• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Just finished the game. Wow that last scene hit me like a truck.

I absolutely loved the game. (Besides Chapter 13... but I get what they were going for.) It was a mixed bag of open world and linearity and to be honest I quite liked that. Being able to explore and then be thrust into the linear story areas helped to tell the tale, even if it was sort of confusing at times. I also didn't really care for the fact that you wouldn't know some major details if you didn't read some of the newspapers or even the transitions between chapters; that could have been done better.

The combat also was good although the camera at times, as well as being swarmed by mobs of enemies made it somewhat frustrating. But overall it was really good with different weapon varieties, summons (limited, but I loved the flashiness of them), and absolutely incredible cast of friends you have on your journey with you.

Can't wait for the DLC to explore these characters some more. Good job SE.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm kinda sad there's no opening movie/credits for this game like what FFXII and FFXIII had. They could have used this this trailer for the opening credits. It's so good.

Vashetti

Banned
Getting really fed up of Ramuh being the only summon to ever save me

I've had Shiva once, but other than that it's always Ramuh. I've finished the main story and have never had Titan or Leviathan.

putermcgee

Finally platinumed the game last night. Adamatoise took about 90 minutes, and considering you barely get a good look at the turtle, fighting a giant leg for that long isn't all that fun.

Finally got around to playing the Platinum Demo. That was actually a lot of fun, I can see why people hated it at the time, but I thought it was really well made for a demo.

I'm not going to regret my purchase just now right? Still waiting for it to install but the game gave me this one option for open combat for now. I don't know what the F' I was doing, mashing buttons and hoping a real tutorial is soon to come with the full install.

sackninja

So, does the dream egg do anything or is it just to show you played the festival? Is there anything worth getting from the festival?

So, does the dream egg do anything or is it just to show you played the festival? Is there anything worth getting from the festival?
We don't know what it will or won't do for you yet. Hopefully something nice that's chocobo related.

The festival's a nice diversion with some really gorgeous lighting and effects, and you can get some mid-tier fishing equipment and reasonably access to most of Cid's required items for upgrading equipment (not the sturdy helixhorn though). Plenty of stuff that'd be great if you were just starting the game but not much of worth for people who've finished the game, let alone people who have 100%ed it.

Vashetti

Banned
So, I went to the carnaval, quit, now Im not at the carnaval. How do I get back at the carnaval? I forgot how.

'Special' option in the opening Main Menu

The Carnival is entirely separate from the main game, only the items you collect from it carry over to your save.

Messed around with the carnaval a bit, but no. I'm done with the game. Can't be bothered with the post game. It's my least favorite Final Fantasy so far. Time to trade it in. I got more frustration then joy out of it.
The ending was cool though.

Ambitious

There is no faster way to farm AP than warp-killing low-level enemies with the Shield of the Just and keeping summoning more, is there? It's so dreadfully slow.

I just hard quit from Pitioss Ruins. Went in all confident like, but the 2D section broke me utterly. Might be my least favourite thing ever in an FF, comparable to all of FFX's bullshit minigames.

There is no faster way to farm AP than warp-killing low-level enemies with the Shield of the Just and keeping summoning more, is there? It's so dreadfully slow.

Nope.

The game's AP economy is pretty seriously bad and (honestly) the overall ability system is pretty dull. It's a good thing the moment-to-moment gameplay is reasonably engaging compared to most WRPGs, but I wish the game had a much much bigger Ascension tree *and* basically poured AP at you like a firehose so part of a given playthrough would be all about choosing an endgame character build and getting great at it (and then postgame/NG+ would make it reasonably easy to max out Ascension altogether). But if you wanted, for example, a purely magic-oriented Noctis, even a full endgame+postgame playthrough of normal play isn't enough to max out the Magic part of the Ascension grid alone, let alone any other nodes whatsoever (and even once you got all of those abilities, there's no way to speed up the magic cooldown time so it's a fundamentally unfeasible build).

I've been running around in a battle for 15 minutes... Everyone is dead but noct and I'm still not getting a summon prompt... Wtf do I have to do to get a summon trophy? It's the last one I need for a plat!

I've been running around in a battle for 15 minutes... Everyone is dead but noct and I'm still not getting a summon prompt... Wtf do I have to do to get a summon trophy? It's the last one I need for a plat!

It's insane how bad they botched basic FF mechanics like magic and summoning. Summoning might as well not even be in the game it's so pointless.

RiggyRob

Should I debase myself? I'm 20 hours in, still on the third chapter, and doing hunts and sidequests like there's no tomorrow.

Don't see why not, but to me the number of hunts and sidequests there are, I don't think the devs of this game expect you to complete all of them? Going by how the main story missions are balanced.

Ambitious

Nope.

The game's AP economy is pretty seriously bad and (honestly) the overall ability system is pretty dull. It's a good thing the moment-to-moment gameplay is reasonably engaging compared to most WRPGs, but I wish the game had a much much bigger Ascension tree *and* basically poured AP at you like a firehose so part of a given playthrough would be all about choosing an endgame character build and getting great at it (and then postgame/NG+ would make it reasonably easy to max out Ascension altogether). But if you wanted, for example, a purely magic-oriented Noctis, even a full endgame+postgame playthrough of normal play isn't enough to max out the Magic part of the Ascension grid alone, let alone any other nodes whatsoever (and even once you got all of those abilities, there's no way to speed up the magic cooldown time so it's a fundamentally unfeasible build).

Yeah.. I guess I'm not gonna bother anymore. I'll try to unlock the Link Strike Limit Break at the very least. Maybe.

Haha yes. Fuck the Tonberries and Ronins. FUCK THEM!!!

