• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Lynx_7

To avoid the Golem room in Costlemark a second (or third, or fourth...) time just
take the NorthWest square, go down two levels and then take the west route instead of going down again.

K' Dash

any interesting worthwile post game content? I still have to finish some hunts and I'm missing 2 armiger weapons, besides from that are there any hidden bosses or cool dungeons?

If not, I'll move on to The Last Guardian.

I fought that room 3 times and it gets increasingly tougher. Fill your gauge with the ring since all the other bros will likely die. Once you have armiger just go HAM until a summon shows up.
That's what's so funny. Been playing today and I would get a summon opportunity when I was in no danger whatsoever. I mean just fighting random low level enemies. When I really needed a summon in costlemark, it showed up once and the battle was basically over at that point.

I definitely take back what I said about chapter 13. Thinking back it wasn't even bad, just way too long compared to the chapters that came before it.

Costlemark on the other hand can kick the hardest of rocks.

Lynx_7

any interesting worthwile post game content? I still have to finish some hunts and I'm missing 2 armiger weapons, besides from that are there any hidden bosses or cool dungeons?

If not, I'll move on to The Last Guardian.

There's Pitios which I haven't done yet but some people say it's the best dungeon of the game.

decisions

Can someone explain the directional combat inputs to me? I'm about 6 or 7 hours in, played the tutorial, and I still don't feel like I understand them.

It seems that it is impossible to start with one of the directional inputs, you must do a standard attack to start a combo string. I doubt this is true, but playing this way feels extremely bottlenecked.And these directional attacks are some of the techniques that were in the bottom of right of Duscae right?

It's weird, I totally understood the combat in Episode Duscae and really enjoyed it for what it was, especially 2.0, actually turned it on a couple times just to fight. Platinum and this game haven't really clicked for me.

Any input is appreciated.

Secret dungeon. Sigh

Goddess statue section
so I'm stuck here. I get down below her breasts. Cross over to other side. Proceed to go down but can't see shit. I may be overlooking another angle to manuever across but I'm just so stuck here. Must be close to bottom too

Go to her hands and look over the edge.

ch4fx_

How long is chapter 6?

Story related stuff...
I believe I'm about to setsail to somewhere. When I go to begin the quest, a prompt pops up that says I won't be able to return for quite some time.

How long is "quite some time"? I just want to
get back to the open world so I can continue doing hunts/side quests.

How long is chapter 6?

Story related stuff...
I believe I'm about to setsail to somewhere. When I go to begin the quest, a prompt pops up that says I won't be able to return for quite some time.

How long is "quite some time"? I just want to
get back to the open world so I can continue doing hunts/side quests.

The game will never trap you away for long, you can always go back and do sidequests.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ho do I use the first aid skill I learned?

Noctis didn't learn it, the bros did. They'll use it automatically when they need to.

Pay attention to the ascension screen as it highlights exactly who will be using the skill you're acquiring (bottom of the screen, thumbnail will be highlighted).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Playing 42 hours in and now at level 60 and about to start the Embassy mission in Altissia.

I think I have played more than enough for me to judge this: the battle system in FFXV is, in my opinion, one of the worst, if not the worst, battle system I have ever played in a mainline Final Fantasy games, and I have played almost all of them.

It looks cool and flashy, but beyond that there are many, many, many problems with it. First and most major: the camera. With a battle system that is supposedly dependent on quick reactions and reflexes, the ability to see and assess the overall situation of the battle is most critical, and yet the camera utterly and totally failed to provide the player (at least, me) with what it is supposed to provide me: awareness of what the fuck is going on on the screen. Too many times you can't even see the boys or the enemies because for some reason the camera can't view past objects like trees, or it totally spazzes out when fighting multiple enemies--it seems like you are fighting more of the camera instead of the enemies themselves (not to mention finicky targeting, etc)

In tight corridors, just forget it. And the game has this really weird obsession that I don't understand of sending your party towards places with lots and lots of corridors and closed spaces, and then throw multiple enemies at you at the same time. The camera just practically gave up during such encounters.

