• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

The reason there are only thirteen Lucis weapons despite there being more than thirteen kings is because Gilgamesh already visited FFXV's world and looted all the good stuff before Noctis.

OrionX

Honestly, it's not that she only
wanted to help noctis and be by his side, but that she had to knowingly help fulfill the prophecy and lead both herself and noctis to their deaths despite their feelings for each other. In fact, as I see it there is an interesting duality here - despite luna consistently upholding her duty as oracle to help noctis achieve his destiny, it was the girl, not the oracle who provided him with the strength to do so (Gentiana also refers to this at one point).

Yeah, I really think there's some good stuff there, it just needed to be fleshed out more.

This was the overarching theme of the story, though. I think alot of people missed this.

Oh I definitely noticed all that. My point was just that
Luna's life was so tragic and I wish they'd shown more of her journey, which would've given her death more impact. But yes, Noct's story was all about being forced to accept fate. I always figured that if Luna died, Noct would too, I just wasn't sure what the circumstances would be.

Ishida

Banned
The reason there are only thirteen Lucis weapons despite there being more than thirteen kings is because Gilgamesh already visited FFXV's world and looted all the good stuff before Noctis.

Noctis: "I have 13 of my ancestor's weapons"

Gilgamesh: "I got the other 100...."

Again, too bad
Noctis and Gilgamesh won't actually meet, unless the patch also adds a Boss Rush or something.

When people criticise Luna and say she only exists to help Noctis. It's not necessarily the role she has that is the issue. It's that she has no character development, hardly any back story. What is she like as a person? We know her job and her duty. But what else did she do? Did she have any interests? Did she have time for any? We just don't know anything about her. Compare that to all the things we know about Noctis, that's the difference.

Yuna was all about her duty, but we got to understand why, we got to her as a person. That's what I am so critical of with Luna.

Luna is the same way and is shown time and time again in the game where
she sacrifices her personal happiness and body for her duty and world. She was always more mature than Noctis and did her duty uncomplainingly because she knew that what she was doing for the betterment of the world. While she helps Noctis her end goal is to do away with the Starscourge. While she loved Noctis she knew what they had to do and prioritized that over her own happiness.

Mailbox

Noctis: "I have 13 of my ancestor's weapons"

Gilgamesh: "I got the other 100...."

Again, too bad
Noctis and Gilgamesh won't actually meet, unless the patch also adds a Boss Rush or something.

They did say they would like to add limited time bosses or somesuch. I'd like to see gilgi as one of them.

Ishida

Banned
Ending spoilers:

Watching the Dawn trailer now. Holy shit. It hits WAY harder than it did back then. Regis knew. He always knew. :(

An act of love by the last King.

12142152_1510134265969536_6869965_n.jpg

Welcome to Galdin Quay The Maldives.

At first glance that looked like a low poly version of Galdin Quay, like PS2 era graphics, then I realized it's a photo... that has been badly Photoshopped.

OrionX

Ending spoilers:

Watching the Dawn trailer now. Holy shit. It hits WAY harder than it did back then. Regis knew. He always knew. :(

It's really a shame that wasn't included in the game somehow. I think the
Omen and Dawn trailers could've both worked as opening scenes. Regis certainly could've used some more screen time.

Minamu

How do I gain access to the area where the Divine Beast of the Underworld bounty hunt is? I'm in the right chapter and I've obviously done the missions there but the area is locked off (even though the bount is available at "all times").

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do wonder though how this game will fare critically once all the cutscenes, additional content, and added modes have been added in...

Ray Down

Banned
I do wonder though how this game will fare critically once all the cutscenes, additional content, and added modes have been added in...

By fans or reviewers?

Because reviewers won't go back normally, though FF may be big enough for some to try.

Fans will do new game plus for it.

Ishida

Banned
By fans or reviewers?

Because reviewers won't go back normally, though FF may be big enough for some to try.

Fans will do new game plus for it.

Pretty much this. Expect no re-reviews from the media.

It is already a 9.0/10 for me. If they actually fix the narrative issues, this game could easily become one of my favorite FF games ever.

timshundo

I caught that Kotaku article on how FFXV's trailers give too much away and was just musingly skipping through a lot of them to remind myself about them and holy crap I didn't realize how crazy much was cut from the game. There are almost two entire CG story trailers where none of that shows up in the game. The leadup to the
Leviathan
fight was crazy prominent in one trailer and completely absent in game.

