• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Kazzy

Chapter 10 and 11 really showed me that I wasn't prepared for how bad the storytelling is! Almost everything that happens is just matter of fact, really important things happen off-screen, and it's just a collection of vignettes, essentially. Most of the story is quickly delivered through the chapter loading screens too, what is this?!

Before this point, the story wasn't spectacular, but it was serviceable alongside the world, although I did raise my eyebrow a few times at some things. For as much as the internet community seems incapable of not talking in hyperbole, I can't help but now agree with all those people saying it was a game of two halves.

I should have known things were going a bit dodgy when Glado suddenly ducked out for a chapter earlier on, only to return scarred up, and there's basically no payoff or explanation as to why.

"I had things to do." Well, you did a little bit more than that!

And now Ignis is blinded, and it happens totally off-screen.

Glado being annoyed at Noctis moping is interesting (although your fiancée and dad being killed off in short order, as well as the power you've gained is potentially going to overwhelm and kill you, are pretty much the best justification you could get), but then the loading screen for the subsequent chapter informs me that they've now patched things up :lol: Obviously it was going that way, but the frostiness of the dialogue still suggested they had some way to go.

And now I'm at the endgame, and nope. That literally was the resolution. A loading screen summary...

Luna's involvement so far has been completely baffling. No buildup. No interaction, and her significance is continually underplayed, despite being one of the key players.

Even as someone who has watched Kingsglaive and Brotherhood, they've done very little to explain why certain, very important characters and events, deserve my attention. I feel like I'm just being told things at this point.

I still really enjoy the game, all this said. I just wanted to get a few little things off of my chest, because the threads about the cut content, and trailer differences, make me slightly sad that this could have been even better!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I like the execution of everything about it except the really bland "use char X on enemy Y" weakness-based gameplay. It felt so rote.

You mean FFX? It's nice since it actually pushed you to switch out characters in and out and besides, the process is very very painless to execute. Also, end-game FFX gifts you with soooooooooooooo many customization options it's not even an issue anymore.

FFX completely blows FFXV away in terms of character customization.

The only slight, well a rather BIG one I must admit, against FFX is how tedious the quests for various ultimate weapons are. Though I suppose FFXV with its various 100 floors dungeons are not that much better.

RDreamer

X is still king and I will fight to the last drop of my blood to defend it >:D

That game is old-school Final Fantasy combat tuned to perfection.

X is pretty damned good. After finishing XV I went back to my half-finished play through of X and it's stunning how much better the combat and enemy encounter design variety is compared to XV.... and the story pacing...

The only slight, well a rather BIG one I must admit, against FFX is how tedious the quests for various ultimate weapons are. Though I suppose FFXV with its various 100 floors dungeons are not that much better.

Yeah, fuck those things. I'm at the end of the game now and was looking at them again and just had to shake my head and say, yet again, "no thanks."

FFX is for me the ff that went over board on side quests for completion. Whoever thought dodging lighting bolts was a good idea needs another slap.

Also put me into team awesome combat for ffxv

Kazzy

FFX is for me the ff that went over board on side quests for completion. Whoever thought dodging lighting bolts was a good idea needs another slap.

Also put me into team awesome combat for ffxv

I played through the entirety of FFX again this year (it's great on the Vita), and yeah, the post-story content gets pretty rough. Oddly, I remember having almost no issue with it when I originally played it, and quite liked the abstractness of how to get everything.

The monster capturing and leveling for Penance though, well, that's just a lesson in futility. So tedious. There's little wonder that I've never actually saw that stuff through to the end.

Conversely, I've done a complete 360 on the story. Really appreciate it now, and realize that the tone overall is much more somber that I had remembered.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, fuck those things. I'm at the end of the game now and was looking at them again and just had to shake my head and say, yet again, "no thanks."

Is the reward for actually completing the sealed dungeons good?

Wait, not "good" since of course "strongest weapons in the game" is good but rather, are they meaningful in that you actually use those weapons to do something?

In FFX (lol this feels like a war hahaha) even if you have gotten everyone's ultimate weapons to their strongest there are still tons of content that could test your mettle with so many overpowered enemies to best such as the Dark Aeons or Penance, where you feel like you're getting those ultimate weapons actually mattered in order to best FFX's toughest contents.

Does FFXV actually have something similar to that?

I'm really digging the combat in FFXV. Having a turn based battle system/random battles in an open world just wouldn't feel right.
After playing FFXV I'm almost hoping FF7remake has a similar battle system just because its so much fun.

The perfection of the old school gameplay was X-2 though. The combat mixed in with the job classes was perfect.

Very end (last chapter) spoilers:

On chapter 14 I have Noctis at 41 and everyone else around 37-38. Should I level up through reminiscing before starting the final stretch of the game?

On chapter 14 I have Noctis at 41 and everyone else around 37-38. Should I level up through reminiscing before starting the final stretch of the game?

Level wise you should be fine. I'd leave that reminiscing for later (i.e post game content)

Kazzy

I was at the exact same levels, and yeah, I dropped back into the world to level up.

