• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Oni3298

God damnit, please patch this Daurell Caverns bug, I can't get the iron giant to spawn after having had it spawn once and leaving the dungeon without beating it. Now on subsequent re-entry of the dungeon, the fucker doesn't appear and I'm stuck unable to finish the quest tied to the dungeon or access the room on the ledge with the retracted ladder. Its the last
sealed door
I need to get the
sealed dungeon key from the old granny...

The post game and optional content blows the main content out of the water, sadly. FFXV offers god tier gameplay outside of what most people will get to see and judge the game on. Sadly, none of the stuff is trophy related.
I really wanted a trophy per completing the
Pitioss
dungeon, even if I already had the platinum :/

Windtrick

Some of the dungeon banter is so great.

Prompto: "You sure you know where we're going?"

Noctis: "I am absolutely 50% certain!"

Right? I think my favorite is when they go,

Prompto: "Are we lost?"

Noctis: "Don't ask."

Gladios: "We're lost."

Noctis: "Don't answer!"

Or something along those lines.

Ralemont

not me
Some of the dungeon banter is so great.

Prompto: "You sure you know where we're going?"

Noctis: "I am absolutely 50% certain!"

I got turned around in the ice dungeon and the game recognized it:

Ignis: Noct, if I may...
Noctis: Don't say it.
Gladio: You're lost, aren't you?
Noctis: I'm taking my time.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think there's an issue with having to do more than just the bare minimum required for a more enjoyable experience. I do get what you're saying, and I mostly agree, but I don't think this is a case of "well, since the main quest isn't good enough, remove all of this and make it mandatory instead". Hell no, why? If people miss it, that's too bad, let them miss it.

Not to mention, the way this game is structured, just the overarching theme begs you to explore and take your time with the game. With cooking, fishing, and photography being character skills that you get to upgrade slightly every time you rest, as well as look at Prompto's record this day's activities, I feel like people just rushing through the main quest are robbing them from the FFXV experience anyway, even if the main quest content was a lot better.

It would actually detract from the core experience if they just decided "we need more main content, no dungeons are optional anymore". People who just embrace the roadtrip and the exploration would find absolutely nothing but maybe locked doors that they'll explore later in the campaign.

I think you went a little too far saying "no optional dungeons." But some of those dungeons should have been better integrated.

Why do you believe people are "rushing through" the main story? It's not very long to begin with if you follow it, so how is it a player's fault if they do the story and felt it lacking? They aren't "robbing themselves." The game was designed that way. The quest is big, bright red text and tells you to follow it. What if endless, uninspired fetch quests and hunts aren't really something a person wants to do because they find them not very good? You mention cooking, fishing and photography skills to level. Do any of these truly matter? They are simply tacked on things. Bars to level. Is there an ultimate weapon uncovered by Prompto's pictures? Secrets? Anything?

You mention the game's theme. What is it? A Road Trip? Well, the game really betrays that. The story of the game is NOT a road trip story. It's a story of The Chosen One who must gain the power to save the world. That doesn't really jive with "Road Trip." So, can you blame players for being a little conflicted when the game tells you two things that directly oppose the other?

Sorry if this feels like I'm attacking you. It's more like my own thoughts while playing through mixing in. Everything in the game is undercooked. Every single aspect I have played so far. Yeah, I'm having fun with it, but I have fun with every Final Fantasy. I'll grind through to 100% because I do it with all of them. However, so far, I wouldn't really call this a good game yet. The main cast is the bright spot, but the western type open world is at its worst here and the story is...well, something.

Do you guys have any tips for getting the most out of the battle system? I feel like battles are just coming and going without much strategy on my part. I still seem to get mostly As on all my battle report cards but I don't feel like I am doing much other than holding the attack button.

And when I do encounter the odd fight where my party seems to be in trouble...I can't really put my finger on what I am doing wrong that put me in this position to begin with. I am conscious of the enemies level and dodge/parry when I am prompted.

