• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Astral

I'm listening to the game's soundtrack and fuck it's so good. I wish we could unlock it for the mp3 player and Regalia. They said they were gonna let us replay chapters with a patch right? I'd love to replay some earlier battles for the soundtrack alone.

Valus

Finally moving on from chapter 3. Did all the available quests I think, including all hunts I can do. Got the ultima blade too.
40 hours
Level 52

Let's see what's next...

Ralemont

not me
Looking for the Frogs for Sania, annoying as f. but man the EXP.

For people having trouble with the frog quests: you guys know you can hear the frogs when you're close to them, yeah? You'll start hearing loud ribbits. Just wondering in case people were playing with the sound down or Noctis' MP3 player on or something.

JJShadow

Yay! Finally managed to get all the Royal Weapons and kill Adamantoise, it "only" took me around 40 minutes at level 87. I mainly used the greatsword you get from Randolph´s quest, ate the 100% critical chance Ignis' food and warp-strike once and over again, I managed to do 9999 damage with every warp-strike (Ignis' Enhancement is also quite helpful)

Now I´m only missing the Fishing and Survival trophies. For the Fishing one, I´ve read Vesperpool is a nice place to catch rare fish, but for the Survival one, any tip to max it out faster?

Yay! Finally managed to get all the Royal Weapons and kill Adamantoise, it "only" took me around 40 minutes at level 87. I mainly used the greatsword you get from Randolph´s quest, ate the 100% critical chance Ignis' food and warp-strike once and over again, I managed to do 9999 damage with every warp-strike (Ignis' Enhancement is also quite helpful)

Now I´m only missing the Fishing and Survival trophies. For the Fishing one, I´ve read Vesperpool is a nice place to catch rare fish, but for the Survival one, any tip to max it out faster?
Either you ruberband the controller or spend ya time walking around eos

Gbraga

I decided to delete the game last night instead of going after the Sealed Dungeons. I'm feeling pretty great about my 70 hours in getting the Platinum and feel those things might only start to make be bored of my experience.

Instead of writing a long review (tl;dr 9/10, mostly great execution and great ideas some of which have bad execution), I'll just focus on one comment I've seen a few times that irks me, which is that the open world is pointless and all the side content sucks.

Baloney. The dungeons alone make exploration worth it. Finding a new dungeon unannounced in this game is so much more satisfying than finding any camp/settlement/dungeon in a Bethesda/BioWare/TW3 game. That they feel so handcrafted and whole-assed with classic FF bosses, puzzles, and worthwhile loot (usually Royal Arms) at the end imbues the open world with a sense of discovery. It doesn't mean you roam around on foot everywhere hoping to stumble across something. Not every open world needs to be approached the same way. But it might mean you look at your map and say, "Hmmm, there's some space here with interesting geographical markers. I bet there's something there." And then you go and that red icon pops up and you think "A-ha!".

Secondly, the hunts. I feel there's too many, but there's also quite a few I legitimately enjoyed. I didn't think the travel was actually a problem, as I'd leave my car at the settlement and head out on choco then warp back after.

Thirdly, fishing. Yes this deserves its own category. The fishing minigame in this game is the best one I've ever played. It does the best job simulating an actual fish struggle and moreover it's actually hard. As much as I love Dark Cloud 2's fishing (the previous GOAT) it was only a matter of time before you reeled it in. FFXV's bigger monsters (especially the Liege and the Devil) had my palms sweaty as I fought with it over what felt like an hour but was actually only ~5 minutes. The bait system is properly implemented: diverse without being too specific and leading to a bunch of empty casts. As a reward you can either get items to sell/craft magic with, or good flesh to make tasty meals with (and the meals are another wholly fleshed out system that work very well in the game).

Fourth, even though there are a ton of repetitive and uninteresting side quests, the combat is so fun that it makes those quests more desirable to get through. As opposed to games with bad combat where you come upon another copy/paste "help this particular icon!" part in the world and decide to skip it because it's not unique content and will at best bore you, at worst frustrate you.

Not every open world is about discovering small well-told vignettes that you stumble upon in the wilderness, and Final Fantasy side content in particular has never been about that. Instead, FF optional content is gameplay-focused. New bosses, new weapons, new dungeons, etc. It was more than enough to keep me engaged during my time with it.