It just went on and on and on, but I somehow managed to beat it with the few Phoenix Down's and healing items I had left. Fuck that dungeon.

No, actually, fuck all Menace dungeons. Are they fucking serious? The same two rooms over and over again, the same enemies over and over again? Just terrible.

It's insane how bad they botched basic FF mechanics like magic and summoning. Summoning might as well not even be in the game it's so pointless.

I don't even use magic unless I encounter an enemy resistant to physical attacks. The system is just way too clunky. And the cooldown really sucks.

Summoning is probably my biggest disappointment about FFXV. I've seen
Ramuh, Titan, Shiva and Leviathan in the trailers and gameplay videos they released, and I was really excited to see the rest of the summons. Learning that there are only six in total seriously bummed me out.

I guess you can imagine how baffled I was when I realized that it's actually not even possible to use the remaining two (apart from that one scripted instance).

So, four summons in total. And they're RNG-based. That's just sad.

dan2026

Does anyone have any advice for getting better at the combat in this game?
I'm not sure I like it, most of the time it feels like chaos that I barely have any control over.

Well here it is:
That was an enjoyable watch. Thank you!

Thanks! I've been working hard on the combat and I'm pretty happy with this. It just shows how exciting and stylish you can be when you learn the mechanics of the combat. I tried to make this CMV have a bit of story. :)

Does anyone have any advice for getting better at the combat in this game?
I'm not sure I like it, most of the time it feels like chaos that I barely have any control over.

Buy certain skills such as Blink, Blink Boost. Use wait mode to understand enemies weakness or even just halt the combat for a bit of breathing space. Also watch some combo videos and combo tutorials as they can really step this game up in terms of combat.
(i'm at work so I can't link them just yet) but there is a lot of depth to this game.

dan2026

Well here it is:

Thanks! I've been working hard on the combat and I'm pretty happy with this. It just shows how exciting and stylish you can be when you learn the mechanics of the combat. I tried to make this CMV have a bit of story. :)

Buy certain skills such as Blink, Blink Boost. Use wait mode to understand enemies weakness or even just halt the combat for a bit of breathing space. Also watch some combo videos and combo tutorials as they can really step this game up in terms of combat.
(i'm at work so I can't link them just yet) but there is a lot of depth to this game.
Thanks.
When you are attacking are you supposed to just hold circle or tap it?
I also feel like its very difficult to dodge enemy attacks?
Can you not cancel your attack into a dodge?

I don't even use magic unless I encounter an enemy resistant to physical attacks. The system is just way too clunky. And the cooldown really sucks.

I never used magic in my 127 hour playtime/ Platinum.

Yes that includes fighting the invulnerable Flans in Menace. You know what works on them?

Assassin's Daggers - poison them first
Prompto's Gravity Technique - deals around 33%-40% health bar damage with each cast.

I only crafted 2 spells in the entire game - during Tutorial battle with Gladio.

Magic could not exist in this game for me.

Summons on the other hand are done amazingly well and that includes the RNG element. They are really, really powerful and having them being summoned actually means something in this game unlike all other FF titles.

Shame that Ramuh took away like 5% of Adamantoise life when Summoned :D :D :D

But Titan did kill the last boss in one shot. Now that's impressive for a Summon in a FF title, no?

I remember in the first 20 hours I was super disappointed with FF15's music. So much that I only listened to FF12/ FF13 tracks in the Regalia.

Now, I was wrong of course.

There are so many good tracks in this game.

Hellfire IMO is the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQ2fwUOxe0

Just listen to it as a whole. INCREDIBLE. What a fucking piece of music!!! Still in disbelief about the whole game's ending chapter - done so good... from start to finish... the perfect closure to this tite. They could NOT DO A BETTER ENDING even if the tried. It was mind blowing. And flawless.

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks.
When you are attacking are you supposed to just hold circle or tap it?
I also feel like its very difficult to dodge enemy attacks?
Can you not cancel your attack into a dodge?

Press square as the enemy is about to hit, to dodge.

When the square prompt appears on screen, HOLD square down to block, and be ready to immediately press circle (prompt will appear on screen for that too) to instantly retaliate.

There's a great ability you should get where you when you press square you sort of 'phase' out of the way.

I used magic throughout the whole game, you all are crazy.

Yup, insanely useful.

Toth

I never used magic in my 127 hour playtime/ Platinum.

Yes that includes fighting the invulnerable Flans in Menace. You know what works on them?

Assassin's Daggers - poison them first
Prompto's Gravity Technique - deals around 33%-40% health bar damage with each cast.

I only crafted 2 spells in the entire game - during Tutorial battle with Gladio.

Magic could not exist in this game for me.

Summons on the other hand are done amazingly well and that includes the RNG element. They are really, really powerful and having them being summoned actually means something in this game unlike all other FF titles.

Shame that Ramuh took away like 5% of Adamantoise life when Summoned :D :D :D

But Titan did kill the last boss in one shot. Now that's impressive for a Summon in a FF title, no?

Just goes to show that the game was well designed for any play style.

dan2026

Press square as the enemy is about to hit, to dodge.

When the square prompt appears on screen, HOLD square down to block, and be ready to immediately press circle (prompt will appear on screen for that too) to instantly retaliate.

There's a great ability you should get where you when you press square you sort of 'phase' out of the way.

The timing must be very straight for that dodge thing because half the time it does seem to work. I really do feel like I am missing something with this combat.

Also how do you scan for enemies weakness without using wait mode?

but against more than 1-2 enemies, it just feels like a clusterfuck most of the time.

This is also my issue. Maybe its because I am trying to play this like Devil May Cry or something that I have have so much trouble.

I would hope so. I'd be fucking stupid if you can't.

Top Bottom