• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Ferr986

Is it normal that in the
Adamantoise
fight the bros
barely do shit? Seems like they can't even reach the monster. Funny how the glitched Aranea seems to do more damage with all her jumps lol
. Any tips?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's also CGI.

I swear, most of the times people refer to that setpiece to compare to the final game, they either don't know it's Altissia, or they don't know it's CGI.

Are you sure that's Altissia? I mean obviously the flyovers of Altissia are Altissia. But it cuts between those scenes (which look like an invasion), then the pseudo-realtime stuff with the airship hopping, and then the Leviathan bit at the end. It also shows you the Citadel and it shows you Vaestaetael or whatever his name is marching with an army behind him. It's definitely not Insomnia?

Hutchie

Just finished the game and loved it, its my favourite ff out of the ones i played (vii, viii and x). I gomma give it a little bit then do some post game stuff, didnt even get all of the royal arms.

Gbraga

Are you sure that's Altissia? I mean obviously the flyovers of Altissia are Altissia. But it cuts between those scenes (which look like an invasion), then the pseudo-realtime stuff with the airship hopping, and then the Leviathan bit at the end. It also shows you the Citadel and it shows you Vaestaetael or whatever his name is marching with an army behind him. It's definitely not Insomnia?

Yep, without a doubt. What makes it weird is that they put Insomnia-related dialogue over it. But aside from the obviously Insomnia shots and the tech-demo Insomnia square gameplay, it was all Altissia, you can see the waterfalls in many shots, and the architecture is exactly like Altissia.

Unless Altissia at that time was part of Lucis, and that sequence was still part of "escape from the empire". But what was shown is definitely what we know as Altissia now. Aside from the flashbacks (the first one is probably in Tenebrae, the rest in Insomnia), actual gameplay parts, Noctis in the car, Kingsglaive stuff, Noctis with Cor (that was probably in Duscae), Ravus with proto-Glauca(?) and Ardyn with Aldercapt.

The colors, architecture, water everywhere because of Leviathan, which also destroyed the buildings that are collapsing as he fights through them... Verstael marching could be in either one, but I'm guessing Altissia as well. He would probably be in charge of Nilfheim's attack there.

Fake edit: Found this:

The scene from the trailer in which Noctis is fighting the Leviathan takes place in a whirlpool. Objects and buildings are flying around and Noctis must navigate them in order to battle. The scene in which Noctis is dodging enemies in a room is a part of the same battle with the Leviathan where Noctis, the monster and an enemy nation are all battling at the same time.
Read more at http://gematsu.com/2013/06/final-fantasy-xv-the-big-interview-summary#sq0RgtxUoITwzF5M.99

So definitely Altissia.

Actual edit:

The same interview talks about that being in Accordo, so it was never part of Lucis. The battle in Altissia was always its own thing.

I just started The Hand of the King, and i'm wondering what sidequests/dungeons are worth going back to check out. My quest list is so long that it's hard deciding where to direct my attention.

WTF?!?! I spent a long time in the dungeon looking for the mythril only to get killed by the boss and there were no autosaves anywhere inside the damn place. I didn't bother to see if I could save because the game never lets me save in a dungeon. FUCK

Fbh

Finished the main story and while I still have tons of post content to do, I feel like talking about the game for a bit.

In 20 years of playing videogames, I think I've never been so hooked and had so much fun with such and obviously flawed game. Seriously, I could write a 30 pages essay about my issues with this game. In short:

- Bad sidequest design: "go get me this" is basically every sidequest (outside of hunts) in this game
- Bad story: The story feels incredibly incomplete. Lots of missing information, lots of really important things happening off camera, revelations that are talked about for literally 2 minutes and never explained, etc, etc
- Bad bosses: There are great fights in this game. High level hunts offer some awesome battles and the main story does also have 3-4 great boss battles. But some of the biggest and most relevant bosses in the game are really dissapointing. More like glorified QTE's than actual boss fights. Seriously, why didnt they take the unique enemies from some of the high level hunts and put them in the main story?
- Camera issues: Combat is great, but would be so much better if I wasn't having issues telling what I'm doing or what's going like 50% of the time
- etc, etc, etc

