• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

So early game when night time is instant death is your only option to bank exp for a better inn to derp around a safe zone like hammerhead?

WarAdept

So uhh, I'm still on Chapter 3.

Where did this Ultima Blade come from lol. I'm just running around doing quests and hunts and I noticed this in my inventory.

Because this thing is absurd. Is this an endgame weapon?

Ishida

Banned

Where did this Ultima Blade come from lol. I'm just running around doing quests and hunts and I noticed this in my inventory.

You did the quests for Cid. He upgraded your Engine Blade.

Audioboxer

You get it from upgrading Nocts weapon through Cid. I am one level before the final rank. Good to know whatever you have done to get the final piece needed for the weapon can be done in the same chapter I'm in, 3. lol. Damn early! I thought I was doing good getting to rank 2 this early.

tookhster

Chapter 9:

Holy shit, so
they really cut out a lot from what was shown in the E3 trailer a few years ago where Noctis is warping throughout the building and stuff and all the setpieces before fighting Leviathan.

I know a lot was cut since Nomura left, but I was really looking forward to that part. Major let down, especially since I heard so many people praising chapter 9. Instead we just a Super Sonic-like boss fight where you just mash circle.

LordKasual

Banned
Good points. I'm sure the system will make sense the more I dive into FF15. I can say I am having fun and enjoying myself, but I did just recently complete FF7 again on PS4 so I guess I got some nostalgia injection beforehand :p

I have no problem with Square trying different things, they just need better project management at times. It's somewhat sad FF14 has been the best FF game in a while, and jeez it launched as an absolute disaster as well. As much as I dislike FF13, the real kicker was Square steaming ahead with 3 games around FF13. I think that was partly to do with assets as well, it's easier to make a sequel in the same world/with same characters. Dat PS3 era HD towns issue JRPG devs kept having.

If we ever get a FF16 I wouldn't be opposed to it being open world, I just hope Square are a bit more focused and yeah, maybe lean on a bit more of what FF fans like. In the meantime I will enjoy FF15 for what it is, and then move onto Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2 which I'm sure will fly the flagship for JRPG nostalgia.

This formula set by XV is the best thing to happen to Final Fantasy since PS1 to me. Reason being, there is no game design territory that XV doesn't prove square could tackle if it really wanted to.

The move into open world is just as significant as the move into PS1, which took FF games from 2D sprite worlds to whatever they could pre-render as a scene to stick you in. And now with XV, we've got massive environments, airships, gigantic enemies, moving set pieces, cities, and most importantly a real-time action formula. Just take any Final Fantasy game...and reimagine it, except in FFXV's formula. A seamless Midgar with no loading screens, An FF8 garden battle setpiece in real time, FF9's opening sequence, FF10's pilgramage through Spira, with all 6 of you fighting at once. How fucking cool would that look.

And XV was practically rushed out the door. I'm really excited for the coming content for XV, but my potential hopes for XVI have never been higher. We finally have a JRPG that approaches the scale of the western ones.

Audioboxer

This formula set by XV is the best thing to happen to Final Fantasy since PS1 to me. Reason being, there is no game design territory that XV doesn't prove square could tackle if it really wanted to.

The move into open world is just as significant as the move into PS1, which took FF games from 2D sprite worlds to whatever they could pre-render as a scene to stick you in. And now with XV, we've got massive environments, airships, gigantic enemies, moving set pieces, cities, and most importantly a real-time action formula. Just take any Final Fantasy game...and reimagine it, except in FFXV's formula. A seamless Midgar with no loading screens, An FF8 garden battle setpiece in real time, FF9's opening sequence, FF10's pilgramage through Spira.

And XV was practically rushed out the door. I'm really excited for the coming content for XV, but my potential hopes for XVI have never been higher. We finally have a JRPG that approaches the scale of the western ones.

