• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ah balls. Went to download the DLC and was annoyed by the lack of "Exact Amount Only"
I think it was because I'd pressed Add Funds instead of Buy.

Ah well, I intend to get the other DLC once it's available. \=,

How can you get DLC anyway? Its not in the e-shop, right?

Lusankya

What reward did I miss when all the stupid villagers ran into the the enemy to get voluntarily slaughtered in paralogue 3?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why, why, do people play on classic and then reset if a fight goes wrong? Gosh, such hypocrisy. Just admit it to yourself and play the other mode ... ?

I was wondering the same thing? It's like wanting the credit for beating a more challenging mode, only you didn't really do so.

Don't recall which GBA Fire Emblem I played through years ago, but I was so pleased that I completed the game while only losing one axe wielding character. It's been so long since my last FE experience that I went into this game with the option of having characters return to battle after a defeat. Still being super careful as if death is permanent, but nice to know it's not. I want a more relaxing experience with this one, and will dial up the difficulty after the credits roll.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was wondering the same thing? It's like wanting the credit for beating a more challenging mode, only you didn't really do so.

Don't recall which GBA Fire Emblem I played through years ago, but I was so pleased that I completed the game while only losing one axe wielding character. It's been so long since my last FE experience that I went into this game with the option of having characters return to battle after a defeat. Still being super careful as if death is permanent, but nice to know it's not. I want a more relaxing experience with this one, and will dial up the difficulty after the credits roll.

Because its more difficult to play through a fight without saving IN the fight. You are simply more cautious when the fight already lasted for 30 minutes and you cant save. Personally, I wouldnt mind a difficulty option that means no perma death, but no saving in fights. Its not about the losing characters thing for me when I decided to go classic. The mode is still "more challenging", even if you reset if a character dies.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
What reward did I miss when all the stupid villagers ran into the the enemy to get voluntarily slaughtered in paralogue 3?

First reward is a Physic staff. Second and third ones are weak weapons like a log and ladle iirc. Not anything major.

Shahadan

Just got Donnel, I remember reading here he was a good unit. I guess I should reclass him at the first occasion, right?

Kincaido

Just got Donnel, I remember reading here he was a good unit. I guess I should reclass him at the first occasion, right?

Most people reclass him right away at level 10. Some people wait until level 15 because he gets a skill, but the skill is pretty bad and not needed in the end. So, up to you if you want the skill or not.

If you plan on using Donnel for the long haul, just know that he gets good faster than everyone else, but in the end, everyone surpasses him.

NeonZ

It's kind of like how I don't like the infinite grinding in Awakening. The game is kind of balanced based on it and it's also too tempting to do. So I wasted a bunch of time grinding (experience and supports and money), which slows the pace of the game down significantly and now I'm kind of bored with it (I have been stuck on Chapter 14 forever). I wish there were a mode that was balanced around streamlined/no-grinding play.. >__>

No grinding runs are perfectly doable on normal and hard without doing anything special. They're also possible on lunatic (which heavily restricts grinding outside of DLC anyway, like giving no experience for bonus team battles and many risen skirmishes having max level), although to do it there you need to basically pre-plan your team and focus on a small number of units.

Lunatic + is the only mode that can be broken if you don't grind or take a very specific route with your avatar, but the enemy strength there is highly based on random chance anyway, due to the enemy's exclusive skills being randomly assigned, so it's just not a well designed mode overall.

Anyway, it's very easy to break any difficult mode by hiring any well rounded lvl 20 promoted legacy characters (Like most main lords). Regarding the 1h14m run though, I don't remember how that one was done specifically. I remember a fairly quick run like that that didn't use spotpass, but I don't know if it was that one.

XaosWolf

Resetting at least forces you to redo the entire battle. I'm still cautious of keeping people alive, but I like having their be some consequence for losing a guy or killing someone important.

If people really were going the Permadeath route, then they'd have to start a new game if Chrom or their Avatar were ever killed.

ffdgh

I still can't bring myself to use perma death...the characters are just too good and I reset if I screwed up anyway since I need perfection! Also I like the casual battle saves since certain characters sometimes have special dialogue with the map bosses.

Why, why, do people play on classic and then reset if a fight goes wrong? Gosh, such hypocrisy. Just admit it to yourself and play the other mode ... ?
This has pissed me off with X-Com aswell.
Forcing a perfect playthrough makes the game more puzzle-like. Perma-death lets you scrape by with sloppy play since replacement units are in abundance.

They're simply different ways to play.

Auskeek

Couldn't get anyone to give me the game today in Aus; was really hoping for a break in street date.

