• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Final Fantasy XV |OT3| Filler Fantasy

Are we really going to reach OT3 anyway?

Why is it that I can't drive manually right now? The option is just greyed out.

Are you still on the first chapter? You'll unlock manual driving as you proceed with the main story shortly.

Gbraga

Chapter 8, finally. So now it's time to finish some sidequests, explore the Vesperpool region a little better, and then move on to Altissia!

Aranea best girl.

BriGuy

Holy shit "the wall in our way" hunt is garbage. That should have been an easy win, but my chucklefuck companions decided to target trash mob enemies twice instead of the boss and waste my goddamn technique bar. Then I get forced out of the dungeon where I have to wait 20 literal fucking minutes for sunset before I can enter the dungeon again. What a hateful waste of my time.

lol why are
Aranea and Ardyn
helping me? specially after fighting the first? I really got lost on the storyline.

But gameplay keeps being amazing, daggers are my new main weapon.
For Aranea, it's easy. She's a mercenary, so she helps whoever she's paid to help.
As for Ardyn, you'll find out later.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
American Express product placement in FFXV.

Implies that America in some way, shape, or form exists in this world

Meaning the American Revolution must have happened.

Meaning the British exist as well

Meaning there must also be Native Americans

Meaning that George Washington existed

Meaning that there must have also been puritans escaping religious persecution

Meaning that Christianity exists as well

Meaning there is a pope

Meaning there is Jesus

This really is a fantasy based on reality.

What the hell?
I didn't know Iris can actually fight. It seems like she's a hand-to-hand type of fighter.

And when's the festival? I'm seeing video of it and the superboss fight XD

Sinistral

That is probably the most notorious bug in the game, it will eventually fix itself but it takes time.

He doesn't give me a quest to upgrade my item at all. When I try to talk to him all he does is just complain.

It's been like this since Chapter 2... I thought it was because I wasn't far enough in the story but then people were saying they got the final weapon for Noctis early on. :|

I definitely gave him the engine blade and drain lance in chapter 8 as in no longer have these weapons.

Oh man, that sounds like a terrible bug then. Sorry to hear shit like this isn't even patched yet.

Just started playing, do you earn AP through normal combat, if so how?

At first most of your AP is going to come from leveling up, the first upgrades you want to get are the ones that give you AP for doing things that you would normally do.

Get AP for driving, chocobo riding, camping, fishing, then you will start unlocking abilities that make your warp strike stronger and you will unlock one that gives you an AP for finishing an enemy with a warp strike.

20 hours and still in Chapter 3, finally said screw it and now I'm just going to burn through the game. Really hate open world cause that always happens to me.

Can you over-level in this game? If I'm running around all over the place should I put on the no xp ring?

At first most of your AP is going to come from leveling up, the first upgrades you want to get are the ones that give you AP for doing things that you would normally do.

Get AP for driving, chocobo riding, camping, fishing, then you will start unlocking abilities that make your warp strike stronger and you will unlock one that gives you an AP for finishing an enemy with a warp strike.

Cool thanks, already got the one for camping and fishing.

PKrockin

So, how is the battle system in this game? Incredibly generously, I was given a PS4 and FFXV for Christmas. I haven't ever been much interested in FF before. I've only beaten FF1 and played Tactics Advance for a while (blue mages were the shit). I really don't know anything about this game besides that it's a dudes' road trip game and Cid is a girl. But if my memory from Sony's E3 conference serves, this game finally has real-time, Kingdom Hearts-like battles rather than turn based or a hybrid system. Is it good? As a long time "Tales of" fan I'm happy to deal with mediocre story/chracters in an RPG if there's fun, satisfying action combat.

So, how is the battle system in this game? Incredibly generously, I was given a PS4 and FFXV for Christmas. I haven't ever been much interested in FF before. I've only beaten FF1 and played Tactics Advance for a while (blue mages were the shit). I really don't know anything about this game besides that it's a dudes' road trip game and Cid is a girl. But if my memory from Sony's E3 conference serves, this game finally has real-time, Kingdom Hearts-like battles rather than turn based or a hybrid system. Is it good? As a long time "Tales of" fan I'm happy to deal with mediocre story/chracters in an RPG if there's fun, satisfying action combat.

