• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Gbraga

Does the chocobo boosting food make a difference in races? I can't see how I would be able to beat Iris without the speed increase one.

Dave1988

Hey all, got this for Xmas, what ff movies/vids should I watch before playing to enhance the games story? Thx in advance!

You should watch Final Fantasy XV Brotherhood and Kingsglaive to get more of the backstory. Brotherhood can be viewed for free on YouTube.

Does the chocobo boosting food make a difference in races? I can't see how I would be able to beat Iris without the speed increase one.

It does. After you complete the Chocobo questline from the breeder, you'll get access to a feed that boost all of the bird's stats. Very helpful for the last few races.

SHarris78

Think i made a mistake. I didn't realise that once you accept a certain quest in Altissa there's no way back to the open world to level up and take advantage of the 3.0exp hotel. Have done chapters 9-12 thus far, I suppose now I have to wait to compete the game and then use the hotel?

Oh, I have no clue what's going on story wise but the bit with the
Leviathan / Luna
was epic!

Gbraga

You should watch Final Fantasy XV Brotherhood and Kingsglaive to get more of the backstory. Brotherhood can be viewed for free on YouTube.

It does. After you complete the Chocobo questline from the breeder, you'll get access to a feed that boost all of the bird's stats. Very helpful for the last few races.

Really? Are there more Wiz quests unlocked with story progress? I did all of the ones I could, but I don't think I have this item unlocked in the shop.

Think i made a mistake. I didn't realise that once you accept a certain quest in Altissa there's no way back to the open world to level up and take advantage of the 3.0exp hotel. Have done chapters 9-12 thus far, I suppose now I have to wait to compete the game and then use the hotel?

Leviathan / Luna
was epic!

Get to a rest spot and talk to Umbra. You'll get the option to go back to the open world.

Leviathan / Luna
was epic!

You can almost always use umbra and go back to lucis. Dont worry

Exentryk

Wow, the camera and lock-on points on Adamantoise are a joke. Did the devs even play this?

This game is an absolute waste of time. I hope Tabata doesn't get to make any more FFs.

Wow, the camera and lock-on points on Adamantoise are a joke. Did the devs even play this?

Yeah that fight was complete shit. I like sense of scale but clearly the battle system and the engine wasn't designed to handle such a large enemy. I can't even count how often I clipped inside the boss and it looked like he disappear completely.

Dave1988

Really? Are there more Wiz quests unlocked with story progress? I did all of the ones I could, but I don't think I have this item unlocked in the shop.

Get to a rest spot and talk to Umbra. You'll get the option to go back to the open world.

The last quest from Whiz is retrieving the
black Chocobo egg
. I think it was around that time the feed vendor started selling the green that boosts all the stats.

Yeah that fight was complete shit. I like sense of scale but clearly the battle system and the engine wasn't designed to handle such a large enemy. I can't even count how often I clipped inside the boss and it looked like he disappear completely.

I felt the same way the first time i fought him. But now that i know what to do i can do it in 10 minutes and its alot more fun.

The biggest problem is that you have to manually attack instead of holding O.

Thanks, which one first Brotherhood or Kings?

Deku Tree

Wow it's really frustrating when hunt enemies don't load. It has happened to me twice already. Yes I know some hunts are only available at night etc. I have done everything I was told to do but sometimes enemies for a hunt just don't load and you have to spend a long time traveling somewhere else and doing something else in order to come back and do the hunt later when the enemies just miraculously load normally.

MilkBeard

I already gave 3 chances to Toriyama with X, XIII and XIII-2, and they're with VIII the worsts FFs IMO. No more of him to me.

Agreed -- I don't outright hate his games, but I am sick of his extremely linear mainline games. I don't want to play another Final Fantasy game developed in the same style as X and XIII.

However, I wouldn't mind if Toriyama was on the same team, overseeing technical aspects. he does have his strengths.