But that was mainly to get some money and get my supplies up. Was fighting stuff whilst trying to be ultra-conservative with everything, which just sort of exacerbated the whole situation.

Crazy how the game has you go so long without the opportunity to gather more materials, really.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm really digging the combat in FFXV. Having a turn based battle system/random battles in an open world just wouldn't feel right.
After playing FFXV I'm almost hoping FF7remake has a similar battle system just because its so much fun.

The perfection of the old school gameplay was X-2 though. The combat mixed in with the job classes was perfect.

In open wide spaces FFXV's combat is okay since the camera has room to maneuver. Well, unless you are fighting a big monster like Bennu since for some reason when fighting a huge monster the camera either: pan to the feet real close you can't see shit or pan from so high up that you can't even see Noct and the dudes as they are obscured by the monster.

It is doable but yeah, level up more. At that level you'll most likely just run away from many of the enemies prowling the level, hahaha.

BriGuy

So that diner guy in Old Lestallum... does anyone else think the "Kenny" he's referring to is the nickname he gave his junk? Major creeper vibes. I'm glad I'm finally finished with his hunts.

muteki

Wait mode is sort of turn based and wait mode should be renamed easy mode.
The only difficulty added by not doing wait mode is having to fight the lockon system to deal with hoardes and packs and having to trial and error the enemy weaknesses. Its artificial.

Wait mode isn't really more turn based it just makes clusterfuck battles with many small enemies something manageable. The enemy AI is written around a real-time battle system and would need to be completely different on a fundamental level before we could suggest wait mode is anything like turn based systems.

Gbraga

Is the reward for actually completing the sealed dungeons good?

Wait, not "good" since of course "strongest weapons in the game" is good but rather, are they meaningful in that you actually use those weapons to do something?

In FFX (lol this feels like a war hahaha) even if you have gotten everyone's ultimate weapons to their strongest there are still tons of content that could test your mettle with so many overpowered enemies to best such as the Dark Aeons or Penance, where you feel like you're getting those ultimate weapons actually mattered in order to best FFX's toughest contents.

Does FFXV actually have something similar to that?

It would if they did NG+ right and made the game harder >_<

RDreamer

Wait mode is sort of turn based and wait mode should be renamed easy mode.

Wait mode should probably be renamed "Just use this because the camera fucking sucks and at least with this you can figure out what the hell is going on. Also, you can scan enemies with this, because lord knows you have no fucking control over whether Ignis ever gets off his lazy ass and does it himself"

I guess that would be too long.

It's also not turn based at all.

I don't get this harder ng+ crying because how on Earth would SE balance a "harder" ng+ for people who both beelined the story and completionist types. Multiple difficulties trails style sure but most of those aren't well balanced at all.

Kazzy

The only difficulty added by not doing wait mode is frantically fighting the lockon system to choose what enemy to fight and having to trial and error the enemy weaknesses. Its artificial.

Wait mode isn't really more turn based it just makes clusterfuck battles with many small enemies into something manageable.

Yeah, I actually wouldn't consider wait mode 'cheating', because if anything, it actually would give you an opportunity to survey the battle, pay attention to weaknesses, and dig more into the combat.

I'd be lying, if I didn't say that normally I stay to a few effective tactics; attacking with blades for warping, daggers for quick attacks, and then broadswords when enemies are staggered. The only sort of attention I pay to strategy, is making sure the damage encounters aren't being classed as ineffective.

Large groups normally kind of expose the combat, in my opinion. I usually just open with magic, thin the herd. I essentially try to mitigate numbers as quickly as possible, so I can fight 'properly'.

Also, the main reason I didn't want to use wait, was that it pauses the instant you stop moving. I just would prefer to be able to 'toggle' it on/off with a button press.

Ricker

Really hate the decision to not have any saves in the story dungeons...at least give me one before the Boss...I just wasted 40 minutes in the chapter 7 dungeon and having to redo all that over and over is frustrating...and I also hate the way magic works in this FF as well...

I put the game on rest mode in the middle of my second try,I hope that works at least.

I am not sure I agree that Wait mode is a big enough feature to call an easy mode, because the aspects that make the game harder by turning it off are making enemies more annoying to target especially when you want to use magic. That, and you have to wait until Noctis finishes his movement animation and come to a full stop for it to even show up so it is only meant for tactical applications.

tbm24

Really hate the decision to not have any saves in the story dungeons...at least give me one before the Boss...I just wasted 40 minutes in the chapter 7 dungeon and having to redo all that over and over is frustrating...and I also hate the way magic works in this FF as well...

I put the game on rest mode in the middle of my second try,I hope that works at least.

It should work just fine. I fell asleep during one session waiting for time to pass without saving, came in handy.

Having the season pass and now having what almost feels like cheat accessories I now wish there was a faster way to switch from my stamina ring to no magic damage ring.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It would if they did NG+ right and made the game harder >_<

So... basically for...... nothing?

Well, except for some personal satisfaction, I guess.... If you can call completing hundreds upon hundreds of same-looking floors doing the same thing over and over and over and over again as satisfying....

Also, I really wish we can setup multiple techs at the same time, and so during battles we can just keep pressing L1 + direction multiple times to use multiple techs without actually need to pause the battle to go to the menu and change gear and whatever... so inefficient.....