This is an action RPG.

The combat, world, visuals, and OST are the strengths of the game. The story is disappointing because so much happens off screen and interesting side characters get very little screen time. So prepare yourself for that.

If Witcher 3s combat is a 5/10 and Bloodborne is a 10/10, i would say FFXVs combat is a 8/10.

It has some problems (you dont have much control over your 3 allies and the camera isnt great at avoiding tree's and vegetation) but its very good with some incredible animations. You have access to swords, two handed swords, pole arms, guns, machinery, shields, and magic. Each of these weapons play different and you can change them on the fly.

20 hours and still in Chapter 3, finally said screw it and now I'm just going to burn through the game. Really hate open world cause that always happens to me.

You can always continue the open world activities in later chapters, even after you beat the game.

The combat is pretty good, actualy, I'm digging it. It's a neat combination of action, positioning, reflex, and strategy. The camera kills the combat in some cases, sadly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It has some problems (you dont have much control over your 3 allies and the camera isnt great at avoiding tree's and vegetation) but its very good with some incredible animations. You have access to swords, two handed swords, pole arms, guns, machinery, shields, and magic. Each of these weapons play different have different stats.

...and walls...
...and multiple enemies...
...and corridors... of which there are many...
...and big enemy... especially big enemies...
...and bosses...
...and multiple enemies + walls, in which this game has so many...
...and fast-moving enemies...
...and aerial combat...

Can you over-level in this game? If I'm running around all over the place should I put on the no xp ring?

Cool thanks, already got the one for camping and fishing.

Yeah you can definitely. I find myself over 15+ levels above the main story missions every time. In general though if you figure out the combat even on a basic level you can beat enemies well above your level without too much trouble imo. Like the level 30+ thing near the opening town and others.

I think the combat is ok. It's definitely grown on me as I played it more, though some of the decisions in it make me wonder a bit lol. As a fan of Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta type games it leaves a lot to be desired, but I would say I'm enjoying the combat more and more each time I play this game... though the enemies kinda just going nuts at all times bothers me since its hard to know which enemy exactly is attacking you (in big groups) but still easy enough to defend and win.

You can always continue the open world activities in later chapters, even after you beat the game.

I actually hate this so much haha. Maybe I'm weird but I like to beat a game with my character "maxed out" if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of "hey now get these cool extras... with no real main or meaningful enemy to use this on" if that makes sense. Though I do like to mess around a bit more if given the option. We'll see, I'm enjoying the story moments though, but feels like the open world was not exactly needed.

Is there a camp spot I'm missing near this stupid to catch a frog quest tryint to get it to rain is infuriating.

Bitch on gaf get rain instantly

Hello GAF,

In the last thread I asked whether or not I should buy FFXV and listed my tastes with regards to RPGs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226269406&postcount=17430

The consensus was pretty much, NO. Well, the game was on sale today for $40 so I decided, "why the fuck not?" This due to me being bored out of my mind and sick of trash teams in Overwatch. Any way, the game will be arriving tomorrow so I guess I'll find out if you were all right and should have just passed on the game.

This will be my first FF game as well. Wish me luck, GAF.

Deku Tree

On
brave new world
in chapter eight and I can't
board the boat
. No idea what I'm supposed to do if it's a glitch or if I'm missing something.

Edit nvm I missed a talk x button.

PKrockin

This is an action RPG.

The combat, world, visuals, and OST are the strengths of the game. The story is disappointing because so much happens off screen and interesting side characters get very little screen time. So prepare yourself for that.

If Witcher 3s combat is a 5/10 and Bloodborne is a 10/10, i would say FFXVs combat is a 8/10.