I can get behind some of this hype, apart from two things. It really wasn't rushed out, this is just Squares mid-life crisis that had them mishandling many projects :p Secondly while I'm happy for it to borrow some things from Western RPGs, I am a bit sick of mindless collecathons. Even TW3 one of my favorite games ever suffered from what I deem the Ubisoft approach. However its world and characters are that good you can put up with some of it. FF15 so far has been a bit like that for me. Some of these quests are so generic you would expect them from a low budget MMO. However I am quite enjoying the world, scenery and characters, so I can live with it, so far.

TW3 had a pretty crappy battle system, but its story and writing outside of some generic side quests was top notch. FF15 so far seems to have a pretty slim story, but its gameplay is pretty fun.

Chapter 9:

Holy shit, so
they really cut out a lot from what was shown in the E3 trailer a few years ago where Noctis is warping throughout the building and stuff and all the setpieces before fighting Leviathan.

I know a lot was cut since Nomura left, but I was really looking forward to that part. Major let down, especially since I heard so many people praising chapter 9. Instead we just a Super Sonic-like boss fight where you just mash circle.

People praised chapter 9?
Between the school lunch box sized Altissia and that wafer thin boss fight I'm not sure how it could be anything but disappointing.

Chapter 9:

Holy shit, so

Forget everything Nomura related.

Dimmle

People praised chapter 9?
Between the school lunch box sized Altissia and that wafer thin boss fight I'm not sure how it could be anything but disappointing.

Chapter 9 is my least favorite part of the game. Not due to
Altissia but the culmination of the plot there
. Chapter 13 is dull but at least it's not
trying to write an emotional check it can't cash
. I don't see how anyone who has existed outside of the 10 year media cycle for this game can have any feelings for
Luna as a character in FFXV

Mentok

Banned
Just did Rock of Ravatogh side dungeon....

That build up to the end with that giant area?
IpDAgCi.gif

yunbuns

Yes. People have different opinions.

I loved
the Levithan fight despite the wonky camera. I'm not really sure what else people were expecting for the fight?

Just did Rock of Ravatogh side dungeon....

That build up to the end with that giant area?
IpDAgCi.gif

I'm pretty sure you can fight that giant bird so see earlier in the game there eventually. Someone mentioned it in the other OT. I would assume that's what those bigs eggs there are hinting at.

Ishida

Banned
I loved
the Levithan fight despite the wonky camera. I'm not really sure what else people were expecting for the fight?

The fight was actually more than I expected.
The E3 2013 trailer showed a longer setpiece, but absolute zero fight against Leviathan itself.

ramyeon

Chapter 9 is my least favorite part of the game. Not due to
Altissia but the culmination of the plot there
. Chapter 13 is dull but at least it's not
trying to write an emotional check it can't cash
. I don't see how anyone who has existed outside of the 10 year media cycle for this game can have any feelings for
Luna as a character in FFXV
I didn't feel much for Luna but I felt really bad for Noct. Up until that point I had played him as really caring about Luna and wanting to see her in all of the dialogue choices. Having her taken away from him just as they finally are within reach of each other was pretty horrible. The CG scene with her saying goodbye to his child self and then his present self crying and reaching out to her was really well done.

I really enjoyed chapter 9.

What weapon types do you guys like? I haven't seen them all yet, but I'm currently loaded out with regular sword, great sword, pole arm, and daggers, though I don't like great swords much at all. I feel like it leaves you too vulnerable with its slow attacks that can't always be canceled into dodges. I actually feel similar about pole arms, but they seem to be at least a bit faster, and lots of things are weak against them right now.

yunbuns

The fight was actually more than I expected.
The E3 2013 trailer showed a longer setpiece, but absolute zero fight against Leviathan itself.

I remember that trailer from Versus but I didn't follow the game like most people did so I didn't have expectations to see certain set pieces I guess. Even if I had, it seemed pretty clear that a lot of that stuff wasn't going to be in XV. What we got was really cool to me and I wish we had gotten more stuff like it. *shrugs*

That's what i've been doing. Lurking around camping sites or cafe/hotel spots from 8/9pm until 4am when i set out again.
You can sprint right past most of the demons at night. Goblins, Bombs, and Iron Giants are even beatable. Red Giant not so much.

