• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

At least Sully has a personality. Sumia is a walking oven and that's it. The only girl in the game I like less than her is Nowi. They're down there with Kellam, Gaius, and Henry for the characters I like least in the whole game.

kellam gets no love in game or in real life poor guy :(

according to my friend
Cynthia and gerome
can only be paired together no exceptions. its also funny how this game got him into pairing when hes not into those types of games

dc89

I got my copy on Wednesday, it came two days early which was really nice. It's my first Fire Emblem game. Admittedly, I've only played 40 minutes or so because I've been busy but it's great.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture,

bOCVzy3.jpg

The cover art is really nice.

Hmmm, I disagree with you. I actually really like her straightforward personality; it just feels natural to me especially considering what she has been through. And it's not like she's beyond silly theatricals too, like in her support with Cynthia or Owain.

Heh, and it's just me though, but as far as I am concerned she is actually the canon female pairing for male Avatar.
I get why she is the way she is, it's just not that interesting to me. A find some of her methods questionable as well. (Not in a bad why, but in a WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT way.)

I haven't really delved deep into her supports yet though, so maybe those will endear her more to me. But my taste is characters is usually an outlier, so I'm not surprised that she is popular.

Edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post.

pariah164

Here's the hilarious thing about Kellam:

In the Golden Gaffe DLC, everyone's stash has been stolen - except Kellam's. "Why didn't you steal mine?!" Not even his wallet has presence.

Kellam can't catch a break. This is why I paired him with Olivia my first run; he deserved a sexy dancing waifu.

I get why she is the way she is, it's just not that interesting to me. A find some of her methods questionable as well. (Not in a bad why, but in a WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT way.)

I haven't really delved deep into her supports yet though, so maybe those will endear her more to me. But my taste is characters is usually an outlier, so I'm not surprised that she is popular.

Edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post.

personally after grinding out a lot of the supports for a lot of the female cast with a lot of thier pairings (avatar included) ive become quite attached to all of them i feel getting all the supports are really worth it in the end since they can (for me personally) give them more personality

personally after grinding out a lot of the supports for a lot of the female cast with a lot of thier pairings (avatar included) ive become quite attached to all of them i feel getting all the supports are really worth it in the end since they can (for me personally) give them more personality
Oh, I'll get their supports. I'm getting all of them.

Supports are one of my favorite parts of the game.

pariah164

Okay, so. I have one file with my completed game, one file with my male MU, and one empty. So, as I get all the supports to S-rank time, do I save in the empty file AFTER I do an S-rank with someone, then reload the file with the S-ranks ready to go?

But... then how will it save them once I beat the game on that file? Because as far as the main file is concerned, I only hit S with one person...
emot-psyduck.gif

goldenpp72

Can someone help me understand this game? I played through 5 chapters and enjoy it (first timer) but I guess I don't fully understand how I should be playing it. I kept the ability for party members to permanently die yet I can't find it in me to let them stay dead so I reset. Should I let them die? Are there tactics I should know about that might not be immediately apparent, I wouldn't usually ask for this kind of advice but I'm not only new to FE but I really don't do SRPGS either. I do enjoy it though and i'm just not sure if character death plays into the story at all or if I can be permanently screwed if I let anyone die, or if I could be missing anything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Can someone help me understand this game? I played through 5 chapters and enjoy it (first timer) but I guess I don't fully understand how I should be playing it. I kept the ability for party members to permanently die yet I can't find it in me to let them stay dead so I reset. Should I let them die? Are there tactics I should know about that might not be immediately apparent, I wouldn't usually ask for this kind of advice but I'm not only new to FE but I really don't do SRPGS either. I do enjoy it though and i'm just not sure if character death plays into the story at all or if I can be permanently screwed if I let anyone die, or if I could be missing anything.

This game is actually really simple. Just use pair up, level up, buy better equipment, etc etc. Really standard stuff; it doesn't even have front/back attack, elevation etc etc, except the whole Spear > Sword > Axe > Spear thing.

No deaths from gameplay ties into the main narrative at all.

Resetting if a character dies is how most people play, though it's hard to screw yourself over since you keep getting new characters anyway. If you get frustrated or you just don't really care about the character, then there's no harm in letting them rot.

Apoptomon

Been thinking about getting this when it releases tomorrow here in Australia. The only Fire Emblem game I've tried previously was the one that came with the ambassador program, and the other game I've played that I think's closest is that ghost recon 3ds launch game. So... My question is, is it any good / easy to get in to for a new player?

NeonZ

I wish they would go with the fourth-wall-breaking silent avatar like they had in FE7, but make it playable as well. Best of both worlds.

Silent avatar was one of the voice options in the Japanese game, but they cut it in the localization. The avatar's portrait still appeared during conversations though, rather than the characters just talking to the screen like in FE7.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Been thinking about getting this when it releases tomorrow here in Australia. The only Fire Emblem game I've tried previously was the one that came with the ambassador program, and the other game I've played that I think's closest is that ghost recon 3ds launch game. So... My question is, is it any good / easy to get in to for a new player?

