• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Sanctuary

Could someone give some advice on combat, specifically lock on and the camera? I feel like there's a potentially really fun combat system buried somewhere, but against more than 1-2 enemies, it just feels like a clusterfuck most of the time.

How do you actually hard lock an enemy? Holding R1 is just a soft lock (and moving the camera changes targets), and I've read that hitting R3 (once) will keep the lock on your currently selected target. That just keeps bringing up the map.

If R3 is actually locking on, am I not ever supposed to hit the right stick again? Enemies just end up going off screen, and hitting the stick just makes me select something else.

Also how do you scan for enemies weakness without using wait mode?

Can you?

Ambitious

Don't think I'm gonna bother going there until I've grinded out all the AP unlocks, lol

Floor 3 of 60. Got hit one time too often and went into Danger mode. As always, my party members ignored me and just bumbled about. The enemy hit me one more time, and that was it. Now I have to make my way through the entire fucking dungeon again, including the shitty block puzzle.

If this happens again, I'm done.

The timing must be very straight for that dodge thing because half the time it does seem to work. I really do feel like I am missing something with this combat.

Also how do you scan for enemies weakness without using wait mode?

It's one of Ignis' abilities he'll randomly use in battle, no way to manually trigger it.

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone know if your Chocobo level carries over to the Carnival?

I've just read the two races at the Carnival have an exclusive key item trophy each, if you get below a certain time.

Well, finally got round to playing the carnival. Did the game need it? Nope. Am I glad it's here? God yes. It's silly, stupid, funny, and it's a shame it's a timed event. Maybe one day they'll unlock it permanently. One day.

"I AM NOCTIS, PRINCE OF LUCIS AND KING OF FISHING!"

Well, finally got round to playing the carnival. Did the game need it? Nope. Am I glad it's here? God yes. It's silly, stupid, funny, and it's a shame it's a timed event. Maybe one day they'll unlock it permanently. One day.

"I AM NOCTIS, PRINCE OF LUCIS AND KING OF FISHING!"
Lmao that part got me! This dude's passion for that hobby is hilarious

ss_lemonade

To those who beat the game, did you also notice very bad color, gradient banding in the final mid credits scene? Not sure if it was just my TV (Samsung ks9000), having hdr enabled, or the scene just having really bad colors. Looked almost like the game was running in 16bit colors, instead of 32bit

Blader

I just completed the base mission in chapter 5 to
retrieve the Regalia[/quote] and the last battle was glitchy as fuck. After I blew up the generator, there was a swarm of soldiers and mechs, and I was getting prompted to
summon Ramuh
but I'd hit L2 and nothing would happen. The prompt kept coming up, I'd press L2, and nothing, repeatedly. I had to fight my way through everyone, and I'm guessing the game didn't count on that happening because during the battle the sky kept shifting from red to blue and back, different music cues would suddenly kick in, and it was only after I took out everyone that
Ramuh finally appeared, just in time to wipe out a base that was devoid of enemies
. Wasted a ton of potions on that fight and got 0 EXP for it!

Can anyone confirm that it was not supposed to happen that way?

ss_lemonade

retrieve the Regalia
and the last battle was glitchy as fuck. After I blew up the generator, there was a swarm of soldiers and mechs, and I was getting prompted to
summon Ramuh
but I'd hit L2 and nothing would happen. The prompt kept coming up, I'd press L2, and nothing, repeatedly. I had to fight my way through everyone, and I'm guessing the game didn't count on that happening because during the battle the sky kept shifting from red to blue and back, different music cues would suddenly kick in, and it was only after I took out everyone that
Ramuh finally appeared, just in time to wipe out a base that was devoid of enemies

You have to hold the L2 trigger for like 3 - 5 seconds to do summons. This confused me too at first.

At least it wasn't as glitchy as mine, where the enemies and noctis suddenly disappeared and I had to reload a save :(

retrieve the Regalia
and the last battle was glitchy as fuck. After I blew up the generator, there was a swarm of soldiers and mechs, and I was getting prompted to
summon Ramuh

I think that point is an obligatory Story Summon. I was so overleveled that I destroyed them in 10 secs and then ran around an empty base until I had to summon him.