I just have that feeling that I am not playing the game properly and it's sort of nagging at my enjoyment of it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
21 hours - Level 27 just started Chapter 3.. If there's a wrong way to play a game this is it. Burned myself on sidequests.

J4g3r

I get excited at the thought of them fixing the frame-pacing issues with the high setting on PS4 Pro too, but this is just a little TOO excited...

PfVSa4N.png

That's a phishing link I blurred out.

RDreamer

This just reads as "this is the worst battle system because it's not exactly as I want". The fact that you think it would be fine as a spin-off is the biggest tell. Final Fantasy has always been incredibly experimental for a AAA series, and I love it about that. XII, XIII and XV completely surprised me with their battle systems, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for XVI. My only expectations for XVI are "I hope they surprise me". I don't get why people feel so strongly about Final Fantasy being a certain specific thing when that's never what it was about. It's what Tabata calls "Final Fantasy Disease"

Completely agree about the camera. It's incredible how no one on the team thought "hey, maybe we should make bushes invisible when they're sitting between Noctis and the camera".

I guess I need to further clarify that.

I didn't mean I would magically like it more than I do now if it were a spinoff. I actually meant it would be easier to forgive massive shortcomings if the budget were cut much like a spinoff. I don't think it's crazy to say something like FFXIII-2 or Lightning Returns had a drastically lower budget. So there are some things that will get skipped. This being a full budgeted AAA part of the series does mean that these skipped things raise some really big concerns. The camera is awful. The targeting system is shit. There are no options to use control any of what 3 out of 4 of my team is doing at any given time. It's a chaotic fucking mess. It's not just bad for a Final Fantasy, it's bad for any non-Bethesda RPG system.

Obviously in a long running series there are some expectations and comparisons going in. One of the reasons I love Final Fantasy is because of those experimentations so don't try and paint me as someone that is heavily against that. I'm not. I want them to experiment. I loved FFXII's battle system and I fucking loved XIII's. I loved X's and I loved IX's. I loved them all. In this case, though, it doesn't feel fresh, new, or unique like something like XIII or any of its spinoffs did to me. It feels stale and bad. It feels like they aped some other action RPGs and threw in a few twists, didn't balance anything and called it a day.

My biggest complaint, though, is that there's no real control over my party members. That's part of my big complaint because it is literally the reason that I've been playing Final Fantasy games all these years and not Tales. It's the reason I didn't like the Star Ocean games as much. The thing is that even those games had vastly more control over your party members. This is plain unacceptable to me as a Final Fantasy game.

You may be going into FFXVI saying "I hope they surprise me," but I'm just thinking "I hope they surprise me by making a fully thought out, complete game... finally."

OrionX

I got turned around in the ice dungeon and the game recognized it:

Ignis: Noct, if I may...
Noctis: Don't say it.
Gladio: You're lost, aren't you?
Noctis: I'm taking my time.

I loved the part in Chapter 13 where
after you've reunited with the guys, at one point if you go into a random side room before continuing on, Ardyn comments, "I knew you would go that way. Such a tease!"
XD

Why is the Painted World hidden and optional? Ash Lake? Cainhurst Castle? Hypogean Gaol?

Making great content hidden and optional increases the sense of reward when discovering it, as well as making exploration seem worthy and rewarding. instead of just icon chasing, you need to actually explore (or look it up online, I suppose) in order to find actual meaningful and handcrafted content.

The open world would actually be pointless if they didn't hide these things.

This just reads as "this is the worst battle system because it's not exactly as I want". The fact that you think it would be fine as a spin-off is the biggest tell. Final Fantasy has always been incredibly experimental for a AAA series, and I love it about that. XII, XIII and XV completely surprised me with their battle systems, and I can't wait to see what they come up with for XVI. My only expectations for XVI are "I hope they surprise me". I don't get why people feel so strongly about Final Fantasy being a certain specific thing when that's never what it was about. It's what Tabata calls "Final Fantasy Disease"

Completely agree about the camera. It's incredible how no one on the team thought "hey, maybe we should make bushes invisible when they're sitting between Noctis and the camera".