But Laughing Banana! you said, "that's for multiple enemies right! On one and one encounters, the battle system totally rocks!" Well no: first of all, an encounter where you fight one and one (or, well, 4 and one, to be precise) is extremely rare beyond boss encounters, and even in boss encounters, especially when the enemy is huge, the camera also often spazzes out like a dumb idiotic thing it is: the encounter I have against Quazecotl, for example, or the Naga in the sewer dungeon, are totally a friggin nightmare because the 1st moving so fast that the camera simply can't keep up and the 2nd, hooooboooy a BIG ENEMY IN SMALL CONFINED SPACE (who is the IDIOT that thought this kind of thing is fun???) yeaaayyyyy! (plus status effects too for added grievance), the camera just zoomed in, zoomed out, whatever, it's drunk and doesn't care.

Not to mention you don't have any measure of control where and what your bros are doing, except for techs and using items, unlike say, in FFXII where even left on their devices, you can customize your parties AIs with specific orders to better suit the combat condition so you don't have to babysit them all the time (especially Prompto, fucking Prompto). It seems like more often than not, you simply do not have any control on what is happening on the screen, which is bad, very bad, especially in tense situations like inside dungeons (again, lots of tight spaces with many multiple-enemies encounters)

I can go on and on, but I just want to make it clear: though not without its strengths, the battle system in FFXV is simply one of the worst I have played in a mainline Final Fantasy game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Playing 42 hours in and now at level 60 and about to start the Embassy mission in Altissia.

I think I have played more than enough for me to judge this: the battle system in FFXV is, in my opinion, one of the worst, if not the worst, battle system I have ever played in a mainline Final Fantasy games, and I have played almost all of them.

It looks cool and flashy, but beyond that there are many, many, many problems with it. First and most major: the camera. With a battle system that is supposedly dependent on quick reactions and reflexes, the ability to see and assess the overall situation of the battle is most critical, and yet the camera utterly and totally failed to provide the player (at least, me) with what it is supposed to provide me: awareness of what the fuck is going on on the screen. Too many times you can't even see the boys or the enemies because for some reason the camera can't view past objects like trees, or it totally spazzes out when fighting multiple enemies--it seems like you are fighting more of the camera instead of the enemies themselves (not to mention finicky targeting, etc)

In tight corridors, just forget it. And the game has this really weird obsession that I don't understand of sending your party towards places with lots and lots of corridors and closed spaces, and then throw multiple enemies at you at the same time. The camera just practically gave up during such encounters.

But Laughing Banana! you said, "that's for multiple enemies right! On one and one encounters, the battle system totally rocks!" Well no: first of all, an encounter where you fight one and one (or, well, 4 and one, to be precise) is extremely rare beyond boss encounters, and even in boss encounters, especially when the enemy is huge, the camera also often spazzes out like a dumb idiotic thing it is: the encounter I have against Quazecotl, for example, or the Naga in the sewer dungeon, are totally a friggin nightmare because the 1st moving so fast that the camera simply can't keep up and the 2nd, hooooboooy a BIG ENEMY IN SMALL CONFINED SPACE (who is the IDIOT that thought this kind of thing is fun???) yeaaayyyyy! (plus status effects too for added grievance), the camera just zoomed in, zoomed out, whatever, it's drunk and doesn't care.

Not to mention you don't have any measure of control where and what your bros are doing, except for techs and using items, unlike say, in FFXII where even left on their devices, you can customize your parties AIs with specific orders to better suit the combat condition so you don't have to babysit them all the time (especially Prompto, fucking Prompto). It seems like more often than not, you simply do not have any control on what is happening on the screen, which is bad, very bad, especially in tense situations like inside dungeons (again, lots of tight spaces with many multiple-enemies encounters)

I can go on and on, but I just want to make it clear: though not without its strengths, the battle system in FFXV is simply one of the worst I have played in a mainline Final Fantasy game.

The game really isn't reliant on quick reflexes, at least not anywhere near the degree of a character action game or something like Souls.

This is much more like a hybrid of turn-based and real-time, you can play the hectic battles relatively slowly. Holding down either attack or defense to switched between automated states while you time your techs and adjust your positioning to manage the battle. It's all quite relaxed in comparison to what's happening on screen.

Yes, the camera sometimes shits the bed, and the targeting system is finicky, but due to the relaxed way the battles can be played you can manage a fight smoothly even if the camera is fighting you.

Besides, I only ran into what you'd call severe camera issues in a handful of enclosed spaces and a few times tress were present, but overall it was fine to manage.

I'm at the Hunter HQ because I want to buy a gun for Prompto, but when I go to the store I don't get the option to buy any guns...just swords, lances, etc...what gives?

