• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ishida

Banned
IMO FFXIII's battle system is far superior to me compared to FFXV, where I often feel like there are tons of things that are beyond my control, in large part due to the camera being such a fucking idiot most of the time.

I feel the opposite. In XIII I barely feel in control of anything, while FFXV gives me tons of freedom.

Gui_PT

I don't have any quest for upgrading. Pretty sure I haven't given him anything to upgrade. People on gamefaqs seem to have the same issue. Seem to be due to the 1.03 update. >.<

I thought I was bugged too and then read about it online and just played for a few days til I got the call to pick my weapon up.

Hopefully the same is happening to you because the other option sucks.

Koozek

I'm barely seeing anyone having rose spectacles for FFXIII post FFXV release. Where's this idea coming from?

I just finished it ... and I appreciate XIII more now. At least that was a fully developed and polished game. XIII started out awful and got better towards the end. XV is the reverse XIII, starts out good and then takes an absolute nosedive towards the end. Unfinished, terribly underdeveloped story and characters (with the exception of the main four, they are great), hold button to win boss fights and the worst, least exciting final act / final boss in the series.

What's really sad is that this game had so much potential, it could have been one of the best FFs ever, but it was clearly rushed out the door and had lots of content cut or rewritten. Overall the game is a mess. The road trip aspect was really well done, I like the main party and the soundtrack is great, but as an overall experience it's just very incoherent and unsatisfying.
Only took 3 minutes :D

jackdoe

Well at the very least the camera in XIII wasnt an idiot during battles unlike this game.
The crazy camera would have been a much smaller problem if the lock-on system wasn't completely broken. Like, who's dumbass idea was it to have you lose lock-on the instant you kill one enemy in a mob of ten enemies, forcing you to lock-on again (but since lock-on is the same button as the map, you accidentally open the map ten percent of the time)?

Ishida

Banned
Well at the very least the camera in XIII wasnt an idiot during battles unlike this game.

Because you had no control over it.

In XV I can position myself anywhere I want in the battlefield, warp to multiple points and enemies, blindside such enemies, parry, evade, air-step and perform aerial combat, aim my magic attacks if I so desire, pull combos by switching to distinct kinds of weapons, issue direct commands to my partners, call my Chocobo to aid me in battle, even while riding it, pull my enemies together, etc.

In XIII I... I can switch Paradigms.

JayEH

Lock on system is something I hope they fix in upcoming patches. They knew people had issues with this since the demo...

Gui_PT

Never had any problems with the camera outside of the occasional bush or boulder.

The lock on button is the same as the map button? I never opened the map by mistake.

And the idea that you have to hold the lock on button is just silly. Click it once, leave it locked on 'til you change it or the enemy dies.

Ishida

Banned
Never had any problems with the camera outside of the occasional bush or boulder.

The lock on button is the same as the map button? I never opened the map by mistake.

And the idea that you have to hold the lock on button is just silly. Click it once, leave it locked on 'til you change it or the enemy dies.

Camera only goes crazy with huge bosses and in small spaces. Other than that it is fine.

jackdoe

They should have had it set to automatically switch lock-on to the next closest enemy, once the enemy you're locked on to is killed (like Kingdom Hearts).

Camera only goes crazy with huge bosses and in small spaces. Other than that it is fine.
Small spaces and huge bosses being the majority of the dungeons.

Ferr986

Prompto took a pic of derp Noctis.

1M6hav1.jpg

TheGrue

Ended up beating the main story yesterday after 41 hours played. I'm going to keep it installed and go back and do side stuff here and there. I am conflicted on the combat as I never felt like I was good at it, but I never wiped, either ( you can just item your way out of trouble). Story was definitely a mess in delivery and presentation. Wasn't a fan of how magic was handled in the game and it became a pain to craft it such that I usually didn't bother too much with it. Didn't really have much of a problem with Chapter 13 other than what had to do with story.

Did anyone else restart the game all over Post patch?

I did... I was at the beginning of Chapter 13 when I decided I didn't want tot go any further. I seen people get to Chapter 13 at like level 50+ and I was a 32 by the time I got there. So I started the game over and decided to start doing as many side quests as possible before advancing the story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Because you had no control over it.

In XV I can position myself anywhere I want in the battlefield, warp to multiple points and enemies, blindside such enemies, parry, evade, air-step and perform aerial combat, aim my magic attacks if I so desire, pull combos by switching to distinct kinds of weapons, issue direct commands to my partners, call my Chocobo to aid me in battle, even while riding it, pull my enemies together, etc.