But you can use the opportunity to level Gladio's survival skill.

StereoVsn

That's what i've been doing. Lurking around camping sites or cafe/hotel spots from 8/9pm until 4am when i set out again.
Actually you can outrun pretty much all the night bad guys. Just make sure to do the constant stamina move and it's not too bad. You will get killed at some point but save often and it's generally quite a rare occasion.

HeelPower

*snip*

Do people forget FFXII did that already ?

It did that even better.There is a more complete and better developed world in FFXII.There are more towns,cities in XII than there are here.

FFXV obviously is backed by better streaming technology,hence the greater seamless areas ,but FFXII had the same goals in mind ,and it achieved that arguably more completely.

FFXII gets like no credit.

Dimmle

It did that even better.There is a more complete and better developed world in FFXII.There are more towns,cities in XII than there are here.

FFXV obviously is backed by better streaming technology,hence the greater seamless areas ,but FFXII had the same goals in mind ,and it achieved that arguably more completely.

also had diversity

Razmos

The game just froze when leaving Altissia. It's just a black screen with music playing. Awesome.

I better not have lost the rewards I got from the arena

Edit: finally loaded after about 5 minutes

You can sprint right past most of the demons at night. Goblins, Bombs, and Iron Giants are even beatable. Red Giant not so much.

But you can use the opportunity to level Gladio's survival skill.

Actually you can outrun pretty much all the night bad guys. Just make sure to do the constant stamina move and it's not too bad. You will get killed at some point but save often and it's generally quite a rare occasion.

Oh, i have been doing that more recently. I even fought a few bombs and had a go at an Iron Giant but fled when even more bombs turned up as i had a bunch of exp hoarded and hadn't saved for a while. Run away! :)

jorgeton

This game really delivers on content IMO. I've had it since a week before release and I'm still clocking in. Having fun trying to make the bros OP, and doing the sealed dungeons. I'm really enjoying the sealed dungeons despite the copy/paste design. I'm a sucker for loot and dungeon crawling, so this is delivering.

Also, Tonberries can all go die in a fire. Powerful little bastards.

AngryNeox

Neo Member
The magic and summons are partially why this doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me. It feels like an FF spinoff, which I suppose makes sense considering its lineage, but as a mainline FF it doesn't feel like it fits at all.
I don't understand why they didn't simply copy the 'working' stuff from Kingdom Hearts games.

Why do KH games have more magic and better magic systems than a main FF title? Not to mention all other systems like Drive/Link/Summons/Command Styles/Flowmotion which all work better than what the Arminger/"Summons"/Warp system do in this game as comparison. And some of them were even on handhelds!

vareon

Yeah, XII set the open world structure, though in a smaller scale than XV. I was hoping XIII would be a better, grander XII but yeah. It doesn't help that most of the towns is XV were the same gas station and diner.

I think the decision to have absolutely everything voiced hurts. Oftentimes I saw NPC in an unusual place, like a farm, hoping them to say something interesting about the place, but they're not saying anything.

ViciousDS

Banned
Why isn't bearded noctis and crew selectable after beating the game. I think noctis looks so much more badass in that opening scene and would rather have that skin

CLBridges

I've been slowly doing post game content, after waiting this long for this I've stopped myself from powering through everything and being done with the game. But, next grind on my list is fishing and then complete all hunts.

On another note I really enjoy reading all the reviews and thoughts on the game. There's always some new tidbit of information I see that makes me appreciate the game even more, flaws and all.

Tiamant

Completely agree. FFXII was a game ahead of its time and there will be a lot of interesting comparisons once FFXII HD is out.

Audioboxer

Dat moment when you get handed a quest but have already done it via exploring and just get to hand the quest item in without repeating it <3 Giant toad oil or something like that lol.

I do have to say dull Dave and his fucking dog tags is the worst fetch quest nonsense in this game so far. Go get your damn dog tags yourself Dave.

edit: LOL Wyvern wing up next and I already have it as well.

Top Bottom