• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Kyoufu

1. Open up map, return to rest point.
2. Loading screen.
3. Talk to NPC,
talk to Umbra, travel to Altissa
4. Loading screen.
5. Pay 30k Gil for 3x XP.
6. Loading screen.
7. Hop on Gondola to restaurant.
8. Loading screen.
9. Eat 100% more XP food, open up map, return to rest point.
10. Loading screen.
11. Talk to NPC,
talk to Umbra, travel to Lucis
12. Loading screen.
13. Open up map, return to car.
14. Loading screen.
15. Hop in car, auto drive to dungeon.
16. Loading screen.
17. Complete dungeon, then repeat.

Can't wait for this to come to a certain platform where most of my time isn't spent in loading screens. Yay for open world games and terrible HDDs.

Loading times are pretty fast on my SSD.

Mailbox

How exactly does expericast work? I can make the spell (I'm sitting on a trove of rare coins and debased currency) but I don't want to burn more materials than necessary to get maximum benefit.

I really want to take another crack at Crestholm Channels but I need to bulk up a bit first.

With expericast, just have it tel the variable level is at 99 (potency just dictates strength), you won't need all the coins you have to do that.

Tyaren

Jormungand
in Costlemark's sealed dungeon is complete bullshit. Nothing in the game has given me trouble until now. The completionist in me won't allow myself to give up, but I've already died several times. Why Tabata? :(

If all else fails, easy mode. You can't die in it. ;)

Muffdraul

Most people are just doing it for the trophy. There's a trophy for getting each of the bros skills to level 10. If you aren't going for the platinum, and dislike fishing, you can ignore.

Ah. I generally don't worry about trophies, but I couldn't believe it when I didn't get one after completing Pitioss. So now I have a new bitterness towards them. =P

How exactly does expericast work? I can make the spell (I'm sitting on a trove of rare coins and debased currency) but I don't want to burn more materials than necessary to get maximum benefit.

I really want to take another crack at Crestholm Channels but I need to bulk up a bit first.

Get 99 blizzard fire and thunder, combine with rare coins until its level 99. Eat xp boosting food and equip everyone with moogle charms and weak weapons. Find an enemy like bandersnatch north of hammerhead and hit him with all your expericast and then go to the 3x xp hotel in altissia. With 30 rare coins i got millions of xp. I probably casted a total of 30 expericast spell

In 15 minutes i went from 70 to 99 with alot of xp to spare.

Mailbox

Jormungand
in Costlemark's sealed dungeon is complete bullshit. Nothing in the game has given me trouble until now. The completionist in me won't allow myself to give up, but I've already died several times. Why Tabata? :(

Thermal suit
and royal arms that increase elemental resistance are your friend.

Use one fire, and as many of the same coin as possible to receive as high an XP bonus cast as you can. Do this for all different types of coins you have. Equip one of them. Go north of Hammerhead to the crater, or to any other place with an enemy/enemies that will serve for a pretty long fight. Cast all of the spells at the enemy, try to make fight last long enough to get them all off, then kill the enemy/enemies when you've run out of spells.

It helps if you equip bad gear on your allies, and unequip as much as possible.

Also, obviously go to Altissa before you start to get the 100% more XP food, and after to get the 3x XP sleep bonus.

Get 99 blizzard fire and thunder, combine with rare coins until its level 99. Eat xp boosting food and equip everyone with moogle charms and weak weapons. Find an enemy like bandersnatch north of hammerhead and hit him with all your expericast and then go to the 3x xp hotel in altissia. With 30 rare coins i got millions of xp. I probably casted a total of 30 expericast spell

In 15 minutes i went from 70 to 99 with alot of xp to spare.
You don't want high potency though, that just increases damage dealt. I did forget to mention Moogle Charms though.

Bladelaw

With expericast, just have it tel the variable level is at 99 (potency just dictates strength), you won't need all the coins you have to do that.

Does the variable level = potency? I haven't spent a lot of time with elemancy.

Or are you talking about number of casts? Is a more potent expericast going to give me more XP?

EDIT: ok got it. I assume I should also equip the Moogle charm for even more XP

Mailbox

Does the variable level = potency? I haven't spent a lot of time with elemancy.

Or are you talking about number of casts? Is a more potent expericast going to give me more XP?

If you look at the crafting, you'll see 4 things:
- type: in this case expericast
- number: amount you will make
- Potency: the higher this is, the more damage you will deal
- level: this dictates how strong the type is. for example, killcast at level 99 will auto-kill enemies more than a killcast at level 1. If you put more ingredient into a craft, the level will be higher.

edit: okay you got it. Yeah, if you want. I'd recommend giving it to your team mates though.

