• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Do dungeons not count towards the time it takes for Cid to fucking finish customizing shit. I've been bracing for power for hours now.

Haha "Brace yourselves for Power!"

Another question about the time frame
from the time you hit the road in the beginning to Ch. 10 we are led to believe 12 years have passed??! What the hell I didn't know riding chocobos would cause such a time lapse.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So are all the sealed dungeons just
repetitive floors of enemies until youy reach a boss
? Or is that just the first one (Keycratich Trench)?

I continue to be underwhelmed by the post game I guess. Just killing time with it until the mail shows up with TLG. :D Did that dungeon and some experience farming. Up to level 87 (with others at 85) around 67 hours played.

This photo Prompto took of my journey is hilarious.

I have no idea how he captured this.

Czn1iCiUsAAbjVY.jpg

This is "Oasis album cover" levels of random lol

Undubbed

After clocking a solid 70 hours in this game, I think I am now done. Honestly did not expect to like it very much, honestly expected to dislike it. But man that was a lot of fun. I very rarely put that many hours into a single player game.

I really liked the combat. Sure, it had its downsides and the camera really needs work, but overall I enjoyed it. Are there any other games that have active combat in the same sense as XV that isn't a souls game? Hard to go back to other games now!

Dragon Age Inquisition has the whole hold button to attack thing going on at the very least. Only other game I can think of atm.

Adaren

Haha "Brace yourselves for Power!"

Another question about the time frame
from the time you hit the road in the beginning to Ch. 10 we are led to believe 12 years have passed??! What the hell I didn't know riding chocobos would cause such a time lapse.

Nah, it's only been a few months / weeks. It's been 12 years (or about that long; don't remember the exact number) since Luna and Noctis met as children.

I'm not sure why they've never met since then, but whatever.

Wagram

Crestholm Channels
is damn good dungeon design. I have zero idea where I am and there's a surprise around every corner.

Adaren

Crestholm Channels
is damn good dungeon design. I have zero idea where I am and there's a surprise around every corner.

Agreed. I haven't done the post-game dungeons (not sure if I will), but that was the only side-dungeon I stumbled upon that I actually liked.

I found the dungeons in the early chapters of the main storyline to be linear and forgettable, but that ^ one was fun.

DNAbro

Near the overlook at Lestallum there should be a lady at a table minding her own business and eating a rice bowl. Invade her privacy and let Ignis gawk over her food. Prompto will say something awful about there being a party in his tummy-- you'll want to hit him but instead proceed to a campground where you can now cook the dish for yourself.

thanks

Valonquar

Jacket on:
Noct: IT'S TOO HOT
Gladio: TAKE IT OFF BAE
Jacket off:
Noct: IT'S TOO COLD
Ignis: YOU GON CATCH A COLD N DIE.

They reeeealy need to add something to the script where the NPCs are restricted from repeating banter lines more than once every 3 hours, or EVER. I'd really rather have complete silence if they are just going to repeat this shit every 2 minutes.

Woooo! I finally can move on from Chapter 3 after around 40hrs haha Last night I knocked out every single side quest you can possibly do at that point in the game (not counting stranded people who need potions/repair kit and some hunts). Manged to snag the Ultima Blade too. I'm guessing that can't truly be the ultimate weapon in the game if you can get it this early. It's nice right now though. Also, some of you beat the game in the 40's? Hit level 50 before leaving Chapter 3. I've been waiting 10 years for this game so I'm savoring every drop. Crazy some people just rushed right through it (not that I expect people to do every damn quest like I do ;p). Don't want to get into a review at the moment but I'm absolutely loving the game :D Clearly going to be my GOTY although this was the weakest year in gaming for me since I can remember so I guess that doesn't mean much in and of itself haha

So is doing the The Last Spiracorns again and again and hope for a sturdy helixhorn to drop the best way to get one?
I did this last night, here's a tip: Kill everything but one of the large horses and then run outside of the aggro circle until you can save. Then go back to the last horse and target the head and do warp strikes or air walking combos that are strong enough to break the horn. You get the drop from breaking the horn, not for killing the horse so you'll know if it dropped right after you completely break the horn. You'll know when you can't break it any further when the game no longer lets you target the head. If that happens and you didn't see the sturdy horn drop, reload your save. If you happen to do this around night time, when you reload your save the horse might be glitched out even though the marker is still there and the music playing (happened to me) just use the nearby camp to make it day time again and the horse will be there. I personally used the Sword of the Wise to break the horn as it heard it worked fairly well though it doesn't matter so long as you break it. Good luck!