In XIII I... I can switch Paradigms.

It's kinda funny to see that you seem to downplay the huge effect of the camera's idiocy on FFXV's battle system. I mean yes all those things are all well and good but you still can't see shit 90% of the time so stuff like evasion or parries is just a matter of holding Square, for example. Especially since the game so dearly love throw multiple enemies in enclosed spaces, or even a large boss sized enemies, or even, like Costlemark, multiple giant sized enemies at the same time just for shit and giggles--I would love to see anyone actually do these battles with 'finesse' while the camera practically gave up.

Meh, the camera really soured me on the battle system. Still, I've platinumed this game, lol.

Ishida

Banned
It's kinda funny to see that you seem to downplay the huge effect of the camera's idiocy on FFXV's battle system. I mean yes all those things are all well and good but you still can't see shit 90% of the time so stuff like evasion or parries is just a matter of holding Square, for example. Especially since the game so dearly love throw multiple enemies in enclosed spaces, or even a large boss sized enemies, or even, like Costlemark, multiple giant sized enemies at the same time just for shit and giggles--I would love to see anyone actually do these battles with 'finesse' while the camera practically gave up.

I'm downplaying the camera's idiocy? And then you proceed with the hyperbole of "you can't see anything 90% of the time"?

The game would be completely unplayable if you couldn't see anything 90% of the time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm downplaying the camera's idiocy? And then you proceed with the hyperbole of "you can't see anything 90% of the time"?

Well that what it feels like to me, most of the time it feels like I'm fighting the camera more than I'm fighting the enemies.

Not sure what do you want me to say, do you want me to sing unending praise to it before you are satisfied or something?

Ishida

Banned
Well that what it feels like to me, most of the time it feels like I'm fighting the camera more than I'm fighting the enemies.

Not sure what do you want me to say, do you want me to sing unending praise to it before you are satisfied or something?

Of course not. Do you want me to say the game is unplayable before you are?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Of course not. Do you want me to say the game is unplayable before you are?

LOL, I've platinumed the game, dude. I didn't say the game is unplayable, I said the camera during battles in this game is horseshit.

Let's just agree to disagree. In my opinion, the camera in FFXV during battles are mostly shit so that drags it down way below many FFs that I've played in terms of battle system.

There, I put 'in my opinion'. Better?

jackdoe

Meh, the camera really soured me on the battle system. Still, I've platinumed this game, lol.
Thank god I was overleveled for everything I attempted. Otherwise, I probably would have smashed my controller into the floor during some of those combat encounters.

It does feel weirdly cool to be liking XIII now.....god damn, I love Final Fantasy life XD.

There have been plenty of us out there who always liked FFXIII.

Anyway, about 5 hours in with FFXV and enjoying poking around the world for now but combat is underwhelming. Early yet, though.

I can also see how those who haven't seen Kingsglaive (which was better than expected, Nyx kicked tail) might be wondering just what the hell is going on or what the deal is with various characters.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thank god I was overleveled for everything I attempted. Otherwise, I probably would have smashed my controller into the floor during some of those combat encounters.

Yeah no kidding, hahaha.

Whoever thought putting four giant enemies plus multiple critters at the same time like that as 'fun' need a stinky sock thrown to his face.

And to add to your post above, the lock on doesn't just disappear when you kill an enemy too. It disappears if you parry, it disappears if the enemy moves too fast.... Urghh.

Raven117

So then, Chapter 13.

Let's see what all the fuss is about........

Ha, just ran through it. Has the patch hit? (I cant remember). I think so...because early reports said that you really did have to hide a lot...

It is jarring to say the least. FF at first just kinda idly goes by (Chapters 1-8)...then chapter 9, 10, 11, 12 and thinking finally...Alright! Things are moving! Then...Wombo-whambo...Game slows to a crawl.

Its kinda bizarre.

vareon

Pitioss Ruins cleared.

It was amazingly frustrating, some very great designs, some clever puzzles. The frustration came from controls and
the nonexistent fanfare at the end.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I purposefully let the adamantoise trophy as my last trophy to unlock since I thought it would unlock during his actual death animation and as such it would make a nice screenshot for my World Wanderer trophy.

Turned out the trophy only pops out only after you complete the hunt at a tipster so as such my World Wanderer trophy is a picture of Hammerhead Diner, FML.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Are they serious with these corridors & "hiding" bullshit? OMG this is terrible LMAO, I hate this already & I just started. This goes on for like 3 hours???

