• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

piggychan

WEC0hZb.gif

iONN4gO.gif

I ended up playing the game way more than I meant to yesterday. On chapter 7 now with around 24 hours game time, feel like I'm starting to get to a point where I can form some thoughts about the game seriously. Honestly coming out of kingsglaive, I was super pumped to play and grabbed it in the current EU sale. Once I started though, I was kind of left down by the awkwardness of the narrative and I've been up and down but I think now I'm starting to see the final fantasy in it and some of the stuff they've really nailed. So, probably about halfway through the main story, here's my thoughts. I've done the two main problem points up front so I can move onto the better parts after. Admittedly I'm only on chapter 7 of.....13/14? And I know there are significant story & gameplay changes later, but this still stands as my main thoughts right now, and of what I believe the bulk of the storytelling/gameplay style to be.

Story/characters: So definitely the largest part that disappoints initially. The idea of using the quest for
the royal arms and the espers
is actually a totally fine one to travel the literally huge game world, the way the plot starts out so contextless,
killing the king off camera bar the strange kingslaive scene
and so on does it no favours, nor does the type of quests you're doing throughout this period. I'm actually not quite sure at this point if the empire wants me dead and I'm on the run, or they just don't care about me and just happen to run into me once in awhile.
Obviously Ardyn is up to all sorts, but where is the evil old dude from the movie? What's happening with the crystal?

The thing is, I can chalk up the story as what it is, and understand they had an extremely troubling time with it due to the issues & constraints of development. What really sours the experience is the characters on the party for me. None of the four guys seem to exist much beyond their set personality pattern, have much of a backstory or strong driving reason for their own part of the quest. Only Noctis really seems to have something to learn from it. They're really only seem to be doing it because the game tells them oppose to actual plot situations (and this is despite
his father being murdered
somehow) or personal reasons. The shame is, Kingsglaive touches on immigrants/refugees to Insomnia etc. so I'm not sure why all 4 party members had to be the same age and have the same backgrounds. Frustratingly too, I keep meeting characters that would be cool to have in the party to mix up the dynamic and interest me.
Cor Leonis, Aranea Highwind, Gentiana, even Glad's sister.
All are coming from different view points and have different investments in what is happening to the country, and different relationships to Noctis.

Probably in the game had to stick with the 4 guys, the major change I would have made is to fully integrate the kingsglaive events into the game but from their point of view, and have them present in the city during this time. Have it like Midgar in FFVII or Alexandria in the opening hours of FFIX. A large but sealed in story area before introducing the player to the open world, spearheaded storywise by the eventful signing of the treaty,
Noctis & co fleeing the city separately to Luna & the ring
and give them all a really core reason to all be going to together and going at all.

The Car: Outside of the characters and kindddd of the story (story delivery and rpesentation really), my only other big bug bear is the car. I hate the car! I hate driving in it, the long wait times in it, I find standing around in a gas stations really uninspiring and at odds with exploring this big fantasy world. I would totally remove the car from this game entirely, take the highways out because...

The World: I love the game world. It is huge, and I feel like when you're galloping across the land by chocobo, and the sun is shining out from behind that mountain or through the trees and an enemy from one of the older games but now life sized and huge/scary, the game's vision really comes into focus and it feels like Final Fantasy. In my first hours of gas stations and drab military installations or outposts I really couldn't understand what they were thinking, how they could have lost the pulse of FF but leaving the car behind and exploring the world by chocobo, running through the rain with the empire overhead, discovering the myrtlewoods or the Malmalam Thicket, it feels like the overworld and the bespoke *dungeons* or areas of the old games come to life with scale and spectacle. Part of me thinks they should go nowhere near open world again after this game, mostly because of the quest design, but true enough for me the open world is where the game succeeds when it does.

The Dungeons: So kind of mentioned above and again, at first the really poor military installations and drab environments kind of sour things, but once you start visiting the actual *dungeons* of the game, or the bespoke locations off the overworld, again, it feels like final fantasy! Now I could do with a little less linearity and a bit more puzzling, but so far so good:
trying not to slip off the tight pathways of the glacial caverns, the crumbling floors of vesperpool's ruins.
These locations are gorgeous and fun to be in. Example of the kind of puzzlesolving I would appreciate, as I know FF has never been deep this way :
when I arrived at the vesperpool ruins, Aranea simply told me to wait til nightfall for the door to open. Ther eis this huge expansive areas aorund me. Instead of fetchquesting me, why not have me explore the remnants of the ruins around the bog and the larger area, find out the backstory to this region of the world and how it feel into ruin, and discover the solution that way?

