• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I briefly remember someone mentioning something about a bugged ladder.

I did Daurrell caverns last night and saw the ladder during the "boss" fight. I immediately knew something was wrong so I stayed up there until the fight was over.

Man, that dungeon kind of felt like a waste. Was expecting a tomb :p

cheesekao

There is no real way to make up for lost time. All of the skills were designed to be chipped away at throughout the game so if you leave an entire section till the end game, it's going to feel like a grind.

Anyways, your best bet is just to find a place with easy to catch fish and hunker down for the grind.

Well, Noctis' skill is the only one I don't have to 10 already, but that's generally how it's done.

I rarely ever ate Ignis/ Noctis' favorite food until near endgame. I frequently ate Prompto/Gladio's favorite meals and they've been at Lv10 for the longest.

If you're like me, then you probably just ignored fishing points for the majority of the game. So the last few levels will likely feel really slow regardless.
Yea, I kinda regret not fishing but still, there has to be some kind of optimal fishing spot where the fish are not too hard to catch but also give decent fishing exp.

I briefly remember someone mentioning something about a bugged ladder.

I did Daurrell caverns last night and saw the ladder during the "boss" fight. I immediately knew something was wrong so I stayed up there until the fight was over.

Man, that dungeon kind of felt like a waste. Was expecting a tomb :p

Hoping I can go back later for it, I did not get the ladder my first time through.

Put some more hours in and started to get that "can't stop" FF vibe. I do like how the game feels like a road trip within an alternate universe, magic-infused large American state. Makes me appreciate the nice driving environments around me, after the latest winter business is done with. Maybe stop by local diners instead of chain restaurants now...

Combat has become more entertaining, whether laying into a crowd of enemy soldiers with a powerful spell or getting a satisfying string of combo>parries. Characters all around are fun and I like most designs (unfortunately, Noctis least of all). Good voice acting, in this case Noctis being especially good.

Look forward to more now.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
lol, I'm done for then!

I don't even know how to use the warp points. I press triangle and I just warp to some random point in the field, not the specific scenery with the warp marker on it. I can warp strike enemies fine now but just ignore the warp points on the scenery because it never works.

I'm only holding attack because it said that's how you chain attacks in the tutorial. Honestly I'm just bewildered by every fight, I have no idea what's going on! This combat system is too fast for me I think, when there are 6 or 7 enemies, I need a moment to look at which one needs to be picked off first but I can never work out where the lifebars are, or who I'm hitting or how I change targets. I just hold/mash and hope for the end!
Look at the warp point, once it glows hold triangle. Focus on one enemy at a time, use R1. You will get better at it.

sappyday

Yea, I kinda regret not fishing but still, there has to be some kind of optimal fishing spot where the fish are not too hard to catch but also give decent fishing exp.

There is one in Altissia docks. All I was catching were huge fishes and were easy as hell, but I did have the best gear.

XNarte

lol, I'm done for then!

I don't even know how to use the warp points. I press triangle and I just warp to some random point in the field, not the specific scenery with the warp marker on it. I can warp strike enemies fine now but just ignore the warp points on the scenery because it never works.

I'm only holding attack because it said that's how you chain attacks in the tutorial. Honestly I'm just bewildered by every fight, I have no idea what's going on! This combat system is too fast for me I think, when there are 6 or 7 enemies, I need a moment to look at which one needs to be picked off first but I can never work out where the lifebars are, or who I'm hitting or how I change targets. I just hold/mash and hope for the end!

Have you tried wait mode? That's what I use and makes combat way more strategic in my opinion. Lets you use Libra to scan for weaknesses, select targets or even limbs on bosses, and helps for the hectic battles.

Deku Tree

I am starting chapter 11
still on the train
and I haven't found a place where I can warp back to the open world since the first half of chapter 9. Did I miss any location to warp? Is one coming up soon?

I am starting chapter 11
still on the train
and I haven't found a place where I can warp back to the open world since the first half of chapter 9. Did I miss any location to warp? Is one coming up soon?

You missed one in chapter 10
After getting the arms, you can go into the second train and rest/use umbra in one of the rooms

Deku Tree

You missed one in chapter 10
After getting the arms, you can go into the second train and rest/use umbra in one of the rooms

Oh man I hate when they put them in places like that. I fully explored the
train area before going into the mine so I just assumed there wouldn't be anything new to find when I got back to that area after finishing the mine.
Ugh.