Also another pro-tip: For the final Takka quest after I killed who knows how many
Catablepas: when it's nearly dead, cast a fire spell to finish it off. The game actually wants you to cook the meat to make it brisket which is kind of clever though drove me nuts for a while when it wouldn't drop haha

LordKasual

Banned
Unfortunately I gave up before then lol, it felt like
her death caused a rift and drove the guy with the broken leg down the wrong path. It's just a bit irritating
particularly when we see (game spoiler)
what happens to Luna
. They pulled that crap twice.

Spoilers for Kingsglaive and XV below:

I don't see a point in reading too heavily into it. Every time this happens in the context of FFXV, if the character were male, nothing would really change. I don't really know why some people here condemn Crowe and Luna as bad emotional sacrifices when Regis and Ravus (and Jared) were used in the exact same way. If Crowe and Libertus' roles were swapped, oh my god, people would have complained much, much, much harder about it.

I think FFXV did pretty good by female representation. The game has more female guest members than males join the party, and the two biggest cities in the game are run by women.

Gbraga

Game needs a Waypoint off/on option for sure.

I know it turns off when the HUD is off, but then that gets rid of the HP bars and I can't fight like that. So the best I can do is merely get rid of the corner map. Either that or get really good at fighting enemies with no HUD or damage numbers...

Agreed, I wish it was an option :C

It doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I'd still like to disable it. It's better than the minimap, imo, but meh.

ch4fx_

I'm not sure if me being new to the Final Fantasy series influenced my opinion on FFXV or not, but I can't get enough of this game. I was a bit skeptical during the tutorial, all this was new to me & it seemed overwhelming-ish, but as soon as I got out of the car at the first settlement (are they called settlements? I can't remember!) I fell in love. I fell in love with everything, the little town, the CHARM, the music, the scenery... blah blah blah, you get it.

I'm a little over 20 hours in & most of that time has been spent riding around on a Choboco because they're fucking adorable, or doing side missions -- mainly hunts. I'm in Chapter 3 & at level 28(ish), really looking forward to finding out what else the game has to offer & the series, for that matter.

What should I spend AP on? I don't want to waste it, so I've just been building it up. Excuse my piss poor terminology... But I've unlocked the the perk for Ignis to heal everyone. I've unlocked perks that give me AP for long car/Chocobo rides, fishing, & camping. I've also invested some points into the combat category, I believe the phase/blink nodes.

Randomly got ultima blade. Never even tried to get it on purpose. Lol take it this is the best weapon. I'm on chapter 8 lol

Considering I just got it on Chapter 3 I have my doubts haha but it's good. Plus I know there's some dagger that you can use to kill the Adamantoise in 10 minutes with the right setup so I'm all the more going to assume no.

Trojan

No there isn't. You can easily farm AP later (300 per 30 mins for me) so don't overthink it and pick what you enjoy. I think the combat perks are among the most useful along with increasing the number of accessories you can carry. Also Ignis' regroup skill helps.

What are you doing to get AP that quickly?

Gbraga

How do you guys discover dungeons? Just driving around or do some sidequests lead you to some like Cindy's?

Both, yeah.

Driving, noticing something curious and investigating, following paths, checking noticeably different structures on the map when I'm looking at it to check on my objective. Things like that.

I'm on my way to do some hunt or fetch quest, open the map to check it, and I notice that I'm close to some building/curious shaped thing I didn't visit yet, so I put a custom marker and go on a short tangent to check it out.