Out of all Fire Emblems this game might be the most beginner-friendly of all.

XaosWolf

Mine arrived on Wednesday too, so I've gotten some good amount of playtime with it between work. Tomorrow will be the day I can get stuck in proper.

Only played very little of Sacred Stones before this, and the characters in that one never really appealed to me off the bat. This one is superb so far.
The visuals are great, glad they still have sprites, and the video cutscenes are incredible.
(Playing with Japanese voices as I prefer them more, especially in cutscenes)

Only cock-up I've made so far is not realising that weapons can't be repaired, so Frederick's Silver Spear has been wasted. Deaths are being remedied via wonderful soft reset.

Best moment I've had so far is double teaming
Marth
with Chrom.
Honestly didn't expect such an assist! =D

I'm new to the series too. Have some experience with Advance Wars, but that's about it in the SRPG department. I think the avatar might be the thing that's eased me into the cast and story, and helped me get more invested from the get go.

Robin64

Thought I was doing okay til I got to Sickle to Sword. Figuring out how to get Donnel to level while not letting him get murdered horribly is tough but fun. I figured I'd have to use others to wittle enemies down to 1 or 2 hp, so he can move in and finish them, but that hasn't exactly gone to plan yet either as the enemy usually gets killed in a counter, or my guy gets a crit or something.

Okay, so. I have one file with my completed game, one file with my male MU, and one empty. So, as I get all the supports to S-rank time, do I save in the empty file AFTER I do an S-rank with someone, then reload the file with the S-ranks ready to go?

But... then how will it save them once I beat the game on that file? Because as far as the main file is concerned, I only hit S with one person...
emot-psyduck.gif
I'm interested to know too. But you can start to figure out based on if there is a support viewer and how stuff unlocks and saves in that.

I know in the GBA titles I could spend 100+ turns on a map get the C conversation, hit B on the save prompt and get the B support turn 1 of the next map (if I made it to the map after, I get A) and they were all in the support viewer (as it saved seperately, I don't know if that is the case here plus, the Awakening support system probably won't make it easy to get enough points to max out in 1 map).

Thought I was doing okay til I got to Sickle to Sword. Figuring out how to get Donnel to level while not letting him get murdered horribly is tough but fun. I figured I'd have to use others to wittle enemies down to 1 or 2 hp, so he can move in and finish them, but that hasn't exactly gone to plan yet either as the enemy usually gets killed in a counter, or my guy gets a crit or something.
I was sloppy while playing this level. Getting my other units killed due to poor positioning (heck even the succesful run had the tactician down to 1 hp as I forgot to switch to Chrom, I love those tense enemy phases...). But how I handled Donnel
Forge a +2 might bronze lance, give it to him. Also pair up with Frederick. Hes too slow to double but will do moderate damage and might finish things off if Frederick takes a turn
I guess I aslo got lucky with my main units not being strong enough to wipe the floor of the enemy.
Edit: This was on Hard. On Lunatic I would wager if it is worth the pain of trying to get Donnel to catch up.

Pair him with someone strong, like Frederick, and keep him as the support unit. Then switch him back in when he can get the finishing blow on an enemy on his first strike without being a target afterward.

Rinse and repeat.

goldenpp72

Thanks for the responses, so if a character dies it doesn't affect the story or ending (endings?) at all? Also is there a way to grind or boost other characters up or do you just need to deal with the games natural progression?

Thanks for the responses, so if a character dies it doesn't affect the story or ending (endings?) at all? Also is there a way to grind or boost other characters up or do you just need to deal with the games natural progression?
It does affect the story, though the severity depends on the character, and it also affects which characters you can recruit down the line. (Quite a bit.)

You can grind in this game. Skirmishes will randomly pop up on the map, and you can also generate them with a particular item and with SpotPass legacy teams. There are a bunch of DLC missions that you can replay too.

NeonZ

Thanks for the responses, so if a character dies it doesn't affect the story or ending (endings?) at all?

You need some characters to unlock optional chapters(paralogues), but it won't change the course of the main story (anyone with roles in the main story or optional chapters, after joining your party, is just "hurt" and there are no extra scenes about the deaths of your units aside from their death quotes). Aside from all that though, like in every other Fire Emblem, there are character specific epilogues shown after the story ending, and you only will get to see them for a character if the character isn't dead.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

emot-psyduck.gif

I'm interested to know too. But you can start to figure out based on if there is a support viewer and how stuff unlocks and saves in that.

Here's how. Before viewing, save in slot 1 and 2. Now, let's just say Avatar has S conversation with A B C D E F G H I. You view the S support with A. This will render S conversations with B C D E F G H I locked. Save in slot 2. Done? Now, restart the game by pressing L + R + Start and load the Save slot 1. Now, override save slot 2.

Repeat the steps, only now you view the S support with B. Etc etc.