Ishida

Banned

I'm the total opposite. FFXV's is my favorite battle system in the series. It's going to be tough to go back to turn based when I replay the old games.

To avoid the Golem room in Costlemark a second (or third, or fourth...) time just
take the NorthWest square, go down two levels and then take the west route instead of going down again.

Yup yup - another tip for making Costlemark manageable: Go in way overleveled with a bunch of quintcast aga spells.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The game really isn't reliant on quick reflexes, at least not anywhere near the degree of a character action game or something like Souls.

This is much more like a hybrid of turn-based and real-time, you can play the hectic battles relatively slowly. Holding down either attack or defense to switched between automated states while you time your techs and adjust your positioning to manage the battle. It's all quite relaxed in comparison to what's happening on screen.

Yes, the camera sometimes shits the bed, and the targeting system is finicky, but due to the relaxed way the battles can be played you can manage a fight smoothly even if the camera is fighting you.

Besides, I only ran into what you'd call severe camera issues in a handful of enclosed spaces and a few times tress were present, but overall it was fine to manage.

On wide open spaces the battle system is generally fine and manageable, but when the game send you to dungeons where more often than not it shits the bed very badly.

Also, battle against big enemies like Treant can often make camera spazzes out too. It's annoying. Terribly bad when they combine large enemies with tight confined spaces like the fight against Naga in the sewer dungeon.

I'm the total opposite. FFXV's is my favorite battle system in the series. It's going to be tough to go back to turn based when I replay the old games.

Well maybe bad is not the right word to describe it, but more often than not I feel like I am fighting the battle system itself (the camera, in particular) than the enemies on the screen.

Zakalwe

Banned
On wide open spaces the battle system is generally fine and manageable, but when the game send you to dungeons where more often than not it shits the bed very badly.

Also, battle against big enemies like Treant can often make camera spazzes out too. It's annoying. Terribly bad when they combine large enemies with tight confined spaces like the fight against Naga in the sewer dungeon.

Well maybe bad is not the right word to describe it, but more often than not I feel like I am fighting the battle system itself (the camera, in particular) than the enemies on the screen.

It's just that the times it really got that bad were very few and far between for me, and I can't imagine I was doing anything much different to most players.

Not denying it can get bad, just that it didn't seem to happen often enough to be too bothered about.

Mailbox

While the camera has its issues, I honestly can't trust the opinion of someone who would rank FF12's battle system as being better than FF15's.

Gbraga

These dungeons, man... So good <3

Just did Crestlholm Channels. It was intense! Awesome boss fight, and what the fuck is that auto-weapon switch item? It's garbage, hahahaha.

Wyvern Lance is sweet, though, replaced my Drain Lance III, and I gave it to Ignis.

I'm also really enjoying Vyv's lore snips every time we get a new quest from him. So I guess these symbols on the sealed doors
are of Solheim origin, interested to know more about it, and their relationship to the gods. I'm also assuming that they were involved in this Astral War, then? And this is when gods and humans fought side by side, that the Cosmogony book from Taelpar Outpost talks about. I wonder what in the world they could be fighting to match this power.

Tomorrow I think I'll finally say goodbye to Chapter 3, after 70 beautiful hours. I love this game.

Not a bug. Just stupid game design

Yeah, not a fan either. I appreciate the work they put into having a different animation set for dungeon crawling, but it shouldn't come at the cost of mobility. Pushing the stick all the way should move at the same speed (or at least close) to running in the open world, even if the animation is completely different.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
While the camera has its issues, I honestly can't trust the opinion of someone who would rank FF12's battle system as being better than FF15's.

Hahaha.

Well, what I appreciate FFXII's more than FFXV was its allowance to give your party members customizable AI to handle various situations so you can be left with your own devices for the most part, unlike in FFXV where you have to babysit your team members (Prompto especially), especially against enemies that can induce status effects.

Mailbox

Aw don't be like that we all have opinions(tho I agree i hate 12's combat with a burning passion).

Wtf...

I'd give 12's combat more of a pass if it actually respected player time (ally ai patterns being relocated to just another collectible) and if hitboxes and positioning were a thing that actually mattered (when I'm running and a wolf is 8 feet behind me, he shouldn't be doing damage to me. Auto-connecting damage is annoying and frustrating)

I'll admit though, I had a better time with 12's combat after I turned off Gambits for the character I was controlling.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hahaha.

