• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Zakalwe

Banned
XV battle system is the best in the series, imo.

Aside from a few areas where the camera gets awakened, combat flows incredibly well.

I'd love to see some videos of gameplay from the calling it unruly...

Mailbox

Did you read the post?

Large number of enemies, barely any telegraphing, enemies designed around fast paced combat system while Noctis is designed around a slower hybrid system, crazily large sized enemies, overly animated, automated moves, no AI control, etc.

I'll give you AI control, but your other points aren't quite right.

- Large number of enemies isn't ever really a problem outside of Costlemark (which I agree is a problem there).
- Enemies actually do have quite a bit of telegraphing and you can actually time your blinks to hitboxes once you get that shit down (helps a lot during a level 1 run).
- Enemies are in fact, not designed around a fast combat system, but are instead design in 1 of 2 ways, meant for defense focus or attack focus from the player. In fact, if you play a fight slow and steady: dodge a lot, roll around, do more techs, use the
shield of the just
, handle your warp points and crouch zones, you'd see that the enemies are in fact actually designed for much slower combat. Outside of maybe some of the superbosses like
Naglfar and the Sir tombarries
, but even they can be handled with attrition of defense and dodging (not even talking items here) rather than brute force.
- Noctis is designed for whatever style you want. Want fast? Daggers. Want slow? Broadsword. Want options? Spear. Seriously, the fact that the sword of the wise's stock move set is literally a quick warp to your enemy should be enough to tell you that that noct is more what you make of him than what the system makes of you.
- As for overly animated, I don't have a problem with it, most dodging, blinking, and phasing happen prior to an animation finish anyway, and once you get blink the aura from its frame-window helps a lot with dodging.

If you guys have reservations about the battle system I seriously suggest turning on wait mode and thinking of it as sort of an action variant to a strategy rpg rather than something like a character-action or kingdom hearts. Do more dodge rolling and defense, and time your attacks better. If you really wanna see what the combat system is about, you can always try the first few chapters again through a level 1 run and really experience a need to delve in.

it certainly feels a little crazy at times.

NbHzPY6.gif

I don't see the crazy in that. An iron giant is in the middle of that gathering move, and Gladio is doing a tech. Sure there are a bunch of MT's there, but they are pretty irrelevant since the tech involved is a huge AOE, so they are effected anyway. Currently Noct and Gladio are invisible, so no other stimuli need be accounted for. I see no issue with that gif.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Camera is not horrible (other than not having foliage disappearing when you're near it), but just ok.

It's just something you occasionally wrestle with, but it's not like I didnt have to do the same on Witcher 3.

Disagree completely, on both the bolded. Especially if you go to dungeons, where multiple enemies (heck, sometimes even a single enemy) paired with enclosed spaces make the camera spazzing all over the place. Especially so if they put a big enemy/enemies in dungeons, you can just forget about finesse or situational awareness other than occasionally push square when the game prompts you to parry or pop in an item to heal hp/cure ailment/whatever. It's not elegant in the slightest.

I was like some other posters at first. "Camera is the worst thing I've ever experienced in a game but the combat can be fun at times!"

Nah. It only works when there's 3 or less enemies, if you're outside, and if there are no bushes or trees anywhere near you. Because the lock-on isn't functional at all either.

Then there's the issues the game has with party members and lack of being able to dictate their AI in any way, only being able to equip one party member technique, different abilities relegated to which direction you're holding the analog stick (?????????????????), designing the game around holding a button to attack, long, un-cancel-able animations, etc. etc.

Really, for me the whole mechanic of the battle system itself is actually fine, enjoyable even. It's just that the camera totally drags everything down with it for me.

Zakalwe

Banned
The camera is fine in the /vast/ majority of situations. If you really think the system is clunky overall to the extent some of you are suggesting, I'm going to need to see some gameplay from you.

I can guarantee there are things you're not doing well and it isn't the system's fault.

Mailbox

Disagree completely, on both the bolded. Especially if you go to dungeons, where multiple enemies (heck, sometimes even a single enemy) paired with enclosed spaces make the camera spazzing all over the place. Especially so if they put a big enemy/enemies in dungeons, you can just forget about finesse or situational awareness other than occasionally push square when the game prompts you to parry or pop in an item to heal hp/cure ailment/whatever. It's not elegant in the slightest.