Overall, if I could be the director myself, I'd rip out the car and highways, the gas stations and outposts, tighten this world's regions together a little more so most places could be reached by foot or chocobo comfortably, and filter the story more directly through visiting these types of locations and finding out the history of the world. Add more actual villages with each region's people's style of culture and living and you are set. The world as it has been created is so good, just like the story they just need to learn how to present it to the player better and imo it's the biggest success of the game and gives me the most confidence that they have the building blocks to do better next time. OH, and bring back chests haha.

The Combat: So if the world is amazing, but the quest design is uninspiring and the story is up and down, why explore it after seeing the sights? Because the combat is really fun imo and enjoyable to engage in in it's own right. Finding these huge monsters and trying to defeat them with the tools at hand. I do think the combat is kind of glorious but sloppy and could do with being slowed down a little (also I use wait) so to incorporate buffs and debuffs in a theoretical sequel and implement aiming at body parts a bit better. Things can go a bit too fast and mashy for their own good and I never feel totally in control of things BUT it is really fun. Switching weapons, using techs , warping, I really like all this stuff and feel it adds a lot to the game.

The Music: The music is great, and where cutscenes can be stilted or treks across the map by car or just sheer area size can make things a little too much of a drag, the music does a lot to invoke what they at least would like the player to be feeling in these moments, and I think it does it's job really well. Travelling pieces, combat, story music, dungeon tunes, all of it has been really great for me. All it was extremely sneaky and smart to put in classic songs via the car radio or the mp3 player and it helps invoke the feels of FF. Travelling the map listening to the FFVII map music etc really helps me think about the previous games and how this game relates to that legacy for example, and brngs up a lot of nostalgia, it really does the game some favours.

The Levelling/Stats/Ascension grid: So last but not least, the whole levelling up & gear aspect to the game. I do like the ascension grind thing, although initially it's quite overwhelming, all the different tabs. I don't know if it would have been better filtered as a thing for each character and split up between them. Outside of equipping weapons and accessories (which is totally fine btw. I wish there was armor and so on, but find otherwise), they seem to want to keep you at arms length from all the character's stats and things like that. There's been a few times I've wanted to check a status effect on me or why Ignis' health was half right now or something and just couldn't. I'm not sure if I'm missing a page in the menus or not, but it seems like a deliberate choice to keep this stuff simple for the player. I appreciate it but along with slowing the combat down, I'd have liked more control here, maybe some basic AI commands for how each character will behave in different types of battles etc. Basically less action driven and more command/stat driven but I appreciate what is there and don't think there's anything too egregious. If anything it's so simplified and unoffensive it's hard to mess anything up and thus die. Oh, I would love to be able to customise their clothing on a garment by garment basis, choose to visually display equipment and clothing changes etc. I guess I didn't mention camping either. I really like the idea of forcing you to camp out as a way to spend more downtime with the characters and thus grow closer to them; I don't think it works at all, but it's a great idea. I don't like leveraging xp as a means to make you do so a good one though, and night being really dangerous is enough of a reason. If you couldn't just fast travel at anything time, and they ripped out the car, the horror of the night would be a great enough reason to camp regularly and a good rhythm to the gameplay. As it stands, you can mostly negate this. I'd much prefer just to get my xp at the end of battle too.

THe Graphics: Whoops! Somehow forgot a little on the visuals. Well, you probably gleaned from the other bits what I think. The actual visuals in the game imo can be incredible, and really shine when they;'re focusing on what works. The size and spectacle of the enemies and espers, the gorgeous environments, the magical spells and attacks. Fantastic, some truly jawdropping moments. These are sadly broken up at times by very boring locations that the art design can't really make shine. As mentioned, just take all this stuff out. More scale, spectacle and fantasy. All the *real world* stuff tends to look poor and unfortunate. Gas stations, uninteresting enemy bases, compared to
the disc of cauthess! the titan!
and so on. Visually, the game is as much a success as they make it and there are some amazing moments, both hand crafted and discovered by mixture of time of day, location, technology, weather.

