• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Is cid bugged out for me? I gave him a bunch of stuff beforechapter 9 now in chapter 14 past he just keeps sitting there saying come back later or sumit. I've done about 20 hunts and a few side quests since then.

Put in about 24 hours over the long weekend, just getting to Chapter 7, need to calm down with the side quests. :p Loving it so far, though. Environments are great, combat is fun and the cast is all likeable.

LordKasual

Banned
They could cut out a floor or two of 13 and it would be fine. Also de-emphasizing the "hiding" since it only really serves to restore MP. Instead they could teach you how to use the ring better/make it more effective.

I guess my bigger issue with the chapter is where it takes place and how that was realized.

Yeah I think the problem is that people just got wildly different mileage out of the ring. I didn't understand why Square said they were buffing it until I came here and read about people completely fumbling over using it.

I'd just tank the axemen through death because it slowed them down and i'd heal any damage they dealt anyway afterwards. Alterna decimated every encounter I came across, it worked on every Iron Giant i fought so I honestly felt like a god while running through Ch.13.

I was killing enemies solo, way faster than I could have using actual weapons. And i wasn't any higher than Lv.42 so I didn't really get why people figured they had to hide.

Even thought it doesn't instantly kill them, it gives them a "Death" debuff icon and very obviously shrivels them into nothingness. It's strange how so many cues went unnoticed by people.

So I should have just kept using it at the time, huh. I just gave up after it didn't work the first couple of times on the first one you deal with and just played Tabata's shitty sealth sequence straight assuming these enemies were immune or something. Oh well, what's past is past I guess.

Next time, if I ever replay the game, it'll be post patch.

SougoXIII

Thanks.

So that means that some fights will pretty much guarantee that you will get a D rating in Finesse because you can't actually parry anything?

Can you cancel out of attack animations into parries, or do you have to be doing nothing for it to work?

I think Finesse also take into account link strikes from blindsided attack etc... And no you can't really cancel the attack animations into parry though most attack have really short animation lock so its not a huge deal (unless you're using a Great sword)

Qurupeke

Chapter 13 is so fucking bad. x_x

Honestly, everything after Chapter 9 feels bad. The pacing is incredible, no room to breath. I'm not sure what's the consensus on the first few chapters, but I loved the slow, easy going pacing. Everything after the train is awful and it feels like stalling. Like, they had some cool ideas and they fucking butchered everything. Well, in FF XV's case, that might actually be true. For instance,
I can't believe how fast the whole thing with Shiva was resolved. Like, oh cool, fight some monsters, more Ardyn fuckery and, guess what, Shiva=Gentiana.

Chapter 13 though is a re-definition of "bad"... I'm taking a break because I just can't continue like that. I just got
Father's Sword from... a frenemy that died off screen(?)
, so I hope the worst part is over.

tbm24

I finally finished the game two days ago. There's a lot to unpack on my experience but from all impressions I read, I was looking forward to chapter 13 the most to see what all the hate was about. I wouldn't say I ran through it however I was lv74 during the whole thing so I never had any fears or hid from anything. I went through it all and I think it might be my favorite chapter of the game. It was different but reminded me of older JRPGs where you're sneaking around some industrial fortress. Atmosphere wise I think it was great and I enjoyed the pace of it. I think it's a shame there were so few different experiences to be had in the game aside the open world(while I did very much enjoy it). It helped me get over the disappointment with the train chapter.

Overall loved my time with the game, just wish the story and chapters were better planned out and....complete.

Ishida

Banned
I finally finished the game two ago. There's a lot to unpack on my experience but from all impressions I read, I was looking forward to chapter 13 the most to see what all the hate was about. I wouldn't say I ran through it however I was lv74 during the whole thing so I never had any fears or hid from anything. I went through it all and I think it might be my favorite chapter of the game. It was different but reminded me of older JRPGs where you're sneaking around some industrial fortress. Atmosphere wise I think it was great and I enjoyed the pace of it. I think it's a shame there were so few different experiences to be had in the game aside the open world(while I did very much enjoy it). It helped me get over the disappointment with the train chapter.

Overall loved my time with the game, just wish the story and chapters were better planned out and....complete.

I forgot all the bad in Chapter 13 when I reached this part.

Afrocious

chapter 13 was pretty horrible in that it felt like it should've ended twice. i spent a good 2-3 hours running around

Not a trick, just for some reason that recipe gives a lot of Cooking exp points and super easy to make. Just buy luncheon meats from the vendor in Lestallum and you're good to go to grind Cooking levels if you want.

my hero

now all i need is a quick way to get fishing up >.>

jonjonaug

About to start this, questions.

1. I heard there was a movie or something to watch first, how necessary is that?
2. Subs or dubs?
3. Anything else I should know?