You are mistaken. What you did was offer facts and then assume the argument to arrive at the conclusion that they are flaws. Case in point: saying the second half of the game is on rails and that this is bad. Sorry, you need an actual argument to go along with that. Similarly, while it's true that the open world has invisible boundaries, they inhabit such a miniscule amount of your actual experience with the open world that this smells like looking for problems to me. You also mention that the trash side content is the actual meat of the game. Where's your evidence for this claim? What's the "meat" of a game? Is it a matter of time spent? Okay, then the meat of The Witcher 3 are the myriad storyless collection quests scattered around the world. That you can spend 70 hours doing unique content doesn't seem to matter under this definition since you can spend an extra 200 doing shit content. That doesn't make sense to me.

Great post, wish I saw it before writing mine, feels redundant now.

Completely agree with you here, and I'll also add that the fetch quests also work both as incentive to go out and explore new areas of the map and maybe finde more interesting thigs, or as just EXP/GIL reward for the exploration you'd do anyway. It gives a little thing to do here and there on your journey, instead of just walking straight to the point of interest you marked on your map.

But I imagine people who rush through the main quest and then go chasing icons in the post game won't have the same experience.

I never once fast travelled in this game, and traversing the world and exploring it has been a joy. My favorite aspect of the game, supported by the combat that I love. There's not really much of a need for a little story to tell me why I'm killing this monster. I'm doing it because the combat is fun, because exploring is fun, becaue the gameplay loop of traversal->camping/preparation->combat is fun. And I'll also get some more unique dialogue here and there that further fleshes out the world and main characters. LIL DUDE from that one store in Lestallum might not be a developed character with real issues he tells me, but on the other hand, finding out about the mythology and current organization of Eos is far more interesting than random NPC sad stories would ever be, to me.

Why everyone hate the catching frog quests?

I found it enjoyable, and also I see in it one of the many things that connects with previous FF... Quina loves for frogs... :p

Also these were super easy and not annoying at all...

My opinion is that I don't particularly like them, but I do find it refreshing that I have to actually listen to their sounds and look for them, instead of just going to an area and activating detective mode. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up patching PRINCE SENSES, though, since people complain about it so much.

New DLC info is out,sounds pretty good....really tempted to get the Season Pass...

Might be spoilery if you are on blackout lol...

http://www.gamezone.com/news/final-fantasy-15-first-dlc-will-bring-back-classic-villain-3446434

Can't wait, I really hope they add an option to play it during the campaign as well, instead of just selecting from the menu. Would be a nice addition to a NG+ playthrough.

Ruff

Thanks! I just unlocked the Level 85 fight from Randolph but haven't tried it yet - am I close?

The one for the crossblades is a level 120 boss called
Naglfar
. Sounds way too high for your level but take some magic and just spam Ignis' Overwhelm while you have the royal crossbow in your hand and you should be able to get through it without much trubs if you keep your distance and don't eat his lazer. I beat it at 70 quite easily.

Your bros will probably eat the dirt a lot though :p

Gbraga

But this is an example of the open world taking away from the series rather than adding it. I'm not going to argue with you that some of the dungeons aren't cool. They are, but why are they hiding off in some fucking corner and probably level 45+? Why did they spend their time hiding good content? In previous FF games that would have been hooked into the story or had some connecting tissue. Here it's poorly written if it even is there. Meanwhile the actual main story is direly lacking in that sort of direction and "whole-assed" handcrafted dungeons. Seriously why in shit's name is
the place with Shiva just one screen when they had the time to make a 5 hour fucking platforming dungeon.
It's beyond ridiculous and the game should be rightly ridiculed for mismanagement of resources, if anything.

Why is the Painted World hidden and optional? Ash Lake? Cainhurst Castle? Hypogean Gaol?

Making great content hidden and optional increases the sense of reward when discovering it, as well as making exploration seem worthy and rewarding. instead of just icon chasing, you need to actually explore (or look it up online, I suppose) in order to find actual meaningful and handcrafted content.

The open world would actually be pointless if they didn't hide these things.

I know my opinion isn't gospel, obviously, but I found the combat to be the worst of any Final Fantasy by a wide margin. It would be acceptable as a spinoff title, but even then it's missing some crucial things that in 2016 shouldn't be missing. I can't control any of my party members outside of one goddamned skill? WTF? We had Gambits back with XII. The fact that bushes and the camera in general can fuck you up is just unacceptable. The battle system is a chaotic mess and that's putting it lightly.