Mmm. Think that's it for now. There are things I'd change about the game, sure. I think it struggles with it's characters and story, and as being new to the whole open world things, but despite wanting small tweaks literally everywhere, I think they are actually onto something with this game and it's style of gameplay. I think a real proper dev cycle with this as the backbone, with better goals and more focus could just rip the fucking doors off. As the game stands (and I'm not done!), there are times I roll my eyes and wonder why there is this drab boring thing happening in this drab boring place when I could be out there, on my chocobo, fighting massive cockatrice and discovering ancient ruins. And there's the times I'm doing that, and it's glorious!

Tried really hard to spoil tag ANYTHING sensitive but if anything offends please let me know and I'll cover up more.

MilkBeard

^Interesting comments.

There are a few complaints that I've seen people have that I don't really agree with. I'll start with the first: the car. I like the car the way it is. I don't really want to drive the car everywhere in the map, I think being able to control it with limitations is the best way, as I don't think it would be fun at all to drive it around the land, offroad. I dunno, I just don't feel like they needed to do that, and only to use it to get to new places, and then warp and ride everywhere on a chocobo is the best thing I think.

If I had a choice naturally, a car is to the point, and I don't find myself riding in it all THAT much, but the real fun is running via chocobo. I just enjoy that a lot. Drive and park the car nearby, then call out your buddy Chocobo and roam around.

Secondly: the fact that the land is huge and there's not much to do. I like the fact that the land is big, and it gives special places room to breath. Now, I'm not saying its perfect, as I would have liked more unique place and people in the world, but I'm not a big fan of the Ubisoft/CD Project Red thing of placing so many damned objects and things at you all the time that it makes exploring the world kind of....I don't know, uninteresting. There's too much of everything going on at once that it makes exploring new areas lack impact. For me, just riding in Duscae on chocobo has been more fullfilling that running around for useless items scattered every 30 feet. Xenoblade had this issue as well. The land was nice, but useless items were placed everywhere.

About those two things, it really depends on preference. I like the way they developed the world in XV, so I would like to see them improve upon its strengths in XVI. Find a balance between not enough to do and too many useless things that other games do.

^Interesting comments.

There are a few complaints that I've seen people have that I don't really agree with. I'll start with the first: the car. I like the car the way it is. I don't really want to drive the car everywhere in the map, I think being able to control it with limitations is the best way, as I don't think it would be fun at all to drive it around the land, offroad. I dunno, I just don't feel like they needed to do that, and only to use it to get to new places, and then warp and ride everywhere on a chocobo is the best thing I think.

If I had a choice naturally, a car is to the point, and I don't find myself riding in it all THAT much, but the real fun is running via chocobo. I just enjoy that a lot. Drive and park the car nearby, then call out your buddy Chocobo and roam around.

Secondly: the fact that the land is huge and there's not much to do. I like the fact that the land is big, and it gives special places room to breath. Now, I'm not saying its perfect, as I would have liked more unique place and people in the world, but I'm not a big fan of the Ubisoft/CD Project Red thing of placing so many damned objects and things at you all the time that it makes exploring the world kind of....I don't know, uninteresting. There's too much of everything going on at once that it makes exploring new areas lack impact. For me, just riding in Duscae on chocobo has been more fullfilling that running around for useless items scattered every 30 feet. Xenoblade had this issue as well. The land was nice, but useless items were placed everywhere.

About those two things, it really depends on preference. I like the way they developed the world in XV, so I would like to see them improve upon its strengths in XVI. Find a balance between not enough to do and too many useless things that other games do.

Hah, thanks for the thoughts man. As far as the car goes, don't get me wrong. Totally appreciate that's just my opinion. Also, I don't know if you're meaning my post or just in general what people have been saying, but I wouldn't encourage being able to drive anywhere without limitations either, I would actually just remove the car and highways entirely haha. Definitely not MORE car. Mostly my issues stem from it being a story linked thing that they force you into at certain points, use the car and barricades to lock you off from places in the map and so on. Totally agree though that in actual gameplay terms you can mostly negate the car beyond going to new places with the chocobo, and I do, I just think the removal of the car and highways and just a slight alteration to the map size to account for that mode of transport not existing in game would benefit everything. I would take the car as is oppose to more car though. I absolutely love travelling by chocobo though and by foot where locations aren't too far apart and the adventure s I get into along the way are really great.