LordKasual

Banned
I've been playing the game for around 14 hours but barely touched Magic or the Ascension board. Any tips regarding those? Magic in particular stumps me so far.

The Ascension board is straightforward. Just take the nodes you think you need as you need them. The ones you can obtain early on are very important, since they give your party members new skills and team attacks. With the exception of the accessory nodes, i'd ignore the stat boost area until you're higher leveled. You'll get more mileage out of eating food and leveling up Noct / the bros.

Magic is easier than it looks once you get the hang of it.
  • The more amount of element you put into a spell, the more potency (power). Items add potency and special effects, so scroll down and read what they will add. Monster drops and items are generally way more useful than food ingredients, but you should check new ingredients regardless.
  • Spells change form after 100 and 200 potency, which greatly increases their range and environmental effect. It is real hard to avoid hitting teammates with -Ra and -Ga spells, so don't even bother trying not to.
  • The effect level (Dualcast Lv50 for example) determines either how effective or how frequent the effect will be. Add more of the same item to the spell to increase the level of the effect it adds. Different items behave in different ways though.
  • Dualcast, Tricast, Quadcast, and Quintcast are all great ways to deal alot of damage with magic without needing alot of potency. So you honestly do not need to dump 99 of each element into a spell in order to one-shot an enemy.

And finally, don't worry about hitting the teammates with spells. The damage it deals to them is extremely low. The only time you need to worry about this is if your spells has a status effect, because it WILL apply it to your teammates. (Stop, Poison, Curse, Death, ect)

Edit:

In dungeon with small battle areas, I would definitely refrain from casting Fire or Thunder unless it'll end the encounter soon. The flames/shock effect linger on the field and can cause issues because your teammates/noctis will avoid them if you get too close.

Trojita

lol, I'm done for then!

Look at the warp point, once it glows hold triangle. Focus on one enemy at a time, use R1. You will get better at it.

I will emphasize HOLD △ on the PS4 controller or Y on the Xbox One controller.

Exentryk

Why can't you change time of day at your convenience? Like how did nobody in the dev team think of it? Bunch of amateurs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All right, I'll try that spot out.

The Venneth Coast--Galdin Quay--is ideal because: the fishes are easy to catch, and there's a camp spot really close so you can easily monitor Noct skill AND upgrade Ignis cooking at the same time.

I camped after every 15th fish. It's quite rapid and fast, with one level up per session/camping.

BriGuy

Why can't you change time of day at your convenience? Like how did nobody in the dev team think of it? Bunch of amateurs.
There's a lot of quality of life features that are absent here, which I hope get patched in. I waited 20+ minutes for sundown last night to get into a dungeon.

it certainly feels a little crazy at times.

NbHzPY6.gif

I should taken a pic but I remember when I was faced with two red giants, a squad of lvl40+ MT's, two of those electric spiders things, and some of those ice bombs....I fled

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It really feels like some things in this game are deliberately designed to artificially pad the game's lengths, for sure. Like the fact that you can only do hunts one at a time, the ungodly amount of fetch quests, etc etc.

evilalien

Has anybody experienced bugged hunter rescue side missions? I'm trying to trigger the sidequest "A cry for help" but the hunter is not appearing. Yes I am in the right spot and I am in chapter 3 so there shouldn't be any prerequisites that I am missing. I have no idea how to fix this.

Has anybody experienced bugged hunter rescue side missions? I'm trying to trigger the sidequest "A cry for help" but the hunter is not appearing. Yes I am in the right spot and I am in chapter 3 so there shouldn't be any prerequisites that I am missing. I have no idea how to fix this.

Sometimes hunts dont show up and you just have to move on and try again later.

Ricker

Chapter 7 Dungeon was pretty great and a little challenging at least...I was 10 levels over the suggested level and it took me 2 tries to beat it,I had to watch myself more and used a few megaelixirs...

Did I miss a Royal Arm...? if I look at the row,from left to right,I have the first 2,then I am missing one and have the next 2...also after what happened in Chapter 7 it gives me hope that the companion DLC might be long and fun because of what was said...