Really, for me the whole mechanic of the battle system itself is actually fine, enjoyable even. It's just that the camera totally drags everything down with it for me.

use less lock on unless you are altering camera position in dungeons. When you are not locked on, the camera auto corrects itself to accommodate the player. Its hard to get used to not locking on, but its worth it. Also, wait mode has a much much better camera system when in the wait function (idk why, but it works so much better its weird).

I mean, I get where you're coming from with the camera, i really do, but I've gotten used to its shortcomings and learned to work around it at this point lol

I can guarantee there are things you're not doing well and it isn't the system's fault.

It goes both ways actually. I noticed the camera loves to go about 45 degrees and a bit away from nocts head when it closes up, which causes lots of disorientation in really close spaces or spaces where camera acts as "impeded". The camera is weird. It "should" act like it does in wait mode since that camera works very well, but it never does. Some enemy lock ons put the camera in awkward positions that hurt the experience more than help it. Ronins and giants are good examples of this. As for normal camera, it just likes to zoom in when it deems it is "close to object obstructing path" but it doesn't zoom straight forward, it makes a weird b-line for up-right of nocts head, which is just bizzare and messes with people.

The camera has a lot of design issues, lets not make light of it, but I do agree that its not "worst thing it the world unplayable".

Mailbox

If you don't think there is a problem there then nevermind.

I literally did a run down on why that gif has literally nothing wrong in it and is actually really easy to figure out everything that is going on in it. it isn't confusing nor is it a mess.

-Enemy: Iron giant: using Demi to round up allies and enemies
-Enemy set: MT's, being gathered
- Ally: Gladio: Doing 3-bar tech which is an AOE Will not be hurt until Tech is over.
- Noct: will not die, or be severely hurt until tech is over.

Please, what is the issue you see, I'm curious!

Edit, just as an FYI, I actually do like it when 1 or more dropships come in while I'm fighting a pack of animals. Makes the fight feel like a story and a really clash of factions.

I dunno, maybe I'd have less issue with the combat if the frame rate were doubled. The gash camera wouldn't be as jarring.

What are you playing on? Maybe its framepacing in this case. Playing on a pro on lite and I don't feel like its an issue like you do i guess. Although on that note, I'm much much more tolerant of framepacing issues while in combat so idk :S

Qurupeke

And finished! At around 40 hours and at 53 level.

I have to say, I really liked the game. It was super ambitious though, and unfortunately, it seemed to promise a lot that it didn't deliver. I'm especially disappointed that you can't explore some areas that the game really hyped. The Lucis open world is fantastic though. Full of things to explore, and using Regalia just adds to the whole experience. They nailed the whole "road trip" feeling.

Story-wise, I'd say I was mostly satisfied, at least as far as Noctis and the main group are concerned. The main cast was really fantastic, I really liked the bromance. Unfortunately, this really doesn't apply to almost everyone else.
Most of the supporting cast is really, really underdeveloped. Cor barely does anything after the first quest. Iedolas (who?) did nothing and died. I think there was another old man on the Imperials and I'm not sure what happened to him. Ravus was hyped a lot, but he died offscreen ffs. Even Lunafreya, she had a few moments but I was expecting much more from her. It's apparent that they wanted a more complex story with many characters, but they really didn't manage to make a lot of them fit in the story. At least, I generally liked Ardyn. A real troll of a character, an antagonist that wants revenge and really doesn't care about anything else. I think they could have explained some of his actions better, but I still found him okay. The only disappointment is that we didn't get a huge alternate daemon form, but I suppose Ifrit was there for that.

So, as someone that is pretty much a first timer to the series, I've only played FF VI which I loved, I enjoyed the game despite the obvious flaws. I'm not sure how it fares as a Final Fantasy, but it was a good game. So, time for exploration and sidequests I suppose.

I'm starting to realize that the best way to deal with the camera is to take the often told wisdom Dark Souls players provide and don't lock on. Locking on seems to be best for targeting things at a range or targeting parts since the game starts to bring the camera to the ground and even behind stuff if you let it lock onto an enemy that moves aroun a lot.