Agreed with all of is in spades, especially the bolded.

Right? I think my favorite is when they go,

Prompto: "Are we lost?"

Noctis: "Don't ask."

Gladios: "We're lost."

Noctis: "Don't answer!"

Or something along those lines.

There's a really good one with prompto about "breaking the seal" when you first go into the keykatrich sealed dungeon

RDreamer

It would actually detract from the core experience if they just decided "we need more main content, no dungeons are optional anymore". People who just embrace the roadtrip and the exploration would find absolutely nothing but maybe locked doors that they'll explore later in the campaign.

People now who just embrace the road trip and exploration just find maybe some dungeons that they'll explore post-game. How is that a better answer?

Ishida

Banned
Whenever I summon Leviathan in any other FF game, the
"The Hydrean's Wrath" theme will play inside my head. Such an amazing track.

Undubbed

I beat the game a few days ago and I'm very embarrassed to say that there's a mechanic that keeps popping up that I still to this day have no idea how it works.

It's the O button prompt that pops up when, I think, an enemy grabs you and an arrow mark vibrating up and down upon the O button prompt and a circle bar around the O button fills up as the enemy is beating the crap out of you. That one.

What's with this thing? I can never tell if I did it right? If I press nothing then the enemy does full damage, I guess. But if I hold the button then the enemy still does damage to me? So, then I'm supposed to tap the O button repeatedly(Like I originally thought), but that doesn't seem like that's it?

I never knew what I was doing with that mechanic.

Ishida

Banned
I beat the game a few days ago and I'm very embarrassed to say that there's a mechanic that keeps popping up that I still to this day have no idea how it works.

It's the O button prompt that pops up when, I think, an enemy grabs you and an arrow mark vibrating up and down upon the O button prompt and a circle bar around the O button fills up as the enemy is beating the crap out of you. That one.

What's with this thing? I can never tell if I did it right? If I press nothing then the enemy does full damage, I guess. But if I hold the button then the enemy still does damage to me? So, then I'm supposed to tap the O button repeatedly(Like I originally thought), but that doesn't seem like that's it?

I never knew what I was doing with that mechanic.

Yes, you have to tap the O button repeatedly.

However, most of the times your friends will try to rescue you.

Undubbed

This photo Prompto took of my journey is hilarious.

I have no idea how he captured this.

Czn1iCiUsAAbjVY.jpg

Looks like he took a picture exactly when the scene loaded and Square places the characters above the terrain so they drop in. Not sure why they do that. Should probably wait til they hit the ground before showing the scene, I think.

Bladelaw

Do you guys have any tips for getting the most out of the battle system? I feel like battles are just coming and going without much strategy on my part. I still seem to get mostly As on all my battle report cards but I don't feel like I am doing much other than holding the attack button.

And when I do encounter the odd fight where my party seems to be in trouble...I can't really put my finger on what I am doing wrong that put me in this position to begin with. I am conscious of the enemies level and dodge/parry when I am prompted.

I just have that feeling that I am not playing the game properly and it's sort of nagging at my enjoyment of it.

There's a few things I've been able to pick out of the battle system as I've gone on.
You can absolutely get through most (if not all) the game just holding attack and parrying when prompted. The only times this gets you in trouble is when you're in a fight over your head (like that mini boss I fought 12 levels over me...). It's in these fights where you need to really focus on the strategy and utilities the game gives you.

Depending on how you spend your AP you have a few options:
If you focus on Noctis you can dart in and out of combat (focus on the Warp Strike and Air Step nodes) dealing tons of damage while staying relatively safe

If you focus on teamwork you can build your AP bar and burn it on impactful skills like Enhance, Regroup, and Overwhelm. If you do this you'll need to do some menu shuffling equipping Ignus (or Gladio/Prompto) with the appropriate skill at the right time. An example would be fill the bar to level 3, have Ignus enhance Noctis, then switch Ignus to "Overwhelm" and use that on the boss. Now you're doing a shitload of boosted damage and almost every hit is a critical (if you levels up the skills) while taking no damage.