Also, the beginning of that one trailer had that giant turtle monster. Is that Adamantoise you guys at post-game are talking about? Does the scene play out like that in game? Weird they'd use post game stuff like that to lead off a trailer and not have it be something you just pass by in game like it kind of seems.

I really wonder if they have a ton of stuff like 80-90% finished or mostly finished and buggy right now or something.

The adamantoise scene doesn't play out like that trailer at ALL. Fabricated.

Trojan

Jacket on:
Noct: IT'S TOO HOT
Gladio: TAKE IT OFF BAE
Jacket off:
Noct: IT'S TOO COLD
Ignis: YOU GON CATCH A COLD N DIE.

They reeeealy need to add something to the script where the NPCs are restricted from repeating banter lines more than once every 3 hours, or EVER. I'd really rather have complete silence if they are just going to repeat this shit every 2 minutes.

LOOK

OVERHEAD

IT'S A MAGITEK SHIP

level1

Ending spoilers:

Oh yeah. I honestly think that the game actually does a good job of saying a lot with very little at times. Looking at
the dawn trailer and then the final cutscene, where Regis stands at Noct's side refusing to deal his son the final blow as the 13th past king of lucis until really pushed - it's clear that he was as much a father as he was a king.

;n;

LordofPwn

over 60 hours in and im inside of chapter 6 or 7. lvl 67. i'm missing 4 arminger weapons and i know 3 of them are post game, guessing the other is story related?

is chapter 8 the next good chapter to go and really do side quests again? i also cant seem to find any more hunts to do, i'm rank 5 but all i can find to do are 6+

LordKasual

Banned
When people criticise Luna and say she only exists to help Noctis. It's not necessarily the role she has that is the issue. It's that she has no character development, hardly any back story. What is she like as a person? We know her job and her duty. But what else did she do? Did she have any interests? Did she have time for any? We just don't know anything about her. Compare that to all the things we know about Noctis, that's the difference.

Yuna was all about her duty, but we got to understand why, we got to understand her as a person. That's what I am so critical of with Luna.

Ashe in FFXII
was manipulated by gods but she still had a personality to go with her plot.

FFX was about Yuna though. Tidus kept saying it was his story. It really wasn't. Tidus came in as a blitzball champ but Yuna was the star of the game.

FFXII was about Ashe. Vaan was the window into the game and was basically only really tied to the story because of Basch, but the story was all about Ashe. XII couldn't just omit Ashe from the spotlight in the story because...there kind of wouldn't be a story to follow anymore.

XV isn't like the other FF games. Luna is an important main character but she isn't a main character in the same way Ashe, Yuna, Tifa ect was, and the story setting doesn't give her the same breathing room.

They could have written Luna into a different setting, gave her more people to talk to, showed a different side of her personality...but then she'd just be a completely different character. This is why i'd rather analyze characters in the scope of their own story, unless there's some egregious flaw of the writer that has seeped into the character, which is 100% not the case in FFXV. XV never once promised anything spectacular about Luna. The only reason people thought she was a "character" in the same vein that Noctis / the bros were "characters" is because her original concept (Stella) was entirely different than what she is in FFXV.

It's anyone's right to do so, but i just think it's a bit misdirected to criticize Luna's character on the basis of something she isn't and never was supposed to be. I mean, Cor was no more or less "hyped" than Luna was in the trailers and cutscenes but I never see anyone complaining about him.

Grassy

I only crashed once in 67 hours so I say that's pretty good.

I crashed once in ~80 hours and it was 5 minutes after completing Costlemark Tower...I didn't manually save after leaving the dungeon and my previous autosave was well before I entered(2.5 hours previous) but(TROPHY SPOILER)-
as it was the last dungeon/Royal Tomb I did, the trophy for 'Faithful Heir' popped so I didn't have to re-do the dungeon to get my Platinum. I just don't have all 13 Royal Arms now on my save...meh. I was just lucky not to have to do that POS again.

Manually save your game straight after completing every dungeon people!

RDreamer

The adamantoise scene doesn't play out like that trailer at ALL. Fabricated.

That's a huge bummer.

That was Adamantoise, though, right?

I really feel like this game really missed some of the magic that they could have had with moments like that. Driving around seeing huge creatures like that and thinking "Man I'll take that on someday" is great. I know they kind of did that early on with that giant bird, but still I thought it'd happen more. I thought you'd get explanations from Ignis or someone as you drove about landmarks and creatures like that.