AP challenges can be turned off, right? I just got one that sucked me into a cutscene that put Noctis wedged between some rocks while still counting as being in mid-air, which disabled any means of fast travelling out and forcing me to load an earlier save. I just turned off the game out of frustration but I didn't think to check the options menu before doing that.

Gbraga

I don't get this harder ng+ crying because how on Earth would SE balance a "harder" ng+ for people who both beelined the story and completionist types. Multiple difficulties trails style sure but most of those aren't well balanced at all.

They should probably balance it around completionists. People who rush through the story probably won't care about NG+ anyway.

Or make it so the first few chapters are manageable by people who rushed through the story, and gives them enough EXP to send them to 99, and then after a point everything is balanced around having a level 99 party.

What's the consensus on Costlemark Tower? I just finished it at around lvl 64, and it was super difficult, but not really in a fun way tbh. Had I not brought an excessive amount of ellxirs, I wouldn't have made it past the ice bombs :/ Could've used magic on them but never bothered so that's on me. But overall, the design and textures were a bit repetitive, looking pretty much identical to some other places I've been to. I got most of the items, are they any good?

I really enjoyed it. The game really should limit item usage in some way, though. I feel like that would actually reduce frustration by requiring strategy. For example, instead of burning through all of your elixirs, if that wasn't an option, you'd have to leave and think "what can I do to counter that?". What I did was eat at Galdin Quay, there's a food there that makes you immune to any elemental damage. Bombs were absolutely not an issue to me in Costlemark, I just hit them while I watched INVULNERABLE filling the screen.

It didn't last the whole dungeon, but by the time the buff ended, there was only one bomb encounter left.

JoeNut

The Witcher 3 has a better combat system than FFXV. I'm not even joking.

the hell dude i don't understand how you can think this way, they're both completely different but i cannot fathom how you'd think witcher is better.

On an unrelated note i just got to the bit where i undestand the OP's title, For Jared!!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm starting to realize that the best way to deal with the camera is to take the often told wisdom Dark Souls players provide and don't lock on. Locking on seems to be best for targeting things at a range or targeting parts since the game starts to bring the camera to the ground and even behind stuff if you let it lock onto an enemy that moves aroun a lot.

Proper lock on is crucial because especially against large groups, spreading damage is really not an efficient way of fighting and can drag the battles much longer, costing you valuable resources. It's much more efficient to actually focus killing one enemy at a time, before you move on to the next one.

Especially against bombs -______-

New game+ needs level scaling and needs to severely limit items. People are just breezing through the game because they chug 50 potions and elixers when they go into a dungeon.

The Costlemark sealed dungeon made me think about every single weapon and accessory i had equipped, it made me think about the magic i was crafting, it made me think about every tech that i would need and what food i should eat, and i was constantly swapping from battle to battle. It was the best part of the entire game for me and i was more of it. But when i have 500 potions and elixers its hard to get excited like that.

And you guys are being way to overly dramatic about the camera, as i previously stated it has problems and should be better, but sitting here talking about it being this game breaking thing and how Witcher 3s has a better combat system is hyperbole. I do hope they improve it with a patch.

120 hours in the game, and finished Steyliff. Got through them and the camera just fine...

...except with those Master Tonberries. Love them to bits but fuck them all the same.

Gbraga

I felt I got off lucky with Costlemark - I did it yesterday at LVL. 69 & had little trouble with it. I ate a dish at Galdin Quay that basically made me invincible to elemental status ailments so the bombs & other monsters didn't affect me.

During the part with 3 Red Giants, Ramuh showed up & took care of things. The final battle arena was cool looking. After all the doom & gloom I'd heard about the dungeon, I sorta came away from it feeling like it wasn't remotely a big deal.

Yep. I wasn't expecting it to be this manageable. Maybe the most recent patch tweaked it a bit?

Jeez, the close up camera is pretty awe inspiring with some of the detail you see. Too bad it's not practical to fight with on.

I only use that one, and I think it's better than the others. You'll have to deal with offscreen attacks, but at least you can see what the hell you're doing against groups of enemies, and that makes it much easier to react.

In most situations that it gave me some trouble, like fighting two Kujatas, I tried pulling the camera back and it was much worse.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
120 hours in the game, and finished Steyliff. Got through them and the camera just fine...

