• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally happy that Sony is acknowledging on the record that 30fps is “choppy”

Kuranghi

I liked that they used one of the few games without object-based motion blur to show how choppy 30fps is :messenger_smirking: all modern Insomniac games look much more smooth at 30fps due to their beautiful OBMB implementations and have really low input lag due to how they sync the frames and process input.

As soon as I 100%d Ratchet and Spiderman 2 in fidelity mode I started a new game/NG+ in performance mode I was like "cool looks so smooth and feels better, looks blurry af though" and turned them both off.

The whole "75% of players choose performance mode" is mired in most people having such old TVs they don't even have game modes or no ALLM to auto switch to Game mode for them at worst and at best entry level TVs with trash contrast/HDR that don't show the increase in sharpness that fantastic or even great TVs do. Also probably they are sitting 2.5-3.5m from a 50/55" TV or worse situation which is another culprit.

I used to play my PS1 on a 15" Sony CRT at a distance of less than 1m. Otherwise I couldn't see shit/read the text and its not like those games had a lot of detail in them. Modern games have so much detail in them, the reason so many say resolution isn't important and upscaling is the same as native is because they aren't viewing on a screen big enough for the distance they are viewing from.

Every day I sell people (read: middle aged couples for the most part) a 65, 75 or 85" TV with super high contrast/brightness that they will sit even closer to than I recommend and they come back and tell me they can't believe how sharp the image is and how much of a difference 4K and HDR makes to their enjoyment of films and TV shows. These are 40-50 year old wives we're talking about, before they left the shop all they cared about was the colour of the stand, size of the bezel or thickness of the TV and even they come back and tell me they can see a massive difference.

Codes 208

Finally acknowledged?

What 30 fps games has Sony released this gen?

Bloodborne being a PS4 game, I don't think will be boosted.

700 dollars more? If you already have a PS5, you trade it in. Where are you getting 700 dollars more?
Not everyone here sells their consoles to buy a new one, especially in multiple family member households (my parents have like four ps4’s and a ps5)

Plus youre generally not going to make all your money back when trading in or selling a console, at most youre likely to only get $350, which for a ps5 pro youre still paying $350, plus tax and another $80 if you want the disc player

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Not everyone here sells their consoles to buy a new one, especially in multiple family member households (my parents have like four ps4’s and a ps5)

Plus youre generally not going to make all your money back when trading in or selling a console, at most youre likely to only get $350, which for a ps5 pro youre still paying $350, plus tax and another $80 if you want the disc player

This isn't a new console, it's a replacement console/upgrade.

If you have multiple family members and multiple PS5s currently, you only have to upgrade the one you want to take advantage of the enhancements.

350 dollars after buying it for 500 dollars 4 years ago, isn't bad.

Hrk69

Gold Member
if I can't play a game at 120fps minimum I'm not playing it at all.
GIF by Italia's Got Talent

Denton

As Cerny said, 3/4 of people are choosing performance mode.

30fps has always sucked for any game with dynamic camera. Yes it can be playable, but it is never as enjoyable as 60.

60 in every game is why I went PC decades ago.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I think he just means the fact that someone at the top of Sony literally came out and said it.

Actions speak louder than words, don't they? Every game Sony has released on PS5 has been 60 fps and almost all of these games are going to look better on PS5 Pro.

I liked that they used one of the few games without object-based motion blur to show how choppy 30fps is :messenger_smirking: all modern Insomniac games look much more smooth at 30fps due to their beautiful OBMB implementations and have really low input lag due to how they sync the frames and process input.

As soon as I 100%d Ratchet and Spiderman 2 in fidelity mode I started a new game/NG+ in performance mode I was like "cool looks so smooth and feels better, looks blurry af though" and turned them both off.

The whole "75% of players choose performance mode" is mired in most people having such old TVs they don't even have game modes or no ALLM to auto switch to Game mode for them at worst and at best entry level TVs with trash contrast/HDR that don't show the increase in sharpness that fantastic or even great TVs do. Also probably they are sitting 2.5-3.5m from a 50/55" TV or worse situation which is another culprit.

I used to play my PS1 on a 15" Sony CRT at a distance of less than 1m. Otherwise I couldn't see shit/read the text and its not like those games had a lot of detail in them. Modern games have so much detail in them, the reason so many say resolution isn't important and upscaling is the same as native is because they aren't viewing on a screen big enough for the distance they are viewing from.

