• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ishida

Banned
Tonberrys: no joke

Tonberry knights:

tumblr_n2ptm9AxDH1rawb5do1_400.gif

Namikaze1

Spent fours hours in
Sealed Steyliff
Dungeon. It's too damn long. Now on to
Sealed Crestholm
and then do
Sealed Costlemark
another day.

Ferr986

Spells take them out in 1-2 shots. Create some quad cast blizzard spells with the Kettier Ginger.

Finally figured out the problem with the Zu Beaks. Don't use any drop improving food. It only makes it less likely to drop the beaks because the beaks are the common drop and the tenders are the rare drop.

Either way it's a good farm because the beaks give you limit break magic and the tenders can be used to create +80% critical food. That food plus the critical outfit for Noctis make fights go so fast it's silly.

Yeah but spent all my magic elements. Ended up using the ring chapter 13 style :/

TheMan

On ch 3 now. Do more costumes become available later. Noctis's casual jacket looks so stupid. I want ROF level of clothing customization.

Jmille99

Tried the Costlark Tower for the first time last night going for the final royal arm. Did not enjoy it, but made me think of something that happened elsewhere (specifically the sewer):

What can I do when my teammates get "stuck" on a different level? I noticed that when I fell down a floor, only Gladio followed and Prompto/Ignes never came down when enemies spawned. Is there any sort of trick I can use to have them show up? Or SOL?

Mailbox

Just started this game last night and while I think I'm enjoying the game, the combat really just isn't clicking with me...

- WHY on earth did they make it so you have to hold down the target lock button? There's no target lock toggle?

- The game wants me to dodge shit like a Souls game, but for the life of me I can't figure out when to actually dodge things. It seems like when I anticipate an attack coming, I press the dodge button, and then Noctis ends up on the ground. Or I get the prompt to block, I press the button and Noctis still ends up on the ground...

- Related to the above issue,the camera shits the bed at every opportunity, so even if I could reliably dodge things, half the time the camera is in such a way that my view is not of epic combat, but rather the inside of a shubbery...

- is there any reason to switch weapons mid combo, or is it only for when you notice your currently equipped weapon isn't getting the job done?

Am I missing something?
Because people told me the story in this game is bad but combat was good...

So far, I'm not seeing it.

- press l3 while locking on to hard lock. I recommend learning not to lock on though as the camera for lock on isn't good. Also, switch to wait mode. Just trust me, it's better. (You get to use libra and actually start to care about elemental weaknesses and stuff)

- 3 types of dodging: roll, phase, and blink. Blink is an ability you get in the grid, roll has I-frames and happened when you press the button, phase is holding the button. When you see the prompt, just hold the button. This is in the tutorial. Maybe you should go and do that or, you know, read the prompts the game gives you in the start section!

- if you really are having issues with the camera, stop locking on or only lock on if you need to do a quick adjustment. You'll get used to it.

- in mid combo, not really, though idk why you are doing "hold-combos" though. They are kinda inefficient. Watch some YouTube videos on combos, and learn to use directional inputs and changes. Seems like people who actually complain about the system didn't bother to actually learn how directional inputs work. The battle system really opens up once you start doing attacks like noct's tempest, spear drive, dagger throw-kick, and gain the ability to air step.

But seriously most of your issues would have been fixed if you bothered with the tutorial. Go do that.

On ch 3 now. Do more costumes become available later. Noctis's casual jacket looks so stupid. I want ROF level of clothing customization.

Only a tiny handful, less than five, and one is kind of a 'gag' costume. The outfit system is, unfortunately, half-baked.

theofficefan99

I actually wish I could just continue with the post-game content but I'm so disgusted with what we got for the main story that I can't. I guess I'll shelve this game for a bit, sadly, and hope that after a year the game is in a much better state.

Combat-wise, it's unique and while there are some design decisions I think are flat-out stupid, I think the combat has potential. I like controlling Noctis, warping feels really satisfying, Airdance is gr8 (though MP is still an issue).

Music is fucking amazing.

Visuals range from decent to great.

But the story, and how the game likes to waste your time, too... like I just can't.

Really hoping these patches and DLC's greatly improve the game.

I never got around to saying it last night because I wanted to focus on expressing my frustration over an AP challenge soft locking the game, but I ended up around level 35-37 in Chapter 3 just from exploring the entire possible map playing dungeons I find. I'm probably going to end up putting on the Nyxperience Band for the rest of the game before I even finish this chapter.

The
Royal Weapon, Mace of the Fierce
is awesome.

Witcher 3 has much better encounter design than FFXV. The devs are much more sensible and have carefully chosen enemy sizes and enemy numbers in a battle. Witcher 3 has its issues but the battles don't feel like a mess like they do in XV.

XV is just a hot mess. Crazy number of enemies in a single battle most of which don't even telegraph attacks. The camera and lock-on are bigger threats in a battle than the enemies themselves. Noctis is way too overanimated and the devs don't really understand these animations make the combat less responsive (do you really need Noctis stopping and animating every time he switches a weapon?). Automated link-strikes is in itself a bad idea, but having useful abilities like Analyse automated and with no control over when AI will use it is a really poor design decision.

Something that is great in XV is warp strike and aerial combat. Fighting enemies that are about Iron Giant or Bandersnatch size is the best. If XV devs planned their encounters and designed monsters according to their battle system, it would have been better.