Kaizer

Banned
Still in the middle of Chapter 13, but ever since I got the
Father's Sword
things have been a super cakewalk. This chapter isn't good by any means, but it's also not the dreadful horror show I'd imagined it'd be from everybody's impressions.

SougoXIII

Still in the middle of Chapter 13, but ever since I got the
Father's Sword
things have been a super cakewalk. This chapter isn't good by any means, but it's also not the dreadful horror show I'd imagined it'd be from everybody's impressions.

It's definitely not the worst thing on earth, it just got drag out way too long and the jump scare/horror element felt way too force - especially when you have Altima with you (imagine playing RE1 with an infinite rocket launcher)

A segment with all your power taking away from you while you're exploring aspect of the Niflehelm Empire is pretty neat but like most of the story telling aspect of XV, it fell short.

Fuck this game. No way for me to get the ultimate weapon now. Cid been sat there for days now telling me to brace for power. I've done countless quests and hunts.

Just played another couple of hours (about 4 in total now) and getting a hang of the controls a bit better. A problem for me has been that none of the 3 control types really feel natural. So far Type C has felt the best for me. Although warp striking with L1 + triangle when you are attacking/dodging with R2/L2 is odd, and means I have to think about using warp strike every time I want to - it means I have to stop what I'm doing, take a beat to think about the button comination then do it. It's not fluid at all for me. Maybe it will get better.

I'm just running (urgh, the running!) around the map looking for enemies to practice on (not grinding as much as just getting used to the controls) but there are so few enemies around - is there anywhere on the map near the rest stop at the start where I can just grind enemies for practice without having to run around for 5-10 minutes to find another?

About to start this, questions.

1. I heard there was a movie or something to watch first, how necessary is that?
2. Subs or dubs?
3. Anything else I should know?

Movie isn't necessary, but recommended if you're big into story. It's called kings glaive.

Either, both are quite good, both have lines that no one can say with a straight face.

Go in with an open mind, and realize the road trip is the best part. Relax and take the game at whatever pace you're comfortable at.

Just played another couple of hours (about 4 in total now) and getting a hang of the controls a bit better. A problem for me has been that none of the 3 control types really feel natural. So far Type C has felt the best for me. Although warp striking with L1 + triangle when you are attacking/dodging with R2/L2 is odd, and means I have to think about using warp strike every time I want to - it means I have to stop what I'm doing, take a beat to think about the button comination then do it. It's not fluid at all for me. Maybe it will get better.

I'm just running (urgh, the running!) around the map looking for enemies to practice on (not grinding as much as just getting used to the controls) but there are so few enemies around - is there anywhere on the map near the rest stop at the start where I can just grind enemies for practice without having to run around for 5-10 minutes to find another?

You get chocobos and monster whistles if you progress
A bit more through the main stories.

You can also train against gladio at the camps.

You get chocobos and monster whistles if you progress
A bit more through the main stories.

You can also train against gladio at the camps.
OK, thanks. Monster whistles summon enemies any time you like I guess? I know I'm super early in the game, I just didn't want to progress too far until I got a handle on the controls and battle system - it's taking a while!

So... I haven't played this game since I lost my license to own the Big Bang dynamic theme on PS4....

Basically, I pre-ordered digitally for that theme but then found out (via the spoiler thread weeks before release =/) that
the big bang art and lore doesn't really factor into the game. That was a big draw for me and with other reports on the game,
I decided to cancel my digital pre-order and buy pysical. This way, in case I didn't like it, I had the option to return it or trade it etc. Come release, the digital refund hadn't processed and it was already loaded so I said "what the hell, let's play it". I was glad I did as I had come to appreciate what I was playing myself. I had hoped my playing it voided the refund. Nope, next day it was locked. I decided to just repurchase it to unlock it.

All this to say that the theme was still useable all this time. I figured it was mine since I downloaded it and was already using it. But once I swapped it out to check out another theme, I've been locked out.
I've already tried contacting Sony to unlock it out of kindness lol but they can't? Won't? How can I fix this? I guess not having Somnus playing and not seeing that art is keeping me from playing as playing it is just a reminder of my fuck up. Owning it digitally without that excellent theme is such a waste for me. Petty, I know.

Yes, easily.

Ok good, that's going to be my final activity and "end of the game".

Does anyone know of a good way to get Zu Beaks post-patch? They don't appear to be dropping any more, either that or RNG has been seriously screwing with me. All I get are tenders. The beaks are supposed to be the common drop and the tenders the rare.

Ok good, that's going to be my final activity and "end of the game".

Does anyone know of a good way to get Zu Beaks post-patch? They don't appear to be dropping any more, either that or RNG has been seriously screwing with me. All I get are tenders. The beaks are supposed to be the common drop and the tenders the rare.

There are meals that increase rare drop breaks. Hardedge has a break modifier.