I'm not sure if me being new to the Final Fantasy series influenced my opinion on FFXV or not, but I can't get enough of this game. I was a bit skeptical during the tutorial, all this was new to me & it seemed overwhelming-ish, but as soon as I got out of the car at the first settlement (are they called settlements? I can't remember!) I fell in love. I fell in love with everything, the little town, the CHARM, the music, the scenery... blah blah blah, you get it.

I'm a little over 20 hours in & most of that time has been spent riding around on a Choboco because they're fucking adorable, or doing side missions -- mainly hunts. I'm in Chapter 3 & at level 28(ish), really looking forward to finding out what else the game has to offer & the series, for that matter.

What should I spend AP on? I don't want to waste it, so I've just been building it up. Excuse my piss poor terminology... But I've unlocked the the perk for Ignis to heal everyone. I've unlocked perks that give me AP for long car/Chocobo rides, fishing, & camping. I've also invested some points into the combat category, I believe the phase/blink nodes.

You have all of the fundamental ones, I think. Just get whatever sounds fun to you.

Gbraga

Any news on the pro patch?

Not yet, unfortunately. I'm assuming the Pro features and NG+ will all be part of the Holiday Patch. Assuming they don't delay it. With the poor reception of Chapter 13 making fixing it a short term goal in their update path, it makes sense that a Pro update would be delayed for that.

Lynx_7

Welcome and enjoy the ride, it's a great game and a great franchise, though it has its fair share of.... uh, divisive games, let's put it like that.

The exploration nodes that give you more AP for doing stuff are generally worth investing, I think. The ones that improve the potency of your magic are also worth it. Some people will also abide by having infinite airstrides. Ignis has a few good techniques like Regroup and Overhwelm that you should also invest in.
Something you should know earlier rather than later is that, when making magic (ELEMANCY part of the menu), you can mix elements together to make stronger spells and you can also mix in ingredients, items or treasures to improve them even more. It took me longer than it should've for me to notice these features.

Astral

The Regalia Type F kinda sucks. It goes apeshit around Lestallum and landing always fucks up your windshield. It's also ugly.

RDreamer

Yeah, when the song kicked in it was so awesome.

Song was nice and there was a good opening buried there but I felt like the what the hell just happened and utter failure that was Chapter 0 kind of threw everything out the window. Felt like Tabata saw a good movie once with a bookended beginning and thought he'd try without any knowledge whatsoever on how it works. It was a confusing narrative mess with no investment.

I also didn't like that there were almost no story hooks to speak of for quite a while into the game. I'm enjoying my time well enough now but for the first few hours I was pining for FFXIII.

mcz117chief

I thought the opening was really nice.

yeah, they made something so mundane like pushing a car one of the most memorable gaming experiences I had in years, literally perfect moment.

Song was nice and there was a good opening buried there but I felt like the what the hell just happened and utter failure that was Chapter 0 kind of threw everything out the window. Felt like Tabata saw a good movie once with a bookended beginning and thought he'd try without any knowledge whatsoever on how it works. It was a confusing narrative mess with no investment.

I also didn't like that there were almost no story hooks to speak of for quite a while into the game. I'm enjoying my time well enough now but for the first few hours I was pining for FFXIII.

What is chapter 0? It told me Chapter 1 when I started.

I enjoyed the opening and loved how it perfectly showcased the personality for the main characters. Prompto lying dead on road was hilarious.

We are talking about Chapter 0? It was so random that I have no idea what to say. I don't hate it but don't like it either.

Also another pro-tip: For the final Takka quest after I killed who knows how many
Catablepas: when it's nearly dead, cast a fire spell to finish it off. The game actually wants you to cook the meat to make it brisket which is kind of clever though drove me nuts for a while when it wouldn't drop haha

Sonnava...... This would have been great to know!

King_Moc

Banned

Thought it was really good. It just concentrated on the main theme of the game, and did that very well.

I enjoyed the opening and loved how it perfectly showcased the personality for the main characters. Prompto lying dead on road was hilarious.

We are talking about Chapter 0? It was so random that I have no idea what to say. I don't hate it but don't like it either.

Who? Oh you mean #bestboy, yes hes great.

Mcdohl

For real, though, this game does have a great opening because I was playing ten minutes into it.

And I think that was the point.

