• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ricker

Ugh, looks like I'm actually going to have to grind for the first time this playthrough. I'm about 10 levels under what the "recommended level" is for the next main quest.

Yep,I mean the game is not hard per say but for the Chapter 7 Dungeon and all,I was 10 levels over the suggested and it took me 2 tries...best is tying to be equal at least ;)

EDIT: Oh its your second playthrough...still. ;)

Permanently A

I tried, but nah. This combat system is bad. Every time I meet a giant boss its not "oh boy can't wait to fight this badass" but "oh boy can't wait for the camera to fuck me"

I really wanted to enjoy it. I wanted Final Fantasy with Kingdom Hearts gameplay. But this is a cheap knockoff of that.

Koozek

I tried, but nah. This combat system is bad. Every time I meet a giant boss its not "oh boy can't wait to fight this badass" but "oh boy can't wait for the camera to fuck me"

I really wanted to enjoy it. I wanted Final Fantasy with Kingdom Hearts gameplay. But this is a cheap knockoff of that.
Lol, seems you were thinking of Versus, which had more KH-like combat under Nomura and his team of which many worked on KH before. After the reboot in '12 that team was replaced by the Type-0 staff and the combat changed. If you watch the 2011 Versus trailer it still had that floatier KH combat.

Final Fantasy XV is one of Amazon’s best-selling games over the holidays.

Actually, looking at their list it's the best-selling game of all year after Pokémon? How is that possible with COD, Battlefield & Co.? oO

That list isnt total game sales. Its individual skus, that is talking specifically about hte PS4 version of FFXV where 80% of its sales are coming from.

It also doesnt count bundles or Uncharted, COD, BF would be higher. Its still a very good sign though.

I miss the magic system shown in Versus, like the Fire spell being pretty much the same as KH2 Fire.

I'm not a fan of XV's magic system at all. It's too tedious to use, and they're all "grenades". 3 uses by default and you have to keep crafting, which breaks the flow of combat. It would've been nice to at least have an "auto refill" checkbox to automatically craft the same spell when you run out, as long as you have the mats.

reKon

Banned
There's a level 10 sidequest where some kid wants me to remove a bunch of hunter's traps from the woods. No problem, I say.

Whoops. Said area is the home of two level 34 Coeurls, who are none too happy with my attempts at home improvement.

Tell ya what, kid: how about I just leave the traps where they are and let nature sort itself out?

I just did this one yesterday. I definitely over leveled before doing this sidequest so I've been at 42 / 43 for the past 6 hours or so, stacking up EXP until I on the boat to the Altissia.

Why the fuck were these things so powerful, killing my party in a few hits? These are only level 34... wtf...

I miss the magic system shown in Versus, like the Fire spell being pretty much the same as KH2 Fire.

I'm not a fan of XV's magic system at all. It's too tedious to use, and they're all "grenades". 3 uses by default and you have to keep crafting, which breaks the flow of combat. It would've been nice to at least have an "auto refill" checkbox to automatically craft the same spell when you run out, as long as you have the mats.

magic is the worst out of any FF I've played. I have a good feeling that FFVII is going to be a significantly better game.

I'm still enjoying this game, but it definitely is a beautiful mess that's fun to play through. I do like the characters and the story so far is vague in some areas, but it's not nearly as convoluted as FFXIII was. It's crazy how a few changes would significantly improve this game. My biggest complaints with the combat is still the awful camera.

Lol, a coeurl gave me my first game over last night. Noct had 100% max HP and maybe 75% current health but he got instagibbed. He was already Lv 52.

Also, can anyone explain why Max HP drops without ever being in Danger? I noticed it while doing a dungeon.

Gbraga

Yeah, I agree. Magic is really powerful in XV, but I'd give that for a more fun to use system. Royal Arms can be powerful as shit too, but I ignore most of them because the movesets are boring, so I don't really care about that.

I'm of the opinion that the combat system in the final game is the most interesting it ever seemed to be, but the magic was very disappointing.