Yes Final Fantasy side content has been gameplay focused and that's fine, but Final Fantasy side content has largely been just that... side content. Here it's practically the main content.

This just reads as "this is the worst battle system because it's not exactly as I want". The fact that you think it would be fine as a spin-off is the biggest tell. Final Fantasy has always been incredibly experimental for a AAA series, and I love it about that. XII, XIII and XV completely surprised me with their battle systems, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for XVI. My only expectations for XVI are "I hope they surprise me". I don't get why people feel so strongly about Final Fantasy being a certain specific thing when that's never what it was about. It's what Tabata calls "Final Fantasy Disease"

Completely agree about the camera. It's incredible how no one on the team thought "hey, maybe we should make bushes invisible when they're sitting between Noctis and the camera".

painey

as far as my memory goes, this is the first game all year I have played post-game content of.. which is pretty cool. I wish more games had meaningful after story stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
Why is the Painted World hidden and optional? Ash Lake? Cainhurst Castle? Hypogean Gaol?

Making great content hidden and optional increases the sense of reward when discovering it, as well as making exploration seem worthy and rewarding. instead of just icon chasing, you need to actually explore (or look it up online, I suppose) in order to find actual meaningful and handcrafted content.

The open world would actually be pointless if they didn't hide these things.

That logic is only sound when your basic game is solid. They have a ton of optional content that is more infinitely more interesting than what most players will actually play.

Jeffrey

Are there indepth combat guides out there?

Like I feel like there are ways to manually chose different O attack's from directional input, but it seems inconsistent?

So I'm guessing the character story DLC will be something like (spoilers through chapter 12)

Gladiolus Chapter:
Obviously how he got his new scar during that chapter.
Ignis Chapter:
Exact events that went down in Altissia to make him go blind.
Prompto Chapter:
What happened when he was pushed from the train.

It's all I can think of.

So how exactly are summons supposse to work? I'm getting the prompt for them and pressing L2 and nothing happens?

1) keep L2 pressed for 5/10 seconds
2) you can try waiting for chapter 8 because (minor spoiler)
Cid will actually move to another area for that chapter. And I finally got my upgraded weapon there, so maybe this can fix your glitch

So I'm guessing the character story DLC will be something like (spoilers through chapter 12)

Gladiolus Chapter:
Ignis Chapter:
Prompto Chapter:

It's all I can think of.

That sounds about right.

Lol thanks, but it's definitly glitched. I've played for over a dozen hours, doing main missions, quests, camping etc... and he still never updated it.

Do you have the weapon equipped in your party? I've heard he gives the quest regardless but doesn't take the weapon if it's equipped. Some have reported it's definitely glitched though so it may be busted if the weapon isn't equipped or in your inventory.

Gladiolus Chapter:
Ignis Chapter:
Prompto Chapter:

It's all I can think of.
Gladiolus DLC
was actually confirmed by the guide to be the one you mentioned lol
Yeah, I agree for Ignis and Prompto

LiK

Oh shit, glad I asked. I would've just left thinking a later quest would've brought me back. Does the game ever tell you this or is it just suppose to be something you stumble upon?

The bros give you hints at the entrance about a method of entering, iirc. And no later quest brings you there from what i know other than the one from
Dino

Gbraga

That logic is only sound when your basic game is solid. They have a ton of optional content that is more infinitely more interesting than what most players will actually play.

I don't think there's an issue with having to do more than just the bare minimum required for a more enjoyable experience. I do get what you're saying, and I mostly agree, but I don't think this is a case of "well, since the main quest isn't good enough, remove all of this and make it mandatory instead". Hell no, why? If people miss it, that's too bad, let them miss it.

Not to mention, the way this game is structured, just the overarching theme begs you to explore and take your time with the game. With cooking, fishing, and photography being character skills that you get to upgrade slightly every time you rest, as well as look at Prompto's record this day's activities, I feel like people just rushing through the main quest are robbing them from the FFXV experience anyway, even if the main quest content was a lot better.

It would actually detract from the core experience if they just decided "we need more main content, no dungeons are optional anymore". People who just embrace the roadtrip and the exploration would find absolutely nothing but maybe locked doors that they'll explore later in the campaign.