Well, what I appreciate FFXII's more than FFXV was its allowance to give your party members customizable AI to handle various situations so you can be left with your own devices for the most part, unlike in FFXV where you have to babysit your team members (Prompto especially), especially against enemies that can induce status effects.

Time tech moves. Also it seems that Noctis avoiding certain damage means the team will too. Example being Adamantoise's front left foot swing, if Noct avoids it no-one gets hit, if he's struck the damage is shared so avoiding damage in general will help.

A gambit system would be a godsend absolutely, but you can make it work more than it doesn't.

Dimmle

The number of times I wished for a gambit system in Sealed Costlemark as my friends stood on slack-jawed and observed my death.

The camera is pretty useless. It's just some people look past it. Others can't. And when you compare it to other games it just doesn't hold up well. My main gripes are fighting near trees and in enclosed areas. I had one fight start as I was slowly making my way through a crack in a dungeon. I had to slowly slide my way out to fight.
I'd prefer it if it were a little slower but the game seems to want you to finish a fight in seconds most of the time.
Occasionally the camera is okay but it really isn't fit for purpose.
It is fairly spectacular looking but it's a pain in the arse too.

ramyeon

I was sceptical of the battle system during development but I love it. With Wait mode turned on it's one of the best in the series IMO.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
These dungeons, man... So good <3

Just did Crestlholm Channels. It was intense! Awesome boss fight, and what the fuck is that auto-weapon switch item? It's garbage, hahahaha.

Grawwh I hate that dungeon. It's so dark and claustrophobic and the layout can be very confusing. Not to mention you are expected to fight a huge boss like Naga in enclosed space :( She can petrify-frogify you too, aarghhh pain in the arse!

The number of times I wished for a gambit system in Sealed Costlemark as my friends stood on slack-jawed and observed my death.

Man, I don't want to even begin to image how much pain I will have going through that if Crestlholm Channels already gave my patient nerves a workout, hahaha.

Also, a weirdness: at earlier chapter the "day" cycle starts at 5 and the night starts at 19 (IIRC), but somehow at the later chapter this changes? For whatever the reason...? So weird.

Also, Ramuh is very friendly towards me, for whatever reason. He showed up so many times, even during boss fights and hunts, that it honestly surprised me... not that I don't appreciate it, hahah.

I was sceptical of the battle system during development but I love it. With Wait mode turned on it's one of the best in the series IMO.

Maybe I should give the Wait Mode a try.

Though I don't know, it feels like Wait Mode is not "really" how you "should" play this game, you know? It's silly, but that what it feels to me.

Oh man after 99 elixirs, 50 hi-elixirs and a hour and a half I beat the lvl 120 boss at lvl 74. At the beginning I could only dodge, cast magic and do piercer but at the end got a bit more bold and started attacking. No summon helped me :(

Sushen

I've been playing it for about 6 hours but the game hasn't clicked for me, yet. Definitely, it's no FF 4 & 6...not even FF 7 or FF 10.

I'll force myself to play more. Does this game get much better later? If so, how many hours into it?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've been playing it for about 6 hours but the game hasn't clicked for me, yet. Definitely, it's no FF 4 & 6...not even FF 7 or FF 10.

I'll force myself to play more. Does this game get much better later? If so, how many hours into it?

Well... depends, what do you feel is/are the reason(s) that the game hasn't clicked for you yet?

Zafir

Man, I don't want to even begin to image how much pain I will have going through that if Crestlholm Channels already gave my patient nerves a workout, hahaha.

Also, a weirdness: at earlier chapter the "day" cycle starts at 5 and the night starts at 19 (IIRC), but somehow at the later chapter this changes? For whatever the reason...? So weird.
Yes it does change,
for story reasons

Early in the game dawn starts at 4am and dusk starts at 4pm, in the later chapters, I think somewhere around chapter 6 or 7 it begins, dawn starts at 8am and dusk starts at 2pm.

Don't read the following spoiler if you haven't completed game yet. -

It's an affect of the star scourge blocking out the sunlight. By Chapter 12, there isn't any day at all. :p

Honestly I felt it was a nice little small detail. Most people will miss it sadly though. My friend didn't even notice till I pointed it out.

_Isaac

I am not sure if this is a bug or what but the regalia seems to max out at 35 mph. It's so slow. This is with either Ignis or Noctis driving.

Top Bottom