...except with those Master Tonberries. Love them to bits but fuck them all the same.

Well, I've platinumed the game so it's not like I don't have enough experience to make a proper judgment about what I really feel about the battle system... so yeay for both of us who stick to the game for long periods of time?

It's fine to disagree :)

If you don't think there is a problem there then nevermind.

Fighting the Iron giant is the worst and fighting multiple Iron giants is even more telling of how bad the camera is most of the time. Actually, fighting any monster that is same size or bigger just doesn't work. The camera tends to put you in a weird angle underneath the enemy and you loose any sense of your surroundings. Especially if there is a mob of smaller enemies attacking you as well. The camera when fighting the Iron giant in the platinum demo handled the Iron giant fight a lot better. Granted that was just one on one, but it felt more enjoyable than the encounter with them in the final game.

Also while I love The Witcher 3 more than FF XV. The combat in XV is a lot more fun, when the camera isn't working against you at least.

Exentryk

Fighting the Iron giant is the worst and fighting multiple Iron giants is even more telling of how bad the camera is most of the time. Actually, fighting any monster that is same size or bigger just doesn't work. The camera tends to put you in a weird angle underneath the enemy and you loose any sense of your surroundings. Especially if there is a mob of smaller enemies attacking you as well. The camera when fighting the Iron giant in the platinum demo handled the Iron giant fight a lot better. Granted that was just one on one, but it felt more enjoyable than the encounter with them in the final game.

Also while I love The Witcher 3 more than FF XV. The combat in XV is a lot more fun, when the camera isn't working against you at least.

Yeah, the camera is still crap, but at least with these Iron Giant sized enemies, the camera could be tweaked to work well.

Evantist

I was having trouble with combat initially, due to me moving the right stick to change camera view while there was a locked-on enemy meant that the lock-on target kept switching. If I don't move the camera, I couldn't see anything half the time.

So what I did was:
1) Changed combat camera option to "far"
2) Never lock on

After that, I didn't have much trouble with combat unless the area has lots of foliage. The foliage's obstruction to view is another story :(

I was more annoyed by the fact that if I wanted to change a party member's technique during a combat encounter I have to go into the Menu.

However, my biggest frustration so far is the frequency of the magitek army dropping in. I am not sure if I am just unlucky, but they always appear when I am in the midst of a "find a tiny sparkle on the ground" quest. The most infuriating thing is after defeating them, within 10 to 20 seconds, another reinforcement comes and interrupts the quest. A supposedly simple quest became prolonged to be disbelief.

Ferr986

Genuinely curious, what extra stuff can the characters do once you get post game? I finished the story by timing my dodges ok and holding attack, using party attacks and arminger sometimes. Even if I got one-shotted, hi-potions were cheap so I could keep spamming them.

More like some skills like infinite airstep opens up a lot the combat, and you can't really hold to win on those lvl 99 monsters, you have to swap weapons, fish for counters or link strikes.. (infinite item usage is still a problem though).

I was having trouble with combat initially, due to me moving the right stick to change camera view while there was a locked-on enemy meant that the lock-on target kept switching. If I don't move the camera, I couldn't see anything half the time.

So what I did was:
1) Changed combat camera option to "far"
2) Never lock on

After that, I didn't have much trouble with combat unless the area has lots of foliage. The foliage's obstruction to view is another story :(

I was more annoyed by the fact that if I wanted to change a party member's technique during a combat encounter I have to go into the Menu.

However, my biggest frustration so far is the frequency of the magitek army dropping in. I am not sure if I am just unlucky, but they always appear when I am in the midst of a "find a tiny sparkle on the ground" quest. The most infuriating thing is after defeating them, within 10 to 20 seconds, another reinforcement comes and interrupts the quest. A supposedly simple quest became prolonged to be disbelief.

Yeah that's why I love using Type-C, best manual camera control while fighting IMO

Exentryk

I'm using a mix of Type B and C control schemes.