In my opinion, these two types of content go in parallel, and neither should be compromised for the other. If one of them is underwhelming, that's too bad, but it doesn't in any way imply that the other is taking away from it.

And I bet "most players" only finish a character action game once and move on. How would I feel if they just took that and stopped doing all of the post game content they do, which is enough to say that the first playthrough is nothing but an introduction to the game? Imagine if DMC5 didn't remix enemy waves on higher difficulties because most people would never experience it anyway.

Fuck most people, I really enjoy their vision for the open world, and I'm glad they went with it.

EDIT: And since I used Bloodborne as an example, the game has what, 8 required bosses? Out of 17 from the main game, plus chalice bosses, and later DLC. And some of the best content is definitely optional. From the mandatory bosses, I think Father Gascoigne is the best one.

Are there indepth combat guides out there?

Like I feel like there are ways to manually chose different O attack's from directional input, but it seems inconsistent?

There's the initial, stronger hit, and then Noctis will do a samey looking combo as you hold O. It's during this second part that you use pause and directional inputs. It's probably feeling inconsistent because you're trying to use the modifiers with the first Crush attack, and that one will only depend on weapon equipped and distance to the target.

The bros give you hints at the entrance about a method of entering, iirc. And no later quest brings you there from what i know other than the one from
Dino

Lol Well I'm still not too far in Dino quest line. And I think I'm too underleveled for this dungeon anyways. The first group of mobs were level 35 and I'm only 34. Which is fine, but after the huge gap in levels with the boss/mobs in the
Beleuve mines
I don't want to take any chances lol.

Edit: recommended level 55. Lol yeah fuck that haha.

LiK

Lol Well I'm still not too far in Dino quest line. And I think I'm too underleveled for this dungeon anyways. The first group of mobs were level 35 and I'm only 34. Which is fine, but after the huge gap in levels with the boss/mobs in the
Beleuve mines

Yea, don't do them until you're higher level. They're kinda brutal.

Lynx_7

I personally don't mind much that the optional dungeons are optional instead of being integrated into the main story. This is obviously subjective, but the main campaign already offers me enough incentive to press onwards since it's where the narrative draw and setpieces are located. Meanwhile, the main draw of the optional content has been far and away discovering all these new, interesting locations that rewards me with one of the Royal Arms at the end of it. I feel rewarded for exploring the world. Besides, they have more freedom in making these dungeons actually challenging since you're not forced to beat them. I can't imagine something like the Costlemark Tower as main game content without severely castrating it.
I would've liked to see more places like that in the main story too, but I can't complain about having actual quality side-content like this.

Gbraga

Beleuve mines

Edit: recommended level 55. Lol yeah fuck that haha.

There's a really sweet little dungeon with level 28 as the recommended level. First enemy you fight is level 40.

Thanks Tabata.

Wagram

Finally going to tackle Costlemark. Been waiting a long time.

I have yet to see Titan appear as a summon option. All I ever get is Ramuh.

Finished the game last night, loved it, even teared up at the ending.
After finishing chapter 13 I was like "Wait, that's what people thought was the worst thing ever?"
I actually enjoyed chapter 13....

That's good to hear. I stopped on that chapter last night. Kinda been dreading it.

I still don't know if I like summons or not, but damn if they're not a sight to behold. Just fast travelled back to my car at night and got greeted by 3 daemons almost got game over than Ramuh came and saved the day.

There's a really sweet little dungeon with level 28 as the recommended level. First enemy you fight is level 40.

Thanks Tabata.

Lol

The post game and optional content blows the main content out of the water, sadly. FFXV offers god tier gameplay outside of what most people will get to see and judge the game on. Sadly, none of the stuff is trophy related.

Astral

Some of the dungeon banter is so great.

Prompto: "You sure you know where we're going?"

Noctis: "I am absolutely 50% certain!"

Septimius

I'm close to the end of chapter 13. I'm wondering if I should Umbra to quests or just keep going and then do side content afterwards

LiK

The post game and optional content blows the main content out of the water, sadly. FFXV offers god tier gameplay outside of what most people will get to see and judge the game on. Sadly, none of the stuff is trophy related.

Well, the
Turtle hunt and collecting all the Royal Arms
gives you trophies. Secret dungeons should have a trophy at least for how hard they are.

Top Bottom