• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Woah the city of
Altissia
is making my jaw drop a little. The scene of us getting in was spectacular. Helps that the lighting was at that optimal stage in which it makes everything look great (you know what I'm talking about, clear skies, from around 10:00-15:00) and it was great. The city itself is bursting with life and it feels almost as if it was real and I was a tourist routing around

Anyone have trouble with the side quest/hunt "blobs ashore"?
I cannot get the freaking Gelatins to spawn. I've watched a couple of vids and I'm at the right spot, but the game just won't produce them.

Slime

Banned
I cannot get the freaking Gelatins to spawn. I've watched a couple of vids and I'm at the right spot, but the game just won't produce them.

If I remember correctly that's one of the nighttime hunts. Are you there during the day?

otapnam

If I remember correctly that's one of the nighttime hunts. Are you there during the day?

Lol I sat in an area till daytime for a cockatrice hunt. I still have one to do after you have to wait for rain :/

Finally got the Platinum after defeating
Adamantoise
. Managed to finish pretty much all of the content the game had to offer as well (side quests, hunts & dungeons).

All in all I really enjoyed my time with it. The combat system in particular is one of the best I've experienced in any mainline FF game.

Hopefully SE will be able to develop and release FFXVI before the end of this generation. I shall be waiting for the announcement trailer till then haha.

Did you finish all 102 hunts? I'm on my way to doing that. Hunts and the optional dungeons are the best thing about the game. It's insanely fun and challenging. I wish you couldn't spam curatives infinitely though. Then again, it does look like the game was balanced around it. Some bosses take absolutely forever.

Woah the city of
Altissia
is making my jaw drop a little. The scene of us getting in was spectacular. Helps that the lighting was at that optimal stage in which it makes everything look great (you know what I'm talking about, clear skies, from around 10:00-15:00) and it was great. The city itself is bursting with life and it feels almost as if it was real and I was a tourist routing around

Yeah I'm still exploring the place myself, real nice.

rsniper59

Neo Member
I'm holding out hope for a DLC that replaces Noctis with Lightning. Won't be satisfied until that happens. Make it so, SE!

That, or costume DLC that puts Noctis in Cloud's outfits. The Advent Children one specifically would fit well with the overall black garb of the group.

Really loving the game so far. I think I passed the point where the open world shrinks considerably (I got on the boat), but that doesn't really matter too much to me. I wasn't happy with the entire sequence/story segment after the boat, but I'm back on board in the aftermath.

JBwB

Did you finish all 102 hunts? I'm on my way to doing that. Hunts and the optional dungeons are the best thing about the game. It's insanely fun and challenging. I wish you couldn't spam curatives infinitely though. Then again, it does look like the game was balanced around it. Some bosses take absolutely forever.

I did indeed finish all of them. Got a 10 hunter rank in the process.

The sealed dungeons in both Steyliff Grove & Costlemark provided the most challenge in the game for me. Go and complete them if you haven't already.

I did indeed finish all of them. Got a 10 hunter rank in the process.

The sealed dungeons in both Steyliff Grove & Costlemark provided the most challenge in the game for me. Go and complete them if you haven't already.

Not quite there yet. Almost hunter level 9 though.

The loading times are really hurting the experience for me, but I have enjoyed my time with it.

Try not to fast travel often, one of the key elements in the game is driving around, listening to the various ssoundtracks, exploring and looking at the pretty scenery. Plus you have ascension abilities that give you AP for driving.

pLow7

Chapter 15:
just got to Insomnia and god Somnus playing the whole time is amazing. But Damn, it would ne like 1000 Times better if it didn't stop in fights

Vic_Viper

Anyone know a good place to find the ingredients for Lasagna al Forno?

Ingredients for it are:

Jabberwock Sirloin
Cleigne Darkshell
Fine Cleigne Wheat

Can somebody explain the nuances of the combat system to me? I'm only a couple of hours in but so far it just seems to be luring enemies so I'm not being mobbed then holding down a button whilst I have the right weapon equipped. I get that you can hold directions to change your attacks but I always feel like the best rout to go is to select the quickest swings to avoid getting surrounded.