Really looking forward to the game. Anyone know if there are spotpass features?

Damn CDON they were supposed to have send me the game before today but they haven't. This isnt the first time I had to remind them that my game is not being sent. Hopefully I get it on Monday or Tuesday now.

As for those who have played the game is hard mode a nice start for veterans? I do want a challenge and since the game allows you to level up your stats indefinitely I don't see it pushing me over the edge. I am guessing this game is not that challenging opposed to the old games.

Kumiorava

Neo Member
Woo, release day at last! It's been a really long time since the last Fire Emblem game. Too bad Amazon estimated that my copy will arrive sometime late next week. Wouldn't have had much time to play though, got some tough exams coming up. It was a mistake to play the demo yesterday, it was good and now it will be really hard to wait :F

So about the DLC: Is it somehow connected to the main story? As in is there some kind of in-universe explanation for all the DLC characters from other games and stuff?

TheBera

I preordered Fire Emblem at my local GameStop but by the time I arrived they didn't have anymore copies! Dammit :(
I'm gonna scout some other places during the day, hoping to find it.. I don't even care about the artbook anymore!

Link Man

Banned
Working on pairing up Kellam and Lissa, love how it seems to be a parody of
Chrom and Sumia
's supports.

Oh, also, cosplay:

Forkball

For EU players, making Chrom and Sumia pair up is definitely worth it. They are the closest you can get to god mode. Sumia is extremely weak early on but completely beasts once she gets those ranks.

LlLVp3Q.jpg

Probably crazy for buying a 3DS just for Fire Emblem, but eh.

NeonZ

So about the DLC: Is it somehow connected to the main story? As in is there some kind of in-universe explanation for all the DLC characters from other games and stuff?

Yes, there's an explanation in the DLC chapters for the past game characters joining Chrom's army. It's not directly connected to the main conflict though. Marth's DLC chapter (the first one) is the one that introduces the concept. They have no story presence or dialogue after joining your army though.

Danj

My copy arrived earlier today :) brought my 3DS to work, so I was able to play the first mission in my lunch break. Looks really good!

NeonZ

storafötter;54562002 said:
So there is no punishment for reclassing or upgrading classes at a early stage?

Kind of. They're talking there about class changing from one tier one class to another. Villager can't be promoted with the Master Seal.

Promotions with the Master Seal work like in previous games - promoted characters have an invisible 20 added to their current lvl. So, a lvl 1 promoted character gains experience like a lvl 21. On the other hand, "Second Seals", and class changing to another class of the same tier works differently from anything else in the series. Look at your current level, cut it by half and add it as an invisible number to your total level afterwards.

So, a villager lvl 10 class changing to mercenary will be shown as a lvl 1 mercenary, but will gain experience like a lvl 6 one due to 5 extra lvls coming from villager. If you promote to Hero when you get to lvl 10, you'll keep those 5 invisible lvls too, resulting in the lvl1 Hero counting as a lvl26 character. If, from there, you hit lvl 10 and want to class change to another second tier class with a Second Seal, you'll have to cut and add upyour real level by half, not only the visible one and then add more 20 invisible lvls due to it being a promoted class. So, it's better to use Second Seals at lower levels, especially because those invisible lvls can add up over time. there's a limit to the invisible lvs according to the difficulty though, so it never gets too bad on Normal, but Hard and Lunatic can really hurt experience gains.

There are also some other details, like how promoted classes get their second skill at lvl 15, and characters with special classes need to hit lvl 30 in them to use a Second Seal to go straight to a standard promoted class.

Of course, in the long run, unlimited grinding means that no character will be permanently crippled by any class choice, but that's only assuming you actually want to go through extensive grinding.

Soulhouf

It's useless for him, but it's actually kinda good on Nah.

In the beginning you mean? Because once you start reclassing her, she will loose the advantage of that skill.

storafötter;54562002 said:
So there is no punishment for reclassing or upgrading classes at a early stage?

In general, you better wait to reach level 20 or be the closest possible for the other characters, because you'll gain less experience points every time you reclass/promote.
Donnel is the exception because he has an insane growth rate and will cap his stats pretty quickly.

Wiseblade

Total personality opposites too.

Joshua's kind of a boring "FE letch" though. The things I like about him are his gambling habits, his decent growths and that one conversation he has with a boss that one time. It's so delightfully casual you can't help but love it, especially if he gets a crit afterward and OHKOs the boss that turn.

