• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

zarnold56

Really like this game, but a simple tweak could really make it so much better. Being able to accept all the hunts at once from a spot, or once visiting a spot the hunts get unlocked and listed on a separate quest log would be so much better. Having to go to the individual spot to find what hunts you have left there is so annoying.

The exact same thing happened to me this morning. Pretty much the only intelligible thing I heard over Notics' grunting was the dude say his name. At least I heard that, but I'm guessing I missed something else important.

You did, lol

I went back and read what happened/what was said via Wikipedia

LiK

One thing that really puzzles me in chapter 13 is there's a weapon vending machine. If you're in a dire situation, shouldn't you just steal them? It doesn't look hard to steal.

But anyways, I wasn't a fan of that chapter. Needs to be cut in half or give us more variety.

That whole chapter wasn't well thought out at all. Felt like horrble padding and added to include more story stuff in those notes to explain plot.

LordKasual

Banned
yeah
ifirit
was easy in comparison lol. And everything else is... uh.

This game is weird.

I think it's just a Final Fantasy thing. The final area typically has enemies that are significantly more dangerous to your party in ways that the Final Boss isn't.

Yeah, your bros start to actually become liabilities, I've found

They're never a liability, they are significantly more useful alive than dead.

Ignis' Overwhelm and Armiger Chain should be enough incentive really.

piggychan

I think the enemy designers must have had a fetish for snakes..

I walked into these two slightly unprepared and gave up...
hjpseHJ.gif

That whole chapter wasn't well thought out at all. Felt like horrble padding and added to include more story stuff in those notes to explain plot.

It's sad as the game would benefit SO MUCH from an in-game Glossary/Lore entry (i had to watch Kingsglaive twice AND read the wiki entry to even hear the fucking Starscourge mentioned)

Eos is actually pretty freaking neat, especially in the way they managed to get the traditional FF hooks in there.... but you wouldn't know it cause the game would rather you just do one meaningless fetch quest after the next with no real narrative context or world building

Freshmire

All I'm aware of is that Ravus had a magitek arm so transforming him into a strong daemon was probably pretty easy for Ardyn. As for how he ended up in that facility on the lowest floor, incapacitated, well your guess is as good as mine. I'm hoping that's one of the spots they add a ton more exposition when it comes time.

My only assumption is Ravus probably knew Noctis would be there due to the commotion of the military chasing them to that facility so he went there himself to hand off the sword.

There's a newspaper in the train saying he was executed for losing so many troops in Altissia, at least that's the official reason. In reality everything is Ardyn's master plan. Probably killed him and dumped him there so Noctis could get the sword and make it to the crystal.

GeeTeeCee

15 hours in and I just had my first crash. Luckily I had the foresight to save 10 minutes beforehand, but still. I hope that isn't down to the new patch.

iFirez

I'm in Chapter 5 and Noct just hit 37... am I over levelled? The game doesn't feel hard but it has its moments of slight challenge. Might get up to 40 and then finish the chapter and do some more side quests. It's the hunting that has me addicted. Oh and I only started playing yesterday, 19 hours on the clock.

OMG, they fixed the day/night cycle with 1.03. What a joy!
It does feel like it takes longer to get to a night time state now.

Given how the last few quests I've done involve going into dungeons that only open at night, and fighting monsters at night (not hunt quests), this actually feels like more of a hindrance than a help.

One thing that really puzzles me in chapter 13 is there's a weapon vending machine. If you're in a dire situation, shouldn't you just steal them? It doesn't look hard to steal.

But anyways, I wasn't a fan of that chapter. Needs to be cut in half or give us more variety.

I honestly didn't mind that chapter. Yeah it was bad. But it didn't bother me too much.

Dysun

Finished all of Chapter 13 in one go last night. I kind of liked it, but it was definitely padded out a bit too much

Quonny

FFXVGAF: Whose your favorite female character (without spoilers)? Iris? Aranea? Cindy? Gentiana? Or Luna? And explain why.

Cindy, despite her outfit.

She's fleshed out and interesting. She has history and place in the world. Everyone else are such nothings.

Can I get a link?

To quote Wikipedia:

Forced to separate from the party, Noctis finally reaches the Crystal. Upon touching it, he is transported to the spirit realm, where he learns the full truth from the Astral Bahamut: Noctis is prophesized to become the True King who will purge Eos of the Starscourge, and that "Ardyn Izunia" is in fact Ardyn Lucis Caelum, a former healer from Lucis who was chosen by the Crystal two thousand years ago. Ardyn had saved Eos by absorbing the Daemons into himself, only to be denied ascension by the Astrals and demonized by Noctis's ancestor—a king who would take Ardyn's place as the Crystal's chosen. Rendered immortal by the Daemons' power, Ardyn has since sought revenge on the royal bloodline and the Crystal, waiting for the True King to appear so he could destroy them both

:)

For someone playing on regular PS4, is there anything ''important'' in the new patch I would be missing if I can't be arsed to download it right now. I don't care about NG+ that apparently was included.

Rainy

Banned
Just beat Chapter 9 so I thought I'd share my thoughts...

Man, so many mixed feelings about that chapter. The first part of the Leviathan fight just seemed messy as fuck to me, they really could have done something better with that. Also Luna dying...jesus fucking christ I knew that she died but that was so lame...we barely even saw her throughout the game. Her death didn't even have that much of an emotional impact on me, so seeing Noctis crying about it was...not too powerful. Can't believe they said she was going to be a powerful character...that was never really shown at all in the game. The female characters in this game have just been there on the sidelines :\ That was a nice CGI cutscene though. Also now Ignis is blind? What a huge thing to just happen offscreen...