No need to bother yourself with all the hiding crap, just kill whatever gets in your way. Except the Iron Giant enemy since it respawn immediately even if you kill it (annoying), just run outside his range if it notices you.

Cynar

Are they serious with these corridors & "hiding" bullshit? OMG this is terrible LMAO, I hate this already & I just started. This goes on for like 3 hours???
It's not bad at all. Just don't hide and kill all the stuff. It was pretty easy.

LordKasual

Banned
Thanks.

So that means that some fights will pretty much guarantee that you will get a D rating in Finesse because you can't actually parry anything?

Can you cancel out of attack animations into parries, or do you have to be doing nothing for it to work?

I think after you get the skill that lets you just-dodge (he glows blue when you press dodge) then yeah, you can cancel attack animations to parry. That's one of the first skills you should get.

I rarely ever get high scores in Finesse. I've completed fights without getting touched and still didn't get a score on it.

IMO FFXIII's battle system is far superior to me compared to FFXV, where I often feel like there are tons of things that are beyond my control, in large part due to the camera being such a fucking idiot most of the time.

Post game content, especially, exposes many of its flaws, where more often than not whether you win or not are largely decided by whether you carry enough elixirs or phoenix downs or not :/

XIII's battle system is only good to me if you judge it on its own merits and ignore every FF battle system before it. Because once you do that, it's obvious how much of a neutered downgrade it was. It managed to make its fights engaging, but from a critical viewpoint, there's just so much wrong with their design decisions.

Almost 90% of the difficulty in XIII was completely and totally artificial. FF games are never difficult games, but i've never had an FF game make me feel so cheated before. Just about the only thing worse than those dumbass XIII bosses that cast Doom on you is getting Malboro ambushed and insta-killed in the previous FFs. (Especially 10 since poison was stupid ridiculous on that game).

Death will insta-kill them. It doesn't matter if you stop, you can go back and pick up where you left off. They regenerate their vitality slowly.

Holy (hold dodge) does decent damage, but most importantly it restores MP.

Alterna (hold warp command at max MP) instakilled just about everything in the room anytime i used it, but people here have reported that sometimes it misses. Noctis has super armor during the animation so just do it and watch everything die.

If you have any Ethers (you should have a shitton by this point in the game, they're worthless unless there are no warp points) then Chapter 13 should be a cakewalk. People who complained about hiding just gave themselves a crazy unnecessary hassle.

Gbraga

Shit, for whatever reason now the Chocobo song and the outpost songs are all incredibly hard to listen, the volume got way too low. Anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? Every other sound works fine, including car music.

Cloukyo

Banned
How do you kill the axemen with the ring?

Just keep dodging, its pretty easy. To be honest I didn't even think hiding was viable because they kept finding me. So in the end I just killed them all and trucked through

I think the only enemy I hid from was the iron giant

BriGuy

Here I am lost again at the friggin Costlemark maze for a dumb hunt...
This was me last night. I ended up in the red giant room 4 goddamn times. The thing is, I know what you're supposed to do to get through that sliding door puzzle. The game just wouldn't let me do it. I would only have one option to pick until the last time I attempted it and it finally offered me a choice between doors. Super frustrating.

LordKasual

Banned
Shit, for whatever reason now the Chocobo song and the outpost songs are all incredibly hard to listen, the volume got way too low. Anyone had a similar problem and fixed it? Every other sound works fine, including car music.

Yes, same way I fixed every issue. Just close / restart the game.

Sinistral

Just keep dodging, its pretty easy. To be honest I didn't even think hiding was viable because they kept finding me. So in the end I just killed them all and trucked through

I think the only enemy I hid from was the iron giant

Dodging is definitely the way to go. I think that's why I felt the hate for the chapter was overblown, but not unwarranted, was still bad.

I ended up killing the Giant, only for it to respawn... What's even more stupid about the Giant area is that the objective is over 2 waist high guard rails. That you can't jump over like the road side guard rails in the open world.

I got that with one of the wasp hunts. Was thoroughly aggravating. You should just leave the spawn point (save), close the game from the dashboard and then reload it. Should work fine. There's also a glitch where the gaussian blur on attacks glitches out and becomes little distortion checkers that's fixed by restarting.

I'm pretty sure all of this is caused by Rest mode.

I had the latter bug you were talking about through rest mode on my regular PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU40PyBSF1U

muteki

They could cut out a floor or two of 13 and it would be fine. Also de-emphasizing the "hiding" since it only really serves to restore MP. Instead they could teach you how to use the ring better/make it more effective.

I guess my bigger issue with the chapter is where it takes place and how that was realized.

Top Bottom