I crashed once in ~80 hours and it was 5 minutes after completing Costlemark Tower...I didn't manually save after leaving the dungeon and my previous autosave was well before I entered(2.5 hours previous) but(TROPHY SPOILER)-
as it was the last dungeon/Royal Tomb I did, the trophy for 'Faithful Heir' popped so I didn't have to re-do the dungeon to get my Platinum. I just don't have all 13 Royal Arms now on my save...meh. I was just lucky not to have to do that POS again.

Manually save your game straight after completing every dungeon people!

I dont know if this counts as a crash, but i got into the car and the screen stayed black. I could hear my characters moving around but i had to reset. There was also a time where the frame rate was dropping into low single digits and staying there for some reason, had to reset to fix it. This is 82 hours of play time, kind of remarkable how infrequent bugs are in this game, especially with the warp ability.

Ricker

The real charming moments are when you see the crew smiling and having a good time right after you select to rest. I really smiled seeing the guys and Iris just talk and laugh in Lestallum hotel.

I also love seeing them at a place to eat. Noctis is in his suit and he's just talking and having a good time with his friends .

Those are moments I really like.

Yep and some of the photos when you rest are pretty good also...I liked the one when you rest right after getting your first Chocobo from the quest...damn Prompto wanted one so much and all and one of the 10 snapshots is a close up of his face,grining,thumbs up right at the Chocobos face...

LordKasual

Banned
That's a huge bummer.

That was Adamantoise, though, right?

I really feel like this game really missed some of the magic that they could have had with moments like that. Driving around seeing huge creatures like that and thinking "Man I'll take that on someday" is great. I know they kind of did that early on with that giant bird, but still I thought it'd happen more. I thought you'd get explanations from Ignis or someone as you drove about landmarks and creatures like that.

Adamantoise really is that big though. You don't encounter it in the game like you do in the trailer but it's still there. But yeah they definitely did miss the opportunity to have the really badass beasts just kind of come out of nowhere and ruin your day. It would have been real neat for Behemoth / Zu / ect to just kind of ambush hunt you during random fights the way the Magiteks do. Or for them to just randomly be seen attacking and eating game in the wilderness and aggro you if you get too close. But I can see how that would be frustrating to players who actively avoid difficult fights.

Thankfully, playing at night filled this void for me throughout the game. If I wanted to have a good time fighting, I could always just not go to sleep. Such a great design decision, there aren't many RPGs that provide you that kind of challenge (without having to go out of your way) so frequently and readily.

Ishida

Banned
Adamantoise really is that big though. You don't encounter it in the game like you do in the trailer but it's still there. But yeah they definitely did miss the opportunity to have the really badass beasts just kind of come out of nowhere and ruin your day.

It would have been real neat for Behemoth / Zu / ect to just kind of ambush hunt you during random fights the way the Magiteks do. Or for them to just randomly be seen attacking and eating game in the wilderness and aggro you if you get too close.

Yeah, but then we would have people complaining about the same. "OMG I'm level 20 and I was fighting some Magitek Soldiers, and out of fucking nowhere this giant level 67 bird comes down and wrecks my shit. This fucking game sucks".

You know, the usual.

Did Kagari ever give her review? I feel like she was so disappointed going into launch that it probably had no chance at getting her to like it but a little curious if it surprised her at all.

Sewers seem neat.

Have no idea where I'm going though, and I don't even have the quest from Cindy.

What all do I have to do here before I get credit toward starting that quest that opens up all the sealed doors? Kill the boss?

Edit: Is there even a boss? I got both accessories.

I finished the game last night, and I just have to come in and say that Chapter 13 is the worst. Between all the stealth, darkness, and surprise magitek suicide bombers I've never had less fun in my life.

At least the ending was enjoyable.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I finished the game last night, and I just have to come in and say that Chapter 13 is the worst. Between all the stealth, darkness, and surprise magitek suicide bombers I've never had less fun in my life.

At least the ending was enjoyable.

Yeah that might just beat Pharos at Ridorana as the least enjoyable dungeon in Final Fantasy history.

It wasn't even challenging, it was just way too long and boring. Running around a bunch of identical rectangular rooms, finding key cards, generic 1960s-looking electronics everywhere, etc.

Top Bottom