• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ohlawd

Dammit Intsys, we could have had proper rewards from the Despair DLC.

Toggle on/off to switch a kid's hair color to their "natural" color

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Is Chapter
a perpetual enemy reinforcements case? I sort of rushed through it without a trickster which means I left all the chests untouched.

zoukka

I have this weird feeling of not caring about married characters anymore. I just want fresh single people to fight... still haven't pimped avatar to anyone.

I have this weird feeling of not caring about married characters anymore. I just want fresh single people to fight... still haven't pimped avatar to anyone.

And, that's when all ZA CHILDREN appear!

In my first run, I basically replaced all the parents with their kids once I got them all.

Spotpass characters Euro folks don't read

Gangrel: Why do you wander off after battles like that, fool? You'll get hurt!
Emmeryn: I'm just... going for walks. I'm sorry I... worried you.

D'awwwww ):

:( :( :(

It's still really stupid Spotpass Paralogue characters can only have supports with Robin.
Yep, one of my only real issues with the game. I have a feeling it was due to a lack of time too, not because the intentionally left them out. I doubt they'd put so much effort into giving the majority of the characters so many supports, and then just give up at the end.

I would actually pay money for some more supports for the late characters. At least they get some conversations in the Scrambles.

zoukka

And I hate that Chrom's fate was to be married to the most useless character ever.

Also for some reason Donnells and Nowis kid only seems to get underdog no matter how I arrange their skills...

And I hate that Chrom's fate was to be married to the most useless character ever.

Also for some reason Donnells and Nowis kid only seems to get underdog no matter how I arrange their skills...
The skills that pass over are whatever is at the bottom of Donnel and Nowi's skill list. (Same for every second gen character.)

zoukka

The skills that pass over are whatever is at the bottom of Donnel and Nowi's skill list. (Same for every second gen character.)

I know this, but he only shows underdog. I have aptitude for Donny as the bottom and whatever for Nowi. Could it be that aptitude and the nowi skill are just skills you can't inherit? Or is the pot headed villager their kid at all?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I'm continuing to make my Bride Brigade and came across the Laurent x Miriel A support, which is like the weakest thing ever; how disappointing.

I know this, but he only shows underdog. I have aptitude for Donny as the bottom and whatever for Nowi. Could it be that aptitude and the nowi skill are just skills you can't inherit? Or is the pot headed villager their kid at all?

Are you making sure the skills are at the bottom of the list in the "equip skill" screen? If you haven't moved them around it'll automatically be the last skill the character got.

zoukka

Are you making sure the skills are at the bottom of the list in the "equip skill" screen? If you haven't moved them around it'll automatically be the last skill the character got.

Tried it again. Donnell with aptitude. Nowi with strength +2 (just to experiment). Holland only has underdog visible in the mission. I just think he isn't their kid, because another child (Severa) is in the same mission...

Tried it again. Donnell with aptitude. Nowi with strength +2 (just to experiment). Holland only has underdog visible in the mission. I just think he isn't their kid, because another child (Severa) is in the same mission...
Oh.

Holland isn't a playable character and Severa is Cordelia's kid.

Nah is Nowi's child, you get her in a different mission.

ffdgh

...Umm wrong chapter...The one you're playing is for severa, Cordelia's kid.

zoukka

lol talk about weird character design then :D I immediately though donnels pot helmet was indesputable proof of their family lineage.

lol talk about weird character design then :D I immediately though donnels pot helmet was indesputable proof of their family lineage.
That's just a generic villager.

All the kids (besides Chrom's & Robin's) are derived from their mothers. The mom determine the child, and the dad determines the hair color.

This being my second 3DS game (first being Monster Hunter), I'm starting to really enjoy the 3D effect. It adds a lot of volume which is impressive because I'm used to that plane shit you usually get. The class promotions look absolutely gorgeous too. Tried playing with the slider down for a while and the game looks incredibly barren.

One troubling thing is now I find myself looking into screens instead of at them. Really weird transitioning from the 3DS to watching some TV

Torraz

Going to start the game later today.

Any must-have advice for a newcomer to the fire emblem series / this game?

Thanks!

