higher level than you a la Xenoblade Chronicles. I took down a Coeurl that was at like level 35 when I was like level 22 to get materials for the Drain Lance, and it was a pretty thrilling fight.

Storywise, I'm in Chapter 3 when
you meet Iris and she and Noct go around the city. She's super cute and I feel bad for the fact that she's completely screwed when it comes to her giant crush on him. If Luna didn't exist I'd root for her, she's adorable.

Lynx_7

The treaty sign is the scene that makes me sad for Iedolas' underwhelming role in the game.
A potentially cool character from the brief snippets of dialogue between him and Regis that amounted to nothing but a weird man-bat boss. Oh, and there was that one pointless cutscene I guess :I
At least he got a better deal than that bald dude with the red cape.

Spman2099

It does feel weirdly cool to be liking XIII now.....god damn, I love Final Fantasy life XD.

It is still a divisive game, but over time hate fades and people move on. Moreover, people who had previously felt ostracized gather and rally. As an example of this, there is increasingly more support for the Star Wars Prequels online.

Crayon

Hmmm. I just did the fight with
the titan
and it was not good at all.

It was just a total clusterfuck of a piece and made so little sense. :( I'm enjoying the game for the most part but I hope there is not too much more of that sort of thing.

//ARCANUM

Just started this game tonight, about 2.5hrs in, and man, it really is a strange beast. Most of all I'm just surprised by the slow pacing of it. I don't just mean the pacing of the story, but the pacing of EVERYTHING. Dialogue scenes, selecting dialogue choices, rest stops, movement, car driving, etc.

In a day and age of modern video games moving fast fast fast, it's really strange to see a AAA game take such a slow and methodical approach. I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, it's just surprising.

But also - these guys sure are taking their sweet time to get to this wedding lol. Must not be a hard date set for that ;).

edit - and a question: If I kinda just drop doing most sidequests, will I be okay? most of them seem pretty boring, and I'm in it for the story. How about hunts? Do I need to keep doing those? (I've been doing a bunch of them.) For reference - it's taken me 2.5 hrs of gameplay to get to
the beach

Crayon

Just started this game tonight, about 2.5hrs in, and man, it really is a strange beast. Most of all I'm just surprised by the slow pacing of it. I don't just mean the pacing of the story, but the pacing of EVERYTHING. Dialogue scenes, selecting dialogue choices, rest stops, movement, car driving, etc.

In a day and age of modern video games moving fast fast fast, it's really strange to see a AAA game take such a slow and methodical approach. I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, it's just surprising.

But also - these guys sure are taking their sweet time to get to this wedding lol. Must not be a hard date set for that ;).

I noticed that, too. My gf likes it a lot. I actually don't mind it either. I'm about 8 hours or so and most of my enjoyment has been what I would call relaxing. The trouble is, lots of games are relaxing and I don't mind them. I guess with the memory of ff13, I have low standards for this game.

Lynx_7

edit - and a question: If I kinda just drop doing most sidequests, will I be okay? most of them seem pretty boring, and I'm in it for the story. How about hunts? Do I need to keep doing those? (I've been doing a bunch of them.) For reference - it's taken me 2.5 hrs of gameplay to get to
the beach

You don't need to do anything. You can beat the whole game without bothering with any of the side-quests. You do miss out on a bunch of cool dungeons and Royal Arms but you can come back to it at any time, even after beating the game.

What's the earliest you can get to rank 7 in hunting? I'm up to chapter 9 and stuck on 36/40 (rank 6). I've done all the hunts in Altissia. Am I missing some in Lucis or do I have to wait for the story to continue before more become available?

HeeHo

Any tips on killing
adamantoise
? I'm at level 99 but it's taking forever.

Eat a critical meal and only attack his right foot. You want to warp point to the rock closest to his right leg and spam warp strike over and over until you run out of mp and then warp point back and do it all again.

It's a pretty awful fight though. I had whittled him down to less than half hp, maybe even a quarter hp and he ends up blowing me away and I manage to get back but an AP challenge pops up and suddenly I can't target him anymore and then eventually it kicks me out and I have to restart the whole damn fight after 50 mins.

Edgeward

Got the final fishing challenge today and even the Liege of the Lake one too. Got them on the first try tonight. Pretty stressful but fun stuff. Got cooking and fishing to Level 10 so all that's left is one more level for Survival Skill (ugh) and the hidden boss ( ugh ugh)

//ARCANUM

I noticed that, too. My gf likes it a lot. I actually don't mind it either. I'm about 8 hours or so and most of my enjoyment has been what I would call relaxing. The trouble is, lots of games are relaxing and I don't mind them. I guess with the memory of ff13, I have low standards for this game.

Yeah I'm cool with relaxing games, I was just very surprised that FFXV of all games would be in that style.

You don't need to do anything. You can beat the whole game without bothering with any of the side-quests. You do miss out on a bunch of cool dungeons and Royal Arms but you can come back to it at any time, even after beating the game.

Good to know, thank you! Proceeding with story missions only. :) (does the same go for hunts too?)

spidye

Man, the more I play the more I feel frustated about some of the decisions from square enix

Who is Jared? Why should I care for Talcott? Why should I care for anyone for that matter in this game? This is absolutely shameful how story telling and character development is handled in this game.
I don't want to write only negativ things everytime I come here but the most dominant feeling I have playing Ff15 is frustation.

Rappy

Man, the more I play the more I feel frustated about some of the decisions from square enix

Who is Jared? Why should I care for Talcott? Why should I care for anyone for that matter in this game? This is absolutely shameful how story telling and character development is handled in this game.
I don't want to write only negativ things everytime I come here but the most dominant feeling I have playing Ff15 is frustation.
Then stop playing it.
Has anyone else experienced this visual bug with the Ignis link or is it a sign that my PS4 is dying? seems like the artifacts have been getting worse the further I progress in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU40PyBSF1U
It's just a bug/gltich that I don't know what causes it, but I reload/restart usually fixes it.

Mmm...... looks like a gpu getting hot. Maybe it's a glitch but could be your thermal paste.

game has been running for less than an hour, this was happening yesterday during the ignis link but was nowhere near as bad.

It's just a bug/gltich that I don't know what causes it, but I reload/restart usually fixes it.

That's good to know, was worried that it was related to another unrelated issue (bluray drive not recognizing XV disc until hard reset) and that my PS4 might have been dying.

muteki

Got a bunch of time to play over the long weekend/holiday. Haven't beat it yet, but close.

I was feeling pretty positive and optimistic about the whole thing but my opinion on the overall game has really taken a nosedive after I got on that boat.

Caim

Any tips on killing
adamantoise
? I'm at level 99 but it's taking forever.

Can take him down in minutes with the right setup.

Use guaranteed crit food like Golden Tail Soup.

Armiger
can be used to break him and then focus on his neck afterwards to deal the most damage.

If you have the
Zwill Crossblades
, Enchantment tech from Ignis, and a decent stock of spells it will make a big difference.

Top Bottom