That said, you can cast some with a ton of uses and if you keep them for strong foes and don't manually aim them, they're not that bad. So at the same time I was positively surprised with the magic. It's still boring, but I guess I expected it to be even more boring, and it can be kind of fun.

Yep,I mean the game is not hard per say but for the Chapter 7 Dungeon and all,I was 10 levels over the suggested and it took me 2 tries...best is tying to be equal at least ;)

EDIT: Oh its your second playthrough...still. ;)
Sorry, I worded that post...poorly. It's still my first playthrough lol. I'm about to head into Chapter 14 now.

Caim

Lol, a coeurl gave me my first game over last night. Noct had 100% max HP and maybe 75% current health but he got instagibbed. He was already Lv 52.

Also, can anyone explain why Max HP drops without ever being in Danger? I noticed it while doing a dungeon.

Coeurls have a really strong attack (might be OHKO) where they sit down for a bit and then counter you and it does a lot of damage.

Are you using Royal Arms? Whenever you attack you lose health.

XNarte

Wow. I have played this for 120 hours on a PS4 Pro and even on my 1080p tv was very impressed with this game's graphics, but I just got a UHD 4k and HDR smart tv today and holy hell, it is incredible! So much crisper and smoother.

And I now "get" HDR. The best example I can give is if you see a pretty sunset in real life that looks full of shades of color but when you go to take a picture on your phone, it never matches the range you see with your eyes. That is how vibrant the game looks now. I'm fighting some tonberry knights at night right now and the particle effects are jumping off the screen with rich color. So awesome. Developers really need to show their Pro support, this is amazing.

LordKasual

Banned
So I'm in the first dungeon. But I have a problem, as soon as you walk in the boys go into slow walk crouch mode and they won't get out of it. Do I have to go through the whol dungeon (and the rest too?) this way? Because if so my god

You can run. You just can't jog.

It's annoying at first, but it actually can be helpful because they only slow-walk through areas you haven't explored before.

So you can kind of use it to know where you've been without having to resort to the map. If they aren't auto-walking, you're somewhere you haven't been.

Man, farming MA-X Angelus is the most boring thing. The fight's cheesable but it still takes a while, the spawn rate isn't great, and the drop rate of the desired accessory is pretty damn bad.

Gbraga

Just finished Coctura's quest.

Can't believe they didn't make it look like the one in Brotherhood :CCCC

They ruined what would be a beautiful reference. Not to mention it's kind of a bummer to find the perfect recipe like this, Ignis should be the one to come up with it :CCCCC

RUINED.

Might do nothing for you but could give control type c a go in the options. It moves the attack and block to the triggers, so you can still manually turn the camera as you attack. Truth be told, you'll still have moments where everything goes a bit haywire but that, and wait mode make it a fun thing for me, even when things get a bit much.

Darksol

Not at all.
After Noctis defeats Ardyn, he thought Ardyn could finally be free of the Starscourge. Unfortunately, Ardyn's hatred transcended death, so Noctis had to end it for good by essentially destroying Ardyn at his core, his spirit/soul. He understood Ardyn had lived this long simply out of pure hatred for the Royal line and gods. It was a battle between someone whose right to become king was taken from him against someone who reluctantly became king. Two generations of royalty fight for the date of the world.

If you didn't get that from the game, I don't know what to tell you.

I understood what they were going for. It's just weak sauce.

People really have their blinders on for this game. I think I need to give people a few months to come to their senses. Between this and people defending the
press O to Goku unloseable boss battles
, I'm surprised to see such love for it.

Holy shit. In Costlemark tower,
how the hell are you supposed to beat the room with the giant thunder bombs? Are they infinite? Are you supposed to ignore them and run away? Can you even beat them?

Gbraga

Holy shit. In Costlemark tower,
how the hell are you supposed to beat the room with the giant thunder bombs? Are they infinite? Are you supposed to ignore them and run away? Can you even beat them?

There's food to give you complete immunity to elemental damage in Galdin Quay. It's worth it.