Exentryk

Wow it's really frustrating when hunt enemies don't load. It has happened to me twice already. Yes I know some hunts are only available at night etc. I have done everything I was told to do but sometimes enemies for a hunt just don't load and you have to spend a long time traveling somewhere else and doing something else in order to come back and do the hunt later when the enemies just miraculously load normally.

Some enemies have a specific time they load. Like even for some night enemies, they will appear only from 8:30 pm onwards, etc.

Deku Tree

Some enemies have a specific time they load. Like even for some night enemies, they will appear only from 8:30 pm onwards, etc.

How do I even check the exact time of day? or how can I be aware of what time of day certain enemies will load? The two hunts where I got this but the listing said that they could be done "anytime".

Gbraga

I've had hunt enemies not appearing once, had to save and reload and they were there.

I take I'm yet to get to the point where these rest spots are as, unless I've missed them, I haven't come across any?

I think you have access to it the majority of the linear part, except for chapter 13. But I'm not too sure, just from what I've seen people mentioning.

Exentryk

How do I even check the exact time of day? or how can I be aware of what time of day certain enemies will load? The two hunts where I got this but the listing said that they could be done "anytime".

There is no way to check for these times other than strat guide. Shouldn't apply to 'anytime' monsters though. Have you shut down your PS4 recently? It may just be the game getting glitchy if you're using constant rest modes?

Deku Tree

There is no way to check for these times other than strat guide. Shouldn't apply to 'anytime' monsters though. Have you shut down your PS4 recently? It may just be the game getting glitchy if you're using constant rest modes?

Omg there is a rest mode memory leak? Ok I'll turn my PS4 pro off

Gui_PT

I take I'm yet to get to the point where these rest spots are as, unless I've missed them, I haven't come across any?

Anywhere you have to pay to sleep works if I remember correctly. You can call Umbra from hotels or those trailers in outposts.

Just talk to the guy in the hotel as if you wanted to sleep there, but an option to "Call Umbra" will show up.

might give that a go (especially if it comes to switch). I was turned off by what I read of the quest design in that game but this game has horrible side quests as well but I ate it all up still.

They check a lot of the same boxes but XCX didn't bother me with small annoyances nearly as often. Just feels like the more consistent experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if Square was heavily influenced by the game honestly.

Amneisac

I'm starting to get some major bugs on X1, got me a little nervous. At one point there was no road and the Regalia just drove off a cliff and crashed and now it's all busted up but I can't repair it. Also there are weird sounds occasionally and sometimes a character is standing on another characters head.

Gui_PT

I'm starting to get some major bugs on X1, got me a little nervous. At one point there was no road and the Regalia just drove off a cliff and crashed and now it's all busted up but I can't repair it. Also there are weird sounds occasionally and sometimes a character is standing on another characters head.

I gently touched someone crossing a road with the car. Completely wrecked the Regalia. Person was fine.

Had to actually crash the car somewhere for the game to allow me to ask Cindy to fix it.

LordKasual

Banned

I got that with one of the wasp hunts. Was thoroughly aggravating. You should just leave the spawn point (save), close the game from the dashboard and then reload it. Should work fine. There's also a glitch where the gaussian blur on attacks glitches out and becomes little distortion checkers that's fixed by restarting.

I'm pretty sure all of this is caused by Rest mode.

Sagely

Currently spending some time levelling Noct's skill by going on a fishing tour: driving without fast travel from one fishing spot to another and doing a day or night's worth of fishing before moving on. It's so relaxing. Would be perfect if we could make the walkman play Fisherman's Horizon during fishing, rather than the over-dramatic default music, but otherwise I've really started to enjoy this minigame.

Also, Prompto had a funny line of dialogue during a photo op: Noct said, "If it makes you happy"and he replied, "It would give me a mouthful of happiness!" or something like that haha. He's so adorable!

Ishida

Banned
I got that with one of the wasp hunts. Was thoroughly aggravating. You should just leave the spawn point (save), close the game from the dashboard and then reload it. Should work fine. There's also a glitch where the gaussian blur on attacks glitches out and becomes little distortion checkers that's fixed by restarting.

