• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ishida

Banned
So can the chocobo go any faster? finally got one.

I see a st bar, but I have no clue how to deplete it.

Yes. There are specific Greens you can feed it during Camps to increase their skills, like stamina, speed, gliding, etc. Also they level up the more you ride them, and can even help you in battle (You can also fight while riding them).

Press the square button to sprint.

Zaverious

So how does summons work in this game? I'm at chapter 10 and only been able to summon twice during fights. And both were seemingly random (at least I think it was random). I saw the Hold L2 button prompt to Summon and it happened.

Is summoning in this game contextual or am I missing something? Will I be able to summon at will at a later point? I'm confused!

Summons are dependent on you and your party getting in danger or KO status and how long a battles goes on. The particular one that appears depends on whether you're indoors or outdoors or by a body of water. You can't summon at will and are more likely to see Ramuh out of all of them as his conditions are the easiest to fill.

Yes. There are specific Greens you can feed it during Camps to increase their skills, like stamina, speed, gliding, etc. Also they level up the more you ride them, and can even help you in battle (You can also fight while riding them).

Press the square button to sprint.

Great. My game is glitched than ... :(

Pressing square does nothing.
Can I Throw away this lv 2 chocobo i have?

How can I start fresh, I've saved already.

Kazzy

Just get off it, fast-travel somewhere else, let the rental on the Chocobo run expire. I'd be very surprised if that 'sticks'.

Did you change your control scheme? I'm using Type-A. You also have to be running to sprint.

I didn't know there was a different control setting, so press r2 than hold square?

BTW, I'm still level one, and so far i got 3 royal weapons and just beat the dead eye....why is the game so easy, geez?

I would have hated it if I didn't have the level stopper.

N° 2048

Happened to me during a story quest but came back shortly after. I thought it was glitched too.

It's the quest where the Regalia gets taken away from you.

I thought I'd stop playing FFXV after finishing the game but now I can't stop playing. Just got the flying Regalia. Going to do some side quests and try all the dungeons + post game stuffs.

This game is a love / hate relationship :p

The good definitely outweighs the bad. I know I sounded a bit miffed in one of my posts a few pages back. Chapter 13 got to me but then Chapter 14 + ending was absolutely glorious.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jeez, the close up camera is pretty awe inspiring with some of the detail you see. Too bad it's not practical to fight with on.

He's blind. He's going to slow you down and Gladio will demand that you go slower.

Personally, I just couldn't leave Ignis behind. I would've felt like an ass. I took him with me and actually walked slowly so he could follow me. I grew very fond of these characters...
I'm assuming he's half blind because he's walking about so he must at least see at some rate right? The game hasn't explained his condition very well.

Summons are dependent on you and your party getting in danger or KO status and how long a battles goes on. The particular one that appears depends on whether you're indoors or outdoors or by a body of water. You can't summon at will and are more likely to see Ramuh out of all of them as his conditions are the easiest to fill.
Thanks. I miss being able
to summon gods at will.
The game also does a shitty job at explaining how the summons work.

Edgeward

Killed the hidden boss. Between the wonky camera, the ridiculous health, finicky targeting system and silly physics in general this was the most disappointing boss fight in a FF I've played. Really boring as well. Just spamming overwhelm and armiger over and over till he died. Couldn't even target the neck sometimes because the system just want to look into the farthest body part instead of right next to me.

Be easier if they allowed for a no targeting mode ala Monster Hunter for these instances.

Now all that's left is the survival trophy. uggggghhhhh

Okay, this Umbra gameplay mechanic is poorly explained. I'm currently at
Altissa
. How does the Umbra mechanic work? It feels like it lets me go backwards in the story. Does that mean I have to redo everything from that point?

Man I don't like Altissa at all. I thought Lestallum was annoying because it's big and you can't sprint. Altissa is worse because on top of the problems I had with Lestallum, the place is like a maze, and you have "fast travel" by boat.

massoluk

Banned
Altissa
. How does the Umbra mechanic work? It feels like it lets me go backwards in the story. Does that mean I have to redo everything from that point?
Also, why didn't Noctis and Luna just exchange phone number instead of subject Umbra to perpetual exile

Edgeward

Altissa

No, you are just allowed to go back to finish up any quests you want to do. It's done that way because for story reasons, you wouldn't be able to go back to that place within the story's framework.

Kazzy

Altissa

Man I don't like Altissa at all. I thought Lestallum was annoying because it's big and you can't sprint. Altissa is worse because on top of the problems I had with Lestallum, the place is like a maze, and you have "fast travel" by boat.

Anywhere you can rest, you'll be given the option to call Umbra. Going back to the open-world carries over everything, and then back again. You lose absolutely no progress.

So he's essentially a fast-travel option out of the story.

No, you are just allowed to go back to finish up any quests you want to do. It's done that way because for story reasons, you wouldn't be able to go back to that place within the story's framework.

So Umbra is just some other fast travel to other hotels (I assume) whenever you get locked out of the open world due to the story?