Geg

Wasn't there talk before the release about a patch adding an in-game bestiary/enemy model viewer or did I just imagine that?

Mediking

I barely use Magic because actually using it is a pain. Its beautifully animated and very strong but tying Magic to a weapon slot with the funky aiming....

Aiming at Deadeye to shoot those fire barrels was annoying. I did it then decided to just cut him down.

Mailbox

Wasn't there talk before the release about a patch adding an in-game bestiary/enemy model viewer or did I just imagine that?

People were speculating thats what the Archives was, but that turned out not to be the case. But considering how much people want it, it'll probably happen eventually :)

I barely use Magic because actually using it is a pain. Its beautifully animated and very strong but tying Magic to a weapon slot with the funky aiming....

Aiming at Deadeye to shoot those fire barrels was annoying. I did it then decided to just cut him down.

I never aim. Just lock on and tap and the magic will go to that enemy location lol.

Ishida

Banned
1. Open up map, return to rest point.
2. Loading screen.
3. Talk to NPC,
talk to Umbra, travel to Altissa
4. Loading screen.
5. Pay 30k Gil for 3x XP.
6. Loading screen.
7. Hop on Gondola to restaurant.
8. Loading screen.
9. Eat 100% more XP food, open up map, return to rest point.
10. Loading screen.
11. Talk to NPC,
talk to Umbra, travel to Lucis
12. Loading screen.
13. Open up map, return to car.
14. Loading screen.
15. Hop in car, auto drive to dungeon.
16. Loading screen.
17. Complete dungeon, then repeat.

Can't wait for this to come to a certain platform where most of my time isn't spent in loading screens. Yay for open world games and terrible HDDs.

I honestly don't know what you expected if you are using fast travel to move to different points of a pretty big environment.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Speaking of summons, that is one aspect I really love about this game.

Despite being a staple of the series, it always felt like summons struggled to find a place gameplay-wise. Like, you couldn't just be able to cast the ultimate summon at will otherwise it will break the game. So they had to make the summons underwhelming or else jack the MP cost way up. Or just make them completely useless like in XII.

I love the way XV does it, where they can just randomly show up when you are in desperate times and open up a huge can of whup ass.

Despite being a staple of the series, it always felt like summons struggled to find a place gameplay-wise. Like, you couldn't just be able to cast the ultimate summon at will otherwise it will break the game. So they had to make the summons underwhelming or else jack the MP cost way up. Or just make them completely useless like in XII.

I love the way XV does it, where they can just randomly show up when you are in desperate times and open up a huge can of whup ass.

kind of like a limit break. Cant just use it, conditions need to be met.

LiK

This is more of a PSA cuz you can't be spoiled by it but summons are rare. 67 hours and I only managed to summon like 5 times.

Ishida

Banned
So when the game prompts you to summon, by showing L2 on the screen, I've tried clicking a d holding it yet still nothing.

So dumb.

You need to hold it for around 5 seconds. Of course if the battle ends before that, then the summon is cancelled.

What's so dumb about it?

shark sandwich

Yup! Plus it made it feel like the summons were actual characters with minds of their own. Like they are a power way beyond your control but they might decide to help you if you're lucky.

I don't use magic for combat either. The XP you get from it is insane though, and absolutely worthwhile.

I honestly don't know what you expected if you are using fast travel to move to different points of a pretty big environment.
To design gameplay aspects of the game around the existence of long loading screens on the only platforms it's available to play on? This is a massive problem with Destiny too.

Don't make the player go to an inn in order to contact Umbra. So long as the player has the option to return to car, why not give them the options that are usually available from the car without forcing them to travel to it? It's like putting a loading screen in between menu transitions. You're going from your current location, through a loading screen, to your car's menu, so you can select another location, and sit through a loading screen to get there. It doesn't make any sense. It's why something like the ability to access every feature in Splatoon's hub from a menu is so great.

Going through Altissa the first time is neat and all, but the fact that they've spaced out everything there between loading screen gondola rides is incredibly dumb. Going through several menus and several loading screens to reach a menu that lets me earn a 100% XP bonus, or 3X more sleeping XP, is dumb. I would love to view a stat in-game of how long I've spent these 60 hours in loading screens.

You need to hold it for around 5 seconds. Of course if the battle ends before that, then the summon is cancelled.

What's so dumb about it?
This new thing a lot of devs seem to be moving toward, requiring the player to hold buttons down longer to complete basic actions, like in Destiny and No Man's Sky. No reason I should have to rely on not taking a hit from a nearby enemy for the amount of time it takes to hold down the summon button. Should be capable of pressing a single button once in order to summon.