Weird as fuck!

Vashetti

Banned
I'm really disappointed by the trophies in this.

All I have left is to max fishing, cooking, and the Adamantoise quest.

But outside of trophies, I have tons of fishes and recipes to collect, hunts to finish, quests to finish, (deeper) dungeons to explore.

Joei

So I'm in chapter 9 I think. I've got like 80 odd hours in the game, and I can't stop doing missions. Like, part of me wants to just finish the game, but the other part of me can't stop doing missions and side quests. That said, I spend an unfortunate amount of time in the load screen warping to last placed rested/the car/fast traveling with car, etc... I mean, it's just tons of loading times. I feel compelled to complete everything I can before proceeding to the next part of the game but my god the loading time.

Thanks.
When you are attacking are you supposed to just hold circle or tap it?
I also feel like its very difficult to dodge enemy attacks?
Can you not cancel your attack into a dodge?

I would recommend tapping to attack but you also have to commit to an attack and can't cancel the animation. You can cancel a few recovery frames but that's about it.

So here's some stuff regarding the combat to get you into the mindset:
CMVs:
From NeoGAFs very own BumblebeeCody (plugplugplug)
Purged Gyrum - Some Like It Hot
FinishingTouch - Chase the Light!
Max Xomarios - Genesis

Weapons:
Asetoni FFXV Has a well documented guide on each of the weapons for FFXV. They go over the moveset and what each weapon is capable of.

Tech:
TenderViddlez show cases some Greatsword Advanced Tech
From NeoGAFs very own BumblebeeCody (plugplugplug) showing how to passive blink
KeyWielderOblivion - show casing how to Airstep effectively
Kumiko gives a great run on what to expect and how to get started on the combat

I honestly believe the combat in this game is amazing and has so much more potential that so many overlook.

Chris R

Whats the easiest way to over level? I'm in chapter 3 right now but would like to be level 99 or whatever so the combat is basically not a factor for the rest of the game

Blader

Thanks for the replies, guys. Thought it seemed glitched to me, just wanted to be sure I didn't fuck something up.

Separate Q: what are some essential Ascension grid spheres I should be filling out? I've never been neglecting the grid for many hours now, and I'm sitting on over 300 AP now. I've gotten a handful of ascension skills already (including the ones that net you AP for driving, camping, and warp striking), but what are some good ones for like HP boosts or good techniques?

Whats the easiest way to over level? I'm in chapter 3 right now but would like to be level 99 or whatever so the combat is basically not a factor for the rest of the game

I spent about 6-7 hours in chapter 3 just doing hunts and side quests to bank EXP, and then slept in campers and hotels to get the boost. I'm about 10 levels higher than the recommended level now in the story, and I'm liking it that way. :lol

benzy

kacetb.png

jkqgto.png

dan2026

I would recommend tapping to attack but you also have to commit to an attack and can't cancel the animation. You can cancel a few recovery frames but that's about it.

So here's some stuff regarding the combat to get you into the mindset:
CMVs:
From NeoGAFs very own BumblebeeCody (plugplugplug)
Purged Gyrum - Some Like It Hot
FinishingTouch - Chase the Light!
Max Xomarios - Genesis

Weapons:
Asetoni FFXV Has a well documented guide on each of the weapons for FFXV. They go over the moveset and what each weapon is capable of.

Tech:
TenderViddlez show cases some Greatsword Advanced Tech
From NeoGAFs very own BumblebeeCody (plugplugplug) showing how to passive blink
KeyWielderOblivion - show casing how to Airstep effectively
Kumiko gives a great run on what to expect and how to get started on the combat

I honestly believe the combat in this game is amazing and has so much more potential that so many overlook.
Thanks dude I have watched some of it and its interesting.

Seems defence over offence is the name of three game here.

tbm24

What's been you guys most efficient way of leveling the photography skill? I'm at lv9 and been running through all the secret dungeons with very serious use of the photo tech for Prompto. Despite going through 3 of them snapping photos left and right, the bar moves up at a snails pace. Only skill I have left to max and I'm slightly losing patience with it.