Anteo

I don't even know how they managed to do that. Probably was one heck of a lucky person and/or min-maxed everything to an exact science. XD For the average player, it's definitely balanced toward grinding... ESPECIALLY if you're playing on the harder modes! And of course you will die if you don't use the pair-up in the harder modes. I think that's okay though, since that's kind of the main feature of the game. The grinding though.. not so much?

Yeah no, you can beat the game on Hard without grinding, you just have to plan ahead a little bit. I did on my last playthrough, it was pretty fun an challenging. But as a result, a new Playthrough on hard feels really really easy, and lunatic is still lunatic :(

Woo, release day at last! It's been a really long time since the last Fire Emblem game. Too bad Amazon estimated that my copy will arrive sometime late next week. Wouldn't have had much time to play though, got some tough exams coming up. It was a mistake to play the demo yesterday, it was good and now it will be really hard to wait :F

There are a few packs of DLC connected to the main story, like Future of Despair and Summer of Bonds, there's also Border between Life and Death that feel like a bunch Paralogue from the main game but much harder.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I haven't touched the demo yet. I almost relented a few days ago when I booted up the 3DS to update it, but I stood strong.

Still stand by the claim that Fire Emblem is best left to the consoles due to their track record, but I am willing to swallow the hard pill of regret once Awakening hits my workplace doorstep within the week.

Looking forward to sinking the hours and resets on a franchise that has not seen a serious love-in since Radiant Dawn. Five years is too long. We have missed you, Fire Emblem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When changing classes with a second seal level doesn't really matter. For what it's worth, the formula means even levels are better than odd levels, because reclassing at 16 will give you the same internal level as reclassing at 15. Other than that, getting to 20 just means it will add more levels to your internal level than reclassing at 10 (for example).

For promotions, you're best off either waiting until 20, or until you're capping stats in your base classes. Because as soon as you use a master seal the game will assume you were level 20 and make you level 21. Even if you were only 10, that just means you missed out on 10 levels worth of stats. And those lost 10 levels will stay will you because they will be factored in to your internal level when you reclass.

For EU players, making Chrom and Sumia pair up is definitely worth it. They are the closest you can get to god mode. Sumia is extremely weak early on but completely beasts once she gets those ranks.

Sumia is the third best choice, and the worst of the "good choices" in my opinion. She's better than Maribelle and definitely Sully, but worse than FeMU (all those class/skill options!) and Olivia.

I like the more balanced max stats and better growth rates from Olivia, and in terms of classes it basically comes down to Knight+Cleric vs Myrmidon. That basically amounts to Pavise+Renewal vs Swordfaire+Astra+Vantage.

Plus, Chrom as a father gives you a better Inigo than Cynthia.

In general, you better wait to reach level 20 or be the closest possible for the other characters, because you'll gain less experience points every time you reclass/promote.
Donnel is the exception because he has an insane growth rate and will cap his stats pretty quickly.

Thanks for the explanation, I will keep an eye out on this character. I don't want to spoil myself too much but it is good to avoid some bad decisions at times with certain characters.

Oh man, the pre-order wallet from Grainger Games was worse than I thought and I thought it was pretty terrible when I placed the pre-order.

I'm too embarrassed to take a photo of it.

It looks nothing like the sample pic they showed, except its still blue. And, er, has "Nintendo 3DS" written on it.

eu_wallet.jpg

Well, er, I'm glad I got the game from them anyway!

Kincaido

Oh man, the pre-order wallet from Grainger Games was worse than I thought and I thought it was pretty terrible when I placed the pre-order.

It looks nothing like the sample pic they showed, except its still blue. And, er, has "Nintendo 3DS" written on it.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/eu_wallet.jpg

Looks like a kid's wallet :x

eu_wallet.jpg

You better make sure the err...
Risen from Golden Gaffe
don't touch your wallet too!

Dantis

eu_wallet.jpg

Well now you've grabbed my interest, and HAVE to take a picture of it.

AkiraGr

Banned
Originally Posted by AkiraGr: View Post
I have received my copy today. So excited I haven't played a Fire Emblem game since Shadow Dragon. I just put it on my 3DS from the starting intro movie I was blown away. Yusuke Kozaki did an amazing job on the new art style of the game, it's also familiar from the no more heroes games that I love so much.

Ok now I better go and play some. I almost forgot to mention that I received a pre order bonus with my copy. It was this beautiful artbook. Enjoy.

Can you please post some scans so we can see what they included?

Why does NoA suck so much? :mad:

I had this request from Spike from the other thread. I should try but I do not own a scanner yet, maybe I will post some picture later.

The game is awesome I am on chapter 3 I did not have much time yesterday to play enough so this evening I will be all over it. Need more anime waifus....

Top Bottom