LordKasual

Banned
I've never slept at Caem before and seen the EXP screen with
Noctis and Prompto playing darts lol. Prompto wins and Noctis ragequits immediately haha

Vic_Viper

Sirloin can be bought at Meldacio Hunter HQ, the rest can be bought from your Regalia shop.

Thanks. Cant seem to be able to buy the Fine Cliegane Wheat though in the Regalia. Does just regular Wheat work for the recipe or does it have to be fine wheat? The description for the regular wheat doesnt show the Lasagna so I assume no.

So I've spent 55 hours playing the game, meanwhile the big 9GB patch was still downloading (my student internet is horrendously slow), it's just installed and I've noticed so many changes already. (One being now there is a store in the Regalia which was never there before).

I have a good excuse to replay the game at one point and see everything I missed in those first fifty-odd hours o_O

Jawmuncher

Sorry for not looking, but is there a way to customize the car playlist? I know the songs I like so would be nice if I didn't have to push through them all if possible.

LordKasual

Banned
Can somebody explain the nuances of the combat system to me? I'm only a couple of hours in but so far it just seems to be luring enemies so I'm not being mobbed then holding down a button whilst I have the right weapon equipped. I get that you can hold directions to change your attacks but I always feel like the best rout to go is to select the quickest swings to avoid getting surrounded.

It's something that you have to actually learn. Noctis controls like an action game character but the game doesn't intend for you to just DMC your way through fights. You just kind of have to learn the feel for when you can go in to attack and when you should ease up and be ready to evade. Also, the faster you get accustomed to your party members, the easier time you'll have with difficult fights. Prompto is good at weakening enemies and hitting ones that move fast. Gladio is good at crowd control and bringing the big hits. Ignis is like the "commander", his abilities bring alot of utility.

A few really helpful tips:

Noctis:
- Broadsword is the most balanced weapon, the left/right and back attack strings all have invincibility frames. Also the best aerial weapon for evasion.
- Spear is like Broadsword, except far more damaging. But requires you to get a few hits in before you can actually do any special attacks, meaning you have to commit harder. This is the best aerial weapon for damage.

Gladio:
- Tempest is your go-to for the situation you described. He pulls in enemies and the damage hitbox is huge. It also has a high chance of knocking enemies over.
- Dawnhammer can do some SERIOUS damage earlygame if you put a powerful weapon on Gladio.
- In general, Gladio's damage output is significantly higher than everyone elses for majority of the game.

Prompto:
- Piercer can lower enemy defense, really helpful for Tanky enemies
- Starshell weakens daemons, switch him to this anytime you're out at night if you struggle.
- Recoil hurts like hell

Ignis:
- Everyone mentions regroup, but once you get enough money to afford potions, I personally rather just turn off the item cutscene (where it pauses and shows the character using them) and just quickly make everyone use a potion.
- Overwhelm is easily one of the best skills in the game, it's total RPG damage. EVERYONE gains cutscene invincibility and all living teammates will cycle through their skills (overwhelm, deathblow). The more people alive, and the more skills they learned through ascension, the more devestating this is. It's only single target though, and when the target dies everyone stops, so it's only really useful against powerful enemies.

Next time you fight a really powerful enemy, you get it Vulnerable, and you have 3 bars? Have prompto use Piercer and then immediately use Overwhelm and watch the enemy's lifebar vanish.

Mailbox

Ignis:

- Overwhelm is easily one of the best skills in the game, it's total RPG damage.EVERYONE gains cutscene invincibility and all living teammates will cycle through their skills (overwhelm, deathblow). The more people alive, and the more skills they learned through ascension, the more devestating this is. It's only single target though, and when the target dies everyone stops, so it's only really useful against powerful enemies.

not true. other than noct, no one has i frames in overwhelm. if ignis is downed in overwhelm, it stops automatically. i've had my team downed because of overwhelm before

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is there any rumor around stating we might expect an expansion like Hearts of Stone or Blood & Wine in the future? I mean a proper fulle fledged expansion of 15/30 hrs of content also available at retail.