I'm pretty sure if you just click R3, exit the dungeon, go back to Galdin Quay to eat and then return to the dungeon, nothing will respawn. If it's already morning, accept a random nighttime hunt in Galdin Quay before going back to Costlemark.

There's food to give you complete immunity to elemental damage in Galdin Quay. It's worth it.

I'm pretty sure if you just click R3, exit the dungeon, go back to Galdin Quay to eat and then return to the dungeon, nothing will respawn. If it's already morning, accept a random nighttime hunt in Galdin Quay before going back to Costlemark.

Thanks, yo!

LordKasual

Banned
What a stupid ending.

Not to mention (ending scene spoiler, don't read if you haven't beaten the game)
telling hipster hat dude to rest peacefully after beating him, only to attack him again a minute later when both of your spirits are rising upwards sort of robs that moment of any significance, eh?

And all the multiple endings which follow thereafter are even more hollow and meaningless

What a shallow piece of shit story.

That said, I enjoyed the game despite all of its glaring flaws.

I think you missed what the point of the battle was. (Spoilers, don't click)
Ardyn was immortal. He cannot die because the Six won't let him ascend (go to afterlife). Noctis defeating him in battle wasn't going to kill him, he was just going to come back. And as long as he comes back, the daemons and starscourge will remain. This is why Ardyn asks if Noctis plans to a) end the daemon scourge (sacrifice himself) or b) erase him from history again ("kill" him, only to have him reappear later at some point because he's immortal).

Noctis tells him that he's going to let him finally rest. Ardyn tells him he's going to wait for him.

Noctis summons the kings of lucis into the ring, killing himself. He then ascends into the afterlife, where Ardyn is waiting for him. He unleashes the full power of the ring onto Ardyn, completely purifying his soul of the daemons, effectively killing him (for real).

They both move on into the afterlife, Noctis is dead, Ardyn is dead, the crystal is gone, the Lucis line is ended, and the source of the daemons has been destroyed.

Ardyn seems afraid of Noctis when he appears before him. I believe we're to assume that was the starscourge inside of him fearing imminent destruction, which is why it shows itself and why Luna's touch seems to damage him so much.

They shouldnt have bothered putting flying in game, its so bad, seems faster to drive, if you looks at minimap while flying it seems like you're moving incredibly fast but thats not the case, good one SE, good one.

Just tried out wait mode for the first time after getting too frustrated with swarm mobs. Honestly think I prefer this mode but it really feels like cheating...

LordKasual

Banned
Flying is absolutely not slower than driving, wtf?

It's faster than fast travel across some distances. At least on a standard PS4 HDD.

Ishida

Banned
They shouldnt have bothered putting flying in game, its so bad, seems faster to drive, if you looks at minimap while flying it seems like you're moving incredibly fast but thats not the case, good one SE, good one.

Wha... What...?

Flying is extremely fast.

Flying is absolutely not slower than driving, wtf?

It's faster than fast travel across some distances. At least on a standard PS4 HDD.

Feels like I've crossed into an insane reality, man.

Astral Dog

At least KH comes out next month

Just tried out wait mode for the first time after getting too frustrated with swarm mobs. Honestly think I prefer this mode but it really feels like cheating...

I like the idea of wait mode but i just can't gel with the activation method. I'd love the option to sacrifice hard lock (which I never use) and have a manual switch on R3.

Gbraga

The upgraded Force Stealer is really strong.

I just wanted to use it because it's one of the OG Noctis weapons, but then I saw you could upgrade it.

At least KH comes out next month

Eeeh.

The one I really want is 1.5+2.5. I'm still not entirely sold on 0.2, and I don't care about 3D.

I hope I'm wrong and 0.2 turns out to be amazing, KH is one of my favorite franchises (I actually like it more than FF), but I'm really not feeling this one.

KH III I'm in full hype mode already, though.