//FFXV Full Game - PS4 - Type B Control Scheme Macros
//------------------------------------------------------
//----------Control Scheme-----------
// Triangle = Attack with UP Weapon
// Square = Attack with LEFT Weapon
// Circle = Attack wth RIGHT Weapon
// Cross = Jump
// R1 = Warp / Cancel (use this to get out of menus, etc.)
// R2 = Attack wth DOWN Weapon
// L1 = Phase (hold) / Roll-dodge
// L2 = Lock-on
// Touchpad Press = Techniques
// L2 (hold) + Touchpad Press = Summon
// L1 (hold) + Touchpad Press = Touchpad press default function
// L1 (hold) + Options = Tactical Menu
//------------------------------------------------------

Deku Tree

Does the pinball game ever get hard at all? I just played for like 20 minutes and it seemed impossible to lose. I had to quit out to stop playing.

Zakalwe

Banned
Jeez, the close up camera is pretty awe inspiring with some of the detail you see. Too bad it's not practical to fight with on.

It's perfectly practical to fight with closest camera. Almost every move coming from off screen will be given a prompt, and you're close enough to read your enemies slightest flinch.

Plus, as you say, it can look incredible!

MilkBeard

I don't get this harder ng+ crying because how on Earth would SE balance a "harder" ng+ for people who both beelined the story and completionist types. Multiple difficulties trails style sure but most of those aren't well balanced at all.

Simply unlocking a "hard" difficulty would be easy, and giving a description (optimal level to start: 50" etc.

Deku Tree

How does the no level gain item work? Do I still accumulate exp and when I take the item off I can gain a lot of levels all at once with my saved exp?

Also I am in the middle of chapter 10... when is the next time that I will be able to warp back to the open world?

Minamu

Electric bombs, you mean :)

IIRC you can actually just run past everything up until the puzzle room.

As far as I can tell not many people is a fan of Costlemark, hahahah.

I felt I got off lucky with Costlemark - I did it yesterday at LVL. 69 & had little trouble with it. I ate a dish at Galdin Quay that basically made me invincible to elemental status ailments so the bombs & other monsters didn't affect me.

During the part with 3 Red Giants, Ramuh showed up & took care of things. The final battle arena was cool looking. After all the doom & gloom I'd heard about the dungeon, I sorta came away from it feeling like it wasn't remotely a big deal.

The way to beat costlemark with ease is simply by the elemental immunity food from galdin quay.

They should probably balance it around completionists. People who rush through the story probably won't care about NG+ anyway.

Or make it so the first few chapters are manageable by people who rushed through the story, and gives them enough EXP to send them to 99, and then after a point everything is balanced around having a level 99 party.

I really enjoyed it. The game really should limit item usage in some way, though. I feel like that would actually reduce frustration by requiring strategy. For example, instead of burning through all of your elixirs, if that wasn't an option, you'd have to leave and think "what can I do to counter that?". What I did was eat at Galdin Quay, there's a food there that makes you immune to any elemental damage. Bombs were absolutely not an issue to me in Costlemark, I just hit them while I watched INVULNERABLE filling the screen.

It didn't last the whole dungeon, but by the time the buff ended, there was only one bomb encounter left.

Ah elemental protection, should've thought of that :lol I've been wearing str+ gear since day one, never changed them xD And I went into the dungeon at 4am. I never saw any triple iron giants though?!

I went to a different spot and immediately got a fish interested, it took a couple of tries to get one though. At the first location (which is the first place I came across to fish) I was sat there for 10 minutes with nothing happening. I didn't realise it would tell you a fish was interested - there's that at least I suppose.

Also unrelated to fishing a couple of other things that puzzle me:

1. When you camp and the guy in glasses cooks up a meal. What does that do/cost? It seems to give a boost to stats? How long does that boost last? Do the meals cost anything?

2. Why can't I drive? When I first got the car there was all this information about how you can drive manually or let one of the others do it but since then I've never been allowed to drive, it's been be a passenger or nothing. I don't get it.

AEREC

I went to a different spot and immediately got a fish interested, it took a couple of tries to get one though. At the first location (which is the first place I came across to fish) I was sat there for 10 minutes with nothing happening. I didn't realise it would tell you a fish was interested - there's that at least I suppose.

1. When you camp and the guy in glasses cooks up a meal. What does that do/cost? It seems to give a boost to stats? How long does that boost last? Do the meals cost anything?