It has some problems (you dont have much control over your 3 allies and the camera isnt great at avoiding tree's and vegetation) but its very good with some incredible animations. You have access to swords, two handed swords, pole arms, guns, machinery, shields, and magic. Each of these weapons play different and you can change them on the fly.

The combat is pretty good, actualy, I'm digging it. It's a neat combination of action, positioning, reflex, and strategy. The camera kills the combat in some cases, sadly.

I think the combat is ok. It's definitely grown on me as I played it more, though some of the decisions in it make me wonder a bit lol. As a fan of Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta type games it leaves a lot to be desired, but I would say I'm enjoying the combat more and more each time I play this game... though the enemies kinda just going nuts at all times bothers me since its hard to know which enemy exactly is attacking you (in big groups) but still easy enough to defend and win.
Well that sounds incredibly different. I'm no stranger to camera and AI problems in my action RPGs, as a Tales fan. They haven't impacted my enjoyment of them much so I have high hopes that I'll love this game now. It actually makes me kind of excited that I can finally look forward to enjoying a mainline Final Fantasy game. I've been watching the series progress for ages. Each time I watch some of a new game in the series or try it out myself and come away mostly indifferent (except the music), I'm saddened a little I can't love it like so many others.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a huge backlash over the series ditching any kind of turn-based or hybrid battle system though. I had the idea in my head FFXV was some kind of hybrid system for a long time just because I would expect to find a bunch of threads expressing an RE4-style rejection of the direction the series is going.

Ishida

Banned
I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a huge backlash over the series ditching any kind of turn-based or hybrid battle system though. I had the idea in my head FFXV was some kind of hybrid system for a long time just because I suppose I thought if it was an action RPG I would see a RE4-style fan reaction all over GAF.

GAF DID overreact about it. And still does. It's a minority but it's extremely vocal though.

Sinistral

I found it to be one the worst action combat battle systems. I don't think it even holds a candle to the Tales of series. The only redeeming factor is the seamless transition into fighting.

There's really no strategy involved, no control whatsoever for your AI party members. No control and flow. Intrusive QTE prompts that are required because the readability of your enemies is non-existent. Worst of all, for action combat, it's not challenging. Combo's are more or less holding a single button while you wait to be attacked and a prompt to show up. There's no advantage of switching weapons mid combo. Oh and the camera... some sadistic design there.

I liked the battles in Tales games. I hate the combat in FFXV. But that's just my opinion of course.

It's quite baffling that these Japanese devs still have no clue how to deal with camera on party based action combat. FFXV, newer 3D Tales of games, Star Ocean 5, all have one same major issue, the camera. Here's hoping that seamless transition to battle will be the norm in JRPGs after SO5 and FFXV.

RDreamer

If Witcher 3s combat is a 5/10 and Bloodborne is a 10/10 I would say FFXV's combat is a -2/10.

It's pretty shitty. It's flashy and the animations are good. It can be fun at times I suppose, but it's quite lacking compared to other action RPGs. The camera is terrible, you don't get many skills, the targeting is a mess, and the whole thing just turns to shit when there's more than about 2 enemies... and that's a lot of times. You have almost no options for AI or party member skills, unlike Tales or Kingdom Hearts. Then, even if there is some good to the combat system, the game throws everything out the fucking window when it comes to some of the few big setpiece 'bosses' in the game.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a huge backlash over the series ditching any kind of turn-based or hybrid battle system though. I had the idea in my head FFXV was some kind of hybrid system for a long time just because I would expect to find a bunch of threads expressing an RE4-style rejection of the direction the series is going.

Personally I was a little bit bummed that a mainline game would ditch the turn-based stuff for action. I prefer turn-based, but I've liked quite a few action oriented RPGs. Tales games are pretty damned fun, a few of the Star Ocean games were nice, Kingdom Hearts was fun. On the western front I liked Dragon Age and loved The Witcher.

This is worse than those by a large margin.