Yet I had so much fun playing this. Finished the story at 38 hours. Haven't played a game for so many hours in such a short time since like... Dark Souls 1.
Because as much as there is to dislike about this game, there is also lots to like:
- The 4 bros are great. Still not a fan of their design but their personalities, the way they interact with eachother and just the overall camaraderie on display was great. They kept me interested in this world despite disliking the overall story
- Combat is great IMO. It takes a while to get used to it but at least for me it eventually clicked and I love it. Noctis has some really fun to use abilities and the combat reaches a good balance of feeling good and looking good. I love aereal combat in particular
- I love the world. Really fun to see and explore. Even the car didn't bother me as it gave a true sense of roadtrip and going through the soundtrack of almost the entire main franchise was awesome.
- Some awesome sidecontent aside from normal sidequests. I've loved every dungeon so far and I had a blast with hunts (specially the higher level ones)
- HDR is soooo good in this. I even made a thread about it some time ago but in short, FFXV has sold me on HDR. I actually think that when done right, like here, it's a bigger deal than the advantage you get from the Ps4 pro (though of course, that one has better IQ AND HDR so it's still the best option)
- Also, some great setpiece moments. That scene with you fighting
the flying ships on the train, warping from the the other
was awesome. Plus I rally enjoyed the more cinematic moments (though, as I said above, would have loved if there was an actual boss fight before them)
- End game content seems to be really solid. Has been a while since I've finished the main quest of an RPG and felt like there is still so many interesting things to do
- The music is some of the best in the entire franchise. It's kinda hard to explain in short, but I love music in games and to me it has as big of an effect on my enjoyment of the world as the art direction. Every damn track is amazing.... hell, even the stay by me cover they use is really good

I feel like I could talk so more about this game. While far from perfect, it has gotten me excited about Final Fantasy again. Can't wait to see what Square will do with XVI and I'm even excited to go back to XII now (with the remaster)

While I could spend so much more time talking about this game, I know that hardly anyone will read this so I just want to mention one more thing:

This game had, hands down, the best AI companions of any RPG I've ever played.
You see, one of the reason I miss turn based JRPG's is because I think the sense of fighting as a team is completely lost in every action JRPG I've played because of how bad the companion AI is. In turn based games you have complete control over your whole party and it makes everyone feel relevant, in JRPG's it's basically you vs the enemy while the braindead AI does almost nothing. Difficulty in action JRPG's often comes from the fact that you damage dealing allies will hardly do any damage, your casters will burn through their MP casting useless shit right next to the enemy (getting hit and dying) and your healer will do a terrible job at healing.
The actual AI isn't any better in this game. But Square made some really smart design choices by:

1- Leaving all of the healing in the hands of the player. You are the only one who can use potions, elixirs and phoenix downs. Also even though Ignis is the healer, you are the one telling him when to use his ability. All in a fast and easy to use menu
2- Making only one character playable and giving the rest of the team a more basic moveset. Because when you design a character to be playable by a human, the AI is allways going to be too stupid to use that character.

The result is a party that feels useful. When I fucked up during combat and had to retreat to heal and recover MP, my party was still putting up a good fight. And that's something no other action JRPG that I've played has been able to do

Ferr986

Holy fuck the A
damantoise
fight was sooo bad. Not only it was too long and boring, also glitchy as fuck, keep clipping through his body.

Anyways, after 1hour 15:mins of fight the beast is down and with that the Platinum throphy :D One of the very few I have (I think the others are Bloodborne and Gravity Rush).

Took me 74 hours, but I still have a lot of stuff to do:
legendary
weapons, level hunts (only rank 5), Pitioss and the sealed dungeons. Still having fun with the game so I'm gonna try to do all of that.