LordKasual

Banned
not true. other than noct, no one has i frames in overwhelm. if ignis is downed in overwhelm, it stops automatically. i've had my team downed because of overwhelm before

Really? I've never noticed, but im severely overleveled right now.

Makes sense though, when I realized I could just tank through hits, I thought to myself that Overwhelm was easily a broken skill.

Is there any rumor around stating we might expect an expansion like Hearts of Stone or Blood & Wine in the future? I mean a proper fulle fledged expansion of 15/30 hrs of content also available at retail.

DLC involving unique playable Prompto, Gladio, and Ignis story sections have been confirmed. If you've beaten the game then you know when these chapters take place.

They've also confirmed some form of "multiplayer" content. Nobody knows what this means, but since the DLC is making the bros playable, it's exciting to speculate.

There's no telling how many hours this is going to add. But I doubt the DLC chapters are going to be as shitty as the FFXIII-2 """""chapters""""", which were essentially just minigames.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ignis:
- Everyone mentions regroup, but once you get enough money to afford potions, I personally rather just turn off the item cutscene (where it pauses and shows the character using them) and just quickly make everyone use a potion.

You can disable that!?

Kyoufu

Thanks. Cant seem to be able to buy the Fine Cliegane Wheat though in the Regalia. Does just regular Wheat work for the recipe or does it have to be fine wheat? The description for the regular wheat doesnt show the Lasagna so I assume no.

JM Market or Old Gobunant's Boat for Fine Cleigne Wheat.

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone with a Pro installed an ssd and tried it with XV?

Post-game is too frustrating with travel loading times. My March time upgrade might happen a lot sooner if they're made manageable with the better hardware.

Any impressions please?

Kyoufu

Anyone with a Pro installed an ssd and tried it with XV?

Post-game is too frustrating with travel loading times. My March time upgrade might happen a lot sooner if they're made manageable with the better hardware.

Any impressions please?

Loading times are very fast. Expect gains of around 50%.

My friend actually said "Holy shit that SSD in action!" when I showed him my progress last week.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I think that's very unlikely. They are probably going to finish up the season pass DLC, add some enhancements to the story narrative and then move onto other projects after a while.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yes lawd you can. Makes everything feel soooooooo much smoother.

The animation still plays and they're still invincible while doing it, it just doesn't stop the action or move the camera.

I swear I had to change a lot of stuff in the menu.

The rotating map was awful. Changed it to a static one with North on top.

Having a secret continuous sprint available with no indication about it and the need to have the gauge, to use it reliably, but it not being on by default.

Septimius

So that guy at the place over seas has some amazingly expensive, but also really good meals. How does learning recipes from meals you buy work? I've bought some expensive meals without Ignis picking up the recipe

JayEH

Got all the royal arms. Now just need to grind some skills and get ready for the turtle and I have the platinum.

LordKasual

Banned
I really want to do a "No Sleep" playthrough of the game after i finish the endgame stuff. I feel like it's going to be really interesting, but I don't know if i should wait until after they release the patch with the No EXP item because it'll still force me to level after each chapter. But I think this game will have a challenge run capabilities rivaling FFX.

3 small QoL changes to really boost this game for me:

1) Allow music player usage on Chocobo AND an option that toggles the music off. You spend alot of time endgame on the chocobo and it gets old after 95 hours of gametime.

2) An option to skip to daytime if you're near a haven or something. I understand why they'll let you skip to nighttime but not day, but again, when endgame hits and nothing that comes out the ground can stop me, it just gets old.

3) Allow you to take more than one hunt at the same time. Maybe pull an FFXIV Heavensward and allow you to take a stack of hunt bills from a specific location and just knock them all out at once.

Top Bottom