• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Infest

efhmry.gif

My favorite place to farm some quick AP!

ramyeon

I really dislike the whole grind to 10 profession-crap.

For Prompto, do I seriously have to engage in a fight, take 5 pictures with the tech ability, go to bed, get the XP and repeat the process? Because everytime I take more than 5 pictures in the battle, they don't show up when I go to a lodge; they're completely absent and I don't get the Photography XP for it.
I got Prompto to level 10 before even beating the main story, never got the tech to take them in battle manually either. I feel like his is probably the easiest to max as long as you're resting frequently.

Tyaren

For Prompto, do I seriously have to engage in a fight, take 5 pictures with the tech ability, go to bed, get the XP and repeat the process? Because everytime I take more than 5 pictures in the battle, they don't show up when I go to a lodge; they're completely absent and I don't get the Photography XP for it.

Strange, Prompto's photography got to ten before I beat the story. Make sure you take pictures whenever he asks you in the car or when you see a camera prompt (lol, no pun intended) somewhere in the world.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I rested like 5 times in 80 hours of playtime (not counting the main story "forced" ones)... mostly because I was saving up so much XP all the time. My levels pretty much went like this: 1 -> 20 -> 55 -> 90

or something like that

ced

I quit playing at 20 hrs and chap 9.

Game is a huge POS to me, barren ass open world and chaotic combat with an ass camera, I'm not happy about it.

I hated so many things about it.

Gbraga

I got Prompto to 10 on Chapter 3, and just got Gladio to 10 in the transition from Chapter 5 to 6.

Ignis is almost at 9, Noctis halfway there.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK, THEY PATCHED IN JARED STUFF!?

LMAO

Ok, now I surrender, this meme is too strong. FOR JARED!

I rested like 5 times in 80 hours of playtime (not counting the main story "forced" ones)... mostly because I was saving up so much XP all the time. My levels pretty much went like this: 1 -> 20 -> 55 -> 90

or something like that

Saving xp really only saves you gil. You can easily get massive gil and xp after you get the
ring magic
by farming the
wyvern hunt in verinas station or whatever it's called, use ring magic, each hunt should take a couple mins total including travel time. With the lasagna and moogle ring you can get 10k gil from selling the wyvern drops and 10k xp per hunt.
. I think the earliest you can do this is chapter 13. I got like 250k gil in about 1 hour doing this.

ramyeon

or something like that
See if you'd been playing the game normally you wouldn't have to grind his profession.

Not sure why everyone was so crazy about banking XP during the main story in this thread when it's a breeze to reach max level in the endgame.

Finished @ 51 hours, tons of stuff still to do. Chapter 14, as a whole, was fantastic and the ending so damn beautiful.
Arydn
really turned out to be a top tier FF villain.

Best RPG of the year and definitely one of the best FFs I have ever played, despite its story flaws. I am very eager to see what SE can do to flesh out this world over the next year and I imagine we will learn more about the mysterious Solheim civilization, Vestrael and Prompto's relationship, and whatever areas Gladio explores in his own story. A nice datalog and bestiary (heck, make it a bestiary with world lore like 12) would be welcome as well.

I know we've disagreed a lot in the past, but I am glad to see you enjoy(ed) the game.

And I agree. I want a datalog/bestiary of sorts. Like everytime you find a Cosmogony book it is recorded in a codex/datalog of sorts.

Just finished the fight against
Leviathan
, damn that was one of the most epic battles ever even if there was no way you could lose.

It is definitely a spectacle to behold. It's up there for me with Battle of the Gardens in FFVIII.

Hahaha. Awesome.

ramyeon

I got Prompto to 10 on Chapter 3, and just got Gladio to 10 in the transition from Chapter 5 to 6.

Ignis is almost at 9, Noctis halfway there.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK, THEY PATCHED IN JARED STUFF!?

LMAO

Ok, now I surrender, this meme is too strong. FOR JARED!
What did they patch in?

Just beat Chapter 9 so I thought I'd share my thoughts...

Man, so many mixed feelings about that chapter. The first part of the Leviathan fight just seemed messy as fuck to me, they really could have done something better with that. Also Luna dying...jesus fucking christ I knew that she died but that was so lame...we barely even saw her throughout the game. Her death didn't even have that much of an emotional impact on me, so seeing Noctis crying about it was...not too powerful. Can't believe they said she was going to be a powerful character...that was never really shown at all in the game. The female characters in this game have just been there on the sidelines :\ That was a nice CGI cutscene though. Also now Ignis is blind? What a huge thing to just happen offscreen...