Mediking

WTF?!?! I spent a long time in the dungeon looking for the mythril only to get killed by the boss and there were no autosaves anywhere inside the damn place. I didn't bother to see if I could save because the game never lets me save in a dungeon. FUCK

Ouch...

I actually beat that yesterday. Use
Aranea's
skill and fight hard with warp strikes. I still hardly use magic but if you use it.... use it on the monster.

Mesharey

Anyone tried to do the
Areana
glitch to and go to secret door dungeons? I'm wondering if the characters talk.

Spoiler obviously.

Ferr986

Anyone tried to do the
Areana
glitch to and go to secret door dungeons? I'm wondering if the characters talk.

Spoiler obviously.

Didn't try those dungeons but I did
the cavern one for the first time with her and she had no dialogue. AFAIK she can't go through any place that involves pressing X (ledges, narrow passages...)

Ouch...

I actually beat that yesterday. Use
Aranea's
skill and fight hard with warp strikes. I still hardly use magic but if you use it.... use it on the monster.

Take care of spoilers dude

ChanMan

Finished the main story and while I still have tons of post content to do, I feel like talking about the game for a bit.

In 20 years of playing videogames, I think I've never been so hooked and had so much fun with such and obviously flawed game. Seriously, I could write a 30 pages essay about my issues with this game. In short:

- Bad sidequest design: "go get me this" is basically every sidequest (outside of hunts) in this game
- Bad story: The story feels incredibly incomplete. Lots of missing information, lots of really important things happening off camera, revelations that are talked about for literally 2 minutes and never explained, etc, etc
- Bad bosses: There are great fights in this game. High level hunts offer some awesome battles and the main story does also have 3-4 great boss battles. But some of the biggest and most relevant bosses in the game are really dissapointing. More like glorified QTE's than actual boss fights. Seriously, why didnt they take the unique enemies from some of the high level hunts and put them in the main story?
- Camera issues: Combat is great, but would be so much better if I wasn't having issues telling what I'm doing or what's going like 50% of the time
- etc, etc, etc

Yet I had so much fun playing this. Finished the story at 38 hours. Haven't played a game for so many hours in such a short time since like... Dark Souls 1.
Because as much as there is to dislike about this game, there is also lots to like:
- The 4 bros are great. Still not a fan of their design but their personalities, the way they interact with eachother and just the overall camaraderie on display was great. They kept me interested in this world despite disliking the overall story
- Combat is great IMO. It takes a while to get used to it but at least for me it eventually clicked and I love it. Noctis has some really fun to use abilities and the combat reaches a good balance of feeling good and looking good. I love aereal combat in particular
- I love the world. Really fun to see and explore. Even the car didn't bother me as it gave a true sense of roadtrip and going through the soundtrack of almost the entire main franchise was awesome.
- Some awesome sidecontent aside from normal sidequests. I've loved every dungeon so far and I had a blast with hunts (specially the higher level ones)
- HDR is soooo good in this. I even made a thread about it some time ago but in short, FFXV has sold me on HDR. I actually think that when done right, like here, it's a bigger deal than the advantage you get from the Ps4 pro (though of course, that one has better IQ AND HDR so it's still the best option)
- Also, some great setpiece moments. That scene with you fighting
the flying ships on the tring, warping from the the other
was awesome. Plus I rally enjoyed the more cinematic moments (though, as I said above, would have loved if there was an actual boss fight before them)
- End game content seems to be really solid. Has been a while since I've finished the main quest of an RPG and felt like there is still so many interesting things to do
- The music is some of the best in the entire franchise. It's kinda hard to explain in short, but I love music in games and to me it has as big of an effect on my enjoyment of the world as the art direction. Every damn track is amazing.... hell, even the stay by me cover they use is really good

I feel like I could talk so more about this game. While far from perfect, it has gotten me excited about Final Fantasy again. Can't wait to see what Square will do with XVI and I'm even excited to go back to XII now (with the remaster)