I still would've preferred an Escape from Insomnia type of intro. Not to mention, that would've been the perfect excuse to slowly teach you how to play:

Throw a few Nifelheim soldiers, slowly increasing numbers and difficulty on groups you encounter.

Force you to use magic to make something explode or something.

Warp Strike somewhere to save yo ass.

Plus, epic setpiece to set the stage.

etc etc etc

Also, ch0 is kind of confusing, and it all happens to suddenly and with no context. Reminded me of El Shaddai's intro.

Anyways, the intro we got it's not bad either, and imo some people are hyperbolic about it. It's just not that remarkable.

omg, if this game doesn't have the best beginning then I don't know which one does. It was so awesome :)

I certainly didn't understand the hate for how it opened... But really, it was a perfect way to introduce the characters and their personalities... then it mostly just gets the hell out of it's own way and lets the game begin. It's actually pretty brilliant.

alternade

Im still in chapter 1, just got to Golden Quay and the scope of this game is blowing my mind. I opted to walk the 1.5 miles and have never played a game so expansive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The third bug in a couple of hours that has caused me to lose progress by resetting. Twice I've gotten stuck in the environment and unable to move. Once it was supposed to trigger a summon and it never did after 10 minutes of holding the button.

Time for a break.

Mediking

The real charming moments are when you see the crew smiling and having a good time right after you select to rest. I really smiled seeing the guys and Iris just talk and laugh in Lestallum hotel.

I also love seeing them at a place to eat. Noctis is in his suit and he's just talking and having a good time with his friends .

Those are moments I really like.

mcz117chief

"Chapter 0" is the 10 seconds bit with the fire and old Noctis at the very beginning of the intro. It feels out of place but isn't a big deal imo.

As satisfied as I am with the product we got, I'd be lying if I said I'm still not a little bitter we didn't get this. I wanted to escape, damnit.

Oh yeah, that. That was also really nice. Gave you a taste of things to come, I like that :)

Also, my first photo I saved :)

ch4fx_

Welcome and enjoy the ride, it's a great game and a great franchise, though it has its fair share of.... uh, divisive games, let's put it like that.

The exploration nodes that give you more AP for doing stuff are generally worth investing, I think. The ones that improve the potency of your magic are also worth it. Some people will also abide by having infinite airstrides. Ignis has a few good techniques like Regroup and Overhwelm that you should also invest in.
Something you should know earlier rather than later is that, when making magic (ELEMANCY part of the menu), you can mix elements together to make stronger spells and you can also mix in ingredients, items or treasures to improve them even more. It took me longer than it should've for me to notice these features.

Thanks for the heads up regarding magic/spells. I was having a world of trouble with
Deadeye
before I finally noticed the "ELEMANCY" tab staring at me in the menu. GAME CHANGER, for that encounter at least.

Regarding my spells, how do I know how potent to make them? For simplicity sake, I've been making mine 33, but I'm sure there's a rhyme or reason to it that I'm not aware of.

Jennipeg

Spoilers for Kingsglaive and XV below:

I don't see a point in reading too heavily into it. Every time this happens in the context of FFXV, if the character were male, nothing would really change. I don't really know why some people here condemn Crowe and Luna as bad emotional sacrifices when Regis and Ravus (and Jared) were used in the exact same way. If Crowe and Libertus' roles were swapped, oh my god, people would have complained much, much, much harder about it.

I think FFXV did pretty good by female representation. The game has more female guest members than males join the party, and the two biggest cities in the game are run by women.

Spoilers if you haven't reached chapter 10.

I think it's a bit more irksome with Luna in particular, because she is supposedly a main character, second only to the 4 party members. Yet she has no character, everything that comes out of her mouth is about Noctis or her duty. She has no development at all, she only exists to give Noctis the ring and to help develop Noctis' character. The other sacrificed characters aren't main characters. If Luna were a man, I would still find that character rubbish to be honest, the fact that she is a woman is the cherry on top of a whole heap of issues.

In general I think the whole character death as an inspiration/plot device is a bit overdone in this game. It happens in previous games but not to this extent.

Top Bottom