Also that theme in the first half of the Leviathan fight totally reminded me of the Skyrim theme at parts! Now I see why that thread was made. I don't think it was plagiarism or anything, but it's similar.

Luna dying: meh. Ignis being blind: 😭

Wagram

The story post Chapter 8 is incredibly uninteresting. It's not even the disjointedness anymore that's bothering me. I'm simply bored.

Easily one of the worst, if not the worst story in the franchise and that's a pretty fuckin' epic accomplishment.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A flashback with Jared's introduction cutscene when Iris is telling you what happened.

Fucking LOL.

No seriously, what is the relationship between Jared/Talcott and Noctis? It seems like they're just some random old dude and brat that Noctis knew, like why are they so important? Are they part of the royal family or something?

ramyeon

Fucking LOL.

No seriously, what is the relationship between Jared/Talcott and Noctis? It seems like they're just some random old dude and brat that Noctis knew, like why are they so important? Are they part of the royal family or something?
Jared is the royal family's butler, Talcott is Jared's grandson.

Mediking

Jared is the royal family's butler, Talcott is Jared's grandson.

To add to the stupidity of Jared's character... the family's butler is something that Ignis should respect greatly. Like the butler could've been this super cool fighter butler who was similar to Cid snd Cor.

Minamu

I've heard that the time of day shortens the more you play, is that true? If yes, without spoilers, what triggers it? I just reached Altissia for the first time after about 60 hours, and it already seems to be like the day time part is shorter than usual. Placebo?

jiggle

I've heard that the time of day shortens the more you play, is that true? If yes, without spoilers, what triggers it? I just reached Altissia for the first time after about 60 hours, and it already seems to be like the day time part is shorter than usual. Placebo?
The night gets longer as u progress through the chapters, not how much you olay
If u don't want spoiler then don't look into what caused it

Well... its plot/world related

You don't have to grind anything... especially not photography. Prompto hit level 10 for me before I hit chapter 10. I've also hit level 10 in fishing (but I actually enjoy fishing and fishing mini games soooo) and level 9 in both survival and cooking all with never intentionally grinding any of them.

Gbraga

Jared's also important
for keeping the boat hidden and in order in Caem. Without him, they wouldn't have a way to cross to Altissia.

Or at least that's what I know so far, maybe it won't go down that smoothly, but I didn't actually start Chapter 6 yet.

Getting back to Lestallum at the end of the chapter, with the different song and empire flags everywhere was actually a pretty cool moment.

I don't know how they'll handle Jared's thing from now on, so maybe it'll get worse, but so far I didn't think it was weird. And I also didn't get the impression that you were supposed to care or be sad. You don't have to cry every time a character on screen cries, you don't have to be sad just because they're sad. It's obvious they knew him for a while and cared about his death, but the game doesn't seem too concerned with making you care about it. They just can't pretend these characters don't give a fuck.

Just like having years upon years of relationships between them before the game even starts can make for a much better portrayed friendship between the main cast, it also has its downsides. Like for example what the characters care about and what the player care about not always matching.

I also think the way they're handling Luna's character so far is pretty interesting. I understand the disappointment about lack of screentime, but again, at least as far as I am into the game, it all feels absolutely intentional and justified. Every time they talk about Luna it's in a "I can't wait to meet her!" tone, it's obviously building up to finally seeing her again after all these years, and worrying about her well being, not having any way to know how she's doing aside from the occasional radio message, talking to Gentiana or a vision from the Six.

Chapter 5 was great, imo. Had a blast with it.

I was also surprised by
Ravus' appearance in Chapter 5. I didn't really like his in-game design at all, and I hated his character from Kingsglaive, but I actually liked what I saw of him here, and it made me not care about his design anymore. He seems like less of an idiot, and much more capable. Doesn't even seem like the same character from Kingsglaive, which can only be a good thing, because he was an idiot. People in general were really stupid in Kingsglaive, Luna was also a complete moron.

Question:
I'm about to meet Iris, and Gladio says we should take her with us in the car. Am I back to a linear stretch the moment I pick her up or can I have her join the party and go do side stuff all over Lucis? That would be cool as hell.