Then there's working on normal attacks and getting your positioning right to flank an enemy for a string of Blindside Links or Deathblows to deal huge damage.

There's a ton of depth to the combat but only rarely will the game actually test you to a point where you'd feel the need to really exercise the system they built. At least for me through chapter 8... again except for that one time I jumped into a dungeon way over my head.

RangerX

Banned
I've just finished chapter 12 and the story really has become batshit insane at this point. Its really sloppily put together. The gameplay is still great though but I think I have fallen into the common trap of overleveling. The game has become a complete cakewalk at this point and I'm annihilating bosses. I killed one with one quintcast fire. I'm only level 40 too.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I finished it! Took me around 35 hrs by doing some sidequests and hunts along the road. Fantastic game up chapter 9, utter shit immediately after.

Jennipeg

I just had my arse handed to me in Chapter 12 by a boss,
Deathblow is it?
Any tips? My initial reaction was to call bullshit, but there must be a way to avoid all that laser business.

Noctis "This wind is strong"
Prompto "No! My perfectly groomed hair"
Noctis "You've think you've got it bad, check out Ignis"
Prompto "Yeah, you're right"
Ignis "It's rude to stare"

Gorillaz

Was listening to PS I Love you this morning and they quoted regarding the release of more content coming that will "fix" chapter 13. I'm only on chapter 3, is 13 that bad?
It's just tedious. Fat needs to be trimmed from it.

It actually is unique design wise tho from everything before it

Neiteio

I'm listening to the game's soundtrack and fuck it's so good. I wish we could unlock it for the mp3 player and Regalia. They said they were gonna let us replay chapters with a patch right? I'd love to replay some earlier battles for the soundtrack alone.
Wait, did they really say they'll be patching in a chapter replay feature? That'd be amazing. :-O

I'd also love a cutscene viewer. And please allow us to use the Share button on the final cutscenes, I want to take pictures!

edit: Oh, and give me a Bestiary (aka model viewer) and a Codex, too

50 hours in and just beat chapter 9... Poor
Ignis
... Of all of the characters...

The end of chapter 9 into chapter 10, both me and my wife took a lot harder than we were expecting.

Gbraga

I think you went a little too far saying "no optional dungeons." But some of those dungeons should have been better integrated.

Why do you believe people are "rushing through" the main story? It's not very long to begin with if you follow it, so how is it a player's fault if they do the story and felt it lacking? They aren't "robbing themselves." The game was designed that way. The quest is big, bright red text and tells you to follow it. What if endless, uninspired fetch quests and hunts aren't really something a person wants to do because they find them not very good? You mention cooking, fishing and photography skills to level. Do any of these truly matter? They are simply tacked on things. Bars to level. Is there an ultimate weapon uncovered by Prompto's pictures? Secrets? Anything?

You mention the game's theme. What is it? A Road Trip? Well, the game really betrays that. The story of the game is NOT a road trip story. It's a story of The Chosen One who must gain the power to save the world. That doesn't really jive with "Road Trip." So, can you blame players for being a little conflicted when the game tells you two things that directly oppose the other?

Sorry if this feels like I'm attacking you. It's more like my own thoughts while playing through mixing in. Everything in the game is undercooked. Every single aspect I have played so far. Yeah, I'm having fun with it, but I have fun with every Final Fantasy. I'll grind through to 100% because I do it with all of them. However, so far, I wouldn't really call this a good game yet. The main cast is the bright spot, but the western type open world is at its worst here and the story is...well, something.

It's no one's "fault". You don't have to experience all of the game's content. I know I don't for a lot of games I play. But it's nice to have a lot to explore when I love the game.