Every day I sell people (read: middle aged couples for the most part) a 65, 75 or 85" TV with super high contrast/brightness that they will sit even closer to than I recommend and they come back and tell me they can't believe how sharp the image is and how much of a difference 4K and HDR makes to their enjoyment of films and TV shows. These are 40-50 year old wives we're talking about, before they left the shop all they cared about was the colour of the stand, size of the bezel or thickness of the TV and even they come back and tell me they can see a massive difference.
Well that stat is skewed because all that means is roughly 3/4 games have performance as the default over fidelity

Normies have no fucking idea or clue about any of this nor do they care. Literally only enthusiast guys like us, a small minority of gamers, are gonna go in settings to change the default to suit our own bespoke preferences

Kuranghi

Well that stat is skewed because all that means is roughly 3/4 games have performance as the default over fidelity

Normies have no fucking idea or clue about any of this nor do they care. Literally only enthusiast guys like us, a small minority of gamers, are gonna go in settings to change the default to suit our own bespoke preferences

I'd agree with you about normies and not changing options or understand it but I'd say the default is the other way around actually, from memory most of them are set to Fidelity by default. I know because it always made me think the Fidelity mode is the primary target output.

I'd agree with you about normies and not changing options or understand it but I'd say the default is the other way around actually, from memory most of them are set to Fidelity by default. I know because it always made me think the Fidelity mode is the primary target output.
Really? I feel like I’ve played a lot of Sony first party games that default me to performance but maybe I’m wrong.

Some might say their marketing department reads comments and knows buzzwords. This will be fine until PS6 when they move back to 30fps then release PS6 Pro and talk about 60fps again.

ItJustWorks

Neo Member
Meh, the best generations had 30 fps games that were just fine. Meanwhile this gen sucks ass and we got more 60 fps games.

Give me ps2/360/ps3 era software output with 30 fps over this crap we have today.

Only young kids who grew up in the suck era talk like that. They don't know any better.

XXL

60+fps is absolutely a superior expierence compared to 30fps.

Which is why PC is so popular for playing older games.

60fps should be the standard going forward, if it takes holding back on graphical fidelity for a generation so be it.

Just like SSDs are standard now and the gaming expierence is better for it going forward.

Games like the TLOU, GTA and RDR2 were taking 2-3 minutes to load on those older systems.

We have to advance, but it always can't just be graphical fidelity at the expense of everything else.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

I'll take the deluge of amazing 30 fps games of the PS4 gen over the baby-sized handful of 40-60 fps UHD ray-traced AI-upscaled bump-mapped mipmap buzzword games we've gotten during this awful generation
I hear this a lot and I just don't get it.

Two of the best games ever made, Baldur's Gate 3 and Elden Ring released this generation. If you count most Nintendo games, they have been just great this "gen".

Most of the best games from the last several generations have been rereleased like Persona 3 or Mass Effect Legendary Edition or even going back to the end of PS4 gen games like Hades, like times have been good. I've never had so many options or so many good games. Indies are good.

I distinctly remember when it wasn't this good and that was right before Persona 5 came out. Before that, and back in the PS3 days, gaming was different. You played what you had. The Wii had shovelware instead of indies ffs. How are we worse off today?

Once I saw a study where they were comparing different framerates to see what subjective improvements it had on people.

30fps to 60fps was like twice time more of an improvemnt than 60fps to 120fps. Basically diminushing returns is a thing with framerate according to this study they had done.

60fps is a real sweatspot for the human brain and should be the standard, and is actually the standard on TV refresh rate. I mean on a CRT 60fps is still great even compared to 120fps LCD IMO.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

Nintendo eventually kow-towed to the spectrum infested Zelda fanbase and gave them an "official Zelda timeline" even though it was broken and made no sense.

Sony deriding 30 fps is the Sony version of that.

playbignbox

No one has any doubts that 30fps is better than 60fps, the issue is that some games look horrible in performance mode, like FF7 Rebirth which is very blurry, so if I have to choose I prefer 30fps in some cases and game genres.

RCX

"30fps sucks. Also the base PS5 is great too"

This is going to be hell of a marketing needle to thread.

Top Bottom