Edgeward

So Umbra is just some other fast travel to other hotels (I assume) whenever you get locked out of the open world due to the story?

Not necessarily any hotel you wish
just a choice between Altissa and Lucis because they are considered different arcs of the story
. But yes, that's basically it.

One thing that happened to me during my playthrough was when I was in the dungeon with
Areana
; at one point the camera just completely broke. It wouldn't budget no matter how much I tried and it stayed fixed as if I was playing RE1 or something. It was also facing the front of Noctis so I couldn't see in front of me. Ended up having to restart the game but it never happened again after that. Did anyone else have that happen to them?

Nydius

Also, why didn't Noctis and Luna just exchange phone number instead of subject Umbra to perpetual exile

I can't remember if I read this on a wiki or if it was (briefly) explained in game but only the people of Lucis had access to cell phones and they were used as standard communication devices for royalty and the Crownsguard. Since Luna was in empire controlled territory, she didn't have a phone to exchange numbers with.

It's another one of those concepts which make no sense given his cell phone worked outside of Lucis but that's how it was explained.

Edit:

Whatever rest area you call Umbra from last is where Umbra will take you when you go back in time again. Say your doing a bit of XP/AP hunt grinding up at Verinas Mart and decide to go back to Altissia or the present time, so you call Umbra from the caravan outside the mart. The next time you return to past Lucis, you will be returned outside of that caravan. Additionally, time flows differently in each area. For example, if you're in past Lucis and it's noon, regardless of what time it is next time you call Umbra to return to Lucis again, it will be noon again. A handy thing to remember if you go back to do any grinding to manage time-related food buffs.

It's a really good choice though, as the
Altissa
hotel gives 3x exp for 30,000 gil and you can fast travel there while in the open world.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I can't remember if I read this on a wiki or if it was (briefly) explained in game but only the people of Lucis had access to cell phones and they were used as standard communication devices for royalty and the Crownsguard. Since Luna was in empire controlled territory, she didn't have a phone to exchange numbers with.

It's another one of those concepts which make no sense given his cell phone worked outside of Lucis but that's how it was explained.

That's a lazy ass explanation if I ever see one, sheeeeeeesh.

massoluk

Banned

I see, so the solution is to have Umbra swims across the ocean delivering message

Nydius

I see, so the solution is to have Umbra swims across the ocean delivering message

I agree in that I wasn't a fan of the entire cell phone mechanic because it seemed limited only to the four. Yeah, we occasionally got phone calls from a VERY SMALL handful of NPCs in Lucis along the way (notably Cid, Cindy, and Wiz) but we never saw them with a phone. As much time as I spent in Lestallum, I can't recall if I ever saw any NPC holding or using a phone either. So it really felt like it was something limited to Insomnia or the really rich folk of Lucis alone.

That said, I'm doubt Umbra swam. IIRC, Umbra and Pryna were supposed to be magical creatures tied to Noctis and Luna specifically. Like Gentiana, I imagine they have the ability to appear at will to either of them.

Xadjim

Banned
People who thinks that FFXV's combat is mediocre havent really explored it yet.
I unfortunately think it could be better. there are small things that break the flow. Kingdom hearts 2 for instance never required you to pause the game while fighting and thats how its done.

ryhannura

Neo Member
Are SE add hard difficulty or at least allows enemies to scale with your level? I'm at chapter 2, doing a lot of sidequests and even though I already died a few times, I still find the game a little easy...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Lol yeah sure okay.

Are SE add hard difficulty or at least allows enemies to scale with your level? I'm at chapter 2, doing a lot of sidequests and even though I already died a few times, I still find the game a little easy...

Nah, there is no level scaling or dynamic level in this game at all. Everything is already set.

And no, NG+ doesn't change things.

Dalex

One thing that happened to me during my playthrough was when I was in the dungeon with
Areana
; at one point the camera just completely broke. It wouldn't budget no matter how much I tried and it stayed fixed as if I was playing RE1 or something. It was also facing the front of Noctis so I couldn't see in front of me. Ended up having to restart the game but it never happened again after that. Did anyone else have that happen to them?

I have had the camera freeze much closer to noctis in lestallum. Not the samme issue as yours, it simply got much closer to me, made it feel like a gears of war game, could still turn the camera in all directions, just not zoom it out. Saved the game and restarted, the lower FoV wasn't great

Cloukyo

Banned

Character customisation was fairly non-existent in FFXV as far as I remember? Aside from changing a few skills, that was it.

I think that really have helped with adding something to the game's combat. Otherwise the game really was too easy and didn't require or give any incentive to explore the combat.

Lol yeah sure okay.

Nah, there is no level scaling or dynamic level in this game at all. Everything is already set.

And no, NG+ doesn't change things.

Really is. Input based moves, ability to change weapons on the fly, flanking, dodging, air-steps, armiger, tech skills, magic...

There's videos out there that shows combos that you can pull off with Spears, Greatswords too. It's not Platinum quality, but once you get good at it you can rack some pretty impressive damage while dodging and flying like a mofo.

The Witcher 3 has a better combat system than FFXV. I'm not even joking.