I actually totally agree with the second point though. I wouldn't want more pointless things around the map, which is why I would actually tighten it up a tad, despite loving the vastness, but ditch outposts, gas stations etc. A slightly smaller overall gameworld, and but with a few more proper towns/villages and some more off the beaten track places to explore and perfect.

MilkBeard

Hah, thanks for the thoughts man. As far as the car goes, don't get me wrong. Totally appreciate that's just my opinion. Also, I don't know if you're meaning my post or just in general what people have been saying, but I wouldn't encourage being able to drive anywhere without limitations either, I would actually just remove the car and highways entirely haha. Definitely not MORE car. Mostly my issues stem from it being a story linked thing that they force you into at certain points, use the car and barricades to lock you off from places in the map and so on. Totally agree though that in actual gameplay terms you can mostly negate the car beyond going to new places with the chocobo, and I do, I just think the removal of the car and highways and just a slight alteration to the map size to account for that mode of transport not existing in game would benefit everything. I would take the car as is oppose to more car though.

I actually totally agree with the second point though. I wouldn't want more pointless things around the map, which is why I would actually tighten it up a tad, despite loving the vastness, but ditch outposts, gas stations etc. A slightly smaller overall gameworld, and but with a few more proper towns/villages and some more off the beaten track places to explore and perfect.
Yeah, it was more of a general thing, I saw that you were disappointed with the car, but it wasn't necessarily linked to your opinions about it. I never had expectations of what the car should do, and I've never really cared much for car gameplay in games, so what's there is fine in my opinion.

The interesting thing is that they had cars in FF VIII, and they were optional, thus I never used them, I felt they were kind of useless. Here, it's different, because you have a large map that you have to get across. It's an interesting idea, and I can see why some people don't like it so much. I think riding around occasionally and listening to music and looking at the scenery, as well as hearing conversations is enough for me to not be dissatisfied with it, but this will vary from person to person. I think the road layout works, personally, and the fact that there are multiple options to travel helps.

I do think your idea of having a smaller game world that you travel via chocobo or whatever would be cool as well, but then it would have to be a different game altogether, as XV is made with a mix of modern and fantasy.

It's interesting to see different people's take on this, and it's definitely true they got some things right and some wrong, but I hope they perfect it for the next game.

I do think your idea of having a smaller game world that you travel via chocobo or whatever would be cool as well, but then it would have to be a different game altogether, as XV is made with a mix of modern and fantasy.

It's interesting to see different people's take on this, and it's definitely true they got some things right and some wrong, but I hope they perfect it for the next game.

And I think that is a totally fair point. The game is literally billed as a mix of modern and fantasy. I don't necessarily have an issue with modern elements, as mentioned FFVII & VIII had buggy/cars, VII had the phone this for switching party members and so on. In my mind a lot of FFs have had stuff like that, and this one more overtly. It just turns out I've bounced off that stuff. In my mind at least though, it's not the modern part that sticks, it's just that those parts happen to be very uninteresting compared to the rest (always just my opinion of course).

I think the more you hear/read different view points though, the more obvious it is that the fanbase is super fractured and want all sorts of different things. I know very clearly in my mind what would make me more happy with this game, but that would probably lower it for someone else who likes Final Fantasy just as much. It's that part of me that just thinks that this game for what it is, enjoy the parts you enjoy, and then make a clear break with something different next time. I don't know how much they can win with iteration. Alternatively, I wouldn't hate to see everything thrown out because there's so much potential in it.

How do you get Courels to respawn? I need whiskers. Beast whistle either doesn't do anything, or just summons weak stuff.

And man the
tunnel near the entrance to Insomnia
nearly wiped me. I had to go back and restock. I accidentally slid straight down to a Naga! Enemies were tough as nails. I also had to really annoying bug again where teammates were lost. I had to pray that Ignis popped back so I could Regroup.

JoeNut

How do you get Courels to respawn? I need whiskers. Beast whistle either doesn't do anything, or just summons weak stuff.

And man the
tunnel near the entrance to Insomnia
nearly wiped me. I had to go back and restock. I accidentally slid straight down to a Naga! Enemies were tough as nails. I also had to really annoying bug again where teammates were lost. I had to pray that Ignis popped back so I could Regroup.

i found one near the
second fortress
you have to attack in chapter 5/6

Darksol

What a stupid ending.