I'm pretty sure all of this is caused by Rest mode.

That's very weird. I always leave my PS4 Pro in Rest Mode and never had such an issue. I think the only problem I had were some blocky graphical glitches while issuing commands to my friends. Those were indeed fixing by closing and reloading the game.

I seem to struggle to get a fish to actually bite, anyone have any tips here?

Different lures for different fish. There are signs you can read at most fishing places as to what fish are nearby. Adjust your lures accordingly. Read what they do so you know how to use your lure as they all act differently. Throw your line once it is pink on the mini-map around some (a) fish. Tap the lure button. Different patterns seem to work for different fish. Some times light taps, some times hold it down and have your lure swim, sometimes something in between...bursts.

As for fishing there are a few components. Besides the jumping fish, easy enough to hit the direction in time...there's the back and forth(also fairly easy...although you'll lose some line strength here and there) and lastly the tension on the line. This last part is key. You'll get a visual tension when it goes white/pink but just because the visual tension isn't there on screen...if your controller is going crazy it is also wise not to reel in at that time. Fishing is really about feeling your controller first while secondary watching the prompts on the screen.

Deku Tree

That's very weird. I always leave my PS4 Pro in Rest Mode and never had such an issue. I think the only problem I had were some blocky graphical glitches while issuing commands to my friends. Those were indeed fixing by closing and reloading the game.

It's not rest mode it's suspending games during rest mode that people think can cause memory leaks

lol why are
Aranea and Ardyn
helping me? specially after fighting the first? I really got lost on the storyline.

But gameplay keeps being amazing, daggers are my new main weapon.

rsniper59

Neo Member
After finishing up my first play-through of FFXV, I moved onto a classic (FFVII) on Steam to try and do a comparison. It's really having me weigh the FFXV experience in my mind.

I definitely enjoyed my time with FFXV, but it's also down near the bottom of the series for me. The combat, open world, and feeling of exploration were all incredible throughout the early-to-mid game. And the idea of a game about brotherhood is very different/refreshing for the series. But I constantly felt like there was this incredibly interesting world and story waiting on the horizon, and the game never bothers to takes you there.

The characters are all interesting in their own way and feel like they have a story to tell. However nearly every piece of vital plot information or character development takes place in "after the fact" cutscenes or scattered notes. Or they're delivered in extremely non-nonchalant fashion!
Two examples - The world is now being plunged into eternal darkness. Where was this ever mentioned in the game prior to the post-Altissia train ride? And Prompto's reveal as a Magitek Human is also similarly slapped in for a few seconds at the end of the game, is never mentioned again, and has no relevance to the story.

This is also why I'm absolutely not interested in the planned DLC that would add more cutscenes later in the game. From the plans they've announced, it sounds like they'd be in the same vein - "hey, here's what was happening a few hours ago that would have made that scene much more impactful!"

I come away from it thinking that it's a game that somehow felt extremely rushed after being in various stages of development for ten years (and yes I know it was totally scrapped and re-built). I'll always wish for the seriesto hearken back to the turn-based combat and fantasy settings of my series favorites, but I think FFXV showed there can be a mix of it all somehow. And it can be nailed perfectly. FFXV just missed the mark in a number of ways that I couldn't ignore.

Ishida

Banned
lol why are
Aranea and Ardyn
helping me? specially after fighting the first? I really got lost on the storyline.

It's not a confusing trope. I won't spoil you, but when a member of the enemy faction starts helping you for no apparent reason, you can only assume that they have some agenda of their own, don't you think? :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm barely seeing anyone having rose spectacles for FFXIII post FFXV release. Where's this idea coming from?

I mean, what did you expect people to tell you lol

Agreeing with the general sentiment that the game is unpolished and the criticisms levied are valid and mentioned all the time.

I mean it's a generally
Then you only have yourself to blame.

The fuck. Unless you mean he spent too much time in the open world, but it was already established by him hat that wasn't his problem.