I feel like they are robbing themselves from the experience because to me these things are at the core of it. If you disagree, that's fine too. I just don't agree with this notion of "it's such a shame that people will miss it, it shouldn't be missable". I think that's very counterproductive to good game design. Let them miss it. If they end up disliking a game they would otherwise like, that's ok too. I don't need to protect the game from people not liking it. It's fine that people who just go through the story (I didn't mean "rush" as necessarily negative, I just meant "ignoring anything but the main story") may not like it as much. What's wrong with that?

And I definitely do think it matters. There are very few themes that scream "journey > destination" more than a roadtrip. It also weirds me out to see people bothered that the post game content doesn't have trophies. I understand if someone thinks it's not worth doing it if there isn't one, but then don't do it and move on, what's the problem with that?

It feels like most of the complaints about content being optional come from either people who wanted to experience it but didn't want to bother going after it, and wanted everything served to them, or people who did experience it but can't deal with people who didn't not knowing how good it is. It's fine that people have difference experiences. This is not an issue to be fixed.

And I absolutely do stand by my statement that the road trip is at the core of the game and its overarching theme. I don't think the plot goes actually goes against it, but even if it did. There's much more to the game than its plot, and just the way traversal, camping optional party quests and stuff like that works, it's very obvious that this is the framework for the game. And again, I don't think there's anyone to blame, it's not anyone's fault, they just don't agree with me, and it's ok. Unlike people shitting on the game, I'm not trying to say that my feelings torwards it are the objective truth. You can think everything I wrote the last few pages is complete bullshit. It's just my opinion.

Don't worry about it, it didn't feel like a personal attack at all. You're just talking about the game. And you don't like it nearly as much as I do, if at all, but that's not an uncommon opinion. You'll see plenty of people sharing your thoughts throughout both of the OTs.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqsihozZRY

Can you understand what's going on at all? If you can, then I don't think there's any particular mechanic I could tell you about, you probably just don't like it.

If you can't really follow what he's doing, then you should look into some of the basic combat ascension grid skills, like Airstep and Blink, and experiment with the directional modifiers to your combos.

I guess I need to further clarify that.

I didn't mean I would magically like it more than I do now if it were a spinoff. I actually meant it would be easier to forgive massive shortcomings if the budget were cut much like a spinoff. I don't think it's crazy to say something like FFXIII-2 or Lightning Returns had a drastically lower budget. So there are some things that will get skipped. This being a full budgeted AAA part of the series does mean that these skipped things raise some really big concerns. The camera is awful. The targeting system is shit. There are no options to use control any of what 3 out of 4 of my team is doing at any given time. It's a chaotic fucking mess. It's not just bad for a Final Fantasy, it's bad for any non-Bethesda RPG system.

Obviously in a long running series there are some expectations and comparisons going in. One of the reasons I love Final Fantasy is because of those experimentations so don't try and paint me as someone that is heavily against that. I'm not. I want them to experiment. I loved FFXII's battle system and I fucking loved XIII's. I loved X's and I loved IX's. I loved them all. In this case, though, it doesn't feel fresh, new, or unique like something like XIII or any of its spinoffs did to me. It feels stale and bad. It feels like they aped some other action RPGs and threw in a few twists, didn't balance anything and called it a day.

My biggest complaint, though, is that there's no real control over my party members. That's part of my big complaint because it is literally the reason that I've been playing Final Fantasy games all these years and not Tales. It's the reason I didn't like the Star Ocean games as much. The thing is that even those games had vastly more control over your party members. This is plain unacceptable to me as a Final Fantasy game.

You may be going into FFXVI saying "I hope they surprise me," but I'm just thinking "I hope they surprise me by making a fully thought out, complete game... finally."

Ooooh ok, I did understand you wrong. I get what you're saying.

Undubbed

Game needs a Waypoint off/on option for sure.

I know it turns off when the HUD is off, but then that gets rid of the HP bars and I can't fight like that. So the best I can do is merely get rid of the corner map. Either that or get really good at fighting enemies with no HUD or damage numbers...