Not to mention (ending scene spoiler, don't read if you haven't beaten the game)
telling hipster hat dude to rest peacefully after beating him, only to attack him again a minute later when both of your spirits are rising upwards sort of robs that moment of any significance, eh?

And all the multiple endings which follow thereafter are even more hollow and meaningless

What a shallow piece of shit story.

That said, I enjoyed the game despite all of its glaring flaws.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That fight with Aranea was crazing. I was fighting her in mid air.

I hope to pull some of my pictures (that I now have set to png) to a flash drive to get the best quality.

C05bBF_XAAABpVw.png

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Friggin' loving the game.

It has a bunch of issues but one thing they did right are the characters.
I really care about my homies.

Im at Chapter 10 ... OMG!!!

Zedark

What is a good level to be at for the end of the game?

Why is Zu a recommended lvl 30 dungeon but the bounty for Zu is level 67?

Because (hunt/location spoilers!)
Zu only appears in the Rock of Ravatogh once you have accepted the hunt. If you don't have the hunt active, Zu won't be there and the rest of the dungeon is simply level 30 due to the monster levels present.

For the end of the game, anywhere from 45-50 should make it doable. Going lower means having a bigger challenge while going higher means less of a challenge (you know, standard RPG stuff).

Edit:
Friggin' loving the game.

It has a bunch of issues but one thing they did right are the characters.
I really care about my homies.

Im at Chapter 10 ... OMG!!!

Heh, interesting. Chapter 10 seems to be the most divisive chapter. Some people hate it, others absolutely adore it. I personally like it, though I think
Gladio's behaviour feels a bit too excessive to be fair in any stretch of the imagination. The interaction with and about Ignis tend to be quite tragic and interesting, though, and I love it!

In post game,
I've been having one hell of a time trying to get the sturdy helxihorn. Made camp, ate the rice bowl for increased item drop. Been attacking the horns. Still not getting it. I must be switching targets. Is there a way to switch which part you are attacking after you've locked on? I just keep waiting for the targeting system to be on the horn then I lock on and attack.

SHarris78

In post game,
I've been having one hell of a time trying to get the sturdy helxihorn. Made camp, ate the rice bowl for increased item drop. Been attacking the horns. Still not getting it. I must be switching targets. Is there a way to switch which part you are attacking after you've locked on? I just keep waiting for the targeting system to be on the horn then I lock on and attack.

I managed to get it on my first attempt by using the rice bowl and equipping a Royal Arm (I used Sword of the Wise I think it's called). Using control scheme B, press R1 which targets an enemy, then flick up on I believe the right analogue stick and it should (but not always!) target the horns.

I managed to get it on my first attempt by using the rice bowl and equipping a Royal Arm (I used Sword of the Wise I think it's called). Using control scheme B, press R1 which targets an enemy, then flick up on I believe the right analogue stick and it should (but not always!) target the horns.
Oh thanks! I'll give this a shot!

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
140 hours in and I'm almost done with this game. Just got Menace Beneath Costlemark and completing my fishing log left. 65 fish left to go.

Fishing is addicting and fun. I'm pretty burnt out with the rest of the game though. The Menace Beneath Lucis dungeons were all just awful, and this last one disables items which doesn't sound fun.

The hunts were super repetitive, with some of them just being repeats of earlier hunts with beefier stats. The enemies would even be in the exact same place.

Side quests in general were disappointing. The NPCs would often just repeat the exact same lines for the next quest they gave, without even the tiniest bit of story. Even the smallest fetch quests in XIV have more story than these.

There was a lot of potential in this game, but as it stands, it's easily one of the worst mainline titles. Fishing and a small number of out of party characters getting at least some development just barely puts it ahead of XIII. I'm sure the DLC will help it a lot.

GeeTeeCee

There's a level 10 sidequest where some kid wants me to remove a bunch of hunter's traps from the woods. No problem, I say.

Whoops. Said area is the home of two level 34 Coeurls, who are none too happy with my attempts at home improvement.

Tell ya what, kid: how about I just leave the traps where they are and let nature sort itself out?