2. Why can't I drive? When I first got the car there was all this information about how you can drive manually or let one of the others do it but since then I've never been allowed to drive, it's been be a passenger or nothing. I don't get it.

1. It costs ingredients that are displayed somewhere on the screen. Dont know how long they last exactly but there is a meter in the bottom middle of the screen. There are also skills to extend that time.

2. You can drive manually after a certain point in the story...I forget what that is though.

OK thanks. I'm kind of demoralized with this game atm - everything seems a huge annoyance and effort. I haven't felt like this, this early in a game since Ni No Kuni and I did go on to platinum that so I'm hoping this game clicks soon, but I'm not sure I see it.

The combat is just awful. It pivots between so easy it's nothing but holding attack to win and then the next encounter is not being able to do a single thing because every time I get up I'm immediately knocked back down again and waiting for one of the meathead team members to revive me. I'm 4 hours in, all I can see ahead is dozens of hours of frustration.

/venting.

LordKasual

Banned

Fishing) As far as I can tell, fishing doesn't require you to actually wait. If you throw lure ontop of a fish and it doesn't immediately start the "Danger" sound, just recast the lure.

1) The meals consume ingredients. The meals tell you which ingredients you need for that specific meal, but it only consumes 1 of each. The buffs last about a full day AFAIK. Depending on the meal, the stat boost can be staggering. Be sure to read what the effects do.

2) Ignis takes the wheel for the first part of the game, but it wont be too long before he lets you drive. If you decide to use the car at night though, Noctis will have to drive, but there will eventually be a way around this.

OK thanks. I'm kind of demoralized with this game atm - everything seems a huge annoyance and effort. I haven't felt like this, this early in a game since Ni No Kuni and I did go on to platinum that so I'm hoping this game clicks soon, but I'm not sure I see it.

The combat is just awful. It pivots between so easy it's nothing but holding attack to win and then the next encounter is not being able to do a single thing because every time I get up I'm immediately knocked back down again and waiting for one of the meathead team members to revive me. I'm 4 hours in, all I can see ahead is dozens of hours of frustration.

/venting.

This just means you're bad at the combat system.

If you approach the game as "Hold Defend to not get hit, Hold Attack to win", then you're going to be on your ass for the entire game.

Helpful tips:

1) All basic weapons have Left/Right/Back + Attack animations. (AFAIK, this doesn't include Royal Arms.) For Broadsword, Dagger and Pistol, these animations usually will dodge attacks for a short time while Noctis is moving. (Back + Attack with broadsword is the best example.) For broadsword and dagger, the Left/Right are good not only for dodging attacks, but for getting on the side / behind the enemy to do a blindside or linkstrike.

2) Ally attacks (Noctis and the one doing the move), Dodge Roll and Warpstrike are all fully invincible. Warping is a great way to get out of danger and get into a good position (like getting to your teammates) but mind your MP.

3) Do not bother waiting for teammates to revive you if you have items, just use a Potion. Same goes for your teammates. Every second you're losing max HP. Also, if you want, go ahead and turn off the Ally camera cuts for when they use items. It will make every fight flow so much smoother when they action doesn't stop just because they use an item.

Ally revivals and you rescuing your teammates honestly should be last-resort methods of staying alive.

4) Use the ally team attacks, they are fully invincible. Tempest is great for crowds, Mark is great for crowds and enemies with multiple target points. Piercer reduces enemy defense. These attacks will typically do more damage than you can do on your own (especially Gladio's attacks) so be mindful.

5) Immediately invest in the early combat skill that lets you dodge/parry by pressing square at the last minute, as this will allow you to cancel attack animations to parry. (You'll know that you have it if Noctis glows blue briefly when you press the dodge button.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How long should it take to catch a fish? I'm sat here staring at the water and wondering if this is actually what was intended?

A simple rule is this: do NOT wait. If the red line does not appear as soon as you land the lure/line on the water, immediately retract your lure and recast it.

As soon as the red line appears, retract your line with 5 seconds interval between each retraction until the fish bites. If it doesn't, retrace the whole steps and do it all over again.

/venting.

You're doing the combat system wrong. You have a warp button for a reason.

General rule of thumb:

If there are more than 3 enemies close together, use a powerful spell to burn them down. Then warp in to hit any survivors.