MrDenny

Just got to chapter 14.
The story feels rushed and so random.
I didn't think it could get worse than FFXIII, but at least it had a story.

Ishida

Banned
This is an action RPG.

Yep, pretty much this. The combat is pretty good, engaging and flashy. And the amount of combat features at your disposal is mind blowing.

My favorite combat system in the series.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

FF fans has never been ones to reject changes, hell, we're used to it since practically every single main game iteration in this series brings something different, and besides, "real time" is something that FF has flirted around many times before so it's not like the fans aren't "prepared", so to speak. And Square has good track record with Kingdom Hearts series, after all.

This game's combat is 'okay', I guess, and that's the kindest term I can give to it. For me personally, it's stupid lock-on mechanics and utterly horrendous camera implementation really drag it down. Thankfully at the very least the various battle themes in this game are great so they alleviate the pain somewhat.

GAF DID overreact about it. And still does. It's a minority but it's extremely vocal though.

Also, it would be interesting if someone actually make some sort of a poll to measure whether the fans actually like the change to the combat system in FFXV or not, instead of simply "guessing" that the ones that don't like it are just an "extremely vocal minority."

RDreamer

Yep, pretty much this. The combat is pretty good, engaging and flashy. And the amount of combat features at your disposal is mind blowing.

My favorite combat system in the series.

What!?

Did we play different games? The amount of 'combat features' at your disposal pales in comparison to literally every action RPG I've ever played.

Reset

It was only a matter of time for the series to change to an action based rpg. Turn based gameplay as a AAA title? Pshhh. I welcome this change.
XV's combat system is fun, and it's taken X's crown as having the best gameplay in the series. :]

Ishida

Banned
It was only a matter of time for the series to change to an action based rpg. Turn based gameplay as a AAA title? Pshhh. I welcome this change.
XV's combat system is fun, and it's taken X's crown as having the best gameplay in the series. :]

For me it took the first spot from X-2.

But yeah, I also love X's combat!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What!?

Did we play different games? The amount of 'combat features' at your disposal pales in comparison to literally every action RPG I've ever played.

Why they didn't include simple stuff like "if you are poisoned use antidote" or "if you are below %HP use elixir/potion" is beyond me.

Post game content in FFXV basically changed FFXV to Press R2 Use Item Simulator basically. If only they could include something as simple as that the battle would have flown so much smoother.

X is still king and I will fight to the last drop of my blood to defend it >:D

That game is old-school Final Fantasy combat tuned to perfection.

RDreamer

I see. I haven't played those games then.

Tales? Star Ocean? Kingdom Hearts? Witcher? Dragon Age?

I'd honestly put it near last. Possibly the first three might be underneath it for gameplay depending on what version you're talking about with them.

Hard for me to really rank them, but I'd say XII, XIII, and X are probably the top three.

Sinistral

Why they didn't include simple stuff like "if you are poisoned use antidote" or "if you are below %HP use elixir/potion" is beyond me.

Post game content in FFXV basically changed FFXV to Press R2 Use Item Simulator basically. If only they could include something as simple as that the battle would have flown so much smoother.

Gambits ala FF12 would have been a godsend.

Yeah.. well, you'll be missing out Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI then.

I mean, how come we conclude that people are happy with the change just like that? XV combat is indeed good, but the atrocious targeting and camera really kills the overall fun, afterall. We won't have to deal with the issues in turn based.

This. XV is missing the gambit system.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gambits ala FF12 would have been a godsend.

Yeap, even just for item use! Begs the question why they didn't implement that.

Probably the dude that decides not to implement that is the same dude who designed the camera and the lock on system.

AND THE SAME DUDE THAT PUT 3 RED GIANT + NAGA + CRITTERS ROOM IN COSTLEMARK.

X is still king and I will fight to the last drop of my blood to defend it >:D

That game is old-school Final Fantasy combat tuned to perfection.

I like the execution of everything about it except the really bland "use char X on enemy Y" weakness-based gameplay. It felt so rote.

Top Bottom