I don't really care much about married characters other than to unlock new missions. Most of the support conversation are boring and typical anime cliches. I guess it is also a bonus to have units that start off with their parents skill set.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Had an oh shit moment on R&R3. Didn't get to Jaffar and he proc'd lethality on Tiki. Cordelia guarded though, which I didn't even know could happen on lethality.

Going to start the game later today.

Any must-have advice for a newcomer to the fire emblem series / this game?

Thanks!

Don't overuse Frederick, just use him in emergencies and for his pair up bonus. He starts off insanely strong, but that will taper off and he eats up experience that the rest of your party needs to get stronger.

Weapons break, and you pretty much always buy new ones to replace them, not repair them.

Don't try to level everyone too evenly or you'll spread experience too thin and have to grind. Have a main group of characters instead.

Ignore all the perfectionist stuff in this thread about passing down skills and ideal S-ranks until another playthrough when you have a better grasp of everything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Most of his classes use axes so getting Axefaire from Berserker wouldn't be a bad choice, especially if you plan to leave him in an axe class. Taguel isn't as good as Manakete so you're not really missing anything by not keeping him as a Taguel.

Luna from Great Knight would also be a good choice regardless of what you do with him.

TrueBlue

Most of his classes use axes so getting Axefaire from Berserker wouldn't be a bad choice, especially if you plan to leave him in an axe class. Taguel isn't as good as Manakete so you're not really missing anything by not keeping him as a Taguel.

Luna from Great Knight would also be a good choice regardless of what you do with him.

Thanks again!

Didn't think Taguel was good, planning to switch Nah and Nowi back to Manakete when time is right.

GC|Simon

As already mentioned I finished the story yesterday night after more than 31 hours. My average play session was nearly four hours long. With those stats, Fire Emblem Awakening is the number one in my 3DS activity log. People who played a Fire Emblem or another SRPG game before know what they can expect: a solid story, tons of well written dialogues with interesting characters and many exciting fights on varied maps. The game looks good, although we have seen better graphics and superior 3D effects on the 3DS. Artwork and sound are superb and support the game's look and feel.
Conclusion: Another fantastic entry in the Fire Emblem series you should not miss unless you hate SRPG games in general. I personally cannot wait for the remaining DLC and a successor on 3DS or Wii U.

Torraz

Had an oh shit moment on R&R3. Didn't get to Jaffar and he proc'd lethality on Tiki. Cordelia guarded though, which I didn't even know could happen on lethality.

Don't overuse Frederick, just use him in emergencies and for his pair up bonus. He starts off insanely strong, but that will taper off and he eats up experience that the rest of your party needs to get stronger.

Weapons break, and you pretty much always buy new ones to replace them, not repair them.

Don't try to level everyone too evenly or you'll spread experience too thin and have to grind. Have a main group of characters instead.

Ignore all the perfectionist stuff in this thread about passing down skills and ideal S-ranks until another playthrough when you have a better grasp of everything.

Thanks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Cordelia attained Maximum Armsthrift, so she's been rewarded with some nice forged weapons. A Tomahawk and Alm's Blade. Will probably replace it with a Brave Sword later.

Inigo and Gerome are both near 50 luck, at which point they'll get rewards too. Severa isn't far off either.

Those Countering-mofos are making this exp grind more irritating than it should be.

Use Javelins/Hand-Axes/Magic/Bows, if you're strong enough to be targeting the level 30 Risen specifically you should be able to kill them with those. It's not really worth using better throwing weapons unless you have the shops available for them (paralogue 23, Altena's spotpass team) and Spears/Tomahawks are overkill for Exponential Growth, but you can buy those from Ashnard if you want.

Miracle is more annoying than counter to me.

Draxal

Cordelia attained Maximum Armsthrift, so she's been rewarded with some nice forged weapons. A Tomahawk and Alm's Blade. Will probably replace it with a Brave Sword later.

Inigo and Gerome are both near 50 luck, at which point they'll get rewards too.

Cordelia makes a much better Bride or Falcon Knight than hero, lack of axefaire/swordfaire really hurts her in that role but she does get access to lancefaire (with a gungnir/gradivus/and forged brave lance she hurts alot). Her kid (with the right parent) and Inigo make much better heroes.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe. Severa is my only other Hero since Inigo is busy being an awesome Assassin.