SHarris78

There's a level 10 sidequest where some kid wants me to remove a bunch of hunter's traps from the woods. No problem, I say.

Whoops. Said area is the home of two level 34 Coeurls, who are none too happy with my attempts at home improvement.

Tell ya what, kid: how about I just leave the traps where they are and let nature sort itself out?

I remember getting to this quest and thinking the same. After dying and reloading a couple of times, the Coeurls had moved off to the other side of the pathway / road leaving me to look for the traps in safety. Looking for them is a nuisance though.

Am I the only one disappointed that there's no "car" music? I mean, they didn't compose any music specifically for the car, all its music is your music player where you choose songs from other sources than FFXV. To me the car is the "overworld", they should be playing overworld theme music while driving the car.

In fact, the music that plays the most during the game is that dang twangy outpost music, they really needed some other music to stick in your mind after playing the game for hours.

Lmao aw help the kid you can do it

LMAO!!! yes!! who the fuck thought that was a great lvl design!?!?!?

Am I the only one disappointed that there's no "car" music? I mean, they didn't compose any music specifically for the car, all its music is your music player where you choose songs from other sources than FFXV. To me the car is the "overworld", they should be playing overworld theme music while driving the car.

In fact, the music that plays the most during the game is that dang twangy outpost music, they really needed some other music to stick in your mind after playing the game for hours.

there is music specifically made for 15 in that list though.
i agree though

there needs to be music all the time in long RPGs like this. silence is horrible.. so i kept putting on old FF music but it turns off at every battle

Trojita

I would have liked an actual radio radio. The game would have needed more development for it though, among all the other things that need fixed.

N° 2048

I would have liked an actual radio radio. The game would have needed more development for it though, among all the other things that need fixed.

Yea like the radios you go up to and press X.

Those snippets should interrupt the music. That's a great idea.

What a stupid ending.

Not to mention (ending scene spoiler, don't read if you haven't beaten the game)
telling hipster hat dude to rest peacefully after beating him, only to attack him again a minute later when both of your spirits are rising upwards sort of robs that moment of any significance, eh?

And all the multiple endings which follow thereafter are even more hollow and meaningless

Not at all.
After Noctis defeats Ardyn, he thought Ardyn could finally be free of the Starscourge. Unfortunately, Ardyn's hatred transcended death, so Noctis had to end it for good by essentially destroying Ardyn at his core, his spirit/soul. He understood Ardyn had lived this long simply out of pure hatred for the Royal line and gods. It was a battle between someone whose right to become king was taken from him against someone who reluctantly became king. Two generations of royalty fight for the date of the world.

If you didn't get that from the game, I don't know what to tell you.

Zakalwe

Banned
What a stupid ending.

Ending is awesome. Ardyn was a sympathetic character. Nothing wrong with that.

That fight with Aranea was crazing. I was fighting her in mid air.

Hah yes, that was super awesome, especially if your armiger gauge is full.

By the by, chapter 7 spoilers but is
glad disappearing to make an opening for dlc? What's that all about. Does something similar happen with the others?

Having actual car radio is a good idea, a good way to drop exposition, be it lore or the empires propaganda etc

glad disappearing to make an opening for dlc? What's that all about. Does something similar happen with the others?

Having actual car radio is a good idea, a good way to drop exposition, be it lore or the empires propaganda etc
Yes and yes

Nephtes

After struggling with the combat yesterday and positing here about it, and then trying again and still finding the control scheme awkward (Control Scheme B), I went to YouTube and found a 30 minute video on combat in the game and why you should use control scheme C.

It's not perfect but wow, so much better. I'm actually getting A's in finesse now.

Trojita

Yea like the radios you go up to and press X.

Those snippets should interrupt the music. That's a great idea.

Yeah, I'd be fine with songs from within final fantasy remixed with maybe some songs (licensing may be somewhat expensive but they've already hired an actual band to perform the remix of a song) as well as talk radio segments that were a part of the radios in game, but just a lot more.

Was I the only one that really didn't understand why the Empire was supposed to be so bad perceptively to everyone else? It's like their presence is kind of there, and I guess they "conquered" these lands, but we are barely shown any of the citizens interactions with them. We know they are gigantic shit heads because of what happened in Insomnia, those patched in Kingsglaive cutscenes lol, but their presence is barely there in say Lestallum.