EDIT: And yeah,about the time,I whish daytime was longer,keep night as it is but make day twice as long...oh well.

Kaiken

Banned
Just started the third chapter and enjoying the game. I seem to be getting a bit overwhelmed with quests but they haven't gotten very annoying yet.

Quick question though. How do most of the players here think about Wait Mode? I feel like it's an easy cheap out to play the game but reading some impressions it can become very useful. What's your take on it?

Nephtes

Just started this game last night and while I think I'm enjoying the game, the combat really just isn't clicking with me...

- WHY on earth did they make it so you have to hold down the target lock button? There's no target lock toggle?

- The game wants me to dodge shit like a Souls game, but for the life of me I can't figure out when to actually dodge things. It seems like when I anticipate an attack coming, I press the dodge button, and then Noctis ends up on the ground. Or I get the prompt to block, I press the button and Noctis still ends up on the ground...

- Related to the above issue,the camera shits the bed at every opportunity, so even if I could reliably dodge things, half the time the camera is in such a way that my view is not of epic combat, but rather the inside of a shubbery...

- is there any reason to switch weapons mid combo, or is it only for when you notice your currently equipped weapon isn't getting the job done?

Am I missing something?
Because people told me the story in this game is bad but combat was good...

So far, I'm not seeing it.

Trojita

Just started this game last night and while I think I'm enjoying the game, the combat really just isn't clicking with me...

- WHY on earth did they make it so you have to hold down the target lock button? There's no target lock toggle?

- The game wants me to dodge shit like a Souls game, but for the life of me I can't figure out when to actually dodge things. It seems like when I anticipate an attack coming, I press the dodge button, and then Noctis ends up on the ground. Or I get the prompt to block, I press the button and Noctis still ends up on the ground...

- Related to the above issue,the camera shits the bed at every opportunity, so even if I could reliably dodge things, half the time the camera is in such a way that my view is not of epic combat, but rather the inside of a shubbery...

- is there any reason to switch weapons mid combo, or is it only for when you notice your currently equipped weapon isn't getting the job done?

Am I missing something?

So far, I'm not seeing it.

It's not the best, but when locking on click R3 or whatever the equivalent is on the Xbox Controller.

If it is prompting you hold the button before the attack and keep holding it. To dodge at the moment of a normal attack I think you need to unlock the skill on the ascension grid first.

The camera/shrubbery issue is a known problem.

It's cool and you can end an air combo with a greatsword or use daggers in midair?

XNarte

Just started the third chapter and enjoying the game. I seem to be getting a bit overwhelmed with quests but they haven't gotten very annoying yet.

Quick question though. How do most of the players here think about Wait Mode? I feel like it's an easy cheap out to play the game but reading some impressions it can become very useful. What's your take on it?

I like it and think it adds a layer of strategy, and allows for using Libra to scan for weaknesses as well as much easier lock-on of enemies and bosses limbs.

Because the theory is you are constantly switching from being locked onto an enemy to not locked on at all. You can't be locked onto an enemy if you want to teleport to one of the safe places (which is quite a lot). I actually find that a little annoying because it means I often lock back onto the wrong enemy afterwards if all I'm trying to do is teleport away and then instantly back.

Trojita

Because the theory is you are constantly switching from being locked onto an enemy to not locked on at all. You can't be locked onto an enemy if you want to teleport to one of the safe places (which is quite a lot). I actually find that a little annoying because it means I often lock back onto the wrong enemy afterwards if all I'm trying to do is teleport away and then instantly back.

If there's a nearby warp point, especially if it is in view anyways, holding triangle should take you to it automatically and then keep it locked on the enemy. I would have to check but I thought it did this anyways half asseddly with the R3 lockon.

Lexxism

What are the best places to grind EXP?
Post game? This one is available after chapter 13.

Experience and Gil.
Visit Maagho at Altisia. Get the Maagho Lasagna which give 100% exp and it cost 8,000 gil.
Travel to past Lucis
Visit Verinas Mart - Ravatogh. Western part of Cleigne.
Do the hunt called "Verinas Mart under threat"
Equip ring of lucii and kill all of those wyvern using it.
You will get 9,000 exp each without the moogle charm
You can also get Wyvern wing which cost 1,700 gil.

or craft an expericast lvl96 (need 8 rare coins) and use it against bandersnatch. North of hammerhead. There's a crater where you can find it. I think this one will give you at least 100,000 exp. I don't know if that's one cast only or 5.