Basically trading weapon triangle advantage for +3 strength, since I'd be restricting her to lances. I guess I do that for a couple Berserkers, so it's probably worth it in her case.

NeonZ

I have a feeling it was due to a lack of time too, not because the intentionally left them out. I doubt they'd put so much effort into giving the majority of the characters so many supports, and then just give up at the end.

I would actually pay money for some more supports for the late characters. At least they get some conversations in the Scrambles.

I think the lack of support conversations for the characters that join in the bonus maps at least was intentional. Even in the Scramble maps, they only got conversations in the third one, which came out after the point where developers had gotten fan feedback and could apply it to the chapter.

McNum

Hmm, been thinking of what to do with Morgan longterm. Right now she has Odd Rhytmn, Wyrmsbane and Sol, which makes for a better than standard Manakete, but... she could be better. Now, being Morgan she has options. A lot of options.

Here's what I've been thinking:

Morgan, Manakete:
Sol
Galeforce
Swordbreaker
Limit Breaker
<open>

What goes in the last one? Gut feeling says Pavise to limit physical damage. Too bad there's no Stonefaire skill. Could also go for Renewal or even Miracle. Armsthrift is nice and all, but Dragonstone+s aren't exactly rare and if she needs to attack more than 200 times in one mission, then... something has clearly gone terribly wrong. Got any suggestions that I'm missing?

Also what do I do with a Chrom!Cynthia? She has maxed out speed as a Pegasus Rider as is and comes with Galeforce and Aether. She has potential to be really scary, I think. But what should I do with her?

Man, why do you guys hate Kjelle? I love a girl in a full suit of plate.

Looks like these are my final pairings for characters I actually use:

Gaius + Cordelia
Henry + Sumia
Miriel + Lon'qu
Lissa + Virion
Kellam + Tharja
Chrom + Sully
Ricken + Panne

Can't seem to figure out what to do with Anna or Olivia, and I can't seem to get Libra to like anyone but Nowi...

Draxal

Hmm, been thinking of what to do with Morgan longterm. Right now she has Odd Rhytmn, Wyrmsbane and Sol, which makes for a better than standard Manakete, but... she could be better. Now, being Morgan she has options. A lot of options.

Here's what I've been thinking:

Morgan, Manakete:
Sol
Galeforce
Swordbreaker
Limit Breaker
<open>

What goes in the last one? Gut feeling says Pavise to limit physical damage. Too bad there's no Stonefaire skill. Could also go for Renewal or even Miracle. Armsthrift is nice and all, but Dragonstone+s aren't exactly rare and if she needs to attack more than 200 times in one mission, then... something has clearly gone terribly wrong. Got any suggestions that I'm missing?

Also what do I do with a Chrom!Cynthia? She has maxed out speed as a Pegasus Rider as is and comes with Galeforce and Aether. She has potential to be really scary, I think. But what should I do with her?

I'd take out swordbreaker and go aegis/pavise; just go full out tank, i'd even consider dropping galeforce and keeping swordbreaker as well.

my chrom/cynthia has dual guard +(from great knight tree)/lancefaire/limitbreaker/galeforce/aether.

McNum

I'd take out swordbreaker and go aegis/pavise; just go full out tank, i'd even consider dropping galeforce and keeping swordbreaker as well.

my chrom/cynthia has dual guard +(from great knight tree)/lancefaire/limitbreaker/galeforce/aether.
Hmm, skip Galeforce and go Aegis/Pavise/Swordbreaker? Yeah that sounds fun. And being a Manakete, the only thing she won't counter is a Longbow. Even more fun: make a very offensive character with Galeforce and pair her up with that one. I'll see if any of the other children turns out great.

What class should Cynthia end up as? I'd think Paladin, or at least something that she can use her crazy speed as. I guess I should just get her into Falcon Knight fast for Lancefaire, though. Even if she's only level 12, there's really no need to stay a Pegasus Rider when you've capped stats already.

Damn, my Stahl is a monster at this point. He just now hit Paladin on chapter 17.

Unless I bring my shittiest of shit characters, no one ever gets hit. The enemy hit percentages are absurdly low. What the hell is this?

This is on Normal

Top Bottom