Also that theme in the first half of the Leviathan fight totally reminded me of the Skyrim theme at parts! Now I see why that thread was made. I don't think it was plagiarism or anything, but it's similar.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Despite all of the hate this game gets its one of my favorite games this year. Even though I have beaten the game and got the platinum i just cannot get enough of this game. It is soo much better than FFXIII.

daveo42

Banned
Both, mechanics weren't really there. Just avoid his super moves and you're good. Too bad your buddies don't understand that so you also have to spam potions and elixers. He also has an insane amount of health.

Story-wise I have no clue what happened with Ravus or why I should care. But I understand that is the part where they are going to add more cutscenes, which are really needed. What the hell was his role? I don't get it.

Ravus saw himself as the solution to defeating the Empire because he thought Noctis couldn't live up to the role of being the One True King and fulfilling his destiny. He probably took on that role shortly after his mother died at the hands of General Whatshisface (awesome looking knight from Kingsglaive) and Noctis was then helpless to do anything.

It's hard to parse out, but they try to cover it in the cut scenes around the death of Luna that Ravus wanted her to stop calling the Astrals and save herself instead of putting her faith in Noct. It's the same reason why he put the ring on in Kingsglaive in the first place (and failed) and also why he was after the Astrals. I don't think he was that bad a guy, but he was also up against Ardyn who wanted nothing more than to see Noctis gather the necessary power to be called the One True King only to be crushed under the original.

That's my take on Ravus anyway based on all the stuff in there up through the end of the game.

Product placement usually doesn't work for me but here I am with a couple shrimp Cup Noodles. I'm more of an udon guy but this wasn't awful. Not gonna make a habit of it though. Thanks FF XV and Gladio!

Brannon

Just beat Chapter 9 so I thought I'd share my thoughts...

Also now Ignis is blind? What a huge thing to just happen offscreen...

Just remember that you're playing Noctis, and if he doesn't see it happen, you don't see it happen.

Which is just bullhoagies since we keep seeing clips of Luna being all melancholy in completely different parts of the world but hey...

It does feel like it takes longer to get to a night time state now.

Given how the last few quests I've done involve going into dungeons that only open at night, and fighting monsters at night (not hunt quests), this actually feels like more of a hindrance than a help.
It's not an ideal solution, but you can always (re)start a nighttime hunt, wait at the diner to make it instantly turn into night, and then cancel it, and it'll still be nighttime.

I decided to turn on the game and play the fishing mini-game all day.

Still in Chapter 2, wasn't able to play the game the whole month because I wanted to wait for the level stopper to come out (I don't like how the game gives far too much EXP when you just want to goof around and take your time.) I ended up getting Noctis' fishing level to 7 and managed to catch one huge fish so far. I'll probably get back to fishing whenever I'm able to upgrade the fishing rod and reel so I can catch more varieties of fish.

Toth

Finished @ 51 hours, tons of stuff still to do. Chapter 14, as a whole, was fantastic and the ending so damn beautiful.
Arydn
really turned out to be a top tier FF villain.

Best RPG of the year and definitely one of the best FFs I have ever played, despite its story flaws. I am very eager to see what SE can do to flesh out this world over the next year and I imagine we will learn more about the mysterious Solheim civilization, Vestrael and Prompto's relationship, and whatever areas Gladio explores in his own story. A nice datalog and bestiary (heck, make it a bestiary with world lore like 12) would be welcome as well.

Celeras

Banned
Yeah that
first boss-like creature(another Deathclaw) in Insomnia
was a bitch even though I was around 68 when I got there. Wait, was that thing optional? I forget now.

I assumed those things were there to point you in the right direction and add tension.. not to actually fight. Like
the daemon wall in world of ruin
. I ran by them all as they one-shot me at 43.

Same goes for the Double-Naga in the same area. Went down the path, saw them, NOPE THAT MUST BE THE WRONG WAY.

I assumed those things were there to point you in the right direction and add tension.. not to actually fight. Like
the daemon wall in world of ruin
. I ran by them all as they one-shot me at 43.

Same goes for the Double-Naga in the same area. Went down the path, saw them, NOPE THAT MUST BE THE WRONG WAY.
Lmao this was me. I was like there's no freaking way I'm supposed to beat them

Audioboxer

On chapter 6 now, and as much fun as I'm having this is going to sound rough. So far the game has basically been a pimp my ride "driving simulator" where you catch frogs and dig up stupid fucking dog tags whilst following a paper thin story.

I'm in fear of reaching chapter 13 pre-patch.

Slight hyperbole aside, what were Square thinking with these absolutely diabolically bad side quests? It's like Japanese developer does Western open world game from 10 years ago. Ubisoft are still bad at their fetch quests, but this is level 1 of Ubisoft open world design. The most boring and pointless fetch quests repeated ad nauseum. Catching frogs, dog tags and taking pointless pictures? Real good sidequests to bulk up a paper thin story Square. 10/10. Will love to do again in your shitty NG+ implementation. Cannot wait. Dave's enthusiastic voice acting to prop up his lazy fucking attitude where he won't travel a mile to pick up a stupid dog tag. Favourite FF character ever. Dave.

Pls tell me how much hard work it was doing 3D modelling of food and giving us pimp my ride decals instead of focusing on quest quality >_>

Still better than FF13 so far! :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really dislike the whole grind to 10 profession-crap.

For Prompto, do I seriously have to engage in a fight, take 5 pictures with the tech ability, go to bed, get the XP and repeat the process? Because everytime I take more than 5 pictures in the battle, they don't show up when I go to a lodge; they're completely absent and I don't get the Photography XP for it.

hohoXD123

Just finished the fight against
Leviathan
, damn that was one of the most epic battles ever even if there was no way you could lose.

Top Bottom