RDreamer

It really feels like some things in this game are deliberately designed to artificially pad the game's lengths, for sure. Like the fact that you can only do hunts one at a time, the ungodly amount of fetch quests, etc etc.

I'm not sure doing hunts one at a time is to pad the game out. I think it's because there are numerous spots where 2 or 3 of the hunts are in the exact same spot. One at a time hunts prevents you from accidentally accepting a bunch like that.

Am I missing something?

They lied.

But as for some of those things: The camera blows. You have to hold the button to dodge, not just press it. There's no reason to switch weapons mid-combo. Just change for whatever the enemy is weaker against.

Also, switch your control type to B or C. Personally I did B. The default controls are absolutely awful for actually trying to dodge a lot.

muteki

This mechanic is definitely a lot better than it was in the demos, but still would be 100x better if you didn't actually have to have a warp point on-screen for it to work.

If not and they defaulted to whatever one is closest off camera it would feel better.

Valus

OK thanks. I'm kind of demoralized with this game atm - everything seems a huge annoyance and effort. I haven't felt like this, this early in a game since Ni No Kuni and I did go on to platinum that so I'm hoping this game clicks soon, but I'm not sure I see it.

The combat is just awful. It pivots between so easy it's nothing but holding attack to win and then the next encounter is not being able to do a single thing because every time I get up I'm immediately knocked back down again and waiting for one of the meathead team members to revive me. I'm 4 hours in, all I can see ahead is dozens of hours of frustration.

/venting.

I recommend playing the game on easy mode. Not because you're bad or anything, but because the combat is really unrefined and frustrating in some parts where it's simply not worth it to challenge yourself with it. There's no secret ending or anything extra you get for playing on normal. If you're an achievement whore I think there's only one endgame boss that requires the normal difficulty.

Anarion07

I'm 8 hours in and in chapter 3.
Since they said they're gonna patch the story and that one bad chapter..
Which chapter is that again? Should I stop before I get there and wait?

Why they had to add physical inmune flans on sealed Daurell ._.

Spells take them out in 1-2 shots. Create some quad cast blizzard spells with the Kettier Ginger.

Finally figured out the problem with the Zu Beaks. Don't use any drop improving food. It only makes it less likely to drop the beaks because the beaks are the common drop and the tenders are the rare drop.

Either way it's a good farm because the beaks give you limit break magic and the tenders can be used to create +80% critical food. That food plus the critical outfit for Noctis make fights go so fast it's silly.

Ishida

Banned

Don't bother with that. The patch is a long term goal. Keep playing unless you have no issues in shelving the game for more than half a year at least.

Valus

Chapter 13.

Are you going to play the game again after they patch it? If yes - keep playing. If no - stop playing and wait.

Kaizer

Banned
Random question, but I was just thinking about that giant bird you sneak past that wakes up & flies away near the beginning of the game - you do eventually fight it right? I'm Chapter 14 & have just been pausing to wrap up some sidequests/hunts & was wondering.

Ishida

Banned
Random question, but I was just thinking about that giant bird you sneak past that wakes up & flies away near the beginning of the game - you do eventually fight it right? I'm Chapter 14 & have just been pausing to wrap up some sidequests/hunts & was wondering.

Yes. That's a Zu.

It's a hunt you can get on the gas station near the volcano.

Starting to get the hang of the combat, but I don't feel like I'm using the weapons properly. For Noctis, obviously two handers are for AoE...but why should I use the polearm over the normal sword? Additionally, will my party members use their secondary arm as they are supposed to w/o me doing anything?

Twookie

Starting to get the hang of the combat, but I don't feel like I'm using the weapons properly. For Noctis, obviously two handers are for AoE...but why should I use the polearm over the normal sword? Additionally, will my party members use their secondary arm as they are supposed to w/o me doing anything?

Some enemies are weaker/stronger to a type of weapon, therefore you should vary up your weapon usage. Also I think Polearms do more damage the less HP your target has. It also has a higher chance of crit. (It used to do so in Episode Duscae and such, don't know if it has changed)

yes, your partymembers will use their secondary by themselves.

Top Bottom