Love The Witcher 3. When it comes to combat however I have to say FFXV's is the most fun.

Ferr986

The problem is that the story is so easy and it's even more easy to overlevel that you really don't utilize much of the combat mechanics because you can jush hold attack to win.

Combat really shines in post-game with difficult enemies and when you get more skills. It's not Dragon's Dogma, but very good.

SHarris78

Gonna finish the game this evening but have a question about levelling up. Firstly, once you finish the game I take it you can still play that particular save game and you don't HAVE to start a NG+?

Levelling up quickly - load up my completed save file, travel to the 'open world', eat an exp boosting meal, get into a battle (enemy difficulty doesn't matter) cast a full power spell (including using all of my 22 rare coins for the exp boost), stay at the hotel in Altissa, job done?

Is all this correct or have a missed something out? I'll be level 70 when I finish the story so I'm hoping doing the above will get me close to level 99?

Cloukyo

Banned
The problem is that the story is so easy and it's even more easy to overlevel that you really don't utilize much of the combat mechanics because you can jush hold attack to win.

Combat really shines in post-game with difficult enemies and when you get more skills. It's not Dragon's Dogma, but very good.

Genuinely curious, what extra stuff can the characters do once you get post game? I finished the story by timing my dodges ok and holding attack, using party attacks and arminger sometimes. Even if I got one-shotted, hi-potions were cheap so I could keep spamming them.

Exentryk

Witcher 3 has much better encounter design than FFXV. The devs are much more sensible and have carefully chosen enemy sizes and enemy numbers in a battle. Witcher 3 has its issues but the battles don't feel like a mess like they do in XV.

XV is just a hot mess. Crazy number of enemies in a single battle most of which don't even telegraph attacks. The camera and lock-on are bigger threats in a battle than the enemies themselves. Noctis is way too overanimated and the devs don't really understand these animations make the combat less responsive (do you really need Noctis stopping and animating every time he switches a weapon?). Automated link-strikes is in itself a bad idea, but having useful abilities like Analyse automated and with no control over when AI will use it is a really poor design decision.

Something that is great in XV is warp strike and aerial combat. Fighting enemies that are about Iron Giant or Bandersnatch size is the best. If XV devs planned their encounters and designed monsters according to their battle system, it would have been better.

I hope someone takes the best aspect from this game (warping) and uses it in another better designed combat system.

P.S. - Having said all that, I had more fun with XV's combat just because warping and aerial combat feels so good.

Cloukyo

Banned
Witcher 3 has much better encounter design than FFXV. The devs are much more sensible and have carefully chosen enemy sizes and enemy numbers in a battle. Witcher 3 has its issues but the battles don't feel like a mess like they do in XV.

XV is just a hot mess. Crazy number of enemies in a single battle most of which don't even telegraph attacks. The camera and lock-on are bigger threats in a battle than the enemies themselves. Noctis is way too overanimated and the devs don't really understand these animations make the combat less responsive (do you really need Noctis stopping and animating every time he switches a weapon?). Automated link-strikes is in itself a bad idea, but having useful abilities like Analyse automated and with no control over when AI will use it is a really poor design decision.

Something that is great in XV is warp strike and aerial combat. Fighting enemies that are about Iron Giant or Bandersnatch size is the best. If XV devs planned their encounters and designed monsters according to their battle system, it would have been better.

I hope someone takes the best aspect from this game (warping) and uses it in another better designed combat system.

P.S. - Having said all that, I had more fun with XV's combat just because warping and aerial combat is so much fun.

That's less about the combat and more about the camera though. Which I think everyone agrees is terrible.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's less about the combat and more about the camera though. Which I think everyone agrees is terrible.

...but the camera is an inseparable part of the combat system. You can't just say the camera sucks but the battle system is good! they're intertwined, inseparable.

The camera in FFXV is so horrible it drags down the entire package entirely.

Exentryk

Did you read the post?

Large number of enemies, barely any telegraphing, enemies designed around fast paced combat system while Noctis is designed around a slower hybrid system, crazily large sized enemies, overly animated, automated moves, no AI control, etc.

...but the camera is an inseparable part of the combat system. You can't just say the camera sucks but the battle system is good! they're intertwined, inseparable.

Camera is not horrible (other than not having foliage disappearing when you're near it), but just ok.

It's just something you occasionally wrestle with, but it's not like I didnt have to do the same on Witcher 3.

theofficefan99

I was like some other posters at first. "Camera is the worst thing I've ever experienced in a game but the combat can be fun at times!"

Nah. It only works when there's 3 or less enemies, if you're outside, and if there are no bushes or trees anywhere near you. Because the lock-on isn't functional at all either.

Then there's the issues the game has with party members and lack of being able to dictate their AI in any way, only being able to equip one party member technique, different abilities relegated to which direction you're holding the analog stick (?????????????????), designing the game around holding a button to attack, long, un-cancel-able animations, etc. etc.

piggychan

it certainly feels a little crazy at times.

NbHzPY6.gif

Top Bottom