This is how you collect supports for viewing later.

Realyn

Why, why, do people play on classic and then reset if a fight goes wrong? Gosh, such hypocrisy. Just admit it to yourself and play the other mode ... ?
This has pissed me off with X-Com aswell.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why, why, do people play on classic and then reset if a fight goes wrong? Gosh, such hypocrisy. Just admit it to yourself and play the other mode ... ?

Well, the feeling to restart after someone has died is motivation enough for people to adapt to tactics otherwise they would not pick if that feeling is absent.

And besides, this is a completely single-player experience, let people play however they want dude, hahaha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You mean, take a 60:40 fight and if it goes bad reset? Yeah, right. Tactics ...

I admit, I used to feeling like you. But then again, when I think of it: in a way the feeling that a player needs to restart from the beginning is a decent enough barrier for folks to be more careful no?

Like, for example: 90% through with the map, and someone has a possibility of dying. A person playing in Classic that reset will think more due to him having to restart the whole map from the beginning, compared to the a person playing Casual who in all probability just go "Ah to hell with this. Instead of restarting I'll just go ahead."

Prax

People like to have a "perfect play" being no deaths. Makes them feel more hardcore/elite to reset until it's perfect. XD Or you get huge relief when you win at a game of chance.
If you play casual mode, then you will be too tempted to not play with as strict a mindset because it doesn't matter so much if the character can just come back the next chapter. Leads to sloppier tactics pretty much and you're not as grateful when you're lucky with surviving some RNG-screwed moment. The plus side is that you don't have to waste time restarting when you make a little mistake or you feel "the game was being unfair".
It just changes the whole mindset while playing.

You can also be harder core and just "let" characters die permanently, but I figure that's just another mode to play in and that's a completely different mindset (sacrificing kind).

It's kind of like how I don't like the infinite grinding in Awakening. The game is kind of balanced based on it and it's also too tempting to do. So I wasted a bunch of time grinding (experience and supports and money), which slows the pace of the game down significantly and now I'm kind of bored with it (I have been stuck on Chapter 14 forever). I wish there were a mode that was balanced around streamlined/no-grinding play.. >__>

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's kind of like how I don't like the infinite grinding in Awakening. The game is kind of balanced based on it and it's also too tempting to do. So I wasted a bunch of time grinding (experience and supports and money), which slows the pace of the game down significantly and now I'm kind of bored with it (I have been stuck on Chapter 14 forever). I wish there were a mode that was balanced around streamlined/no-grinding play.. >__>

I don't know.... considering the fact that someone actually managed to beat Lunatic on just 1 hours 14 minutes, which is not possible with grinding; I'd say its more like grinding is not a necessity but more of a bonus option for people who want an easier time.

Now, a more accurate thing to say I think is the game is balanced upon the pair up mechanic.

Well, on a whim I walked to both local shops this morning, in the hope of buying this.

But neither Sainsburys or Blockbuster are stocking it :/ Neither of them have Luigi's Mansion either. Why aren't Nintendo pushing these to be stocked?

Prax

I don't know.... considering the fact that someone actually managed to beat Lunatic on just 1 hours 14 minutes, which is not possible with grinding; I'd say its more like grinding is not a necessity but more of a bonus option for people who want an easier time.

Now, a more accurate thing to say I think is the game is balanced upon the pair up mechanic.

I don't even know how they managed to do that. Probably was one heck of a lucky person and/or min-maxed everything to an exact science. XD For the average player, it's definitely balanced toward grinding... ESPECIALLY if you're playing on the harder modes! And of course you will die if you don't use the pair-up in the harder modes. I think that's okay though, since that's kind of the main feature of the game. The grinding though.. not so much?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't even know how they managed to do that. Probably was one heck of a lucky person and/or min-maxed everything to an exact science. XD For the average player, it's definitely balanced toward grinding... ESPECIALLY if you're playing on the harder modes!

If you skip animations for everything and skip every cutscenes and just go directly to the commander when the map objective is beat the crap out of the leader, you can cut down a LOT of time.

Although I am sure that 1:14 mark did not count him/her restarting all the time, hahaha.

But neither Sainsburys or Blockbuster are stocking it :/ Neither of them have Luigi's Mansion either. Why aren't Nintendo pushing these to be stocked?
Supermarkets tend to be slow on stocking things and did Blockbuster ever get out administration?

I remember when Shadow Dragon camr out nobody had it (well it was terribly timed). Then a few weeks alter Blockbuster had 1, the rest (HMV, GAME, supermarkets) lacked it.

XaosWolf

Ah balls. Went to download the DLC and was annoyed by the lack of "Exact Amount Only"
I think it was because I'd pressed Add Funds instead of Buy.

Ah well, I intend to get the other DLC once it's available. \=,

EDIT: Just had new skirmish guys add to the same spot as I left some this morning. Are they gonna make that battle harder? Or do I pick a battle?

Top Bottom