I also couldn't even tell if Jared
had died or simply been captured.

So I've finished every quest in the game aside from Menace under Costlemark and the Adamantoise.

What's the proper order in which I should do:

1. adamantoise
2. angelus farming
3. menace under Costlemark

?

MilkBeard

After struggling with the combat yesterday and positing here about it, and then trying again and still finding the control scheme awkward (Control Scheme B), I went to YouTube and found a 30 minute video on combat in the game and why you should use control scheme C.

It's not perfect but wow, so much better. I'm actually getting A's in finesse now.
I went with control scheme C, and everything has been smooth. The only issue is accidentally pressing the map button in mid combat.

On another note, Lestallum is visually stunning. Really impressive. Duscae and Lestallum are some of the most beautiful places I've seen this gen so far.

Exentryk

So I've finished every quest in the game aside from Menace under Costlemark and the Adamantoise.

What's the proper order in which I should do:

1. adamantoise
2. angelus farming
3. menace under Costlemark

?

Farm Angelus first as you'll get to use the accessories for both Adamantoise and the dungeon. Then do Adamantoise as it's really easy. Save Costlemark for last. That's the last thing I'll be doing as well.

Trojita

Am I the only one that thought Lestallum was ugly? There's trash everywhere. A supposedly famous luxury hotel behind alleys full of trash and women wearing trash bags for pants.

MilkBeard

Am I the only one that thought Lestallum was ugly? There's trash everywhere. A supposedly famous luxury hotel behind alleys full of trash and women wearing trash bags for pants.

*visually stunning

But yeah, that implies liking the style too. To me, the town looks like what I would have imagined the pre-rendered towns from the PSone days would look like in full 3d, especially FF VIII.

rsniper59

Neo Member
Was I the only one that really didn't understand why the Empire was supposed to be so bad perceptively to everyone else? It's like their presence is kind of there, and I guess they "conquered" these lands, but we are barely shown any of the citizens interactions with them. We know they are gigantic shit heads because of what happened in Insomnia, those patched in Kingsglaive cutscenes lol, but their presence is barely there in say Lestallum.

That's because The Empire, much like nearly every other major plot point or character, is given zero backstory or development in-game. The Empire is just a generic cardboard cut-out villain for the story. Outside of the Insomnia invasion, the worst thing they do is annoy the crap out of you by making the Regalia stop driving when they appear overhead. Which they do all the time.

SkylineRKR

The Empire was terrible because not only it didn't get any story, but they didn't occupy anything either.

In a lot of other games you first have to liberate a town from said army and beat a leader. This just isn't there in FFXV.

joe2187

Banned
I was dissapointed by the ending, but mostly because it felt like I was only seeing 30% of what was going on and was literally just coming in after everything was done.

- Revus taking on the imperial army base should have been something we got to witness, or see or at least hear, instead we literally fall atop of his body during a transition and pickup some scattered notes out of context of the scene.

- The entire imperial facility dungeon was fucking atrocious, it was mind numbing, it was the worst thing in the game besides the puzzle rooms in costlemark tower. There was a hundred well thought dungeons designed throughout the game, and now that we got to the imperial capital it was one of the most boring and dreadful things in the game.

- when we rescue prompto, his reveal of being an MT is so underwhelming and handled with such utter bizzare insincerity and cheesiness that it's supposed impact was just washed away... Nocts super fast "imsorry" felt like something that was edited in half fast.

- We missed so much of the main story and Noct is just walking in everything going "OH SHIT WHAT HAPPANED" the entire time. Never getting to see Tenabrea, Altissa was so much wasted potential. What seemed like an entire level was chopped during the shiva covenent.

Overall the parts of the story I enjoyed was the road trip, everything past Altissa was just one giant bizarre mess that had a lot of potential squandered.

I enjoyed the game immensly, but I liked it best when it was just the backstreet boys and the Mystery machine.

Trojita

In contrast FFVI's Empire

Invades a coal town with advanced weaponry, decimating the local defense force.
Turns Figaro into an occupied Military state
Kidnaps a girl and turns her into a mind controlled soldier for years.
One of their top ranking officials poisons the water of a complete nation.
Goes into a parallel world to kidnap their sentient beings
Kills these sentient beings to turn into weapons
Betrays a truce

Top Bottom