I hope someone takes the best aspect from this game (warping) and uses it in another better designed combat system.

P.S. - Having said all that, I had more fun with XV's combat just because warping and aerial combat feels so good.
Noctis never stopped for me when switching weapons in mid combo. *shrug*

Nephtes

- press l3 while locking on to hard lock. I recommend learning not to lock on though as the camera for lock on isn't good. Also, switch to wait mode. Just trust me, it's better. (You get to use libra and actually start to care about elemental weaknesses and stuff)

- 3 types of dodging: roll, phase, and blink. Blink is an ability you get in the grid, roll has I-frames and happened when you press the button, phase is holding the button. When you see the prompt, just hold the button. This is in the tutorial. Maybe you should go and do that or, you know, read the prompts the game gives you in the start section!
- if you really are having issues with the camera, stop locking on or only lock on if you need to do a quick adjustment. You'll get used to it.

- in mid combo, not really, though idk why you are doing "hold-combos" though. They are kinda inefficient. Watch some YouTube videos on combos, and learn to use directional inputs and changes. Seems like people who actually complain about the system didn't bother to actually learn how directional inputs work. The battle system really opens up once you start doing attacks like noct's tempest, spear drive, dagger throw-kick, and gain the ability to air step.

But seriously most of your issues would have been fixed if you bothered with the tutorial. Go do that.

I did the tutorial...
I wrecked Gladiolus every time without issue.
My issues with dodging didn't start till the actual game where there's 6 enemies at once, the camera hides in the bushes, and there's no clear indication that you need to press or hold the dodge button when a monster you can't see is attacking from behind....And has little to no wind up animation like a Souls game...

I don't remember the tutorial explaining anything about directional inputs determining combos though...

Mailbox

I did the tutorial...
I wrecked Gladiolus every time without issue.
My issues with dodging didn't start till the actual game where there's 6 enemies at once, the camera hides in the bushes, and there's no clear indication that you need to press or hold the dodge button when a monster you can't see is attacking from behind....And has little to no wind up animation like a Souls game...

I don't remember the tutorial explaining anything about directional inputs determining combos though...

Tutorial doesn't talk about directional combos, but just try and get used to them. They help out a lot.

Also, just know that holding defend is stock defense (think of it as auto-dodge that drains MP(you can't dodge AOEs with normal phase)) and dodge roll as an I-frames type dodge that is useful when you get used to it.

when you see a prompt or a slanted symbol that has the button with an arrow pointing to it that means hold. if you REALLY are having super trouble with the camera, switch it to far distance. Also I recommend giving Wait Mode a shot. It takes a bit to get used to but it helps.

Treat this game more like a strategy Rpg rather than something like dark souls. Use more techniques!!! (they cause invulnerability to the tech user and noct). Try training at camps and testing things out against gladio and co once in a while. you can get used to timing, combos, etc there.

May as well give
Sealed Costlemark
a try.

Uhm...

you can't use items,
just a warning!!

BriGuy

Ok, I'm getting desperate now. Are there any hunts you can miss? Any that are particularly well hidden? I've been through every restaurant I've found in the game now and there's a single 3-star hunt I'm missing. It's driving me nuts.

Ok, I'm getting desperate now. Are there any hunts you can miss? Any that are particularly well hidden? I've been through every restaurant I've found in the game now and there's a single 3-star hunt I'm missing. It's driving me nuts.

I know for a fact that there is one hunt that doesn't appear until after the Cup Noodles side quest is complete,
the Zu hunt
. I would assume there are other hunts that require certain side quests to be complete as well, but I am not certain.

No hunts are missable, did you check altissia?

JBwB

Have you completed the
monster in the painting
hunt in Altissia?

How do I get the special key?
On chapter 15 and done every blue quest besides the turtle and finding some rainbow frogs. Currently level 8 21/30 on yellow quests.
Thought I'd run into how to do it but not yet.

BriGuy

Thanks guys, that has to be it then. I didn't bother with any of comic book guy's quests because I thought it just more Prompto photo shoot wastes of time.

N° 2048

How do I get the special key?
On chapter 15 and done every blue quest besides the turtle and finding some rainbow frogs. Currently level 8 21/30 on yellow quests.
Thought I'd run into how to do it but not yet.

Ok what is this
Chapter 15
? I can't find info on it anywhere and it's not even in the guide.

I finished the game already.

Riposte

1) This might be a lot to ask, but can someone give me a good breakdown on how "level stopper" works and what are the recommended levels of the game's chapters (as the game seems to intend or what would be challenging, but not making every fight go on forever)? (You may want to spoil tag it.)

2) Is the Masamune DLC weapon that comes with the Day One edition also included in the Season Pass? If it is and you answered both parts of the above question, I'll PM it to you for free. (If it isn't... I apologize, but I kind of want it then.)

Deku Tree

What do the orange and purple colors over the different weapon types mean on the enemy scans?

Is purple mean it's less effective and orange mean it's more effective? No color is normal effective?

Arrrammis

I must have not seen it because it didn't say I started Chapter 15 on the screen. It just loaded my save before the final bosses.

It says
chapter 15
on the file select and loading screens. It starts you before the final boss in case you want to replay the fight, but basically it says that you've beaten the game.

Top Bottom