Dimmle

So is doing the The Last Spiracorns again and again and hope for a sturdy helixhorn to drop the best way to get one?

Eat the Mother & Child Bowl for 100% more drops and save right outside the hunt area. One of the easiest ways to target their horns (which I found truly maddening with other weapons) is to use the Scepter's warp strike, which will always strike from above and usually smack the horns head-on if you target them. If you don't get the Sturdy Helixhorn, reset and try again. Still tedious but it's probably the least infuriating way to do it.

Question:
What is the finesse part of the rating? What determines that part in battle?
I can get A+ on time and A+ in offense but a D in Finesse. Does it even matter?

I finally finished chapter 9 last night after spending a lot of time side track on betting in the arena (it's addicting)

I got a D in time against that last fight of Ch. 9 (is there a fast way to victory?) I would think everyone would get a D on that part.

Ishida

Banned
Question:
What is the finesse part of the rating? What determines that part in battle?
I can get A+ on time and A+ in offense but a D in Finesse. Does it even matter?

I finally finished chapter 9 last night after spending a lot of time side track on betting in the arena (it's addicting)

I got a D in time against that last fight of Ch. 9 (is there a fast way to victory?) I would think everyone would get a D on that part.

Finesse is about how much you take advantage of the entire battle system: Warping, Link Strikes, Blindside strikes, parrying, evading at the last second (Instead of auto-evade), etc.

50 hours in and just beat chapter 9... Poor
Ignis
... Of all of the characters...

The end of chapter 9 into chapter 10, both me and my wife took a lot harder than we were expecting.

Yeah, poor ignis (He will recover though right?)

I'm curious to see what part hit you? At first I went from Lame speech by Lady to
here we go again, SE trying to replicate Aeris death scene from FF7. Then the part where they are children was the part that sorta got to me. But then we go back to noct being a little girl moping. Gladiolus is so awesome

I messed up by changing his clothes to the casual clothing with the jacket and Cap that it made the scenes a little funnier for me.

DNAbro

Eat the Mother & Child Bowl for 100% more drops and save right outside the hunt area. One of the easiest ways to target their horns (which I found truly maddening with other weapons) is to use the Scepter's warp strike, which will always strike from above and usually smack the horns head-on if you target them. If you don't get the Sturdy Helixhorn, reset and try again. Still tedious but it's probably the least infuriating way to do it.

Where do I eat the Mother & Child Bowl?

Astral

Do dungeons not count towards the time it takes for Cid to fucking finish customizing shit. I've been bracing for power for hours now.

After clocking a solid 70 hours in this game, I think I am now done. Honestly did not expect to like it very much, honestly expected to dislike it. But man that was a lot of fun. I very rarely put that many hours into a single player game.

I really liked the combat. Sure, it had its downsides and the camera really needs work, but overall I enjoyed it. Are there any other games that have active combat in the same sense as XV that isn't a souls game? Hard to go back to other games now!

Man

I would KILL to have custom controls and one button hard lock

Best setup Ive used is Type C but juggling 3 triggers is rough sometimes lol

Adaren

Finesse is about how much you take advantage of the entire battle system: Warping, Link Strikes, Blindside strikes, parrying, evading at the last second (Instead of auto-evade), etc.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Parrying contributes to the score. To be honest, I've never noticed anything except for Blindsides / Link Strikes actually contribute to it, but I'll admit I wasn't usually paying much attention to the scores.

Dimmle

Where do I eat the Mother & Child Bowl?

Near the overlook at Lestallum there should be a lady at a table minding her own business and eating a rice bowl. Invade her privacy and let Ignis gawk over her food. Prompto will say something awful about there being a party in his tummy-- you'll want to hit him but instead proceed to a campground where you can now cook the dish for yourself.

Gbraga

People now who just embrace the road trip and exploration just find maybe some dungeons that they'll explore post-game. How is that a better answer?

Not every dungeon is locked until post game, though? And even for the ones that are, you'd still have to explore and find them, sooner or later.

Top Bottom