LotusHD

Banned
Yea aside from the obvious issues (crashing and what not, though I guess Ignis solves that), flying does feel pretty pointless. Between just fast traveling and getting AP through driving normally, I find it hard to find scenarios where it's the most sensible way to travel. The AP skill in particular's a big one, it really sucks that it doesn't apply to flying, especially considering how much AP you need to max out everything anyways. So yea, I'm at the point where I did it a few times when I first got the upgrade because hey, it's a car that can fly, and
because you need to use it in order to access the secret dungeon
. But afterwards, I pretty much just stopped doing it unless my friends are around and I feel like showing off, or if I'm just really, really bored.

But hey, I have unlimited gas at least.

Gbraga

I just got Cidney in the "camping" animation in Hammerhead. First time I got this in 109 hours, pretty cool.

Maybe I just suck at the combat, the camera and targeting in general just feels really bad.

They are.

It's manageable, but they're terrible. Could be easily improved, too.

The one I really want is 1.5+2.5. I'm still not entirely sold on 0.2, and I don't care about 3D.

I hope I'm wrong and 0.2 turns out to be amazing, KH is one of my favorite franchises (I actually like it more than FF), but I'm really not feeling this one.

KH III I'm in full hype mode already, though.

My problem with 0.2 is I think it's going to whet my appetite but not satisfy it. I don't know if I'll get it Day 1, but even if I do I don't intend to play it until after 1.5+2.5 PS4 and we have a solid-ish date for KH3.

Mailbox

>.>

On the road, with a super charger you go around 60 mph, in flight its at least 70 iirc, so it is indeed faster than road, not to mention you don't have to go through turns and parts that slow travel down. instead of taking 7-8 minutes to reach caem from hammerhead it takes like 3.

If you are having an issue with landing, have ignis fly since he course corrects for the roads

I personally really like flying and am glad they had it in the game.

Gbraga

My problem with 0.2 is I think it's going to whet my appetite but not satisfy it. I don't know if I'll get it Day 1, but even if I do I don't intend to play it until after 1.5+2.5 PS4 and we have a solid-ish date for KH3.

Yeah. I'll definitely play it at some point, no way I'll skip on new KH content, but I don't think what's there is enough to get me to buy it day one. 1.5+2.5 at 60fps, though? GODDAMN that's a nice package of awesome.

>.>

On the road, with a super charger you go around 60 mph, in flight its at least 70 iirc, so it is indeed faster than road, not to mention you don't have to go through turns and parts that slow travel down. instead of taking 7-8 minutes to reach caem from hammerhead it takes like 3.

If you are having an issue with landing, have ignis fly since he course corrects for the roads

I personally really like flying and am glad they had it in the game.

How about the invisible walls, turns you around which is frustrating, why cant you fly over everything in world, whats the deal with that, then you have to land which isnt hard but you still have to take time to adjust to road, just takes longer for me at least, they shouldve made it more helicopter like so can land anywhere but Im sure they thought of that and just couldnt for reasons.

BriGuy

It has an awesome theme song though. Too bad they drown it out with engine noises that you can't muffle.

Just finished last night/this morning (4am lol). Overall I really enjoyed it a lot, but it was a frustrating experience. I feel like the lore/story outline left with it potential to be the GOAT Final Fantasy, but as is obvious, the execution is supremely lacking. I don't know if more time would have solved most of the issues, but the pieces were there. The fact that in this mess of story-telling
Ardyn
(is this a spoiler at this point?) managed to be a top-tier villain in a medium filled with mediocrity is extremely impressive. The inability to properly intertwine Luna with the story is easily the game's biggest flaw, IMO.
There needed to be more pre-death flashbacks and perhaps a gameplay section with her as a party member.
I'm looking forward to the (probably disappointing) DLC and new patches and definitely look forward to a second playthrough once the game is as complete as it's going to be.

Also the music in this game is fucking god-tier. Shimomura single-handedly saves the Leviathan battle and I wish the Cleigne battle theme played for every battle.

NeoBob688

Is there a problem with my game? The companion dialogues are not paced well within the game world. They speak their lines often too quickly and tend to talk over each other a lot of the times.

Top Bottom