Minamu

What's the consensus on Costlemark Tower? I just finished it at around lvl 64, and it was super difficult, but not really in a fun way tbh. Had I not brought an excessive amount of ellxirs, I wouldn't have made it past the ice bombs :/ Could've used magic on them but never bothered so that's on me. But overall, the design and textures were a bit repetitive, looking pretty much identical to some other places I've been to. I got most of the items, are they any good?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's the consensus on Costlemark Tower? I just finished it at around lvl 64, and it was super difficult, but not really in a fun way tbh. Had I not brought an excessive amount of ellxirs, I wouldn't have made it past the ice bombs :/ Could've used magic on them but never bothered so that's on me. But overall, the design and textures were a bit repetitive, looking pretty much identical to some other places I've been to. I got most of the items, are they any good?

Electric bombs, you mean :)

IIRC you can actually just run past everything up until the puzzle room.

As far as I can tell not many people is a fan of Costlemark, hahahah.

Kaizer

Banned

I felt I got off lucky with Costlemark - I did it yesterday at LVL. 69 & had little trouble with it. I ate a dish at Galdin Quay that basically made me invincible to elemental status ailments so the bombs & other monsters didn't affect me.

During the part with 3 Red Giants, Ramuh showed up & took care of things. The final battle arena was cool looking. After all the doom & gloom I'd heard about the dungeon, I sorta came away from it feeling like it wasn't remotely a big deal.

Just reached Chapter 7, I'm about to do the dungeon in the Vesperpool area. 41 hours on the clock, level 44.

I'm enjoying it - I really am. The story is Bad with a capital B, but everything else is really good stuff. Combat, the core party of four (and their dialogue), the environment - really, little to no complaints with that stuff. The camera gets a bit wonky during some battles out in the fields - trees and bushes often get in the way. And it's not very good in tight spaces, but..

But the story - yeesh. You guys weren't kidding. No coherency to it at all. It's jumping all over the place and it really does feel unfinished.

I'm surprised how much I'm loving the game despite how messy the story is.

It's pretty obvious playing the game that there's a disconnect between the main story and the bro road trip thing they have going. The main cast (and the underused guest characters) are all excellent and the banter and interactions are all great, so it's weird how poor the rest of it all is. I haven't gotten to the apparently poor Chapter 9+ yet so I can't comment, but I wish they had focused more on an adventure/exploration element to the story. I wonder if they just felt forced into using elements of versusXIII and weren't able to properly apply those to their new idea of the game or what.

JaseMath

Just got through
the cutscene on the train where Gladio puts it to Noctis.
Finally, emotion that didn't feel forced and created some honest tension. FINALLY.

EDIT:
I feel so bad for Ignis. :( I hope he doesn't stay blind (but don't spoil me by telling me the answer).

Kazzy

Just got through
the cutscene on the train where Gladio puts it to Noctis.
Finally, emotion that didn't feel forced and created some honest tension. FINALLY.

I honestly think Gladio comes across as a little insensitive there. It's not like Noctis is actively not doing anything, he's just sullen, which is totally understandable.

So how does summons work in this game? I'm at chapter 10 and only been able to summon twice during fights. And both were seemingly random (at least I think it was random). I saw the Hold L2 button prompt to Summon and it happened.

Is summoning in this game contextual or am I missing something? Will I be able to summon at will at a later point? I'm confused!

The way to beat costlemark with ease is simply by the elemental immunity food from galdin quay.

JaseMath

I honestly think Gladio comes across as a little insensitive there. It's not like Noctis is actively not doing anything, he's just sullen, which is totally understandable.

Yeah, but it's weeks later. In real life&#8211;all things being equal&#8211;I'd be pretty miffed too if I was Gladio.
Everyone grieves in their own way on their own time, but Noctis is the king of kings, his homeland is falling, and should to be held to a higher standard.

Kazzy

Yeah, but it's weeks later. In real life–all things being equal–I'd be pretty miffed too if I was Gladio.
Everyone grieves in their own way on their own time, but Noctis is the king of kings, his homeland is falling, and should to be held to a higher standard.

But your father and fiancee are both dead, within literally weeks of one another. If you're going to grieve, that would be the time! He's also been unconscious, so it's not like that time-frame is fair to apply to him.

Like, I get it in Brotherhood, because Noctis is completely aloof and flippant, but here? Not really...

So. On chapter 10 the game's giving me the option to
take Ignis along or leave him behind
. What the hell? I'm presumably going into a dungeon (
the mines) why would I want to leave him behind?
Is there a better/worse choice here???

Ishida

Banned
So. On chapter 10 the game's giving me the option to
take Ignis along or leave him behind
. What the hell? I'm presumably going into a dungeon (
the mines) why would I want to leave him behind?
Is there a better/worse choice here???

He's blind. He's going to slow you down and Gladio will demand that you go slower.

Personally, I just couldn't leave Ignis behind. I would've felt like an ass. I took him with me and actually walked slowly so he could follow me. I grew very fond of these characters...

Top Bottom