While I could spend so much more time talking about this game, I know that hardly anyone will read this so I just want to mention one more thing:

This game had, hands down, the best AI companions of any RPG I've ever played.
You see, one of the reason I miss turn based JRPG's is because I think the sense of fighting as a team is completely lost in every action JRPG I've played because of how bad the companion AI is. In turn based games you have complete control over your whole party and it makes everyone feel relevant, in JRPG's it's basically you vs the enemy while the braindead AI does almost nothing. Difficulty in action JRPG's often comes from the fact that you damage dealing allies will hardly do any damage, your casters will burn through their MP casting useless shit right next to the enemy (getting hit and dying) and your healer will do a terrible job at healing.
The actual AI isn't any better in this game. But Square made some really smart design choices by:

1- Leaving all of the healing in the hands of the player. You are the only one who can use potions, elixirs and phoenix downs. Also even though Ignis is the healer, you are the one telling him when to use his ability. All in a fast and easy to use menu
2- Making only one character playable and giving the rest of the team a more basic moveset. Because when you design a character to be playable by a human, the AI is allways going to be too stupid to use that character.

The result is a party that feels useful. When I fucked up during combat and had to retreat to heal and recover MP, my party was still putting up a good fight. And that's something no other action JRPG that I've played has been able to do

Great post I like your thoughts on the teammates AI which I also feel is great. I haven't beaten the game yet but I am excited to get play more as I am in Chapter 3.

Welp, went into Costlemark Tower to get the last royal arm for my platinum and it glitched out. Prompto and an enemy disappeared leaving me stuck in combat with no way to hit the next cube I need to proceed. Was minutes away from the last boss.

Mesharey

Didn't try those dungeons but I did
the cavern one for the first time with her and she had no dialogue. AFAIK she can't go through any place that involves pressing X (ledges, narrow passages...)
The party was talking with each other no problems?

I can't get the glitch to happen. T_T

Always a drop ship drops soldiers or metal gears. -.- (edit: finally).

RangerX

Banned
whats the story with summons in this game? I'm on chapter 14 and the only one I've seen is Ramah, and I've only seen him twice. Are they just completely random?

It's surprisingly easy to level in this game. I saved up a bunch of xp and stayed at the inn to double it. Was level 45 before finishing chapter 3.

Other folks doing this too?

SHarris78

I'm doing a level 10 mission with a level 41 party and getting destroyed by f'ing Coeurls, how the hell are you supposed to defeat them, one hit and your dead. Soooo OP.

Toth

I am really enjoying the mood and atmosphere of Chapter 13. I really like
Ardyn's cold, emotionless voice throughout, revealing the true nature of the daemon. He is def. one of my favorite FF villains thus far.
I am only at the three keycard part but I imagine I won't be enjoying the chapter for long?

I could probably have hit level 300 by now and i still need 7000 ap to max out. Sounds like they are adressinf that abit in the patch with the AP earning items, but still.

MrBS

I'm level 38 and still on chapter 3. I'm enjoying the sides quests. The few dungeons I've stumbled across that I can manage have been a joy to explore. No fast travel for me as I love cruising in the car and jumping out if something catches me eye. Loving this game.

Ferr986

The party was talking with each other no problems?

I can't get the glitch to happen. T_T

Always a drop ship drops soldiers or metal gears. -.- (edit: finally).

Yes, the party acts like normal
she does talk in combat though, with her usual lines, also she has the after combat comments from Ch.7, but she stays silent on any non combat event, even while running through the world.

To trigger the glitch, better wait till 1 AM, from 1 to day there's less Imperial ships.

I don't know how much it matters, but I would suggest find a path that doesn't trigger any Imperial. To me, once I triggered an imperial ship Aranea would never appear, so try to avoid the Imperial spawn points. For example, using the video, from the cap, go up till a blue treasure, then go right a little because after that there's an Imperial spawn, circle that area till the rock where the demons spawn. Take into account that even with that, Aranea is not a 100% spawn.