Finally started the game today. Am about 2 hours in and just reached that seaside place where I'm supposed to take a ferry. So far it's a real blast! The combat is quite fun, the game looks gorgeous and I really love the banter between the four guys. I'm playing on a Pro on a 1080p HDTV but set it to Lite because the other video option seems a bit jittery/sluggish to me for some reason.

So yeah, while it's super fun so far, I still have this impending dread looming over me from all the impressions about the game that I wish I hadn't read. Mostly about how the story is super shit etc. I quite enjoyed Kingsglaive and Brotherhood and am really liking this so far, but I bet I would enjoy this even more if I didn't dread the story being bad in the long run. Someone please tell me that it's not that bad. I so desperately wanted this game to be good!

There are meals that increase rare drop breaks. Hardedge has a break modifier.

Yeah I know but the beaks are the common drop, so the meals actually work against you in this case.

I read a rumor that the Zu Beaks now require the Season Pass DLC accessory to drop. Pretty sad if true.

This is really starting to get annoying since that was the best way to farm for limit break magic.

Ishida

Banned
Finally started the game today. Am about 2 hours in and just reached that seaside place where I'm supposed to take a ferry. So far it's a real blast! The combat is quite fun, the game looks gorgeous and I really love the banter between the four guys. I'm playing on a Pro on a 1080p HDTV but set it to Lite because the other video option seems a bit jittery/sluggish to me for some reason.

So yeah, while it's super fun so far, I still have this impending dread looming over me from all the impressions about the game that I wish I hadn't read. Mostly about how the story is super shit etc. I quite enjoyed Kingsglaive and Brotherhood and am really liking this so far, but I bet I would enjoy this even more if I didn't dread the story being bad in the long run. Someone please tell me that it's not that bad. I so desperately wanted this game to be good!

Don't worry about it. Check out the great scores the game got, don't let the negativity get to you. Enjoy the game at your own pace. Explore the overworld as much as you can, get into tough battles, practice your combat skills, make use of magic, use your friend's skills in battle constantly and try to practice blindsides.

Have fun!

Sinistral

Fuck this game. No way for me to get the ultimate weapon now. Cid been sat there for days now telling me to brace for power. I've done countless quests and hunts.

Uh guys is my game glitched? CID won't let me upgrade any weapons, he doesn't give me an option. I'm on chapter 6.

Make sure you actually have the requested items in your inventories. The stupid quest text makes it sound like you may already have the item. "Give Cid said item" instead of a 2 part, collect said item, then update quest to give item when you actually have it.

Kaizer

Banned
Wooo boy, just finished Chapter 13 & gee golly at that info dump at the end of the chapter. Can someone explain/summarize for me what just happened?
What/who exactly is Ardyn as the Acursed is the main one I'm still a little lost on.

Is that the one with
the animal traps? The search area is very small. I think I spent around 10 minutes there?

It is indeed. The area is small right enough but I still had some real trouble spotting them, took me a good ten, fifteen minutes. Quests like this should just have been left out. Its just running around with the camera tracked on the floor aimlessly, nothing fun about it. All the other fetch quests have been fine for what they are, getting fights there and back etc but this seemed irritating for no real good reason.

Ishida

Banned
Wooo boy, just finished Chapter 13 & gee golly at that info dump at the end of the chapter. Can someone explain/summarize for me what just happened?
What/who exactly is Ardyn as the Acursed is the main one I'm still a little lost on.

CHAPTER 13 SPOILERS:

*Ardyn was of Royal blood. He was next in line for the throne. His name was Ardyn Lucis Caelum, of the Lucian bloodline.

*He had powers to heal the people affected by the Starscourge parasite. Much like the Oracle of modern times (Luna).

*In order to save the people of the world, Ardyn absorbed the Daemons into himself. He healed everyone and saved the world in ancient times.

*However, the Crystal and the gods (Who decide who becomes King), deemed Ardyn to be unfit for the throne due to his soul being stained/corrupted. He was also denied from entering the Astral Realm, due to the immortality he gained from the Daemons.

*A man named Izunia (Or with surname Izunia) shit-talked about Ardyn and turned him into a pariah. Apparently he began a campaign against Ardyn, making people fear and hate him.

*The Crystal and the gods choose this Izunia guy as the new King instead. This is Noctis' ancestor.

*Ardyn was pissed. After everything he had done to protect the world and heal the people, the gods and the Crystal had turned against him. And Izunia had made the people hate him too.

It is indeed. The area is small right enough but I still had some real trouble spotting them, took me a good ten, fifteen minutes. Quests like this should just have been left out. Its just running around with the camera tracked on the floor aimlessly, nothing fun about it. All the other fetch quests have been fine for what they are but this seemed irritating for no real good reason.

I guess I was lucky, my friends were all "Noct, take a look at this" for quite a few of the traps.

Top Bottom