Where did you find about this?

I just finished Chapter 5 for the first time. I spent around 70 hours before moving on from Chapter 3.

I immediately went to youtube to watch that cutscene, because if it was there from the start, the whole "Who's Jared?" thing wouldn't make any sense, and from the three videos I watched, none of them had the flashback.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Honestly I'm not sure, but I knew it without being told by anyone else somehow.

Probably Brotherhood.

When Jared introduces himself he says he has been in service of the Amicitia family for many years.

Did he, now? He is so forgettable in every way, shape, and form, I honestly don't remember that. Still does not make the game's effort of trying to tug your heartstrings about what happened to him not laughable, though.

Also, another in the "Wow I played the game for more than 60 hours and I just found out by now!": apparently if you are equipping a Royal Arm and you are shot, when you press Square the Royal Arm will block all the bullets and you don't phase. Huh.

Gbraga

Also, another in the "Wow I played the game for more than 60 hours and I just found out by now!": apparently if you are equipping a Royal Arm and you are shot, when you press Square the Royal Arm will block all the bullets and you don't phase. Huh.

Only found out about this through GAF, it's a pretty cool detail.

jiggle

Question:
I'm about to meet Iris, and Gladio says we should take her with us in the car. Am I back to a linear stretch the moment I pick her up or can I have her join the party and go do side stuff all over Lucis? That would be cool as hell.
She joins
But like cor, most of the map will be locked

You can take her to malmalam thickets though

hohoXD123

Bloody hell, the
Marlboro
fight was dreadful, so stupid how you're meant to win the fight, couldn't find the marked spot for ages, I just thought running outside the circles on the map was enough. Must have drained his lifebar at least 6 times.

RDreamer

Bloody hell, the
Marlboro
fight was dreadful, so stupid how you're meant to win the fight, couldn't find the marked spot for ages, I just thought running outside the circles on the map was enough. Must have drained his lifebar at least 6 times.

Same. Whoever designed that is a moron. I beat him about 6 or 7 times like you, and used up a bunch of megalixirs. Had to look up online what I was missing. Really soured that whole experience.

hohoXD123

Same. Whoever designed that is a moron. I beat him about 6 or 7 times like you, and used up a bunch of megalixirs. Had to look up online what I was missing. Really soured that whole experience.
Going from one of the best fights I've ever played to one of the worst is an achievement at least.

massoluk

Banned
Bloody hell, the
Marlboro

Count me as part of that club.
Ditto, I figured it out after 6 or 7 times

I'm about 13 hours in and still early story wise b/c I have a habit of wanting to do lots of side stuff. I like the game but I'm not sure why. The combat is clicking w/ me finally but the game was designed by a team of monkeys. I just don't get the design choices. Time sinks have their own mini time sinks. I can do about 3 quests and then have to head to a motel or camping ground b/c driving at night sucks so god damn much. I was glitching out in a tunnel b/c I'm guessing a giant spawned above me and my characters couldn't figure out what was going on. There is a good game here somewhere, it just has piles of crap on it.

Sagely

The night gets longer as u progress through the chapters, not how much you olay
If u don't want spoiler then don't look into what caused it
I could have sworn I noticed this during my own playthrough, it's a great attention to detail if true! Still only at chapter 8 but I'm sure of it.
Can I leave Lestallum without talking to her, then? I miss Leide TT_TT
Yes, you can. I did exactly this for several hours! But the locked section is also quite short and you'll be back to freely exploring in very little time.

Chapter 13 spoiler

I felt that the Prompto being an MT reveal came completely out of no where, and had zero impact on the story or Prompto himself. Really it was a pointless reveal that I feel should have been cut:

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So you see game, when you are expecting me to fight a big monster like that humongous bird or various Mecha, why do you set your camera so high up that I can barely even see my guys doing whatever under that big enemy?

WHY.

Chapter 13 spoiler

I felt that the Prompto being an MT reveal came completely out of no where, and had zero impact on the story or Prompto himself. Really it was a pointless reveal that I feel should have been cut:

If you cut that how they will able to sell that DLC tho :p

hohoXD123

Also, I don't like the way they did magic, it is horribly overpowered. From very early on in the game you can pretty much be casting -aga spells and one shotting most enemies at least up until chapter 11 (there at the moment)

Top Bottom