Chris R

I spent about 6-7 hours in chapter 3 just doing hunts and side quests to bank EXP, and then slept in campers and hotels to get the boost. I'm about 10 levels higher than the recommended level now in the story, and I'm liking it that way. :lol

I got tired of the terrible side quests so I finished chapter 3. I'm only like 8 levels above recommended but even then the combat is killing me.

Minamu

What's been you guys most efficient way of leveling the photography skill? I'm at lv9 and been running through all the secret dungeons with very serious use of the photo tech for Prompto. Despite going through 3 of them snapping photos left and right, the bar moves up at a snails pace. Only skill I have left to max and I'm slightly losing patience with it.
I have no idea what I did but I saved pictures to my log just about any time I rested in the early game, and I rested pretty much every night before getting the special headlights for the Regalia. I had filled the 150 quota before reaching the midgame. I'm not sure what exactly triggers the level meter to grow, if it's the pictures saved or the amount taken. Prompto pretty much always have 10 pictures to show for me, and I've never used any special items for him.

Curufinwe

Looks like it'll take about 6 hours of running in a circle with rubber bands on my thumb sticks to get the last two levels of the Survival skill.

bumpkin

Looks like it'll take about 6 hours of running in a circle with rubber bands on my thumb sticks to get the last two levels of the Survival skill.
I rigged mine up today and went from level 8 to just shy of level 10 in roughly four hours. Thankfully you can do it anywhere, so I parked the Regalia in Lestallum (sp?) and did it in the parking lot.

Minamu

Strangely enough, I got my last level or so by running between hunts near Ravatogh. Didn't take long at all, I was shocked.

Edit: I got like a 1/4th level, by running between 2-3 hunts, and they were just south of the quest giver.

glaurung

I only got around to finishing the main story last weekend. Hit level 58 before the end. Also, did not really care for the ending, both story-wise and action-wise. The "run-around-the-corridors-alone" bit was super annoying too.

Now that I have finished the game though, a couple of questions. Spoiler-tag the answers if that is necessary.

1. What was the deal with Chapter 13 before the patches? I obviously did not see the original cut of this.
  2. I missed the flying car. Where do you get it from?
  3. I found most dungeon design to the horrid. Should I go back and complete the ones I missed?
  4. What is the easiest way to farm for AP. I thought it would get easier by the end, but those 999 AP skills... I am nowhere near.

Vashetti

Banned
I only got around to finishing the main story last weekend. Hit level 58 before the end. Also, did not really care for the ending, both story-wise and action-wise. The "run-around-the-corridors-alone" bit was super annoying too.

Now that I have finished the game though, a couple of questions. Spoiler-tag the answers if that is necessary.

1. What was the deal with Chapter 13 before the patches? I obviously did not see the original cut of this.
  2. I missed the flying car. Where do you get it from?
  3. I found most dungeon design to the horrid. Should I go back and complete the ones I missed?
  4. What is the easiest way to farm for AP. I thought it would get easier by the end, but those 999 AP skills... I am nowhere near.

Yes you did, it hasn't been patched yet.

dan2026

It's really bumming me out there is no way to scan for weakness' in active mode.
Ignis is useless and hardly ever does it.

I can't understand this gameplay decision at all. Why would they have it this way?

glaurung

It's really bumming me out there is no way to scan for weakness' in active mode.

I can't understand this gameplay decision at all. Why would they have it this way?
What, I thought that Ignis aggressively casts Analyze at the start of every single fight. It sometimes gets on my nerves that he is standing in the back and not killing stuff.

Interfectum

I'm currently doing chapter 13 right now. I've dreaded this chapter thanks to the internet but so far I'm not seeing what's wrong with it. Is this a long chapter?

Honestly I thought chapters 9-13 haven't been near as bad as people have been saying. Maybe my expectations have been properly adjusted or something. I'm kind of enjoying the linearity after all the open world stuff.

dan2026

What, I thought that Ignis aggressively casts Analyze at the start of every single fight. It sometimes gets on my nerves that he is standing in the back and not killing stuff.