Valus

What trick is this? :)

Not a trick, just for some reason that recipe gives a lot of Cooking exp points and super easy to make. Just buy luncheon meats from the vendor in Lestallum and you're good to go to grind Cooking levels if you want.

Ishida

Banned
The fuck. Unless you mean he spent too much time in the open world, but it was already established by him hat that wasn't his problem.

He has already stated that the more he plays, the more frustrated he is. Dude is not having a good time with the game, so how is "stop playing" a bad advice?

"I put my hands over a fire and I'm getting burned".

"Then get your hands out of the fire".

I just finished it ... and I appreciate XIII more now. At least that was a fully developed and polished game. XIII started out awful and got better towards the end. XV is the reverse XIII, starts out good and then takes an absolute nosedive towards the end. Unfinished, terribly underdeveloped story and characters (with the exception of the main four, they are great), hold button to win boss fights and the worst, least exciting final act / final boss in the series.

What's really sad is that this game had so much potential, it could have been one of the best FFs ever, but it was clearly rushed out the door and had lots of content cut or rewritten. Overall the game is a mess. The road trip aspect was really well done, I like the main party and the soundtrack is great, but as an overall experience it's just very incoherent and unsatisfying.

2San

Argh I have a glitch that isn't letting me upgrade to Engine Blade III, I have a glass gemstone and an engine blade II, but the quest isn't starting nor does talking to cid do anything. =.=

Gui_PT

Argh I have a glitch that isn't letting me upgrade to Engine Blade III, I have a glass gemstone and an engine blade II, but the quest isn't starting nor does talking to cid do anything. =.=

He may be developing another weapon already.

I think it takes 3 to 5 days in-game time for him to develop weapons. You'll get a call after the appropriate amount of time has passed.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wife and I just got this over the holidays and so far we don't understand the combat system. Does it feel janky for anyone else?

It looks like the lock-on is hard to manage when there are lots of enemies on-screen, and the parry prompt only shows up randomly instead of every time an attack is coming at you. Is there a way to ensure that you get the parry prompt instead of just needing to dodge everything?

Wife and I just got this over the holidays and so far we don't understand the combat system. Does it feel janky for anyone else?

It looks like the lock-on is hard to manage when there are lots of enemies on-screen, and the parry prompt only shows up randomly instead of every time an attack is coming at you. Is there a way to ensure that you get the parry prompt instead of just needing to dodge everything?

For me it took some time getting used to HOLDING R1 for locking on, so used in Kingdom Hearts specifically where you only need to press it once.

2San

He may be developing another weapon already.

I think it takes 3 to 5 days in-game time for him to develop weapons. You'll get a call after the appropriate amount of time has passed.
I don't have any quest for upgrading. Pretty sure I haven't given him anything to upgrade. People on gamefaqs seem to have the same issue. Seem to be due to the 1.03 update. >.<

SougoXIII

One thing the game isn't telling you is that you can hold R1 to lock on can click on R3 to lock it in place without you holding on R1 all that time. As for parry, it only trigger for certain moves and many monsters have move that you can't parry, only dodge.

Mercador

Question near the end...
Do I have to beat the game to spawn Psychomancer? I don't find him but I didn't finished the game yet.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
One thing the game isn't telling you is that you can hold R1 to lock on can click on R3 to lock it in place without you holding on R1 all that time. As for parry, it only trigger for certain moves and many monsters have move that you can't parry, only dodge.
Thanks.

So that means that some fights will pretty much guarantee that you will get a D rating in Finesse because you can't actually parry anything?

Can you cancel out of attack animations into parries, or do you have to be doing nothing for it to work?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It does feel weirdly cool to be liking XIII now.....god damn, I love Final Fantasy life XD.

IMO FFXIII's battle system is far superior to me compared to FFXV, where I often feel like there are tons of things that are beyond my control, in large part due to the camera being such a fucking idiot most of the time.

Post game content, especially, exposes many of its flaws, where more often than not whether you win or not are largely decided by whether you carry enough elixirs or phoenix downs or not :/

Top Bottom