If there are fewer, you're okay to charge in, but be prepared to block/parry.

For boss fights, learn the warp mechanics and use them properly. Charge in, hit, fly to warp points, etc.

And those are just the first steps.

Exentryk

Flying the Regalia was a great first experience. Seeing this large world that takes forever to get anywhere from this different perspective was really neat.

Just sucks that the implementation of this flying car is so crap that isn't very functional. If the car lifted off vertically from anywhere and landed vertically at any spot, it'd be more useful.
Another stupid design decision among many.

Is the anime and movie worth seeing?

Depends on the person. Do you really want/need the story fleshed out? Then the movie is a definite must see.

Do you want to see a bit more of the origins of the bros, even if it doesn't really add anything to the story? Than the anime may be worth your time.

Do you only have a minor interest in the story and the bros back story isn't all that important? Skip them all, you won't miss much.

Though....
Fat kid
Prompto is
equal parts adorable and creepy as FUUUUUCK
and it really adds a new layer to his random mentionings of
Luna

cheesekao

Catch like 5 fish every time you see a fishing spot throughout the course of the game so you don't burden yourself with 100+ fishes in a row at end game :)
Too late for that. I didn't think it would be this slow.

catch lots of good fish, eat Noctis' favorite food at camp.
Where? I've been fishing at the vesperpool for a while now and I'm only at level 5 and it's only gonna get a lot harder.

You're doing the combat system wrong. You have a warp button for a reason.

General rule of thumb:

If there are more than 3 enemies close together, use a powerful spell to burn them down. Then warp in to hit any survivors.

If there are fewer, you're okay to charge in, but be prepared to block/parry.

For boss fights, learn the warp mechanics and use them properly. Charge in, hit, fly to warp points, etc.

And those are just the first steps.
lol, I'm done for then!

I don't even know how to use the warp points. I press triangle and I just warp to some random point in the field, not the specific scenery with the warp marker on it. I can warp strike enemies fine now but just ignore the warp points on the scenery because it never works.

I'm only holding attack because it said that's how you chain attacks in the tutorial. Honestly I'm just bewildered by every fight, I have no idea what's going on! This combat system is too fast for me I think, when there are 6 or 7 enemies, I need a moment to look at which one needs to be picked off first but I can never work out where the lifebars are, or who I'm hitting or how I change targets. I just hold/mash and hope for the end!

Where? I've been fishing at the vesperpool and it's still too damn slow.

There is no real way to make up for lost time. All of the skills were designed to be chipped away at throughout the game so if you leave an entire section till the end game, it's going to feel like a grind.

Anyways, your best bet is just to find a place with easy to catch fish and hunker down for the grind.

lol, I'm done for then!

I don't even know how to use the warp points. I press triangle and I just warp to some random point in the field, not the specific scenery with the warp marker on it. I can warp strike enemies fine now but just ignore the warp points on the scenery because it never works.

I'm only holding attack because it said that's how you chain attacks in the tutorial. Honestly I'm just bewildered by every fight, I have no idea what's going on! This combat system is too fast for me I think, when there are 6 or 7 enemies, I need a moment to look at which one needs to be picked off first but I can never work out where the lifebars are, or who I'm hitting or how I change targets. I just hold/mash and hope for the end!

Warp points are activated by HOLDING triangle. PRESSING triangle only throws your warp in the direction you're facing.

If the game is going too fast for you in combat, you can switch the game to wait mode (it's in the options menu). You can also switch the combat to easy. Wait mode allows the game to pause in battle whenever you stop pressing buttons to allow you to select your motions with more purpose.

Radogol

I've been playing the game for around 14 hours but barely touched Magic or the Ascension board. Any tips regarding those? Magic in particular stumps me so far.

LordKasual

Banned

Where? I've been fishing at the vesperpool and it's still too damn slow.

Well, Noctis' skill is the only one I don't have to 10 already, but that's generally how it's done.

I rarely ever ate Ignis/ Noctis' favorite food until near endgame. I frequently ate Prompto/Gladio's favorite meals and they've been at Lv10 for the longest.

If you're like me, then you probably just ignored fishing points for the majority of the game. So the last few levels will likely feel really slow regardless.

Top Bottom