Nope doesn't seem to.
If they have been analysed when you lock on to them it should pop up that window with their weakness right?

Should've adopted the FFXIII thing where once a given enemy type has been scanned once it's permanently scanned (and this improves your ally AI against it).

RiggyRob

Despite now having Chocobos to speed up travelling on the overworld, I think the pace of completing certain hunts can be described as glacial at best. I mean, 9 Voretooths, really? Plus the dozens we've killed before don't count - I really wish you could take more than one hunt at once.

Also, does anyone else think the random battle encounter rate is absurdly high? Having the magitek imperials invading every few minutes while we were looking for the Aerowax for the Regalia got really fucking annoying and will still be if it carries on at this pace.

Yeah, I would have thought that once an enemy has been scanned successfully it'd be added to a bestiary of sorts so that your team just know what it's weak straight away, it's weird they don't keep it highlighted on the screen.

Curufinwe

I rigged mine up today and went from level 8 to just shy of level 10 in roughly four hours. Thankfully you can do it anywhere, so I parked the Regalia in Lestallum (sp?) and did it in the parking lot.

I did it there for a couple hours last night while I was watching TV. When I switched back to the game, they were out on the tunnel road outside Lestallum! I don't know how that happened.

does anyone else think the random battle encounter rate is absurdly high? Having the magitek imperials invading every few minutes while we were looking for the Aerowax for the Regalia got really fucking annoying and will still be if it carries on at this pace.

Thank god for the magitek imperials invading every 30 seconds. without it farming for the Magitek Suit V2 would be madness, it is already madness but it would make people go insane probably haha :)

my 5 hours today has been load game, first drop ship arrives, no giant robot, normal fucking soldiers. pause, load game, wait for drop ship, no giant robot, pause, load game.... when I do get the mech, it drops magitek suite... but not the improved one that I want :(

The Magitek V2 drop rate wouldn't be so bad (the enemy's easy enough to kill quickly with a postgame party) if it didn't also take multiple tries to spawn an Angelus.

IMO the barricade door to the crater at the center of Duscae should release an Angelus every time you approach it during the endgame, so you could just guaranteed-spawn them over and over again (sort of like how you could guarantee a flan princess spawn in ff4 with the alarm bell item).

The Magitek V2 drop rate wouldn't be so bad (the enemy's easy enough to kill quickly with a postgame party) if it didn't also take multiple tries to spawn an Angelus.

IMO the barricade door to the crater at the center of Duscae should release an Angelus every time you approach it during the endgame, so you could just guaranteed-spawn them over and over again (sort of like how you could guarantee a flan princess spawn in ff4 with the alarm bell item).

really? there is a guaranteed spawn spot for the Angelus?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That military base to the right of hammerhead, do you ever enter it? I forget if I was in there or not :/

Yes.

You'd remember. Very mild spoilers that aren't part of the main quest*

At some point while driving or walking around you'll witness a flying magitek fortress descend on that area. Once you get there you'll have a fight against the guy you fought against at the first base and I think the guy you knocked out at the other base. You have a survival match against swarms of Magitek drop ships of soldiers and mechs. You need the item from there, gotten when you finish the battle, to get the flying car.

I feel like story beats are always happening elsewhere in this game. And that it keeps expecting me to have prior knowledge of new characters or events they keep introducing. Maybe I'm too stupid for this game, but the story is doing nothing for me like past FF games have.

Oh man, I'm gaining AP so much faster with two fanfares equipped (I don't use the one for Finesse because I never get A+ for that)! I wish I'd used them sooner.

The Ascension node for more AP for big fish is really good, too.

Minamu

Yes.

You'd remember. Very mild spoilers that aren't part of the main quest*

At some point while driving or walking around you'll witness a flying magitek fortress descend on that area. Once you get there you'll have a fight against the guy you fought against at the first base and I think the guy you knocked out at the other base. You have a survival match against swarms of Magitek drop ships of soldiers and mechs. You need the item from there, gotten when you finish the battle, to get the flying car.
That sounds like the base to the norrhwest to me :lol I must have my memories mixed up, as I clearly have the car :)

Top Bottom