So you cant fast travel when you select "resume" quest in car but you can when you select "auto", some weird things in this game but enjoying as I do with almost all FFs.

eXistor

Come on guys chapter 13 isnt that bad, i quite liked it.

It's fine. It did drag a bit, but that's it. I liked that it was different from the rest of the game and mechanically it worked fine. It was pretty much smooth sailing for me, did people have problems with it on a mechanical level?

Zakalwe

Banned
At the Oracle coin vendor in post-game Altissia, but he's giving me no option to interact with him. I have ascension coins in my inventory. No quests active that relate to him.

Any ideas? Can't find anything online and I might be missing something obvious.

Paches

Christ the Steyliff Grove sealed dungeon is fucking long. Took probably 3-4 hours, at one point I literally though I was doing something wrong and repeating areas, lol.

It's fine. It did drag a bit, but that's it. I liked that it was different from the rest of the game and mechanically it worked fine. It was pretty much smooth sailing for me, did people have problems with it on a mechanical level?

My only qualm with it was that it went on for longer than it needed to, but I didn't think it was something that ruined the game or anything.

Toth

Okay the ending of Chapter 13 is up there as one of the best FF sequences of all time.
Ardyn is such an awesome villain

Mesharey

Yes, the party acts like normal
she does talk in combat though, with her usual lines, also she has the after combat comments from Ch.7, but she stays silent on any non combat event, even while running through the world.

To trigger the glitch, better wait till 1 AM, from 1 to day there's less Imperial ships.

I don't know how much it matters, but I would suggest find a path that doesn't trigger any Imperial. To me, once I triggered an imperial ship Aranea would never appear, so try to avoid the Imperial spawn points. For example, using the video, from the cap, go up till a blue treasure, then go right a little because after that there's an Imperial spawn, circle that area till the rock where the demons spawn. Take into account that even with that, Aranea is not a 100% spawn.
Thanks a lot!

Doing dungeons became a lot better now lol.

Just had my camera break in a dungeon. Right stick stopped working. I thought it was trying to do some fixed camera angle thing until I kept falling down areas I couldn't see. Had to completely back out of the dungeon just to save and reload =/

Just had my camera break in a dungeon. Right stick stopped working. I thought it was trying to do some fixed camera angle thing until I kept falling down areas I couldn't see. Had to completely back out of the dungeon just to save and reload =/

I actually had this happen too, in Steyliff Grove (sp). I powered forward and managed to beat it. The camera would return to me every once and a while, and thankfully it worked throughout the final boss there .

Fuck costlemark tower. That stupid puzzle ruined it for me. Didn't even bother fighting the boss or getting the Royal Arm. Kept ending up fighting 3 red giants and the Medusa boss. Said fuck it and left.

Hutchie

The game really reminds of the legend of arslan what with reclaiming kingdom and such. I kinda get the complaints re story here but i guess with open world games something has got to give

Fuck costlemark tower. That stupid puzzle ruined it for me. Didn't even bother fighting the boss or getting the Royal Arm. Kept ending up fighting 3 red giants and the Medusa boss. Said fuck it and left.

I fought that room 3 times and it gets increasingly tougher. Fill your gauge with the ring since all the other bros will likely die. Once you have armiger just go HAM until a summon shows up.

Dimmle

No, it really wasnt
With the exception of Costlemark and Steylif, I enjoyed them without reservation. Those specific dungeons were a little unfair at times (Elder Couerls and four Iron Giants are not my idea of a good time) but they demanded an awareness that the rest of the game does not, for sure. My heart was pounding at the end of Costlemark.

I'm enjoying them because it's more opportunity to engage with the battle system at higher level.

They're fun combat arenas, but I can understand that wouldn't be appealing if you wanted more of the traditional dungeons.

Yeah, that's really all they are. It's too bad that there aren't any more traditional postgame dungeons but these are great if you're looking for some deeper combat.

Top Bottom