Also, it's not exactly intuitive. Some sort of summoning animation while you're holding it down would make more sense if that's what they're going for. Otherwise, to a player who hasn't yet successfully summoned, it just looks like the game's not working correctly.

I wonder what those conditions are? Do they ever show up in Monster hunts where it'd be really helpful?

So when the game prompts you to summon, by showing L2 on the screen, I've tried clicking a d holding it yet still nothing.

So dumb.
Yeah, I found you have to hold L2 a good 5 seconds or so for it to work. Best hide behind a rock or wall when summoning.

Kyoufu

I wonder what those conditions are? Do they ever show up in Monster hunts where it'd be really helpful?

Yeah, I found you have to hold L2 a good 5 seconds or so for it to work. Best hide behind a rock or wall when summoning.

They can show up during any battle. Even against a pack of level 18 Garula lol.

Yeah, I think it's really well handled as a desperation thing (so it genuinely feels like they're pulling your ass out of the fire).

I think FFXII's would be perfectly good, though, if they just appeared as an extra party member instead of dismissing your other two party members. They'd boost your damage output rather than reducing it, present one additional target to distract enemies, and finish with their finishing move without conferring any real disadvantages. It's the fact that they make two of your party members disappear that makes them only really any good as a shield for huge enemy moves.

Some amount of being able to train them/teach them abilities/boost their stats in XII would've been nice too, of course.

Falk

that puzzling face
That kind of also mirrors how you could use summons as meat shields for ultimate moves in X, right?

Kyoufu

Yeah, I think it's really well handled as a desperation thing (so it genuinely feels like they're pulling your ass out of the fire).

I think FFXII's would be perfectly good, though, if they just appeared as an extra party member instead of dismissing your other two party members. They'd boost your damage output rather than reducing it, present one additional target to distract enemies, and finish with their finishing move without conferring any real disadvantages. It's the fact that they make two of your party members disappear that makes them only really any good as a shield for huge enemy moves.

Some amount of being able to train them/teach them abilities/boost their stats in XII would've been nice too, of course.

I don't like summons in FFXII. Even in the Zodiac version I rarely ever used them and they never ever felt as good to use as they do in this game. The music, the spectacle of a giant God throwing its electric spear in your general area and causing massive damage that also has a temporary visual effect on the enviroment, that to me is fucking great. It's just a shame they're so random.

Also, one part of the latter game wouldn't have been half as good if summons were just meat shields.

Chun-Li

I could see them adding an item that increases the random chance. And maybe in the future have a call for them like the whistle.

You could do a limitation that is based on a timer. Or maybe it's in New Game + only.

Ishida

Banned
The first time Ramuh saves your ass when you're deep underground is hilarious. You're all like, how is he gonna help from over...

Oh, that's how.

It's great because you can actually see he's looking for you outside, but can't see you. Then he turns around and senses you inside the dungeon.

Lynx_7

I would've liked at least some sort of control over who I can summon, or at least for them to be more transparent about the requirements for each summon. Ramuh is cool and all but I want to see the other's animations too.

Maybe they could've made summons sort of like Limit Breaks, as in you need to fill up a bar in order to summon them. To still keep it balanced they could limit it to 1 per battle. I think the current system is just a little too random, even though it's somewhat justified by the lore.

shark sandwich

Man that would've been so cool. You had this huge cast of unique new summons but no real gameplay advantage to using them. You had to spend a ridiculous amount of precious MP, which was much better spent on magic or quickenings. Such a wasted potential.

Ishida

Banned
I would've liked at least some sort of control over who I can summon, or at least for them to be more transparent about the requirements for each one. Ramuh is cool and all but I want to see the other's animations too.

Maybe they could've also made summons sort of like Limit Breaks, as in you need to fill up a bar in order to summon them. In order to still keep it balanced, they could limit it to 1 summon per battle. I think the current system is just a little too random, even though it's somewhat justified by the lore.

I'm actually fine with how it is. I like the surprise on who is coming to my aid this time around. I really like how the summons are actually deities who can decide to help you or not, and when, and who appears.

yunbuns

I would've liked at least some sort of control over who I can summon, or at least for them to be more transparent about the requirements for each summon. Ramuh is cool and all but I want to see the other's animations too.

Maybe they could've made summons sort of like Limit Breaks, as in you need to fill up a bar in order to summon them. To still keep it balanced they could limit it to 1 per battle. I think the current system is just a little too random, even though it's somewhat justified by the lore.

That's basically how it was in VIII which I'm fine with.

Geg

Yeah (spoilering just in case) summoning
Titan is honestly really hard because it's only in certain areas of the map and you have to allow your party to die. I've still never seen the animation where he runs up, grabs you, and punches the ground.

Top Bottom